You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_JohnWick_

So I bought the Mass

23 comments in this topic

Members
103 posts
3,427 battles

Ok so after a lot of research and comments by the community, I bought the Mass this morning.  Currently at work so cannot try it out yet.

But after extensive research on forums and youtube, just trying to understand if the Secondary Build is the way to go still?  A lot of the videos and such are from a year to 2/3 years ago and I understand that WG has changed a lot of stuff like IHFE and such.

Also, I know from Tanks that you can sub crews in and out of Premium Tanks without penalty.  I know the same exists for Ships, but how do I use my North Carolina captain for a Mass Secondary build with those same characteristics won't really apply to my North Carolina?

Members
103 posts
3,427 battles

also... my signature still will not update whatsoever.. so if anyone knows how to make that work correctly.. I am all ears. :)

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,530 posts
26,273 battles

Is a secondary built the way to go? Yes and no. Are you a powergamer who wants the objectively best setup? Build for survivability. Are you someone who wants to have fun and wants to go for the memes? Go secondary. But keep in mind that you're likely to be the slowest thing on the map so to use those secondaries people will have to come to you.

• Cool 1

[KRAK]
Members
3,904 posts
26,717 battles
48 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

Ok so after a lot of research and comments by the community, I bought the Mass this morning.  Currently at work so cannot try it out yet.

But after extensive research on forums and youtube, just trying to understand if the Secondary Build is the way to go still?  A lot of the videos and such are from a year to 2/3 years ago and I understand that WG has changed a lot of stuff like IHFE and such.

Also, I know from Tanks that you can sub crews in and out of Premium Tanks without penalty.  I know the same exists for Ships, but how do I use my North Carolina captain for a Mass Secondary build with those same characteristics won't really apply to my North Carolina?

You probably should have gone with Georgia if you wanted a secondary build it is much faster and easier to get your secondarys on a target.

[-BUI-]
Members
2,797 posts
7,603 battles
1 hour ago, _JohnWick_ said:

Mass is a ship you buy specifically to play Secondary Build.    If you don't wanna play that build, don't buy it, and instead play the Tech Tree North Carolina, its the exact same ship, just without the good secondaries and better main gun accuracy.    Or if you are set on a premium, get Alabama.

The secondaries are still good, mostly for hurting low armor targets, VERY effective against DDs and light cruisers, against anything else, good fire starters.   Don't take IFHE, it does nothing for the ship anymore.

Edited by Zenn3k
  • Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
5,460 posts
11,847 battles

Secondary Massa is a late game powerhouse.  Hold back until half of their team is down and then push up.  The main batteries are awesome under 15K and the secondaries are hilarious.

BUT... you really need a dedicated captain.

• Cool 3

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,201 posts
28,860 battles
3 hours ago, _JohnWick_ said:

To get an overall tank/secondaries build, and take advantage of fast damcon and heals i recommend a captain that will work for MASS/GEORGIA/OHIO secondary fun:

PT

JAT, EM

BFT, SI

FP, AFT.

This is a good mix of tank build , while taking advantage of those 3 ships secondaries. 

For Massachusetts modoules I use:

Aux Arm Mod 1

Dam con 1

Sec Batt Mod 1

Dam con 2

Con Sys Mod 1

Note: I don't use a special captain because of the unique secondaries build.

Edited by dEsTurbed1
wrong modoules listed, corrected

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,606 posts
30,513 battles

The sole reason for Massachusetts' existence is as a strong Secondary Build ship.

She sacrifices main battery accuracy (1.7 Sigma) for a powerful, fast firing, accurate secondary battery.

If you simply want a Survival Build USN Battleship this tier, you should just have stuck with Tier VIII North Carolina (2.0 Sigma), or if you want the South Dakota-class maneuverability & TDS at the cost of some accuracy, then Premium Alabama (1.9 Sigma).

