You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Navis_Nobilite

Is the Guepard good?

19 comments in this topic

[COOP2]
Alpha Tester
349 posts

I like the Jaguar. I was wondering if the Guepard was just as good for its tier. There aren't any reviews on any tech tree ships here, so I don't know if I should actually go ahead and purchase it or not.

[TBW]
Members
10,730 posts
18,435 battles

It is the next step in the French DD line, it looks like it took me 10 battles to get to the Vauquelin in Co op.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
4,667 posts

I enjoyed it quite a bit.   If you like speedy gunboats that play like mini light cruisers w/o the citadel, you'll like this.

Found it to be one of the more fun tier 6 DD's to grind through.    Farragut was great,  and Gaede is proving fun as well.   I did NOT like Gnevny,  and having to grind it a second time- with deep water torps- was even more annoying, lol.  (but it led to Gadja Mada, so I did it anyway!)

I'm now on Vauquelin, which I also like.  It hasn't seen much play as I've been working on other things...   ((huge backlog of half finished ships in port...)   Word on the street is that the Frenchie DD's really come into their own at tier 8.    If Le Terrible and Marceau are any indication,  I'd have to agree!    Nasty little monsters- both of em!

So, in sum:   If you liked Jaguar, you'll like Guepard.   Same playstyle, just an improved ship.   You now have access to the reload booster that really makes these ships shine in DD vs DD gunfights.  

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,148 posts
26,781 battles

I stopped at Guepard, but generally think I liked it.

Not a fan of smokeless DDs, (why I only play Blyskawica and Friesland, and have ignored the rest of the MN and IKEA destroyers.)

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,282 battles
2 hours ago, Navis_Nobilite said:

I like the Jaguar. I was wondering if the Guepard was just as good for its tier.

Go to YouTube and type in "Meta_Man2002"; he does videos on French DDs (in fact he's a complete freak about them). Some of his video reviews have been published in this Forum. He says they're the best DDs in the game and that he can teach you how to be successful in them. Give him a try.

• Cool 2

[COOP2]
Alpha Tester
349 posts
42 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Go to YouTube and type in "Meta_Man2002"; he does videos on French DDs (in fact he's a complete freak about them). Some of his video reviews have been published in this Forum. He says they're the best DDs in the game and that he can teach you how to be successful in them. Give him a try.

I prefer text reviews similar to how LittleWhiteMouse does it.

• Cool 1

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
1,188 posts
11,050 battles

What makes a ship good?

This is a very good question.  I believe good is working for the people, watching the alignment meter showing green rather that red.  Red is always shown as evil alignment.  Even Darth Vader's light saber was red.  I dunno if the tracer colour in an indicator of the captain alignment, but it would be cool if i could do additional damage to a ship of another alignment. 

Oh Snap!   Maybe everyone on the green team is the 'good' alignment and everyone on the red team is the not-so-good alignment.

Maybe I'm looking at this in too much detail?

Srsly - Try the LWM reviews, GL.

• Haha 2

[DOG]
Members
714 posts
12,767 battles
4 hours ago, Navis_Nobilite said:

I like the Jaguar. I was wondering if the Guepard was just as good for its tier. There aren't any reviews on any tech tree ships here, so I don't know if I should actually go ahead and purchase it or not.

French DDs don't have smoke, but do have speed, fast firing guns, and fast/long range torps.  Is that good?  I think so, but not everyone will.  The line gets better as you go up it. If you liked the play of Jaguar - keep going.

• Cool 2

[RLGN]
Members
15,148 posts
26,781 battles
10 minutes ago, dashtardly said:

French DDs don't have smoke, but do have speed, fast firing guns, and fast/long range torps.  Is that good?  I think so, but not everyone will.  The line gets better as you go up it. If you liked the play of Jaguar - keep going.

That’s just it; I don’t consider speed an advantage. In most cases, occasionally even at extremes of range, if I can see a destroyer I can hit it.

[DOG]
Members
714 posts
12,767 battles
Just now, Estimated_Prophet said:

That’s just it; I don’t consider speed an advantage. In most cases, occasionally even at extremes of range, if I can see a destroyer I can hit it.

Yes, amazing the number of fast DDs that continue to drive in a straight line

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,282 battles
2 hours ago, Navis_Nobilite said:

I prefer text reviews similar to how LittleWhiteMouse does it.

Trouble with that is LWM is the ONLY one who does it that way (that I know of), but you can check her list and see if your DD is there.

[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles
13 hours ago, Navis_Nobilite said:

Gupard is the first step the uniqueness of the french dd line..you get the reload booster...Aigle the premi tier 6 has smoke no reload booster, Gupard no smoke reload booster.....if you can get passed the no smoke and poor concelment you'll be off to the races...but it is a big hurdle...i love the french and probably have 20 french dd videos on my youtube channel Meta_Man2002,  I have gupard, siroco, Jaguar, le terrible, le fantasque, mogador, kleber, Marceau...yes its love.lol..please subscribe if you enjoy the videos..happy hunting captain 

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

No, I just finally managed to get through it and thought it sucked in comparison to the Jaguar.

The problem for me is the guns.  They are only 700 m/s velocity....on a DD that is supposed to be a gunboat......and you face tons of Tier 8s, including tier 8 DDs which are some of the best DDs in the game by far.

It was so bad or honestly, unfun because I still had some decent battles in it,  that I decided to skip the Vauquelin all together because it is also stuck with those 700 m/s velocity guns.  I just FXP'ed right up to the Le Fantastique which is actually fun to play.

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles
On 9/29/2020 at 10:54 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

The best attribute the French has is SPEED , can speed get you in trouble,yes....speed beats radar by not relying on smoke to sit in which radar is the counter to smoke in some instances...speed let's me flex to where I see a ship or cap I can take or kill..without speed you can see the possibilities but can't take action on them..to me all the nations have good attributes but you have to play to their strengths....the French have speed and reload booster.....I can fight with RB then just run away if I want to, you can't catch me...the hardest hurdle is getting used to no smoke...but I'd never trade smoke for my speed....

• Cool 1

Members
215 posts
7,381 battles

Oddly enough I do best with the non-smoking destroyers. 

Maybe it's because where there's smoke there's fire, and HE shells and AP shells, and torpedos....and blind fire....

[A-D-F]
Members
477 posts
16,213 battles

Tier 6 and 7 are the low point for the French DD line ( at least in my opinion ).

That mostly has to do with combination of slow shell MV ( only 700m/s) + shell air drag ( not Russian ) and gun bloom form  ~11.9km gun range (stock and i wouldn't mind if it was ~10km ).

Why that matters you ask? Lets say you rush forward and gank an enemy DD with your reload booster, but if there is another enemy ship with in ~12km spotting you, it is hard to disengage/ go undetected
Secondly the with 13km upgraded gun range the only thing those guns can hit are stationary BBs, AFT skill is only worth for memes of  15.6km gun range.

• Cool 1

[GNOME]
Members
82 posts
6,140 battles

I can't make this ship work for me.  The maneuverability is...low without the speed boost, it has a crapstealth torp window, and the lack of smoke makes that lack of useful AA hurt so much more.  What do you do with this thing?  The gun arcs float like hell and it feels entirely too easy to be hit by return fire because it's so [edited]large and it can't shoot down planes.