You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sinkthemall_2020

dumb to Game

25 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
2,925 battles

Okay got online, bought some ships and just started playing. Now I am confused on how some ships not matter what can keep concealed to 4 to 6. Even BB's it seems. I get in Random and i get my [edited]kicked and so does my team members. Is it the pay to win or am I just and dumb A_ _ or bother. No matter what kind of tactics I try it ends the same. Tell this fool what the heck to do. Should this inept player stick to Co-op. Should I spend $1000's to be satisfied. Maybe a lost cause. Suggestions for the stupid please.

[GGWP]
Members
7,206 posts
16,676 battles
7 minutes ago, Sinkthemall_2020 said:

Okay got online, bought some ships and just started playing. Now I am confused on how some ships not matter what can keep concealed to 4 to 6. Even BB's it seems. I get in Random and i get my [edited]kicked and so does my team members. Is it the pay to win or am I just and dumb A_ _ or bother. No matter what kind of tactics I try it ends the same. Tell this fool what the heck to do. Should this inept player stick to Co-op. Should I spend $1000's to be satisfied. Maybe a lost cause. Suggestions for the stupid please.

You've only played 100 random battles and 86 of them are in t8. There is a huge learning curve jumping right into t8. There are a lot of subtle game mechanics and strategies to be learnt. I would suggest playing lower tiers while you get comfortable. 

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,238 posts
9,606 battles
12 minutes ago, Sinkthemall_2020 said:

Okay got online, bought some ships and just started playing. Now I am confused on how some ships not matter what can keep concealed to 4 to 6. Even BB's it seems. I get in Random and i get my [edited]kicked and so does my team members. Is it the pay to win or am I just and dumb A_ _ or bother. No matter what kind of tactics I try it ends the same. Tell this fool what the heck to do. Should this inept player stick to Co-op. Should I spend $1000's to be satisfied. Maybe a lost cause.

Nah, not a lost cause, seems like just a lack of knowledge.

Have you read the Wiki? It explains mechanics, like concealment.

Also, if you could post a replay of a game where something happens that you don't understand, (the last 30 are automatically stored on your PC, somebody else here can tell you how to post them) people will be happy to help you.

I'm happy to help, but I do better with specific questions.

Really, as long as you can shoot half decently, are familiar with the concealment mechanics, and have at least a clue about armor and penetration, you'll be ok.

It sounds like what you really need is just some edumacatin'.

And you want to do your learning back in say, T4-5, so you can live long enough to learn stuff lol.

The fact that you came here to ask questions instead of ranting, like some do, indicates that there's hope for you yet!:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

Members
3,648 posts
42,267 battles
1 minute ago, Ducky_shot said:

You've only played 100 random battles and 86 of them are in t8. There is a huge learning curve jumping right into t8. There are a lot of subtle game mechanics and strategies to be learnt. I would suggest playing lower tiers while you get comfortable. 

This^^^^^. You are not ready young padawan.

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles

Good Spirit to jump straight in to the deep end, but if you can't swim you will sink.

Plenty of people here have shown willingness to help teach, you just need to show the same towards learning the game.

• Thanks 1

Members
139 posts
2,000 battles

I’d also watch some of ichase’s videos on YouTube, some of them are older but they still do a good job teaching you basics 

• Thanks 1

[SALVO]
Members
2,661 posts
6,775 battles
2 hours ago, Sinkthemall_2020 said:

Should I spend $1000's to be satisfied.

Money WILL NOT buy you wins. 

Tell this fool what the heck to do.

There is a lot or learning to this game, a lot of numbers to be aware off.  Start over at low tier.  Play different classes and different nations. Memorize or write down important stats  like spotting distances, radar ranges , weapon ranges.    Writing it down helps with finding trends. Soon you won’t need to even think much about that stuff.  You will just know things like who the Japanese torpedo DDs are , what ranges they have for concealment ,  even going as far as counting number of volleys and timing them. 

MOST IMPORTANTLY:   Stop playing COOP in order to  learn how to  play  against real players in this game. COOP teaches way to many really bad habits.  It teaches how to play against bots that rush.

