You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Brhinosaurus

Rank 5 - 2 League is Dead

27 comments in this topic

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,867 battles

I managed to hit Rank 5 this season and I've been spinning my wheels here.  Every time I play, including most definitely in the "prime time" slots, it goes something like this...

Wait in queue for 3-5 minutes...

get a game! play... win!

get a game... with half the same people as the last battle.... lose!

Repeat forever.

Rank 10-6, which unfortunately I keep falling back to, does not have this problem. 

So what's the problem?  Is it still "too early" in the ranked season for the top league to be populated, even in prime time?  Or has ranked become so joyless that more people are avoiding it entirely or quitting once they get whatever rewards they're comfortable with?

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,867 battles

Honestly the queue times would be more tolerable if I had the sense that there were more than about 30 people for the game to chose from right now.  There really doesn't seem to be.

Members
2,076 posts
13,713 battles
32 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

So what's the problem?  Is it still "too early" in the ranked season for the top league to be populated, even in prime time?  Or has ranked become so joyless that more people are avoiding it entirely or quitting once they get whatever rewards they're comfortable with?

Probably the latter which is why WG is reworking ranked. Disclaimer: I haven't played ranked in years cause it feels like an overly long salty grind that's not worth the rewards so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

Most players stop at T10. WG could solve the problem easily by adding more irrevocable Ranks, but that would make the game more enjoyable, so forget that...

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

Members
1,872 posts

The first wave is probably already through or ranked out, whereas the majority is stuck between 10-6. Also, the reputation ranked and the increased availability of steel makes it less incentivized to actually play it.

Members
201 posts
12,903 battles

Weegee could save the current ranked system by adding another irrevocable rank at 5. But we have to re-invent the wheel and have a whole new system. Cause the last rework went well lol:cap_popcorn: 

• Haha 1

[TFLT]
Members
305 posts
15,955 battles

It's always like this. I started at 10 (if you hit Rank 1 than the next Season you start at 10). I always always always get to Rank 5 and then have to just stop for at least a week and wait. It takes awhile for enough players to work their way down to the First League so you can have wait times under 5 minutes. I literally just started back in again today after a 7 day break and found plenty of people in MM in the afternoon...(12pm to 5pm EST).  I also find plenty of people after 11pm EST now.

It's a thing every year. Just takes a while to get enough bodies in that bracket to make the wait times bearable. From today on you wont have any problems unless you try to get in at 5AM or something.  I got in like 25 games today with not even 1 game having more than a 45 second wait time.

Edited by CyberKnife
  • Boring 1

[TFLT]
Members
305 posts
15,955 battles
31 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

The first wave is probably already through or ranked out, whereas the majority is stuck between 10-6. Also, the reputation ranked and the increased availability of steel makes it less incentivized to actually play it.

I'm in the 1st wave. Most of us are nabbing a game or 2 last week but it just now today really started to pick up. From here on in it will be easy to get a 1st League game. All the same guys I see year after year that start Day 1 and play hard all the way down are all right with me at Rank 5, 4 and 3. A handful already ranked out but the majority of the first wave are all chilling at 5 this week waiting for enough people to get some games going. Another 3 or 5 days that first wave will be all done. I  and a bunch of others parked at Rank 5  days ago and just couldn't get games to begin to move on. Plenty in First League now to get good games pretty much around the clock now.

BTW...big Ranked tip is to start to play immediately and ride that 1st wave of really good players down to the First League. You try to start playing a week or 10 days in it is MUCH harder to get good teams. The longer you spend up in the teens the harder it gets. The player pool up in the high ranks gets worse and worse until it becomes actually quite difficult to get any kind of a team that isn't all mouth breathers. I always start Day 1 if I'm participating in a Season. That is a good tip.

Edited by CyberKnife

[FML]
Members
4,323 posts
16,611 battles
2 hours ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I managed to hit Rank 5 this season and I've been spinning my wheels here.  Every time I play, including most definitely in the "prime time" slots, it goes something like this...

get a game! play... win!

Repeat forever.

Rank 10-6, which unfortunately I keep falling back to, does not have this problem. 

Yes, this happens early on mid season. It’s very frustrating, but there isn’t a lot you can do about it except try and play at times when more Americans are online. 