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

I definitely run a full secondary build on my selected German BBs ... but after some trial/play I found I liked the automatic approach more on the Mass ... with the new Captain skill changes in the works we may get the best of both worlds.  Regardless, this is how I'm currently set up.  It's probably not any normal recommended build, but it works for me:

mass1.thumb.jpg.891f8cce202560ab803c9ce6d158f6d2.jpg

mass2.thumb.jpg.6ad50d9aa159db1833b2444d45dad3d7.jpg

1 hour ago, JCC45 said:

Secondary Massa is a late game powerhouse.  Hold back until half of their team is down and then push up.  The main batteries are awesome under 15K and the secondaries are hilarious.

BUT... you really need a dedicated captain.

... and definitely this.  ^^^ When ready, I push into secondary range, then slow to 1/4 speed to let the secondaries work (all around) while I focus the MB on the biggest threat.  Have fun!

Members
261 posts
8,582 battles
3 hours ago, _JohnWick_ said:

I have a dedicated captain for Mass/Georgia with secondary build except I went with BoS rather than BFT (my typical secondary build). I use my tech tree BB captains on Bama. 

Edited by gebert906

Members
103 posts
3,427 battles

wow.. so much information...  a little overwhelming to be honest.

I think I'm gonna use a dedicated captain for my Mass.. so will be starting from zero skills..... might be a pain.

Members
1,004 posts
8,620 battles
9 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

wow.. so much information...  a little overwhelming to be honest.

I think I'm gonna use a dedicated captain for my Mass.. so will be starting from zero skills..... might be a pain.

Grinding an 18 point captain on the Mass will be a real pain the backside. Her Main guns are not good enough to rely on alone. Your better off re-specing a captain.  Or Regrind one American line and get some Research Bureau points than respec the captain.   This reason is exactly why i don't think the MASSA is a good ship for beginners. Even more so if you cant access the Research Bureau, do to lack of tier 10 ships.

I say 18 points because IMHO that is how many points you need to make the ship work.

Edited by Rothgar_57

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
7 hours ago, _JohnWick_ said:

IMO, if you have Mass, you pretty much need to go secondaries, at least to some degree. Otherwise, what you have is a T8 USN fast BB with the worst main gun performance out of the 3. (NC, Alabama, Mass) IOW, the only reason to get Mass over Alabama is secondaries. (I assume Alabama is available, if not, forget I said anything lol)

If you're going to be running non-secondary captains through a high-tier premium, Georgia is a much better choice due to main gun performance, speed boost, and short heal cooldown. It also is quite comfortable with a secondary captain.

[SALVO]
Members
3,898 posts
7,848 battles
7 hours ago, _JohnWick_ said:

also... my signature still will not update whatsoever.. so if anyone knows how to make that work correctly.. I am all ears. :)

Ill address the signature. Since everyone else addressed the Massachusetts which should 100% be built for secondary's. 

Anyway  yes the forum signature thing doesn't update.  The work around atm is to grab a link from wows numbers for your signature. Then go to bitly.com  drop your signature link in there and use the new link it gives you for the picture as your new forum signature. This way you can manually update your forum signature whenever you feel you reached a mylestone others should see. 

[-K--]
8,168 posts
10,777 battles
8 hours ago, _JohnWick_ said:

But after extensive research on forums and youtube, just trying to understand if the Secondary Build is the way to go still?

It's the only way. If you build for survivability, then Alabama was a better ship choice.

8 hours ago, _JohnWick_ said:

how do I use my North Carolina captain for a Mass Secondary build with those same characteristics won't really apply to my North Carolina?

You can't. Mass needs a dedicated captain.

7 hours ago, Vaffu said:

You probably should have gone with Georgia if you wanted a secondary build it is much faster and easier to get your secondarys on a target.

Georgia is worse in a secondary role for the tier. Very sluggish turning, plus being a tier higher roughly halves the number of non-DDs that you can readily pen (i.e. you stop seeing T6). Finally less shells in a salvo matters at close ranges.

