wolfkind252

Social Security fraud?

17 comments in this topic

[NEMO]
Members
829 posts
2,992 battles

OK its 9 pm in Alberta, I just got a phone call from the United States social security administration telling me there was fraudulent activity on my disability acct? the only reason I even answered the phone was it was a 252 area code and I have a cousin in North Carolina and I thought he was calling me

[WORX]
Members
11,919 posts
19,472 battles
1 minute ago, wolfkind252 said:

OK its 9 pm in Alberta, I just got a phone call from the United States social security administration telling me there was fraudulent activity on my disability acct? the only reason I even answered the phone was it was a 252 area code and I have a cousin in North Carolina and I thought he was calling me

No one from the SS office will call anyone at these ungodly hours of the night... The Federal Gov. dont work even under normal working hrs....

Report it to the federal agency from the area code used... Importantly, report that number as fraud (if its a fraudulent number, just google it, it will tell you).

• Thanks 3

[NEMO]
Members
829 posts
2,992 battles

but it came from the United States, why would they call me even if it was the social security administration?

I'm 14, I don't think I quality for social security, besides our is a little different than yours

I juts blocked the number it was a recording anyway, kinda like when my dad got the email from his aunt in Kenya about the 64 million she wanted to put in the bank for us, he said he might have believed it if we had relatives in Kenya, and anybody in our family was that rich

[WORX]
Members
11,919 posts
19,472 battles
Just now, wolfkind252 said:

but it came from the United States, why would they call me even if it was the social security administration?

I'm 14, I don't think I quality for social security, besides our is a little different than yours

I juts blocked the number it was a recording anyway, kinda like when my dad got the email from his aunt in Kenya about the 64 million she wanted to put in the bank for us, he said he might have believed it if we had relatives in Kenya, and anybody in our family was that rich

My question would be, what is a 14 y.o. doing with a cell phone at 9PM... Who is going to be calling that said child at that ungodly hour of the night??

Just inform your parents you recived a fraud call. Report it to the authorities.. As a added precaution, add your number to Canada's national dont call registry.

[WPORT]
Members
7,105 posts
12,084 battles
23 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

Sounds like an automated phishing call.
Also seems you properly determined it wasn't in your best interests to do anything besides hang-up and possibly report the call through your phone-service's spam-call reporting procedures.

[LANCE]
Members
844 posts
6,295 battles

It’s been happening a lot lately. I’ve had 2 calls today from local numbers in my area code. It’s certainly not a new thing as these scans have been doing it over the past year a lot!!

Let your friends and family know to make them aware of it so as not to be caught out. Most people will know anyways but it’s of particular peril to older folks.

IIRC the government don’t call regarding things like this, they send a letter. They certainly don’t use robotic sounding recordings!

Best off just blocking the numbers.

[POP]
Members
4,747 posts
12,813 battles
32 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

No one from the SS office will call anyone at these ungodly hours of the night... The Federal Gov. dont work even under normal working hrs....

Report it to the federal agency from the area code used... Importantly, report that number as fraud (if its a fraudulent number, just google it, it will tell you).

For something like this, they wouldn't be calling you at any time of the day or night. The Canadian Social Security system may be slightly different, but in the US, if it's not coming via snail mail (unless you already gave them permission to contact you via email or text, and even then it would only be in certain situations mostly dealing with 2FA or appointments), it's probably not coming from the real SSA.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,571 posts
4,223 battles

It's a scam. I regularly get calls from random numbers about credit cards I don't have. If it doesn't sound right, it probably isn't. There is no reason on this planet the US SSA would be calling some random Canadian at 9pm (which is midnight on the east coast). Hang up and block the number.

Members
3,659 posts
42,290 battles

Fraudulent calls are more frequent as we approach the holidays. So is phishing emails. I still get PayPal ones.

I have a free security software given to me by my carrier to deal with spam and telemarketing. It basically blocks or ID's them and the carrier logs them in their end. If it gets out of hand, I just leave a complaint with the FCC and they are given access to the blocked numbers, they get tracked down and the government fines them to the tune of 10k dollars per call if you were already on the do not call list. 

This helps with phishing emails too. You can report those with a screenshot.

Since you reside in Canada, you probably have an agency that does similar stuff. Maybe the RCMP and some Dudley DoRight rounds them up and scolds them in to never doing that again.

Since it's international, it's remanded to the law enforcement authorities.

In your case, your government agency will ask the FBI to investigate. The perpetrators is usually found, has a hearing, you might get a letter about whether you were distressed about it, at which point you say yes. Any fines levied on the perp will include restitution that is sent to you in the form of a check. If a big company, about as much as 1k per call. A small time perp, probably nothing, but you will be told which federal prison they will be staying to bring some resolution to the case.

To better protect yourself, it probably wouldn't hurt to register your number with the FCC and be placed on the "do not call list". It's a helpful tool. It keeps telemarketers away for sure. They hate it because of the fines. They will stop by just mentioning that and the telecom consumer protection act which states the penalty imposed on telemarketers if their company refuses to comply.

I hope that helps. It's unfortunate that in this day and age, people will still commit fraud against the elderly.

But rest assured, your government and the United States takes that very seriously.

Have fun on the seas.

