You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CaptainZade_NA

Which US Cruiser Line?

30 comments in this topic

[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles

First of all, I'm sorry if I'm posting too much/ too fast, I just want to know which cruiser line in the USN tech tree to go for, people say that the light cruisers are good, and others say the heavy cruisers are good too, so which one should I pick? Do I abandon the Pensacola and just go grind the Dallas? Or maybe I should grind another cruiser line on other nations?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,768 posts
20,226 battles

Pick the one that fits your play style best. Any other answer we give is useless. Both are good lines, but they're different play styles, and you won't be happy with line <X> if you prefer the play style of <Y>.

[F4E]
Members
308 posts
8,797 battles

Lert is spot-on (again)...

As a general rule, I believe the USN CA line is better regarded as a whole (esp. the final "run" of Baltimore, Buffalo, and Des Moines)...but that is very dependent on personal preference and play style...

[GOCRY]
Members
639 posts

I'm going to recommend the heavy cruiser line, as you look like a new player from the number of battles you've played.  The heavy cruisers are a little more forgiving than the light cruisers are.  That being said, I'd actually recommend that you try the German cruiser line first.  They are the most forgiving, in my opinion.  Also, it's not a bad idea to grind more than one line at a time - it will give you more time at lower tiers to develop your map awareness and overall skill.  Plus, it will let you try out a number of different playstyles to figure out what you like the best.

• Cool 1

[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

Pick the one that fits your play style best. Any other answer we give is useless. Both are good lines, but they're different play styles, and you won't be happy with line <X> if you prefer the play style of <Y>.

1 minute ago, MN_Nice said:

As a general rule, I believe the USN CA line is better regarded as a whole (esp. the final "run" of Baltimore, Buffalo, and Des Moines)...but that is very dependent on personal preference and play style...

What's the difference of playstyles between the two of those lines?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,768 posts
20,226 battles
1 minute ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

What's the difference of playstyles between the two of those lines?

Both are lines of support ships, not meant for front line heavy combat, but - ...

• the Worcester line is a bit squisher, with higher DPM and geared for HE spam and supporting your DDs with hydro and radar. Your primary role arguably is to counter the enemy destroyers and support your own team's destroyers by engaging the enemy destroyers and burning down larger targets.
  • The Des Moines line is a bit tankier, more geared towards smart ammunition choice, your AP and HE are both very useful against the right targets. Your primary role is to defend your own team's destroyers by threatening the enemy destroyers and light cruisers, with larger targets being a target of opportunity.

[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

Both are lines of support ships, not meant for front line heavy combat, but - ...

• the Worcester line is a bit squisher, with higher DPM and geared for HE spam and supporting your DDs with hydro and radar. Your primary role arguably is to counter the enemy destroyers and support your own team's destroyers by engaging the enemy destroyers and burning down larger targets.
  • The Des Moines line is a bit tankier, more geared towards smart ammunition choice, your AP and HE are both very useful against the right targets. Your primary role is to defend your own team's destroyers by threatening the enemy destroyers and light cruisers, with larger targets being a target of opportunity.

Ok, I think I'll grind for the Des Moines first and do the light cruisers after, thanks for the help!

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,768 posts
20,226 battles
Just now, CaptainZade_NA said:

Ok, I think I'll grind for the Des Moines first and do the light cruisers after, thanks for the help!

Personally I think the German cruiser line is also very much worth considering. At higher tiers they're tougher than the Des Moines line and hit harder too, though with a bit less DPM and lacking radar.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,275 battles
1 hour ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

I just want to know which cruiser line in the USN tech tree to go for

This is a game, and games are about the people playing them having fun. Which line is most enjoyable for you when you play it? Go with that one.

56 minutes ago, MN_Nice said:

It is absolutely amazing how often @Lert manages that, ain't it!

38 minutes ago, Lert said:

I think the German cruiser line is also very much worth considering.

I agree, and would add that the French line can also be both fun and entertaining.

[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles
14 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I agree, and would add that the French line can also be both fun and entertaining.

How good are the French cruisers? I've been looking at them but I don't really like their look

[ARGSY]
Members
22,236 posts
16,204 battles

Advice, OP: When you get to the Omaha (unless you're already there), stay there until you have played her enough to unlock both lines. You have far too few battles to be going any higher right now. 

Here is Lord Zath's commentary vid of me in the Omaha two years ago, as a hapless noob:

Here, of somewhat lower quality admittedly, is one I did myself when I'd almost finished grinding out the XP for the Dallas (the second run through).

This second battle was fought very much under ideal conditions - I was top tier - but over 100K damage with not a scratch on my own ship should show you what this ship is capable of when you get some experience. And at your stage, you need all you can get before moving up.

[AK-49]
Members
402 posts
8,501 battles
9 minutes ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

How good are the French cruisers? I've been looking at them but I don't really like their look

Their speed and ammo load boost are helpful but be careful with their lack of armor. Their torpedo are fairly mediocre when I compare them to my Japanese cruisers but at least they have torpedoes unlike some of the American cruisers. I pretty much use HE most of the time and use them in support of heavier ships on my teams.

[AK-49]
Members
402 posts
8,501 battles

I've played both the CA and CL cruisers from  the US and I've done better with the CLs for some reason. I usually do better with inflicting damage using them. 

I bought the CA USS Salem with coal and I do love this ship. The auto load gives a fast firing rate but I also play it as a support ship, usually buddying up with a BB.

[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles
14 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Advice, OP: When you get to the Omaha (unless you're already there), stay there until you have played her enough to unlock both lines. You have far too few battles to be going any higher right now. 

Here is Lord Zath's commentary vid of me in the Omaha two years ago, as a hapless noob:

Here, of somewhat lower quality admittedly, is one I did myself when I'd almost finished grinding out the XP for the Dallas (the second run through).

