Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Slimeball91

1 million FXP, what to do with it?

24 comments in this topic

[SBS]
Members
6,126 posts

I know there has been a bunch of these recently.  I just got to 1 million FXP.  I have been thinking that I'd get the Friesland.  I'm not really interested in any other FXP ship.  I'd certainly play the Friesland, but as a mostly co-op player now I don't think this ship will be nearly as strong as other DDs in co-op for grinding, if I want to gun boat I have the IJN gunboat DDs, and they have torps too.

That brings me to an alternative use for the FXP, to FXP up to T10 on a couple of lines that I'm at T8 on, both US cruiser lines.  That would bring me to the five needed T10 lines and unlock the RB.  Although, I could also buy an extra phase in the dockyard to unlock the RB without spending the FXP on the two cruisers lines.  That way I could use my FXP to go all the way through the IJN gunboat line, and have enough left over to get a good part of the way through a second time. 

This assumes I understand how the RB points work for the dockyard event.  I believe all you need to do to get RB points is finish the build early with doubloons.  You need to buy 2 phases to complete the ship, and buy a third phase to finish early should award 600 RB points when you finish grinding out the dockyard (and that will automatically unlock the RB).  

Here are some of my thoughts.

Friesland: By all accounts a good ship.  The possible downside is it's maybe not as good as ships I already have for grinding in co-op.

FXP'ing US cruisers: I'd get 4 ships, the DM and Wooster should be good ships to have, the T9 cruisers, not so much, although not easy to afford to play T10s in co-op.  Unlocks RB without spending any money, and I'd get two free super containers if I do this before the end of this patch.

Dockyard to unlock RB: I can see this being a pretty good way to use the FXP, assuming I actually regrind lines enough to buy a ship (and that ship turns out to be worth it).  That shouldn't be too hard with the new season starting up in 6 weeks or so; I'd get the 10k starting bonus, and double points now, and again in new season.  If I FXP my way through one time for the double bonus now, then use the remaining FXP to get a head start on a second regrind, I have 6 weeks to grind the line out before the new season.  When the new season starts I can grind out one more time for enough points for a ship.  I'd likely have earned enough FXP in that time to skip the T9 grind.  That might get a RB ship by sometime early next year.  At this point I'm thinking Colbert; by the time I have enough points we might have more ships to choose from.  The downside, that's a lot of work for one ship.  

I'd love to hear what you guys think, and let me know if I'm not understanding how something works.  Thanks.

[WORX]
Members
11,952 posts
19,486 battles

Do nothing... That is what I have done so far... I see no need to spend XP... Now others may disagree and that is cool as well.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,576 posts
4,223 battles

Don't FXP the USN cruisers. That will just get you two ships you have zero idea how to play. Also, there are things that only FXP can be used for. You will probably regret spending that 1M on a tech tree if another FXP ship comes out.

Friesland is a fun ship by all accounts, but yeah, no torps makes it not the best for Coop. Also if you have no experience in gunboat DDs you can't really tell if you'll like it. What other people like isn't necessarily what you like.

Dockyard doesn't unlock RB. If you don't have it unlocked already then you still get the points but you can't do anything with them until you unlock the RB.

I'd also suggest Alaska. A very good large cruiser, plays a lot like a BB with cruiser flavor. Definitely something to consider.

Members
500 posts
209 battles

I used some FXP for another super container.  I dunno if the SCs are worth 17,000,000 credits or so to buy another ship, but I decided to give it ago.  As SC's can reward FXP, I figured it was worth the gamble.

[POP]
Members
4,749 posts
12,813 battles
18 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Dockyard doesn't unlock RB. If you don't have it unlocked already then you still get the points but you can't do anything with them until you unlock the RB.

In the case of the dockyard, you actually do gain full access to the research bureau once you get your first RB points from extra stages, including the ability to reset lines (although you still need the t10 to reset the line). From the dockyard news article:

If you would rather not wait, you can complete all the shipbuilding phases in exchange for doubloons and thus obtain all the available rewards immediately. If you decide to complete construction of the ship at the Dockyard by using doubloons, you can still progress through the Directives. In that case, you'll get 600 Research Points for each completed phase instead of the standard rewards. Thus, you can earn up to 10,800 Research Points in total. If you haven't yet accessed the Research Bureau, you'll gain access to it immediately with the first Research Points you earn. At the same time, you'll receive 10,000 Research Points as a one-time reward and unlock the possibility to earn Research Points by completing Daily Missions.

[SBS]
Members
6,126 posts
16 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Do nothing... That is what I have done so far... I see no need to spend XP... Now others may disagree and that is cool as well.