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,714 posts

Social Security may email or text you about programs and services, but will never ask for a return call to an unknown number. Social Security only sends emails or text messages if you have opted in to receive them and only in limited situations

https://www.ssa.gov/scam/

[APEZ]
Members
1,496 posts
9,380 battles

Calling over the Voip they can make the number appear as anything they want it to.  You will find if you call some of those "local" numbers back they do not exist.  I let them talk and waste as much time as possible, only to unload a vulgar tirade at the end.  It is one of my favorite past-times.

[NEMO]
Members
829 posts
2,992 battles
17 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

My question would be, what is a 14 y.o. doing with a cell phone at 9PM... Who is going to be calling that said child at that ungodly hour of the night??

Just inform your parents you recived a fraud call. Report it to the authorities.. As a added precaution, add your number to Canada's national dont call registry.

uh, I have a cell phone at 9 pm because its mine, I use it to communicate with family and friends, you know those people that like you

17 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Sounds like an automated phishing call.
Also seems you properly determined it wasn't in your best interests to do anything besides hang-up and possibly report the call through your phone-service's spam-call reporting procedures.

sounded like a recording to me

3 hours ago, 0NutsNBolts0 said:

Calling over the Voip they can make the number appear as anything they want it to.  You will find if you call some of those "local" numbers back they do not exist.  I let them talk and waste as much time as possible, only to unload a vulgar tirade at the end.  It is one of my favorite past-times.

Figures

13 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Fraudulent calls are more frequent as we approach the holidays. So is phishing emails. I still get PayPal ones.

I have a free security software given to me by my carrier to deal with spam and telemarketing. It basically blocks or ID's them and the carrier logs them in their end. If it gets out of hand, I just leave a complaint with the FCC and they are given access to the blocked numbers, they get tracked down and the government fines them to the tune of 10k dollars per call if you were already on the do not call list. 

This helps with phishing emails too. You can report those with a screenshot.

Since you reside in Canada, you probably have an agency that does similar stuff. Maybe the RCMP and some Dudley DoRight rounds them up and scolds them in to never doing that again.

Since it's international, it's remanded to the law enforcement authorities.

In your case, your government agency will ask the FBI to investigate. The perpetrators is usually found, has a hearing, you might get a letter about whether you were distressed about it, at which point you say yes. Any fines levied on the perp will include restitution that is sent to you in the form of a check. If a big company, about as much as 1k per call. A small time perp, probably nothing, but you will be told which federal prison they will be staying to bring some resolution to the case.

To better protect yourself, it probably wouldn't hurt to register your number with the FCC and be placed on the "do not call list". It's a helpful tool. It keeps telemarketers away for sure. They hate it because of the fines. They will stop by just mentioning that and the telecom consumer protection act which states the penalty imposed on telemarketers if their company refuses to comply.

I hope that helps. It's unfortunate that in this day and age, people will still commit fraud against the elderly.

But rest assured, your government and the United States takes that very seriously.

Have fun on the seas.

I emailed my cousin in NC this morning before school and gave him the number, he forwarded it to teh unioted States FBI afetr useing a reverse look up app he has, and found out it was a local woman in Ahoskie ( a town 15 km from him) that is like 90

• Thanks 1

[WORX]
Members
11,919 posts
19,472 battles
13 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

uh, I have a cell phone at 9 pm because its mine, I use it to communicate with family and friends, you know those people that like you

It was sarcasm, not literal in reference to the thinking process of the previous post...

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,351 posts
16,947 battles
19 hours ago, wolfkind252 said:

:Smile_great:

19 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

:Smile_great::cap_cool:Yup I believe was what's called a Phishing call which is done to get you to give up info,And no Social Security will send you official mail not call you,And it isn't just Social Security they make all kinds of Phishing calls from banks to stores I've gotten them where they claimed to be from Social Security to Amazon when getting something like this hang up and get into touch with whatever they claimed to be if you have any doubts.Give them nothing    https://www.akamai.com/us/en/products/security/enterprise-threat-protector.jsp?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtsv7BRCmARIsANu-CQcRxstarWQaNVicfe5A-F-w0_KdzrgzO9pQ4Q3PY33ocl1Nwg1JvosaArBtEALw_wcB&ef_id=Cj0KCQjwtsv7BRCmARIsANu-CQcRxstarWQaNVicfe5A-F-w0_KdzrgzO9pQ4Q3PY33ocl1Nwg1JvosaArBtEALw_wcB:G:s&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc,  https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=phishing+calls

Valkyrie Chooser of the Slain#7.png

[WOLFG]
Members
11,112 posts
10,336 battles
3 hours ago, wolfkind252 said:

I emailed my cousin in NC this morning before school and gave him the number, he forwarded it to teh unioted States FBI afetr useing a reverse look up app he has, and found out it was a local woman in Ahoskie ( a town 15 km from him) that is like 90

They can mask the number on these calls (to show a different number).

I had a lady call me about 2 weeks ago really unhappy that someone with my number kept calling her.  I had to tell her that I hadn't called anyone all day.

[NEMO]
Members
829 posts
2,992 battles

either way you look at it, I'm not disabled, I don't live in America, I'm WAY to young to get social security, even my dad is too young, to draw it here too

My cousin emailed me back and said the number was stolen from a person in Greenville, he called the woman and she told him she had received 15 calls in one day about why she is calling people , the authorities are looking into it