You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

Trying to Raise Stats After Many Years

60 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

Okeedokee, is it mathematically possible to raise one's WR and damage numbers after say 10K games? When I say raise I mean in a perceptible way.  For example, can you raise a 48% WR to 55% or is it a lost cause at some number of games?

Asking for a friend.

:cap_yes:

PS I realize that it's possible if one has an infinite amount of time.  However, what about in an average lifetime?

Edited by TheGreatBlasto
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,298 posts
11,887 battles

It's a matter of numbers. You can do it, but it requires a larger number of wins. Your friend should just work on getting better so he wins more often and not worry about the actual WR number. That will follow naturally. The number doesn't mean anything game-to-game and fixating on it is counterproductive. 

• Cool 1

[GLF]
Members
1,075 posts
17,642 battles

I am enjoying my tanked winrate more than the 59.8 or whatever that i once was.  Being middle of the road sometimes gets you targeted less than someone else with a lower or higher WR.  Not always, but sometimes.  

[WKY04]
Members
594 posts
11,925 battles
35 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Okeedokee, is it mathematically possible to raise one's WR and damage numbers after say 10K games? When I say raise I mean in a perceptible way.  For example, can you raise a 48% WR to 55% or is it a lost cause at some number of games?

Asking for a friend.

PS I realize that it's possible if one has an infinite amount of time.  However, what about in an average lifetime?

Honestly I just scoff at rerolls. Troll in match : "haha you suck! garbage player!" etc., ad nauseam.

Then i go look at their profile. 52% WR with 203 matches. Okay, buddy. Lame.

[SALVO]
Members
4,542 posts
20,872 battles

I've gone from 1200 52% at 5000 random games to 1700 56% at 13000

Not really trying harder just trying  to actually doing my best no matter how my teammates do

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
28,150 battles
47 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Asking for a friend.

It's not impossible but difficult for someone with a lot of battles. To raise a 48% wr with 10k battles to 55%, you would essentially need to get a 62%wr over 10k battles. I was green pr and green wr after ~7k battles or so and it took me around 7-8k battles to get to purple wr and another ~2k battles to get purple pr. It's definitely an uphill battles 

Edited by eagle_lance

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts
3 minutes ago, eagle_lance said:

It's not impossible but difficult for someone with a lot of battles. To raise a 48% wr with 10k battles to 55%, you would essentially need to get a 62%wr over 10k battles. 

So it's hopeless.

:Smile_sad:

• Funny 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,348 battles
50 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Okeedokee, is it mathematically possible to raise one's WR and damage numbers after say 10K games?

Why do you care? If you have fun playing, enjoy playing; worrying about your "winrate" will only take away from your enjoyment of the game.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
3,367 posts
18,441 battles
2 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

So it's hopeless.

Depends on how well you are doing now and how long you stick with it.  It took me about 2 years to go from 50% to 55.9%.  At my current WR I am improving 0.1% each month.  I just hit 10,000 battles this weekend.

image.thumb.png.b19a8d3075ca6337687d1623194cd03c.png

[SALVO]
Members
4,542 posts
20,872 battles
4 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

So it's hopeless.

It's not hopeless but you're gonna have to produce unicom numbers to grow

Ducky shot once told me he went back and started playing his lowest PR ships to bring their numbers up and that really helped his over all stats

[GGWP]
Members
7,219 posts
16,793 battles
18 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

So it's hopeless.

Not if you intend to play another 10k games  and can play at that level. 

I was going to do the math a bit more realistically for you, but I'll just leave it alone. 

Members
3,354 posts
17,140 battles
1 hour ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Asking for a friend.

According to the math you would have to average 62% WR over the next 10k battles to achieve a 55% WR.  I wouldn't hold my breath. 

[DOG]
Members
714 posts
12,816 battles

So the real question I think is - how do you intend to use your stats?  Do you consider them bragging rights? Do you want to feel superior because you have a certain level of stats?

Or... maybe you want to use the stats to track your OWN progress and ability increase?

For the later case, overall numbers aren't really valuable (especially if you have a large battle base weighing down your "improvements"). Even total damage done isn't all that useful since you can increase that just by playing higher tier ships or certain high damage dealing ships to bias the overall such that it doesn't reflect your actual performance on most tiers/ships.

See the stat's site like this one https://wowstats.org/stats/na/dashtardly/ and you can see charts plotting current progress and you can see performance down to specific ships. Alternatively you can visit https://na.wows-numbers.com/player/1001311817,dashtardly/? and see another kind of format and recent progress (7days - used to be a 30day window too).  You can do a search for your own player name and bookmark that and check back now and then.