I'd do that if there was something else I wanted that would be worth the wait.  I'm an entrepreneur, so lost opportunity cost is something hard for me to accept.  I could put all that FXP to work for me now.

3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Don't FXP the USN cruisers. That will just get you two ships you have zero idea how to play. Also, there are things that only FXP can be used for. You will probably regret spending that 1M on a tech tree if another FXP ship comes out.

I'm not worried about being able to play the US cruisers.  I have some experience in both of the T8s, and I'd mostly be playing in co-op, so there isn't really much to learn to be able to handle bots.

7 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Friesland is a fun ship by all accounts, but yeah, no torps makes it not the best for Coop. Also if you have no experience in gunboat DDs you can't really tell if you'll like it. What other people like isn't necessarily what you like.

I've got USN DDs, Swedish DDs, and the IJN gunnboat DDs all to T10.  I have a pretty decent idea of what to expect with Friesland.  I think it would fit in fine with my playstyle.

11 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

As I read through the dockyard rules again I'm thinking it probably doesn't work the way I thought it does.  I think you don't get any RB point unless you buy the anchorage out right with doubloons, every phase from the beginning.

Just now, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

In the case of the dockyard, you actually do gain full access to the research bureau once you get your first RB points from extra stages, including the ability to reset lines (although you still need the t10 to reset the line). From the dockyard news article: 

If you would rather not wait, you can complete all the shipbuilding phases in exchange for doubloons and thus obtain all the available rewards immediately. If you decide to complete construction of the ship at the Dockyard by using doubloons, you can still progress through the Directives. In that case, you'll get 600 Research Points for each completed phase instead of the standard rewards. Thus, you can earn up to 10,800 Research Points in total. If you haven't yet accessed the Research Bureau, you'll gain access to it immediately with the first Research Points you earn. At the same time, you'll receive 10,000 Research Points as a one-time reward and unlock the possibility to earn Research Points by completing Daily Missions.

You replied as I was writing.  I might not be understand how it works.  As I said above, you probably needed to have unlock the  anchorage right from the start with doubloons, then complete the directives to get RB points.  I didn't do that.

[WORX]
Members
11,952 posts
19,486 battles
7 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

d do that if there was something else I wanted that would be worth the wait.  I'm an entrepreneur, so lost opportunity cost is something hard for me to accept.  I could put all that FXP to work for me now.

If there is an opportunity, take it.. I just dont view in this situation, hoarding XP as a lost opportunity cost. I view it as being in a better position to get whatever is better or that entices you...

I know, we live in a spend spend society... In this situation, doing nothing is IMO the best option.

Edited by Navalpride33

[POP]
Members
4,749 posts
12,813 battles
22 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

As I read through the dockyard rules again I'm thinking it probably doesn't work the way I thought it does.  I think you don't get any RB point unless you buy the anchorage out right with doubloons, every phase from the beginning.

You replied as I was writing.  I might not be understand how it works.  As I said above, you probably needed to have unlock the  anchorage right from the start with doubloons, then complete the directives to get RB points.  I didn't do that.

Assuming it works like the Odin dockyard did (and there's no reason to assume it doesn't, especially since the article states "you'll gain access to it immediately with the first research points you earn'"), in theory all you'd need to do is buy one additional stage beyond the required two. Then once you complete directive 6 and get your 21st dockyard stage, it converts to RB points and unlocks the research bureau. 

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles

I'm saving my FXP to wipe a line reset and gain access to Slava when the 2x points come around again.

2 hours ago, Laser_Beam said:

I used some FXP for another super container.  I dunno if the SCs are worth 17,000,000 credits or so to buy another ship, but I decided to give it ago.  As SC's can reward FXP, I figured it was worth the gamble.

How did you buy a supercontainer? I'm sorry wait what?

[POP]
Members
4,749 posts
12,813 battles
8 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

I'm saving my FXP to wipe a line reset and gain access to Slava when the 2x points come around again.

WoWS anniversary 'snowflake' event, the first win of the patch in each t10 gives a supercontainer. Including t10s acquired during the patch.

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
1 minute ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

WoWS anniversary 'snowflake' event, the first win of the patch in each t10 gives a supercontainer. Including t10s acquired during the patch.

Where does buying them factor into any of this?

[POP]
Members
4,749 posts
12,813 battles
3 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Where does buying them factor into any of this?

If it's a tech tree ship, you have to buy the ship before you can play it and knock off the flake for the reward. Hence the 17 million credit price.

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
Just now, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

If it's a tech tree ship, you have to buy the ship before you can play it and knock off the flake...

Maybe its owning a Missouri/Musashi, but I could never picture myself with a T10 researched but not purchased..

Plenty of T9s, T8s though, I free exped past Izumo and do not regret to this day.

