You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
jones_farragut_nimitz

For whatever it is worth, an idea for USS Washington

20 comments in this topic

Members
124 posts

Not sure if this idea has been put forward before.  I am sure someone must have raised this before at some point.  But As far as I know, no US BB has hydro?  Am I correct?  

How about making the USS Washington with Hydro as it's thing?    During the Second Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, Washington dodged many torpedoes.  This would be a fitting memorial to what the ship actually did in battle.

P.S.   Then at Tier 9 you could continue the trend by adding either USS New Jersey or USS Wisconsin with Hydro as it's thing.

Just an idea from someone who would really really like to see USS Washington in the game. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 3

[-TKS-]
Members
1,265 posts
9,834 battles
14 minutes ago, jones_farragut_nimitz said:

Not sure if this idea has been put forward before.  I am sure someone must have raised this before at some point.  But As far as I know, no US BB has hydro?  Am I correct?  

How about making the USS Washington with Hydro as it's thing?    During the Second Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, Washington dodged many torpedoes.  This would be a fitting memorial to what the ship actually did in battle.

P.S.   Then at Tier 9 you could continue the trend by adding either USS New Jersey or USS Wisconsin with Hydro as it's thing.

Just an idea from someone who would really really like to see USS Washington in the game. 

Honestly I’d prefer a main battery reload booster.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,450 posts
14,816 battles

One thought I had for the Washington was an always on surface search radar that only displays on the mini map and the big map. This would give the Washington's player a lot of situational information but would not generally be useful for gunnery.

[FIRE2]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,715 battles

If we learned something from Guadalcanal, then it's the long range radar of the USN BB. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 2

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,714 posts
5,363 battles
9 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

One thought I had for the Washington was an always on surface search radar that only displays on the mini map and the big map. This would give the Washington's player a lot of situational information but would not generally be useful for gunnery.

In real life the USS Washington reduced the Kirishima to a blazing hulk using Radar Guided 16 inch rounds in 9 minutes flat. Particularly after the USS South Dakota near her had a power failure ship wide and was pounded for 8 of those minutes. One thing that ordeal proved to the Navy was the good engineering design of BB Armor Doctrine. The USS Washington in her day was considered a VERY ELITE and awesome dangerous warship having a leadership that incessantly fine tuned her entire crew to one goal. Land rounds on the enemy and sink them outright. and so they did.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,450 posts
14,816 battles
4 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

In real life the USS Washington reduced the Kirishima to a blazing hulk using Radar Guided 16 inch rounds in 9 minutes flat. Particularly after the USS South Dakota near her had a power failure ship wide and was pounded for 8 of those minutes. One thing that ordeal proved to the Navy was the good engineering design of BB Armor Doctrine. The USS Washington in her day was considered a VERY ELITE and awesome dangerous warship having a leadership that incessantly fine tuned her entire crew to one goal. Land rounds on the enemy and sink them outright. and so they did.

Yeah, Lee put on a radar clinic that night and the Kirishima kill was the real world equivalent to the games devastating strike. I agree but radar as implemented in the game is far to powerful for always on which I like for something different.

[MNR]
[MNR]
Members
82 posts
4,171 battles

I brought up the idea of bringing the USS Washington BB 56 in the game as either a t9 or 8 due to that radar at the 2nd battle of Guadalcanal. Someone also mention that it should be bundle up with USS South Dakota. 

[REVY]
Members
2,557 posts
13,776 battles
7 hours ago, Spooky39 said:

I brought up the idea of bringing the USS Washington BB 56 in the game as either a t9 or 8 due to that radar at the 2nd battle of Guadalcanal. Someone also mention that it should be bundle up with USS South Dakota. 

people already complain about NoCal being low Tiered in battles when it faces T10.

Washington would essentially be the same ship with a radar but seeing T10 even more often.

[SRBL]
Members
532 posts
13,336 battles
8 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Yeah, Lee put on a radar clinic that night and the Kirishima kill was the real world equivalent to the games devastating strike. I agree but radar as implemented in the game is far to powerful for always on which I like for something different.

Maybe a new consumable, an accuracy buff that enables, for a short period of time, much more precise aiming characteristics to mimic how well the Washington did when engaging the Kirishima.  