The other advice I'd give is:

1. When sunk in a battle and there are other ships left, stay in the game and watch how those ships position themselves. You might learn something by observing and thinking about how you might play their ship differently too.  The single biggest improvement is to stay alive longer to prolong your damage dealing. May not affect your W/R much (i.e., you're the last ship alive but you haven't thrown the towel in yet) but it can help.
  2. Watch you tube videos of experienced players. I like to watch DD videos by @Destroyer_KuroshioKai as I'm more of a CA player and I've learned a lot that helps my DD play.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,857 posts
17,480 battles

Unless you are jonesing to join a hyper competitive unicum clan. Why stress? If your wanting to improve then bravo. Nothing wrong with that at all. It would be a Herculean effort with what you mentioned. Not impossible, but it would turn into real, stressful work and a lot of time.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776
  • Cool 1

[AP]
Members
1,373 posts
18,714 battles

someone asks a simple math question

some people be like "reeeeeeee stats"

:fish_palm:

on topic

possible, very hard

you could try 3ppl mid-tier division for win rate, and spamming TX UK BB or hind for damage

but if applying to clans is what concerns your friend, tell him/her to not worry

for people with large amount of battles, most of us understand people improve and just ignore overall numbers

as long as recent numbers are good, it should be all good

• Cool 1

Members
763 posts
61 battles

Maybe WR should drop your first 5000 scores from the calculations when you hit 10K games?

Nobody, really nobody, who is serious (not trying to troll you), will judge you by your overall WR. Players know to look at your recent history (past 1000 battles).

33 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

as long as recent numbers are good, it should be all good

this

But to the question, can you improve your overall 48% WR to 52% after 10 k battles? Yes you can, but I doubt you would enjoy the process. A combination of playing only one or two of your best performing ships at a 60+% WR (consistent), and we are looking at many thousands of battles.

Set yourself a more reasonable target. 49 - 50%, and have fun.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,298 posts
12,775 battles

is it mathematically possible to raise one's WR and damage numbers after say 10K games?

yes. play Tier 2 - rock out for the next 1k games. 

however this guy has the right idea....

2 hours ago, SilverPhatShips said:

I've gone from 1200 52% at 5000 random games to 1700 56% at 13000

Not really trying harder just trying  to actually doing my best no matter how my teammates do

just have FUN. don't let the stat popes get under your skin. 

[-AGW-]
Members
1,006 posts
15,360 battles

After 10k games your average is really just a measure of consistency. You won't be able to shift your numbers significantly. I took a couple of months off and since then arrived at the same average again. That's my level of competence.

In-game I take it one battle at a time. Sometimes I do very well and sometimes I do something stupid and get stomped. Occasionally it's out of my control altogether.

[SALVO]
Members
4,542 posts
20,872 battles
10 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

yes. play Tier 2 - rock out for the next 1k games. 

however this guy has the right idea....

just have FUN. don't let the stat popes get under your skin. 

I don't worry about stats, but I noticed an increase as my skill level has improved just trying to give a reference point for OP on what it took me to get from where I started to recent

[HAI]
Members
74 posts
4,538 battles
3 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Asking for a friend.

Certainly.  The best way to think about it is thinking about "What if I play as many battles as I already have done?" as that seems like a reasonable amount of time (you've done it once) and the math is easy.  If you've played 10,000 battles at 48% win rate (4800 wins) and play another 10,000 at 63% win rate (6300 wins), your win rate will be averaged up exactly between the two (11,100/20,000) to 55.5%. 

[NSEW]
Members
2,156 posts
11,540 battles
2 hours ago, Umikami said:

Why do you care? If you have fun playing, enjoy playing; worrying about your "winrate" will only take away from your enjoyment of the game.

Maybe that is their goal. To achieve a particular win rate.

Also, I read some where that one can ask WG to reset their stats?

Edited by LowSpeed_US

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,298 posts
12,775 battles
30 minutes ago, SilverPhatShips said:

I don't worry about stats, but I noticed an increase as my skill level has improved just trying to give a reference point for OP on what it took me to get from where I started to recent

o7 . that was for the OP. in fact, my post was saying you had the right idea.  

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
2,720 posts
6,816 battles
3 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

So it's hopeless.

Do not accept this answer as even a Possibility, it is not "hopeless".  It can be done and is not incredibly difficult. Also you CAN see results right away.  

Before I show you how to work with your results.    Just think, What's the alternative here?  Your "friend " going to just decide to be hum drum sad and play bad ?   Its something that I never understood. Why purposefully try and do bad ? Why not simply work away at improving and getting better?  WR is a reflection of the past and only indicates the future if they change nothing.    

Now I said you CAN see results right away. How to do that?   

