You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shrayes_Bhagavatula

How to Algerie?

10 comments in this topic

Members
1,108 posts
4,792 battles

Hello all.

I'm asking this question because I'm confuzzled, to say the least. My port recently welcomed a new ship, the Tier VII French Cruiser Algerie. I think that she's a great ship, with excellent fire starting capacity, meme-worthy dodging talents, and fairly good concealment as cruisers go. However, I have some issues with learning how to handle the ship. I assumed that it would largely be the same as the Shchors, Algerie's same-tier counterpart, but it doesn't feel like it. It feels bigger, clumsier, and somehow, even squishier, even with the good belt armor and the troll citadel

Could anyone please provide tips on how to play this ship? I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Shrayes

[FML]
Members
4,120 posts
16,057 battles
27 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Hello all.

I'm asking this question because I'm confuzzled, to say the least. My port recently welcomed a new ship, the Tier VII French Cruiser Algerie. I think that she's a great ship, with excellent fire starting capacity, meme-worthy dodging talents, and fairly good concealment as cruisers go. However, I have some issues with learning how to handle the ship. I assumed that it would largely be the same as the Shchors, Algerie's same-tier counterpart, but it doesn't feel like it. It feels bigger, clumsier, and somehow, even squishier, even with the good belt armor and the troll citadel

Could anyone please provide tips on how to play this ship? I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Shrayes

Sounds like you understand the Algerie’s key features. My suggestion is that you need to be about 1-1.5km further away to make the French cruisers work. You really need to be near the edge of max range, ideally where only one or two BBs can fire back at you. As such, I find French cruisers work better on the flank that is getting rolled, so kiting advancing enemy ships is easier than trying to push in. Once you nail the Algerie, it’s exactly the same playstyle in the excellent T8.5 Charles Martel and the T9 Saint Louis. Good luck!

[-TD-]
Members
5,424 posts
3,432 battles

Play it like virtually every other tier 7 cruiser. Long - maximum range HE spam as long as BBs are on the map. If not, HE spam still unless you see a broadside cruiser. That's about it. Engine boost + 8" guns makes it one of the better cruisers at this tier too.

Members
10,741 posts
18,462 battles

By my experience and what you see here. The Allegory is an inferior ship and needs to be upgraded as soon as possible.

shot-20_09.29_02_47.31-0498.thumb.jpg.b4f780997284e24dae1d067fab975645.jpg

The next ship in my opinion does much better.

shot-20_09.29_02_48.13-0612.thumb.jpg.e2102d203ea71dd43d9d8d9e1a9849fa.jpg

I know, what a difference a day makes. Some times you click with the ship, sometimes you don't, some times you learn too. Myself, I collect ships, so I really can't learn to like many. I only like the ones that make me the most Credits, which is still tier 6 ships in Operations and tier 7 when it's Narai. I play very little during Newport week, a loss every time isn't fun, which is why I play PVE in the first place. I am pretty sure that Newport never being changed, is WOWs way of getting back at us PVE players. Hell week, but it happens too often.

Oh, I also meant to say, that these are pre CV change stats, by which time I was already doing PVE only.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,261 posts
16,587 battles
4 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/243-french-cruisers/

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,448 posts
21,647 battles

As others said play it from max distance, and kite.

Use AP on broadside cruisers.

Time the usage of consumables. It was much more consistent before they give the french line the reload booster. 

[BOTO]
Members
1,418 posts
17,022 battles
8 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Hello all.

Thanks in advance

Shrayes

Play her at range, ideally you want to take advantage of her speed with the speed boost and the module the boosts the duration of her speed boost consumable and spam HE from 15km or so.  She's easier to play than Schors, while she's a bit bigger target she does maneuver better and has better armor.  Honestly she doesn't play any different than her predecessor, La Galissonnière, you're just swapping 152mm guns for 203mm guns.  Use MBRB when DDs pop up or when BBs use their damage con so you can start perma-fires. Her AP is pretty good so no reason not to use it when you get broadside targets.

I highly recommend getting the module which boosts your speed boost duration, you want to keep he speed up for as long as possible.  Plus she happens to be the *slowest* cruiser at Tier VII when not using her speed boost.  Once you get the hang of the Algerie then Charles Martel will be a breeze to play.

Members
1,106 posts
12,142 battles
10 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

I assumed that it would largely be the same as the Shchors, Algerie's same-tier counterpart,

See that’s where you screwed up.  Shchors is not the Algerie’s counterpart.  It’s Yorck’s counterpart.  Algerie is a French Yorck.  Same turret placement, same clumsy turning radius, same “Use HE only because AP sucks” methodology (until your close up), same concealement, etc. etc.  You need to play this thing like a Yorck if your going to get anywhere, long story short.  I’d write more but I’m at college now.

Again drive it like a Yorck and be creative with the speed boost.

[_BDA_]
Members
118 posts
3,523 battles

I would honestly describe her as more maneuverable Shchors with citadel that doesn't explode every time you look at it, that is armed with 203 mm guns and torpedoes that are actually usable. The same rules of playing Shchors apply, stay at range and spam HE, and protect your citadel. One other thing to mention is that her dispersion, to me at least is terrible for a cruiser so having Aiming Systems is important on her. Good luck with the grind.