You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Yugumo: capping, killing radar cruisers and smacking Swedish destroyers.

36 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
22,421 posts
16,285 battles

I thought Yugumo was going to be a cross to bear, but it turned out to be a seriously fun grind - which is why I spammed you all with so many battles from it.

This would have to be the Yugumo battle with which I was most pleased when all was said and done. Now that grind is over, and I can play her without the pressure of needing to get somewhere.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,684 posts
12,258 battles

Shim is so much more fun for me. That why I don't get to play this one.

[PVE]
Members
4,832 posts
21,205 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I thought Yugumo was going to be a cross to bear, but it turned out to be a seriously fun grind - which is why I spammed you all with so many battles from it.

This would have to be the Yugumo battle with which I was most pleased when all was said and done. Now that grind is over, and I can play her without the pressure of needing to get somewhere.

The yuggy is a lot of fun along with her cousin the Kagero.   History has them very highly rated and respected.  In game, with radar and planes, there is no place for them anymore....  Only in COOP do they thrive.   The Shimmy is fun. 

I can't find it in me to grind at all..... 

Edited by Asym_KS

[HEROS]
Members
2,056 posts
18,699 battles

Yugumo is my goto high tier DD because of the ships flexibility,  She's so much fun that I am sloooooooowly grinding the FXP to get her nastier Tier X counterpart that shoots faster, has significantly improved AA, pack more torps, faster,, etc  ie: Hayate  just about 25% of the way there.. it's so gonna be a long grind!.  ANyway imma go watch this vid because good Yugumo driving is a joy to see!

[ARGSY]
Members
22,421 posts
16,285 battles
14 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

She's so much fun that I am sloooooooowly grinding the FXP to get her nastier Tier X counterpart that shoots faster, has significantly improved AA, pack more torps, faster,, etc  ie: Hayate 

I actually got the Hayate first. Opinions were divided as to whether she represented a heavily modified Shima (because she is at Tier 10) or a thicc Yugumo with turbocharged weaponry.  Having now driven both, I lean toward the super-Yugumo opinion. If Hayate had Kagero or even Yugumo concealment, she would have been banned on the day of her release.

18 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

In game, with radar and planes, there is no place for them anymore.

@Destroyer_KuroshioKai's vids made me confident to handle IJN Torp destroyers in the radar and carrier meta. After watching his IJN destroyer vids and climbing two lines to Tier 10 with enjoyment, I can no longer agree with your opinion. 

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
Members
2,056 posts
18,699 battles

It's taken awhile to adjust to the amount of radar out there these days at high tier for IJN DD drivers..not much you can do about the aircraft 'ecpt smoke up under 'em and hose as many down as ya can but it still hold true as a DD.. "If'n the CV wants yer ship, he's gonna get it!"  Radar.. well as long as you have torps with more range then the radar you can work it.. just always be ready to bug outta radar range!  Better yet, be out of radar range when the torps get to em!

[HMCSH]
Beta Testers
1,637 posts
21,252 battles

Yeah, folks keep saying that in today's game stealth DDs don't have a place. I disagree.

Yes in any given match we are inundated with radar and CVs....especially in tier 8 and above. While this has made life much more interesting and hazardous for DDs, I am still loving IJN Destroyers as well as the new gunboats.

I recently acquired the AL Yukikaze with 8km torps and am having a great time in her, Yes I have the odd game where a CV will try to hunt down my Shima and make life miserable for me but all in all I just don't find it that bad. I think that the shorter range torps in Yukikaze force me to play very carefully.

Still lovin DDs!

Members
710 posts
72 battles
1 hour ago, Nachoo31 said:

Shim is so much more fun for me. That why I don't get to play this one.

Both ships are great. If no CV TRB Yugumo outperforms Shima. If CV then Shimas smoke gives it so much more survivability. 

[GOB]
Members
2,513 posts

Love both of them!  Was a pleasure doing the T9 Grind to Shima.  Still like them both and play them both often.