29 minutes ago, Mamba_ZA said:

Weegee could save the current ranked system by adding another irrevocable rank at 5. But we have to re-invent the wheel and have a whole new system. Cause the last rework went well lol:cap_popcorn: 

You wouldn’t want the irrevocable rank to be 5, you would want it to be at R6.  Ranks 2-5 firm the top MM spread, so all those clown who are awful but are carried to R5 once would be forever stuck in battles where you are trying to rank out - making R6 irrevocable instead makes it harder for them to always fill that top bracket so less salt. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
201 posts
12,903 battles

"You wouldn’t want the irrevocable rank to be 5, you would want it to be at R6.  Ranks 2-5 firm the top MM spread, so all those clown who are awful but are carried to R5 once would be forever stuck in battles where you are trying to rank out - making R6 irrevocable instead makes it harder for them to always fill that top bracket so less salt. "'

Sure make it 6, my point being it would be more attractive to the player base if they know they have a safety net at a low rank :)
Edited by Mamba_ZA
  • Boring 1

Members
12,669 posts
14,320 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

Most players stop at T10. WG could solve the problem easily by adding more irrevocable Ranks, but that would make the game more enjoyable, so forget that...

Yeah this is very likely the reason and why Ranked Sprints go so much more smoothly than normal Ranked. Because Normal Ranked you could be 1 Star away from Rank 1, and instead fall all the way back down to bottom of Rank 12. Which is very demoralizing to have happen. Plus Ranked you have teams of players of questionable caliber as well that you have to depend on even more than in other game modes. The lack of irrevocable ranks would be so much easier if it were 1 vs 1.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,689 posts
15,869 battles

Still a bit early in the season I think. Also, the rewards seem a tad low for the amount of games you have to win.

[BIG-7]
Beta Testers
478 posts
14,594 battles

I was one star away from 5 and am now spilling my wheels back and forth in 6.  I will probably just give up.

[-1]
Members
907 posts
15,262 battles

I've ranked out last season but this one... too much stress. Maybe next one.

I think the major problem is that there are so many grinds now and the ranked season looks exactly like just another grind. And as soon as you get rank one WG comes up with another season that resets it.

Here is how to pull me back: allow to keep 15% credits discount flag for several months )))

[WOLF7]
Beta Testers
420 posts
11,284 battles

I stopped at 10.  Didn't even try past that.  For my time/skill level, it's not worth the grind and the pain to attempt to go any further.  Steel is not nearly an enticing-enough reward to play through random battles that "matter."

[KRAK]
Members
3,904 posts
26,713 battles
10 hours ago, Brhinosaurus said:

get a game! play... win!

Repeat forever.

I went from rank 15 to 5 in 40 games on the first day of ranked and now keep bouncing back and forth between 5 and 8 ><.

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,867 battles
15 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

I went from rank 15 to 5 in 40 games on the first day of ranked and now keep bouncing back and forth between 5 and 8 ><.

Same!  I had a phenomenal run to 5, with a win rate about 85%.  I was mostly playing well and when I wasn't Matchmaker was doing me enough favors that it didn't matter.  I lost the first several games into rank 5 and kept coming back.  Yesterday was my first sustained success at rank 5 but after being one win away from 4 I fell back to 6.  One game there, back to 5, called it a night.  Long queues are frustrating.  A long queue leading to a battle with the same three super-unicum guys that kicked your butt last battle showing up on the other team again is double frustrating.

Members
4,644 posts
23,840 battles

Ive got no motivation to push. Ive got a ton of steel and nothing to buy that i want.

UU are the only thing I have to motivate me. Already having all the ones I want and at this point Im playing with ships I dont like.

[HAI]
Members
95 posts
9,201 battles

The problem with the top league is it takes so many games to get through.   There aren't enough irrevocable ranks or net stars entering the system.  It can be really frustrating and net no forward progress for an entire day of playing.   So you end up with all the really experienced players and full time streamers there.  Lots of your regular players go to rank 10 or 5 for some steel and then just stop and go back to casually having fun playing ships they enjoy in randoms, while working on directives/missions.  Especially in a Tier X season.  Tier X is the worst season because you have the most ridiculous cruisers with crazy rates of fire and 12km radars.  It just doesn't make for the most fun gameplay. 

Edited by Falran

[CAZA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
587 posts
8,440 battles

I have a solution, very WG-esque...: Add bots to ranked! :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,392 battles

I feel like queues are slower this season as well, though to be fair we should probably compare against the last T10 Ranked season. Lower-tier Ranked seasons have way more players in them, which makes matchmaking faster in all leagues. Yet another reason to stop making Ranked T10.

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,867 battles
32 minutes ago, Torenico said:

I have a solution, very WG-esque...: Add bots to ranked! :Smile_trollface:

wait that Gearing that headed straight for the middle bonus in Arms Race, got radared by any one of the three Russian cruisers lurking around, and killed in the first three minutes, wasn't a bot?  Could have fooled me!  He or someone like him shows up in about half the games.