Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dimzzy

That Shinonome

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

422
[-1]
Members
758 posts
10,602 battles

I've played five games today to complete a mission in five epochs campaign. First game there was no CV; I did 104k damage, sunk 3 ships (two dev strikes); awesome start. Next four games there were CVs and they just didn't give me a break. Only in one game I managed to score 40k damage but other three... 2-5k. This DD is slow, 2.7km air detection on smalls maps with 1.5km AA which doesn't do anything. Once they figure out where you are they just don't stop coming. So all four games I was mostly busy just running away, dodging and managing smokes. Like a rabbit. I kept CVs busy so maybe that's why I won all five games but now the mission is complete and I'm not going to play Shinonome any time soon.

I'm not sure where we stand with CV rework but seriously--the experience of playing T6 DDs is just horrible. I know, free xp is the ultimate answer, but it's a shame if that's the best advice.

  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,303
[SIMP]
Members
1,610 posts

Yep - you survived through 5 games and allowed your team to win. You tied up another ship (the CV) for the entire game that could have been spotting (perhaps the single biggest reason you won). 

You may not feel effective against an enemy CV, but your 4 winning games against them proved that you were - just not in a directly visible way (like shooting at them). And the topper - you lived through every match against the inescapable 'DD killers' (as most forumites would have you believe).

WG really needs to give XP for this kind of team play BIG TIME.

Edited by capncrunch21
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
342
[PHD]
Members
1,747 posts
7,142 battles

Pretty typical of IJN torp DDs. Asashio is the same, relatively slow with pathetic AA. 

Mid tier French DDs are similar except faster. (but no smoke and AA with less range than their air detection)

Now it seems many of the new ships are DD hunters, like the Munich (English spelling)

WG is working on changes to help but it remains to be seen if the "help" actually does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,770
[GGWP]
Members
7,218 posts
16,770 battles
49 minutes ago, capncrunch21 said:

Yep - you survived through 5 games and allowed your team to win. You tied up another ship (the CV) for the entire game that could have been spotting (perhaps the single biggest reason you won). 

You may not feel effective against an enemy CV, but your 4 winning games against them proved that you were - just not in a directly visible way (like shooting at them). And the topper - you lived through every match against the inescapable 'DD killers' (as most forumites would have you believe).

WG really needs to give XP for this kind of team play BIG TIME.

So much fun was had that players repeatedly subjected to this might have too much fun and play something else. 

  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,165
[EQRN]
Members
2,170 posts
19,149 battles

Same experience with Cossack, when enemy CV decides you don’t get to play, the game is over before it even begins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
791
[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,180 posts
10,776 battles
8 hours ago, capncrunch21 said:

Yep - you survived through 5 games and allowed your team to win. You tied up another ship (the CV) for the entire game that could have been spotting (perhaps the single biggest reason you won). 

You may not feel effective against an enemy CV, but your 4 winning games against them proved that you were - just not in a directly visible way (like shooting at them). And the topper - you lived through every match against the inescapable 'DD killers' (as most forumites would have you believe).

WG really needs to give XP for this kind of team play BIG TIME.

I disagree heavily. While what you said may be true, what kind of gameplay experience is that? Who loads up into a DD that isn't Halland hoping "If theres a CV this game he focuses me down the entire game"

Why should this job fall on the class that  has the least armor, HP, and AA, relies the most upon stealth for not only its survival but also its effectiveness? Why not the battleships who have the armor and HP to tank that kind of focus? Why not the cruisers who should (in theory) have the AA to defend themselves as well as most high tier ones having a heal on top of it. Even if this type of "team play" was rewarded, who would want to do it? It's an absolutely miserable experience from a gameplay perspective because what are you supposed to do against it? Especially as a DD. Some people want to actually put in a performance in the games they play, not just be cannon fodder for one ship on the enemy team for the majority of the game. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
766
[--V--]
Members
1,466 posts
13,793 battles

CV rework ruined many aspects of this game.   Never had these issues with RTS.  Sure, they'd spot me in a DD occasionally.   But with the rework, CVs have planes in enemy spawn 45 seconds into the match.   Worst aspect of the game.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
33 posts
5,854 battles

One of my most memorable games in the Fujin was in a two carrier game.  It was against a Bogue and an Independence, and those two kept on my butt the WHOLE game almost.  It was such a challenge escaping them while trying to remain a threat to the red team; having to figure out which carrier was after me since one of them could drop on me in smoke an one couldn't.  I think I might have only done 2k damage in that game (all gun damage against their carrier) but it was exciting nonetheless, a good win for my team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
422
[-1]
Members
758 posts
10,602 battles
11 hours ago, _Zeka said:

I disagree heavily. While what you said may be true, what kind of gameplay experience is that? Who loads up into a DD that isn't Halland hoping "If theres a CV this game he focuses me down the entire game"

Why should this job fall on the class that  has the least armor, HP, and AA, relies the most upon stealth for not only its survival but also its effectiveness? Why not the battleships who have the armor and HP to tank that kind of focus? Why not the cruisers who should (in theory) have the AA to defend themselves as well as most high tier ones having a heal on top of it. Even if this type of "team play" was rewarded, who would want to do it? It's an absolutely miserable experience from a gameplay perspective because what are you supposed to do against it? Especially as a DD. Some people want to actually put in a performance in the games they play, not just be cannon fodder for one ship on the enemy team for the majority of the game. 

That's what I was alluding to. I don't mind having some games where I have to exercise surviving skills but it should NOT be the majority of them. If you pick IJN torp boat you expect the thrilling experience of sneaking close to the enemy and trying to land these slow hard hitting torps; if you can't do it because most of the games CVs spot you the whole idea of playing IJN torp boats just does not make sense. I guess things get better on larger maps for high tiers but T6... it's just broken.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
777
Members
1,834 posts
11,835 battles
19 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Same experience with Cossack, when enemy CV decides you don’t get to play, the game is over before it even begins. 

Cossack has fast reloading smoke, improved acceleration, and speed boost. If you're getting dumpstered by a CV either they're a super unicum or you're a potato.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×