First There isn't only WR there are also  PR and AVG dmg to look at. WR is the hardest needle to move because it is the smallest. If one has 10 000  random games played then each individual game can move the needle by  0.001 percent as you are compressing 5 digits into 2 or 7 into 4 if you are counting decimal points.  Where avg dmg can even at 10000  games move that needle by several points per match as you are putting 5 digit numbers into 5 digits.  Yesterday I upped my own avg dmg by +54 in 4 matches.  You can also see immediate improvements in PR where you are compressing 5 digits into 4.   

Wows-numbers and other stats sites, as they come and go, are actually wonderful to help you track your progress and see immediate results. Because they are able to take away older results and show other breakdowns of activity.   Take a look at the progress break down of mine here: 

https://na.wows-numbers.com/player/1000352878,eviltane/progress/

Its a day to day breakdown of the past week.   YES I didn't have great week on the WR side. Quite frankly I do blame some of the  Teams I rolled.  Take last night.  Played  2 games in my Grozi  FIRST match in Greece  ALL  on the  ships on the right side decide to lemming train to my A side. Because somehow giving away an entire flank and a cap and the associated firing angles , is some sort of optimal solution in their potato brains.  ..... Wonderful. I capped A.  Then had to sail all the way to the other side where me and Stalingrad that followed had to take on 4 -5 ships I did my duty as did the Stalin and the Yoshino which sadly joined us too late. Still me, Stalin and Yoshino took 1,2,3 spots all with over 1000 base XP.    Game 2 in Grozi its Hotspot and this time the wonderful team decides that huddling up in the center and giving away BOTH flanks  is a good way to go about it.  Then  I played 2 games in my GK , I had decent teams that didn't just abandon their positions and looki there  2 wins.   Beyond that this week I faced multiple instances of 3 man unicum divisions. Once even  a 3 man and a 2 man unicum division on the same team.  So I ain't mad when I loose due to either poor team play of my team or due to overwhelming skill on the enemy team.   

WHAT I do get upset with is when I myself cause issues like  I did last Thursday you can see in the PR i was at best playing below avg. I know I did dumb YOLO stuff twice. Once even way early in the beginning  like some sort of uber potato. 

However besides last Thursday the 24th I am happy with my own performance. I killed more of the enemy then they killed me.  My damage numbers keep improving, my PR keeps improving.   I know that in a 1v1 on a given flank I can give unicums a run for their money and stop all their progress.   Hell I have played against guys like Lord_Zath in a French DD while I am in my grozi and held my own. They are just simply smarter then me and when they recognize they can't win against someone fast enough they retreat and go to a flank or spot where I am not at. 

My own 2 personal biggest problems are:

1.  Avoid Yolo moments especially for the first game of the day.   This really haunts me sometimes. Especially in DDs and cruisers where I still from time to time overextend. 

2.  Find more ways to execute impactful plays. I can do damage and hold on well into the later half of the game now.  But I still fail to create game changing opportunities for myself on a regular basis. 

Anyway  Great Blasto . Please tell your friend to focus beyond WR to try to just get better at the game itself. Look into the details and he will immediately see that his stats are improving. 

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 1

Members
227 posts
1,187 battles
4 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Asking for a friend.

Yeah, that would be tough to do - but...

I don't know about WoWS, but in WoT the WR and PR/Wn8 stats most intelligent folks look at are what are called 'The Recents'.  That is, the stats from the most recent 1,000 games.  That 'WoWS Stats & Numbers' site doesn't seem to present it but maybe it is in there somewhere.  In WoT 1,000 battles is a good count to get a read on what a player is doing currently.  I don't know if a 21 day summary is enough - and WoWS Stats' next breakdown is all stats.

Nobody but idiots really care about lifetime stats.  Those are so YOU can measure YOUR growth.  If they tick up - even slowly - than you are ticking up.  If they drop than think about it for a few.  Maybe you are grinding a new ship.  Maybe you are trying new ship classes.  Maybe I have been on your team twelve games in a row and you just cannot carry my dead weight.  Whatever...  Or, it might be that you - like me - needed ENO to remind me about the iChase video on aiming.  Something dead simple, but something I needed clubbed into my brain again.

Just work on your recents and the rest will take care of itself.

My final bit of advice will sound odd.  Make your stats profile public and post those stats as a signature.  I suck.  I know I suck.  But, I want to get better so I put my crappy stats right in my face.  There it is.  Right there below this post.  But you know what - it is getting better.  I see that.  When it doesn't, I know it isn't.  Numbers don't lie.  I will not lie to myself.  I may (likely will) never be a Unicum but I will get closer as long as I see what I have to do to get there.