This second battle was fought very much under ideal conditions - I was top tier - but over 100K damage with not a scratch on my own ship should show you what this ship is capable of when you get some experience. And at your stage, you need all you can get before moving up.

Thanks for the advice, the Omaha is easy to play so I've got something at least

[ARGSY]
Members
22,236 posts
16,204 battles
5 minutes ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

the Omaha is easy to play

It's both easy and difficult. I daresay that I would do a lot better in her now than I did back then, but that second battle (coming right at the end of the final grind) was so perfect that I just want to live with the happy memories and not spoil it. 

The premium version (Marblehead) is available for 34,000 coal and might be a consideration for you as a retraining ship for when you move the Omaha captain up. If you want to dedicate yourself to accumulating coal there's always the Salem - but she's Tier 10, and you will get whacked hard at that tier if you are inexperienced. The upside of the Salem is that she's a lot of fun even in co-op, and is affordable to play there.

[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It's both easy and difficult. I daresay that I would do a lot better in her now than I did back then, but that second battle (coming right at the end of the final grind) was so perfect that I just want to live with the happy memories and not spoil it. 

The premium version (Marblehead) is available for 34,000 coal and might be a consideration for you as a retraining ship for when you move the Omaha captain up. If you want to dedicate yourself to accumulating coal there's always the Salem - but she's Tier 10, and you will get whacked hard at that tier if you are inexperienced. The upside of the Salem is that she's a lot of fun even in co-op, and is affordable to play there.

My friends once told me about Salem, is there a difference between it and the Des Moines? It seems that they're the same for me at least

[ARGSY]
Members
22,236 posts
16,204 battles

My friends once told me about Salem, is there a difference between it and the Des Moines? It seems that they're the same for me at least

The Salem's radar has a shorter range (and duration, I think), and she cannot mount both radar and hydroacoustic search.

However, her ability to heal damage (particularly fire damage) is far in excess of anything the Des Moines can manage, and you're not faced with having to run premium time and/or buy a 5000 doubloon permacamo to spam the Salem in co-op. Her service costs are ridiculously cheap, more along the lines of a Tier 7 ship.

The Salem cannot mount the DM's Unique Upgrade, but the UU has recently been downgraded from must-have to matter-of-taste and this is not so much of an issue.

The Salem lacks light AA for very short range.

The hull and main guns are otherwise identical.

My take on the matter is that I have the Salem and do not need the Des Moines. I don't do Clan or Ranked battles, and any big advantage the DM has is mostly in those fields.

[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles

The Salem's radar has a shorter range (and duration, I think), and she cannot mount both radar and hydroacoustic search.

However, her ability to heal damage (particularly fire damage) is far in excess of anything the Des Moines can manage, and you're not faced with having to run premium time and/or buy a 5000 doubloon permacamo to spam the Salem in co-op. Her service costs are ridiculously cheap, more along the lines of a Tier 7 ship.

The Salem cannot mount the DM's Unique Upgrade, but the UU has recently been downgraded from must-have to matter-of-taste and this is not so much of an issue.

The Salem lacks light AA for very short range.

The hull and main guns are otherwise identical.

My take on the matter is that I have the Salem and do not need the Des Moines. I don't do Clan or Ranked battles, and any big advantage the DM has is mostly in those fields.

The service costs are cheap? I think I'll get the Salem as my first coal ship when I've saved up enough, thanks a lot!

[ARGSY]
Members
22,236 posts
16,204 battles

The service costs are cheap? I think I'll get the Salem as my first coal ship when I've saved up enough, thanks a lot!

You're quite welcome. Just remember what I said about Tier 10 Random battles/ranked/clan battles - it eats inexperienced players alive, and your team-mates will not thank you. But for bot-bashing she is glorious, glorious fun.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,162 posts
10,520 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Her radar has been buffed to have the same duration as DM, but it still lacks the range.

• Cool 1

[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles

You're quite welcome. Just remember what I said about Tier 10 Random battles/ranked/clan battles - it eats inexperienced players alive, and your team-mates will not thank you. But for bot-bashing she is glorious, glorious fun.

Don't worry, I'll watch guides on how to play that ship so I don't have to learn the hard way, I would never wish to be a liability to my team!

[ARGSY]
Members
22,236 posts
16,204 battles

Don't worry, I'll watch guides on how to play that ship so I don't have to learn the hard way, I would never wish to be a liability to my team!

The more important thing is that having the crap beaten out of you at high tier all the time, regardless of whether your team wins or loses, can be demoralizing. Play a broad range of ships of all types from as many nations as possible. It will serve you well in the long run.

Members
707 posts
11,912 battles
4 minutes ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

Salem is a blast once you learn ammo type selection. That AP can be evil at the right range/time. The super heal won't save you if you get yourself in a bad spot, so just work your way up for now.

[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The more important thing is that having the crap beaten out of you at high tier all the time, regardless of whether your team wins or loses, can be demoralizing. Play a broad range of ships of all types from as many nations as possible. It will serve you well in the long run.

Seems fair, so maybe I'll finally try out the DD classes then, my friends never seem to play them so I'll be the one to do it for when we div, I did hear that DDs are in a bad place nowadays but if I become good enough I can probably do well with them!

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,275 battles
6 hours ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

Up through tier 6 they're CLs, or light cruisers with 6 inch guns. Fair AA, quick reloads, maneuverable, fun to play. At tier 7, Algerie, they become CAs, or heavy cruisers, and are some serious machines. All 4, Algerie, Charles Martel, Saint Louis, and Henry are definite contenders at whatever tier they play at, and can deal some serious damage with a quickness. I'm at tier 9 and have loved every one and grinding hard on tier 10. I do recommend them.