5 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

To get an overall tank/secondaries build, and take advantage of fast damcon and heals i recommend a captain that will work for MASS/GEORGIA/OHIO secondary fun:

PT

JAT, EM

BFT, SI

FP, AFT.

Nah, it's much better to grab AFT, ManSec, and CE.

And no AR?! Tsk tsk.

4 hours ago, DocWalker said:

with the new Captain skill changes in the works we may get the best of both worlds

New captain skills are at best a sidegrade to BB secondary builds. I personally think they're a nerf. That secondary range increase better be good.

Members
103 posts
3,427 battles
2 hours ago, eviltane said:

Ill address the signature. Since everyone else addressed the Massachusetts which should 100% be built for secondary's. 

Anyway  yes the forum signature thing doesn't update.  The work around atm is to grab a link from wows numbers for your signature. Then go to bitly.com  drop your signature link in there and use the new link it gives you for the picture as your new forum signature. This way you can manually update your forum signature whenever you feel you reached a mylestone others should see. 

thank you

8,201 posts
28,860 battles
7 hours ago, vak_ said:

It's the only way. If you build for survivability, then Alabama was a better ship choice.

You can't. Mass needs a dedicated captain.

Georgia is worse in a secondary role for the tier. Very sluggish turning, plus being a tier higher roughly halves the number of non-DDs that you can readily pen (i.e. you stop seeing T6). Finally less shells in a salvo matters at close ranges.

Nah, it's much better to grab AFT, ManSec, and CE.

And no AR?! Tsk tsk.

New captain skills are at best a sidegrade to BB secondary builds. I personally think they're a nerf. That secondary range increase better be good.

Man sec are overkill on Massachusetts because of built in increased accuracy.

With all the HE spam, I stand by my build.

[-K--]
8,168 posts
10,777 battles
44 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Man sec are overkill on Massachusetts because of built in increased accuracy.

Not overkill. You want that accuracy at 9-11km range when brawling with the big boys, and also when you're engaging T6-T7 cruisers and DDs pretty much at any distance.

In my 151 Mass games I destroyed 52 ships with secondary alpha alone, not counting fires. ManSec works.

44 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

With all the HE spam, I stand by my build.

Mass doesn't care about fires all that much, that's what the fast heal cooldown is for.

And sure, you should play how you like, of course. I'm just pointing out that your build is objectively suboptimal. Especially so due to lack of AR, not having it is a mistake. It affects both main caliber and secondaries, and since you're a brawler, you'll be at low HP quite often.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

The tier-VIII Massachusetts can hold its own when up-tiered but where it really shines in in a match where it is both high tier and has a couple of enemy CVs to play with.

image.thumb.png.a21510b7966bd74ba92dc50f60a29ee8.png

[-K--]
8,168 posts
10,777 battles
23 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The tier-VIII Massachusetts can hold its own when up-tiered but where it really shines in in a match where it is both high tier and has a couple of enemy CVs to play with.

image.thumb.png.a21510b7966bd74ba92dc50f60a29ee8.png

Indeed. Here is one of my better games with Mass. 8 kills is the most I've ever gotten with any ship in randoms.

vBFovwF.png

She's a beast when top tier.

• Cool 1

8,201 posts
28,860 battles
9 hours ago, vak_ said:

Not overkill. You want that accuracy at 9-11km range when brawling with the big boys, and also when you're engaging T6-T7 cruisers and DDs pretty much at any distance.

In my 151 Mass games I destroyed 52 ships with secondary alpha alone, not counting fires. ManSec works.

Mass doesn't care about fires all that much, that's what the fast heal cooldown is for.

And sure, you should play how you like, of course. I'm just pointing out that your build is objectively suboptimal. Especially so due to lack of AR, not having it is a mistake. It affects both main caliber and secondaries, and since you're a brawler, you'll be at low HP quite often.

Thanks, I'll take a look at my build and see if I can work it in