[POP]
Members
4,749 posts
12,813 battles
Just now, Akeno017 said:

Maybe its owning a Missouri/Musashi, but I could never picture myself with a T10 researched but not purchased..

Plenty of T9s, T8s though, I free exped past Izumo and do not regret to this day.

That's kind of the same thing either way - once the ship is researched (even if you unlock it and then buy it right away), you're still buying the ship. The last time I had a ship unlocked but didn't purchase it was probably four years ago when I unlocked Iowa but never wanted to buy it or move further up the line (this was back before the citadels were lowered and so many people were talking about the lack of tankiness there compared to NC). 

I don't necessarily think the ship in question was sitting researched without being bought (although with only 200 battles there's a chance credits could have been an issue) since the post mentioned using free xp and then buying the ship. 

Members
124 posts

I've had pretty good results in Friesland in co-op since unlocking her; no regrets at all. You don't get the insta-kill potential of other DDs, but the rest of the package makes up for the loss. She plays much more like a CL with smoke than a conventional DD, but she's also a very consistent performer once you get in the groove with her. I haven't had as many massive damage tallies in her as with Fletcher, for example, but I've also had far fewer games ruined by an unlucky secondary hit that tanked a high-risk play- no torps means no do-or-die close range torp runs.

She's also exceptionally good for farming ribbons with. Any ribbon you can get with main guns, Friesland is an industrial-scale printing press for. Citadels? Position so a bot cruiser will have to pass broadside to you at 5km or less, and grab a dozen off one ship in the space of twenty seconds. Fires? Slap on some +fire chance signals and farm a slow BB... or two; your turret traverse and fire rate are both good enough to rain two targets simultaneously to re-light fires. Defends? Park just outside a cap and tape down the trigger. Main battery hits- 300+ in a game sound good? Aircraft kills- she's second only to Oster and the Halland twins as a flyswatter. Kills- it's actually hard to not get the killshot on whatever you're shooting at, especially if you stagger-fire your guns, because you will basically never not have a shot landing or a fire burning. The only ribbons she's locked out of farming are torp hits and floods (well, and secbat hits, but even the few DDs that have secondaries are terrible at farming hits with them). A large pile of ribbons also usually means a large pile of money.

If nothing else, she's something completely unique gameplay-wise, and that's worth 1M free XP all by itself... but you shouldn't have any issues making her pull her weight in co-op. The targets literally feed themselves to your spam.

[O_O]
Members
6,906 posts
16,569 battles

Before 'buying' your way to another T10 just so you can get another anniversary super container, consider this:

A "good" super container can contain 50,000 or 100,000 Free XP.  If you are spending more than that to get a super container, you aren't really gaining anything (especially when it turns out to be x100 signals or x50 camo).

Edited by desmo_2

Members
500 posts
209 battles
4 hours ago, Akeno017 said:

1. unlock a tier X
  2. Pay the 17million credits
  3. Play 1 co-op game.
  4. get a Super container.

TL;DR

Use FXP, Brought a SC for 17 million credits

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
11 minutes ago, Laser_Beam said:
  1. unlock a tier X
  2. Pay the 17million credits
  3. Play 1 co-op game.
  4. get a Super container.

I wouldn't really count that as !buying a SC", so much as buying a T10.

I thought you meant some sort of Armory credit trade in.

Members
500 posts
209 battles
1 minute ago, Akeno017 said:

I wouldn't really count that as !buying a SC", so much as buying a T10.

I thought you meant some sort of Armory credit trade in.

I unlocked about 5 tier X's, but had no reason to purchase them.  My only reason for dropping 100,000,000 credits (approx) was for the SC's. 

Anyhow - Tomato Tomato 

[PVE]
Members
4,814 posts
21,165 battles
8 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

I know there has been a bunch of these recently.  I just got to 1 million FXP.  I have been thinking that I'd get the Friesland.  I'm not really interested in any other FXP ship.  I'd certainly play the Friesland, but as a mostly co-op player now I don't think this ship will be nearly as strong as other DDs in co-op for grinding, if I want to gun boat I have the IJN gunboat DDs, and they have torps too.

That brings me to an alternative use for the FXP, to FXP up to T10 on a couple of lines that I'm at T8 on, both US cruiser lines.  That would bring me to the five needed T10 lines and unlock the RB.  Although, I could also buy an extra phase in the dockyard to unlock the RB without spending the FXP on the two cruisers lines.  That way I could use my FXP to go all the way through the IJN gunboat line, and have enough left over to get a good part of the way through a second time. 