[SALVO]
Members
57 posts
14,579 battles

I really enjoyed the so called Yugumo grind which I’ve completed recently. I’ve never run smoke and found the CVs manegable for the most part.

[PVE]
Members
4,832 posts
21,205 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

@Destroyer_KuroshioKai's vids made me confident to handle IJN Torp destroyers in the radar and carrier meta. After watching his IJN destroyer vids and climbing two lines to Tier 10 with enjoyment, I can no longer agree with your opinion. 

:cap_haloween:  I really enjoy your replies !!!

You can "force" a DD to work.....  I can "force" a  DD to work......  But, that isn't logical or practical.....especially, against dissimilar weapons and consumables that have no mitigation.    Think about it this way:  how much value can I earn in a COOP match in a DD versus a Radar and Carrier infested Random match??? 

I will live through a COOP.  I can anticipate Carriers in COOP and survive them in COOP.  I can play three, value successful games in COOP versus a Randoms 70/30 chance of a massive losing Stomp..........at less value for losing....  A lose - lose....

So, do I need @destroyer to show me what I already know; have experienced in decades of playing Harpoon; and, some of the Naval SIMs using real physics and battlespace mechanics....   No.  It's just not value added and, especially, no fun...!!

And, if you are having fun doing more for less, that's cool !  Good luck and your sense of "enjoyment" is much different than mine........  I guess my competitive hobbies kind of drive me towards the best use of what has real value......and Randoms, just doesn't have any "fun" value nor "real" value......  It's driven off so many people I know from this game.....

[FAE]
Members
2,620 posts
3,633 battles

spotting change and drop-reticle change made DDs semi-tolerable again. Big game changers. Its still incredibly tough as a ship-type to play. And if a CV wants you dead, you are still dead. 

[ARGSY]
Members
22,421 posts
16,285 battles
10 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Think about it this way:  how much value can I earn in a COOP match in a DD versus a Radar and Carrier infested Random match??? 

Ultimately, both ship and captain XP are based on base XP. Unless I have the battle of the century, I can always bring home more base XP in a single Random battle for a given effort than a single co-op. It's the most efficient use of my high-value flags and camos.

If I had unlimited Draconic flags and Mosaic/Spring Sky/Asian Lantern camos, if I could literally make them appear in infinite supply out of thin air, I'd be willing to spam them almost exclusively in co-op. I'm also much more likely to come back with my credits in the black if it's a ship for which I don't have a permacamo (and don't necessarily want to buy one). 

And sometimes I like the challenge. Playing DD in the current meta is my way of raising a middle finger to the doomsayers.

But I certainly agree that there is great joy in spamming ships like Benson and HSF Harekaze in co-op and BEGGING ON MY KNEES for there to be a CV so I can munch my way through its planes. Randoms not so much, but even then a carrier's planes can be lured into heavy AA and dissuaded from bothering me. Speaking from BOTH sides of the fence, nothing wastes a carrier player's time more than a DD driver who's willing to duck, weave and fall back on heavy friends who cut the planes up while they're looking for the destroyer (particularly when the CV's team-mates won't heed concentrated-fire requests). Time wasted doing that is time the CV can't spend doing other things.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,832 posts
21,205 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Ultimately, both ship and captain XP are based on base XP. Unless I have the battle of the century, I can always bring home more base XP in a single Random battle for a given effort than a single co-op. It's the most efficient use of my high-value flags and camos.

If I had unlimited Draconic flags and Mosaic/Spring Sky/Asian Lantern camos, if I could literally make them appear in infinite supply out of thin air, I'd be willing to spam them almost exclusively in co-op. I'm also much more likely to come back with my credits in the black if it's a ship for which I don't have a permacamo (and don't necessarily want to buy one). 

And sometimes I like the challenge. Playing DD in the current meta is my way of raising a middle finger to the doomsayers.

