You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Navis_Nobilite

Why buy the USS Florida when you can get the USS Massachusetts?

10 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,920 posts
15,596 battles
21 minutes ago, Navis_Nobilite said:

Is there something about the Florida that would make it worthwhile to get, when the Massachusetts is already there and really good?

Because they are different beasts that do different things well.

[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,712 battles

Florida has Slava/Champagne accuracy formula, with the added benefit that she is tier VII, so the 25mm extremity armour doesn't make that much of a difference  with the rest of tier VII BBs when you are shot at with AP. 

Oh yeah, and 3x4 layout on a prototype North Carolina looks pretty darn cool.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 2

[SVF]
Members
2,893 posts
2,776 battles
49 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Florida has Slava/Champagne accuracy formula

Source on that, please.  As far as I know, Florida uses the Graf Spee/Superheavy cruiser formula.

[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,712 battles
14 minutes ago, landcollector said:

Source on that, please.  As far as I know, Florida uses the Graf Spee/Superheavy cruiser formula.

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/45

At least that's what the devblog mentions, and there haven't been any accuracy changes to Florida. 

If there's any other info regarding changes that I don't know, please share cause I'm curious.

Edited by warheart1992

[WDWL]
Members
1,521 posts
13,358 battles
12 hours ago, Laynester said:

Florida is tier 7. Can play tier 7 scenarios. Massachusetts is tier 8.

Scharnhorst is the only BB worthy of T7 ops.

[WAMMY]
Members
2,797 posts
17,009 battles

Hey

Florida's gun suck; they have good accuracy at range 15+ km but they struggle to do any meaningful damage and either over pen many BB's at range, cruisers at all ranges, and the HE sucks to start fires, you hits stuff but never get rewarded for your efforts.  The French Champagne is a much, much better boat than Florida.  The armor royally sucks if your being shot at, even by same tier cruisers AP.  The only good thing is her AA which is pretty decent  And Lord help you if your uptiered to T9, because you won't stand much of a chance.  Not worth buying IMHO.  Interesting idea and some things it does right but is poorly executed.  The guns need a bit of punch for use on BB's and I took the range mod which helped but game 1 was a detonation by one Gneisenau torp when I was 85% healthy, and was almost 42K damage and a loss, Game 2 was just over 60K, 2 kills and a win, very disappointing overall.  Not worth buying IMHO.

Pete

Edited by sasquatch_research
  • Meh 2

[HSSW]
Members
8 posts
19,693 battles

On 9/30/2020 at 2:50 PM, BrushWolf said:

Because they are different beasts that do different things well.

This.  Comparing a T7 light BB/heavy cruiser to a T8 BB is apples and oranges.  I picked it up because it is T7, so the worst CV I see is one tier up.  The Mass will see a CV 2 tiers up.  

I like the game at T7, with the ability to abuse T5 and knowing I need to stay at range with T9.  

The guns are more than workable IMO.  I had a game where I had 3 devastating strikes against cruisers (8 total citadel hits that game).  Another where I had a 3 citadel salvo against Duke of York while brawling.  

If you look at current stats, the Florida is overperforming against her peers.  Any buff would simply increase that overperformance.