This assumes I understand how the RB points work for the dockyard event.  I believe all you need to do to get RB points is finish the build early with doubloons.  You need to buy 2 phases to complete the ship, and buy a third phase to finish early should award 600 RB points when you finish grinding out the dockyard (and that will automatically unlock the RB).  

Friesland: By all accounts a good ship.  The possible downside is it's maybe not as good as ships I already have for grinding in co-op.

FXP'ing US cruisers: I'd get 4 ships, the DM and Wooster should be good ships to have, the T9 cruisers, not so much, although not easy to afford to play T10s in co-op.  Unlocks RB without spending any money, and I'd get two free super containers if I do this before the end of this patch.

Dockyard to unlock RB: I can see this being a pretty good way to use the FXP, assuming I actually regrind lines enough to buy a ship (and that ship turns out to be worth it).  That shouldn't be too hard with the new season starting up in 6 weeks or so; I'd get the 10k starting bonus, and double points now, and again in new season.  If I FXP my way through one time for the double bonus now, then use the remaining FXP to get a head start on a second regrind, I have 6 weeks to grind the line out before the new season.  When the new season starts I can grind out one more time for enough points for a ship.  I'd likely have earned enough FXP in that time to skip the T9 grind.  That might get a RB ship by sometime early next year.  At this point I'm thinking Colbert; by the time I have enough points we might have more ships to choose from.  The downside, that's a lot of work for one ship.  

I'd love to hear what you guys think, and let me know if I'm not understanding how something works.  Thanks.

I'd save it till you reach 2 million, as someone ^^^ has already said.   I find that that the minute you spend it, there is always a new update with something much better !  Additionally, I'd save it and EXP till this corporation determines the Captain skill levels as has been discussed at going to 20 to 21 or 22.......  

If that happens, the entire game economy will change and you might need that 2 million in FXP and another 2 or 3 million in EXP just be at the same place you are now......!!!  Their plan is to "devalue all players" to reset player spending.......which, infers that the game economy will be more player negative than where it is now, player positive.....   They think that will force real-money spending to offset their new economy depression and force PVP gameplay.

Stop spending and save, save, and save some more.

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
736 posts
9,753 battles
17 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I'd save it till you reach 2 million, as someone ^^^ has already said.   I find that that the minute you spend it, there is always a new update with something much better ! 

There will almost always be a new update with something that might be better.  If you just save and you don't get a new ship, you'll miss out on the experience of playing it and will always be looking towards the horizon for what may be coming next.  That being said, if you have to ask what to spend your FXP on, DO save it as apparently there's currently nothing that whet's your WoWs appetite enough to drive you to spend it. 

I'm currently in that same situation where I have over a million FXP.   When I had less, I thought once I'd get to a million, I'd want to get the Agir.   But now that I have enough FXP, I'm "meh" towards it.  So I am holding on to the FXP and just playing some of the ships in my fleet I've not had much time with and getting to know them a little better.  I've 103 ships in my fleet currently so I've already plenty to play with and no hurry for more, though I am semi-targeting the Anchorage as what may be next.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,814 posts
21,165 battles
43 minutes ago, Altwar said:

There will almost always be a new update with something that might be better.  If you just save and you don't get a new ship, you'll miss out on the experience of playing it and will always be looking towards the horizon for what may be coming next.  That being said, if you have to ask what to spend your FXP on, DO save it as apparently there's currently nothing that whet's your WoWs appetite enough to drive you to spend it. 

I'm currently in that same situation where I have over a million FXP.   When I had less, I thought once I'd get to a million, I'd want to get the Agir.   But now that I have enough FXP, I'm "meh" towards it.  So I am holding on to the FXP and just playing some of the ships in my fleet I've not had much time with and getting to know them a little better.  I've 103 ships in my fleet currently so I've already plenty to play with and no hurry for more, though I am semi-targeting the Anchorage as what may be next.

I have the Anchorage;.........and, I'm not a US ship main.....  She's meh.....to me as an IJN main.  The Agir is another, since I have just about all of the rest of her Ilk....... Oh-kay, but nothing I'd spend on.....  I have only 113 ships and the ships I really want, are not available anymore (I didn't have the "value" when they came out !)    I am saving for what is to come.........  And, I don't see much growth if everything they want to implement gets put in the game......

Patience is a virtue ! 

[CO-OP]
Members
2,308 posts
26,805 battles
13 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

I would not advise you to FXP any ship line just to get to tier 10.  If you are doing this just to get a super-container even less so.  The ROI of spending that much FXP for the contents of most super-containers is not worth it.

Friesland is a really fun ship.  If you do well with the Harugumo as a gunship, you'll do well in the Friesland.  Friesland makes those Pan-Euro DD missions much more enjoyable.

Sign in to follow this