But I certainly agree that there is great joy in spamming ships like Benson and HSF Harekaze in co-op and BEGGING ON MY KNEES for there to be a CV so I can munch my way through its planes. Randoms not so much, but even then a carrier's planes can be lured into heavy AA and dissuaded from bothering me. Speaking from BOTH sides of the fence, nothing wastes a carrier player's time more than a DD driver who's willing to duck, weave and fall back on heavy friends who cut the planes up while they're looking for the destroyer (particularly when the CV's team-mates won't heed concentrated-fire requests). Time wasted doing that is time the CV can't spend doing other things.

A Random's value to a single COOP's value is mostly greater.......(you could always get destroyed in either early).  But, three winning COOP's to a single Random is the case since you can play two and possibly three COOP's to one Random (with everyone hiding behind Islands and no one even trying the caps.........)

And, yes, in the current meta, DD's are significantly impaired and unable to have pre-Update 8.0 great matches.  It's why I abandoned Randoms completely !  And, why my ex-Clan and so many friends from other games left the game.....

As I said:  three COOP wins is vastly more profitable than one massive Random Stomp loss: which, in my experiences was running 70/30 !  In real value, real fun and, allowing DD's to be something more than a target all game long and victim to dissimilar weapons whom you can't fight back against (outside of three or four high tier DD's;) and, a one-sided consumable with nothing you can do against, other than run and hide, to mitigate it.........  There's no challenge in being a victim:........none; because, in the end and on average day, victims always get the short end of "fair...."

So, we agree to not agree on this...... 

[ARGSY]
Members
22,421 posts
16,285 battles
3 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

A Random's value to a single COOP's value is mostly greater.......(you could always get destroyed in either early).  But, three winning COOP's to a single Random is the case since you can play two and possibly three COOP's to one Random (with everyone hiding behind Islands and no one even trying the caps.........)

Oh, I know. If you're not running flags or anything like that, you have a point. But as I've said, my flag and camo supply is not bottomless!

6 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

victim to dissimilar weapons

See also "Tier 6 BB vs Asashio". That equation cuts both ways. Nor can a CV defend itself unaided if an enemy BB or cruiser pushes through, or a DD sneaks close while the planes are busy elsewhere. 

• Cool 1

Members
2,440 posts
5,404 battles
16 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

The yuggy is a lot of fun along with her cousin the Kagero.   History has them very highly rated and respected.  In game, with radar and planes, there is no place for them anymore....  Only in COOP do they thrive.   The Shimmy is fun. 

I can't find it in me to grind at all..... 

Sorry. If you know radar ranges and play more conservative with a CV in the match, you can still be a factor in the match. 

Members
2,440 posts
5,404 battles
15 hours ago, Oldschool_Gaming_YT said:

Both ships are great. If no CV TRB Yugumo outperforms Shima. If CV then Shimas smoke gives it so much more survivability. 

To bad you don’t know that before hitting “battle button”

[ARGSY]
Members
22,421 posts
16,285 battles
Just now, Legio_X_ said:

Sorry. If you know radar ranges and play more conservative with a CV in the match, you can still be a factor in the match. 

Asym's drifting towards being co-op only and that's fine; he's welcome to it. I'm not quite willing to be so hardline about it; I still find it possible to have a lot of fun in Randoms, and it's good for those missions that can't be accomplished in co-op, but NGL co-op is my place to chill if it all gets a bit much or if the mission calls for doing something potentially reckless. 

2 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

To bad you don’t know that before hitting “battle button”

Yeah, it's a gamble you take on a battle-by-battle basis. Now that I've finished the entire IJN torpedo boat line, I should go back to Kagero and try to master the whole TRB thing. (I would say "Shiratsuyu", but I moved that captain up to become my current Yugumo commander and the Shira doesn't even have a 10 pointer in it right now whereas the Kagero's nearly to 14.)

