You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

FYI don't make this mistake! Deep water torps.

16 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
2,503 posts

SO I am chasing a "DD" that is shooting DWT at my Tallinin from stealth.. Can't get him on Radar though.

These Deep water torps LOOK like any other deep water torps but if you aren't up to speed on all 3000 ships WG puts out you will learn the hard way that THESE torps CAN hit a Cruiser.

I asking in chat " What can fire deep water torps and is still alive?? "

I had just killed the DD I THOUGHT was sending them and 2 more sets come through.

I go straight for the source and see it ......

I had this IRIAN beat if I hadn't ignored those torps earlier and took one for a huge hit to my surprise!

A cruiser that can stealth torp. Hmmmm

Deep water torps ( Icons )  that look EXACTLY like My Deep water torps that can only do damage on BB's and CV's

If I hadn't ignored those torps I would have won the fight and my team would have won the battle.

Don't be me.

Am I missing something or did WG make BOTH types of DWT  Icons look the same???

Edited by Col_Nasty
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,783 posts
20,267 battles

The only DWTs that can't hit cruisers are on Asashio, IIRC.

• Cool 3

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,579 posts
4,223 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

This. Almost all DWTs can hit cruisers. Asashio is the exception, not the rule.

Irian isn't alone in the stealth torp department, certain RN CLs and IJN CAs can do it as well.

I actually find that having slow torps as a cruiser is often better. People expect torps and take action. No torps, think you didn't launch them, straighten out and bam, torps show up. I've been nailed by this, thought if he torped I would have seen them by now, straighten out and all of sudden the sea mines show u.

[GOB]
Members
2,503 posts
10 minutes ago, Lert said:

Yes, those are the only ones I have.  Didn't know or ever hear that there are 2 types.  Just wanted to let anyone else like me to know.

That said. The ICONS of them coming at you are Identical.

I know we can scan the enemy team at the start and know what kind there are out there but in the few seconds you have to Dodge them it's not enough time.

Lesson learnt

• Boring 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,737 posts
7,264 battles

This is a lesson that I learned the hard way as well....  A deep water torp is not necessarily a deep water torp.   Double interesting when you get a game that has a Irian and an Asashio on the enemy team.  

[GOB]
Members
2,503 posts
1 minute ago, iRA6E said:

This is a lesson that I learned the hard way as well....  A deep water torp is not necessarily a deep water torp.   Double interesting when you get a game that has a Irian and an Asashio on the enemy team.  

Thus the need for 2 different Icons.. Without that I can shoot torps and cruisers and make them panic turn all day long. 

hmmmmmmmmmm

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,308 posts

Deep water torps coming at you that cannot hit your ship, used to be circle icons.  Did they change it or something?

I know that as the ship firing them, instead of a triangle, my deep water torps are a triangle with a line over it.  They are not the same icon as normal torps.

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

Torps coming at you that could not hit your ship, used to be circle icons.  Did they change it or something? 

I dont think ive ever seen a circle icon above torpedoes ever? I know that even in my DD when deep water torps were spotted they had the same icon.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,308 posts
3 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

I dont think ive ever seen a circle icon above torpedoes ever? I know that even in my DD when deep water torps were spotted they had the same icon.

" And to further clarify, triangle with line means you can take damage from them, dot means they cannot hurt you. "

" Basically. So if you are in a DD, deepwaters will always show as dots. If you are in a BB or CV, they will always show as lined traingels. "

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
5,587 posts
9,012 battles

Regular torpedo = Inverted Triangle

Deepwater torpedo that can hit you = Inverted Triangle with a dash above it

Deepwater torpedo that cannot hit you = Dot

• Cool 2

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles
46 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

" And to further clarify, triangle with line means you can take damage from them, dot means they cannot hurt you. "

" Basically. So if you are in a DD, deepwaters will always show as dots. If you are in a BB or CV, they will always show as lined traingels. "

Huh, i may need to pay more attention next time i see them, i didnt notice the little dot above them!

Members
502 posts
209 battles
3 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

Thus the need for 2 different Icons.. Without that I can shoot torps and cruisers and make them panic turn all day long. 

hmmmmmmmmmm

I dunno.....

Should we have different icons when hit by 15 sec radar and 40sec radar?   Or do we treat all radar the same and react accordingly.

How about a different icon for slow torps and fast torps?  

How about torps that change colour in the last 500m of travel range so I don't have to dodge if I'm outside range?

Simple is best.

• Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
11,955 posts
19,486 battles
3 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

Am I missing something or did WG make BOTH types of DWT  Icons look the same??? 

They're not the same... One icon look like floating periods...

The other look like triangles. 

So far, I haven't made a mistake in knowing which type of torps are coming at me.. Its not the same for everyone.

• Cool 1

[GOB]
Members
2,503 posts
3 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

Regular torpedo = Inverted Triangle

Deepwater torpedo that can hit you = Inverted Triangle with a dash above it

Deepwater torpedo that cannot hit you = Dot

Thanx!  Never knew.  

• Cool 1

[GOB]
Members
2,503 posts
32 minutes ago, Laser_Beam said:

I dunno.....

Should we have different icons when hit by 15 sec radar and 40sec radar?   Or do we treat all radar the same and react accordingly.

How about a different icon for slow torps and fast torps?  

How about torps that change colour in the last 500m of travel range so I don't have to dodge if I'm outside range?

Working on that post count I see.

AcceptableGlassBonobo-small.gif