[KA0S]
Beta Testers
6 posts
2,596 battles

To put in my $0.02 worth...

Okay. USS Washington, BB-56. If they're going to put her in-game (PLEASE put her in the game), she needs to be a variant of the North Carolina. Still Tier VIII, because there were only two of them ever built, and there were no major differences.

However...

Okay. I'm going to put this idea forward, and probably get crucified for it, but Washington needs radar. Radar was integral to her success during the night action of 14-15 November off of Guadalcanal, because with it, she utterly demolished the Kirishima. Replace the spotting plane with it (as memory serves, she landed or flew off all her scouting planes for that action because there was concern about them catching on fire/being destroyed by the concussion from Turret 3), OR you can give her the fire rate booster. Her internal communications had been the subject of much re-working and training, due to two men aboard: Admiral Willis Lee, the foremost naval gunnery expert at the time, and her commanding officer, Captain Glenn Davis, who had taken to heart lessons learned and wanted Washington ready to come to grips with the enemy.

Additionally, if we're going to tweak some stats, then I would suggest slightly weakening her AA armament, due to the fact that historically this happened (NC got refit following a torpedo hit, and Washington had much longer to wait before her AA armament was replaced/reinforced). Additionally, increase the either the rate of fire or range of the secondary batteries (in the same engagement, the efficiency of the secondary batteries on Washington crippled and eventually sunk the destroyer Ayanami).

Thoughts? I've been a fan of Washington since I was little, and that interest with the ship continues today even into my adult life and my current career. Would greatly appreciate any evaluation of the above ideas.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,415 posts
12,296 battles
43 minutes ago, cresen1 said:

Replace the spotting plane with it (as memory serves, she landed or flew off all her scouting planes for that action because there was concern about them catching on fire/being destroyed by the concussion from Turret 3),

actually i tihink she did blast one of her planes off their catapult during her beat down on Kirishima

[PVE]
Members
126 posts
5,590 battles

I will always support every effort I see to add the Washington to the game. After reading about everything it did at Guadalcanal in the book Neptune's Inferno, I've been a fan of it ever since. I like the idea of switching out the spotter aircraft on it for radar, it could be along the lines of how Iowa and Missouri differ in game. 

Edited by JM_BB63

[PVE]
Members
126 posts
5,590 battles
11 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

actually i tihink she did blast one of her planes off their catapult during her beat down on Kirishima

According to Neptune's Inferno, it was South Dakota which fired her aft turret setting fire to her two float planes. She blasted them overboard with the following salvo. 

Edited by JM_BB63

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,766 posts

Give it an 8km radar and im on board, but for the sake of balance, what are you going to offer up as 'worse stat than seen in a NC'?

[SIM]
Members
5,582 posts
9,008 battles

I would think that she should have improved battlecruiser dispersion to reflect the effect of her aiming radar. Surveillance Radar in WoWs isn't going to let her recreate the devastation that she inflicted on Kirishima, but a better dispersion curve will.

• Cool 1

[KA0S]
Beta Testers
6 posts
2,596 battles

Honestly, I think the radar is a must (and I'd go to 10 kilometers...her antenna height is higher than that of a Baltimore or Indianapolis, so it should be at least equivalent to that in detection range), but the dispersion curve is a good idea too, I'd vote for that. To keep her from being too OP, I still say slight reduction in AA capability, which also ties in with historical accuracy. She relied more on the 1.1-inch guns for AA instead of having the 40mm (North Carolina got those in the yards after eating a torpedo off Guadalcanal, and Washington wasn't in the yards until well after that).

Would still think about upping the rate of secondary battery fire...her secondaries did a bunch of work off Guadalcanal (just ask Ayanami...).

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,100 posts
6,069 battles
12 hours ago, Dareios said:

Give it an 8km radar and im on board, but for the sake of balance, what are you going to offer up as 'worse stat than seen in a NC'?

She wouldn't be the final late war hull, means lesser HP and lesser AA.

[ENDO]
Members
111 posts

I'd rather see her at T9 or T10 and represented as the absolute monster in her class she was. Yea, T8 hull, but punching well above her weight. Accuracy, radar, and all the goodness.

• Cool 1