Members
2,440 posts
5,404 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Asym's drifting towards being co-op only and that's fine; he's welcome to it. I'm not quite willing to be so hardline about it; I still find it possible to have a lot of fun in Randoms, and it's good for those missions that can't be accomplished in co-op, but NGL co-op is my place to chill if it all gets a bit much or if the mission calls for doing something potentially reckless. 

Yeah, it's a gamble you take on a battle-by-battle basis. Now that I've finished the entire IJN torpedo boat line, I should go back to Kagero and try to master the whole TRB thing. (I would say "Shiratsuyu", but I moved that captain up to become my current Yugumo commander and the Shira doesn't even have a 10 pointer in it right now whereas the Kagero's nearly to 14.)

TRB is nice, but if your good at aiming IJN torps hit hard regardless. Smoke is just needed in today’s meta. 

[PVE]
Members
4,832 posts
21,205 battles
3 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

I don't disagree that you can hide (since we know the ranges and duration of Radar ships), and sneak around, and depend of better AA ships..........and then, come on out and "make a difference"...........only to be hunted down and massacred by rocket planes since you used all of your smoke and as a DD, you have no heal (and, there are exceptions to this and the AA values......but, they are exceptions.)

My point is that it isn't "value added" to do ^^^^^^^.  Why do all of that ^^^^^ and then, get hunted down, game after game after game only to get massacred in the 19th minute and there is "nothing" you can do?  How in the world can that be considered "fun" and "full of value".............  when, I can play three COOP matches and win all three; have a lot of fun doing that; and, then watch all of the "Random experts" do what:  come to COOP to farm event requirements versus fulfilling those tasks in Random matches????   If Random matches were "that good"......don't you think Random mains would stay in Randoms???  

Time wise, for me, COOP is vastly more efficient use of my time..........and, it's fun !!!

Members
2,440 posts
5,404 battles
2 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I don't disagree that you can hide (since we know the ranges and duration of Radar ships), and sneak around, and depend of better AA ships..........and then, come on out and "make a difference"...........only to be hunted down and massacred by rocket planes since you used all of your smoke and as a DD, you have no heal (and, there are exceptions to this and the AA values......but, they are exceptions.)

My point is that it isn't "value added" to do ^^^^^^^.  Why do all of that ^^^^^ and then, get hunted down, game after game after game only to get massacred in the 19th minute and there is "nothing" you can do?  How in the world can that be considered "fun" and "full of value".............  when, I can play three COOP matches and win all three; have a lot of fun doing that; and, then watch all of the "Random experts" do what:  come to COOP to farm event requirements versus fulfilling those tasks in Random matches????   If Random matches were "that good"......don't you think Random mains would stay in Randoms???  

Time wise, for me, COOP is vastly more efficient use of my time..........and, it's fun !!!

I didn’t say win the match and still be alive. Just do enough to be a factor. Like 1 round I had where I did a lot of torp damage to 3-4 main BBs on the enemy team. I didn’t sink them but the damage done helped my team secure the kills in the mid/late game thus winning the match.

and yes a CV singled me out around mid game and that was that. 

right now I’m getting bored playing cruisers/BBs. So I’m trying to DD harder. It’s definitely a challenge In today’s meta. 

Edited by Legio_X_

[ARGSY]
Members
22,421 posts
16,285 battles
12 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

then watch all of the "Random experts" do what:  come to COOP to farm event requirements versus fulfilling those tasks in Random matches????   If Random matches were "that good"......don't you think Random mains would stay in Randoms??? 

Getting many of those tasks done quickly involve taking risks which in Random battles would be regarded as indefensible and unconscionable.

The two modes offer different things. If they made the events PvP-only, you'd be hearing howls of complaint from the co-op mob. 

16 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

get hunted down, game after game after game only to get massacred in the 19th minute and there is "nothing" you can do?

But this simply doesn't happen to me. That's why I sit here scratching my head and wondering what universe of evil matchmaking some people inhabit.

[PVE]
Members
4,832 posts
21,205 battles
16 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Getting many of those tasks done quickly involve taking risks which in Random battles would be regarded as indefensible and unconscionable.

The two modes offer different things. If they made the events PvP-only, you'd be hearing howls of complaint from the co-op mob.   (WE ARE AND HAVE !!!)

But this simply doesn't happen to me. That's why I sit here scratching my head and wondering what universe of evil matchmaking some people inhabit.

Ah, let's look at where we are today:  I have 6 combat missions listed as of yesterday and none of them are available in COOP.........  Until recently, most everything event wise was anti-PVE in some way, shape or form.....  They throw PVE a "bone" every once and a while (the mercy rule; a campaign that I just accomplished in COOP....etc...)

The "take the hint" is our host doesn't want PVE in the current dogma.  To the point many long established COOP mains are furious with our host...>!  Like, Stopped spending and even using the forum !!!  I don't think our host understands what they have done yet. 

Please, I have no reason to dissemble.........  I was running 80/20 in Random matches when I called it quits.   Who wants to be stomped eight out of ten games.   Dozens left the game I know from "other games" and many more are now COOP only because they don't want to uninstall after all of the "real money" they pumped into the game pre-Update 8.0.    Hoping for the game to mend itself I guess....

[ARGSY]
Members
22,421 posts
16,285 battles
4 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I have 6 combat missions listed as of yesterday and none of them are available in COOP

Which ones are those? If they're the ones that give Five Epochs containers, forget about them. They are ABSOLUTELY IRRELEVANT.

5 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

The "take the hint" is our host doesn't want PVE in the current dogma. 

And yet, just four weeks ago they gave us a permanent campaign in which EVERY TASK can be done in co-op. All of the directives for Anchorage can be done in co-op. Halsey can be done in co-op. Swirksi could have too, if you had the ships for it and you'd started the instant the campaign went live.

7 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I don't think our host understands what they have done yet. 

In the last two years, they've opened up so many vistas to PvE it isn't funny. After the Indianapolis Marathon, I was ready to quit the hard grind, give up on Randoms, go to low tier co-op, and forget about being able to win anything ever again. BANG, along came directives, and suddenly the world opened back up again. Just what could they do, that would make you happy?

[PVE]
Members
4,832 posts
21,205 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Which ones are those? If they're the ones that give Five Epochs containers, forget about them. They are ABSOLUTELY IRRELEVANT.

And yet, just four weeks ago they gave us a permanent campaign in which EVERY TASK can be done in co-op. All of the directives for Anchorage can be done in co-op. Halsey can be done in co-op. Swirksi could have too, if you had the ships for it and you'd started the instant the campaign went live.

In the last two years, they've opened up so many vistas to PvE it isn't funny. After the Indianapolis Marathon, I was ready to quit the hard grind, give up on Randoms, go to low tier co-op, and forget about being able to win anything ever again. BANG, along came directives, and suddenly the world opened back up again.

Just what could they do, that would make you happy?

You do realize, that they had to do something to stop the bleeding?  Did I not mention, they threw us a bone or two..... 

What is simple:  make all events and parts of events and challenges "available" to all.........even, if the COOP side is difficult.........notice I didn't say extreme.  A paying customer is not identified as a COOP or Random main?  Paying is paying......  Money is money.

So, look at it this way:  Imagine that they take my idea and run with it and COOP players now can access everything........don't you think that including them and making them happy significantly encourages sales?  Doubt this, there are several significant spenders whom are COOP only that have either left the game or have "stopped spending completely....."  And, there is no "good will" if you read the forums between our host's staff and a great many COOP mains......none.

If the goal is money and profit, inclusion is the best method to diversify your profit stream.  Who cares if a player is COOP main and hates Randoms:  IF, they are willing to spend money on this game versus uninstalling.  Good grief my friend, this is Business 101:  utilize all forms of profit; and, for GoDs sake, encourage diverse profits streams because homogeneity never exists in small niche markets !!!  Sell to all and that means include all and listen to them !!!   Sigh.

• Boring 1