Edited by eviltane
  • Meh 1

[WORX]
Members
11,916 posts
19,466 battles

Low tiers Random and Co-op of any tiers,  these are your best in game meter stick to see how you're progressing...

I dont recommend going past tier 6... They're a lot of mechanics, warnings, visuals, and tactics to learn... The higher tier you go, the more evident some people haven't practice these abilities.

• Boring 1

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,643 posts
12,047 battles

The spotting mechanics take a bit of time to get used to. Once you get used to them, they should make sense. I recommend the video posted previously as a good starting point.

[TBW]
Members
10,725 posts
18,431 battles

Putting money into this game won't help you win, it will help you to advance faster though and by advance I mean, with credits, XP, EXP and Free XP. Premium ships are good for advancing your captains and earn more credit etc... Co op is nothing like Random battles, so if you are practicing for Randoms there, your practicing in the wrong mode. Send some replays to @Lord_Zath and he can help figure out what you are doing wrong.

[VORTX]
Members
467 posts
6,784 battles

This might be an arcade, but its a pretty complex and challenging arcade ... do not except to do well jumping straight into tier viii randoms. Grind a line form Tier 1 and only play randoms. You'll find you're doing much better at it by the time you get to VII or so. No need to spend money on premiums unless you want to. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,169 posts
18,803 battles

Others have said it, but I'll repeat it.  With just 100 games in Random, T8 Random will be a disaster.  

This game has a boatload of deep tactics and strategy (no puns intended). And a good bit of this comes from experience.  Drop down to the lower tiers for your Random games.  Gain the experience.

Your current results might not have anything to do with your aptitude or ultimate capabilities.  Using a sports analogy, you can take the best NFL player that ever existed, put him in the pro league when he was still in high school and he would be utterly destroyed.  Experience only comes with time and play. You can't jump into the proverbial pro league and expect to play like a pro when you're still in metaphorical high school.  

• Cool 1

[JHF]
[JHF]
Members
265 posts
5,019 battles

In my opinion it is best to watch the how it works videos.  This is not a true life game so you will not always be able to see enemy ships. It is scaled down.  Thats the style.  If behind cover you will not see things.  If you are in smoke it cuts your spotting range.  You will basically have to learn to things work or be miserable and a burden to your team.

[CHBAY]
Beta Testers
609 posts
3,903 battles

Tier 8 is the deep end of the pool. Tier 5 battleships are a really good way to learn armor angling and not getting suckered into an ambush. They're all tough and forgiving ships that don't punish you for making mistakes. I'd start there.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,722 posts
5,375 battles

If magic wins and pwnage came from a 1000 dollars US etc in a given game we would have all spent it already on such rare and unicorn class stuff.

The problem in random etc is you are hunting People. Not bots. Crafty, cunning, sneaky, unfair, lying, cheating and win by any way possible People. Take a BB who sits there and refuses to drive up to you like a coop bot. YOU are going to have to sail over there and kill him. Between here to there is a lot of deep stragety issues. Its almost as if they know which game marker or plan you have is the spy in stratego and constantly avoid your efforts while setting you up to be sunk their way.

Get predatory in the Forest. Don't sit there and bleat. =)

[FML]
Members
4,120 posts
16,057 battles
7 hours ago, Sinkthemall_2020 said:

Okay got online, bought some ships and just started playing. Now I am confused on how some ships not matter what can keep concealed to 4 to 6. Even BB's it seems. I get in Random and i get my [edited]kicked and so does my team members. Is it the pay to win or am I just and dumb A_ _ or bother. No matter what kind of tactics I try it ends the same. Tell this fool what the heck to do. Should this inept player stick to Co-op. Should I spend $1000's to be satisfied. Maybe a lost cause. 

hi. Coming to the forums for guidance is a good move. I’m copying some info below that - whilst designed for new players - well still be helpful for you. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!! 

I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

• How to set up your game client to get the information you need to win: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSCb96CLCs4
  • (For brand New Players - a full comprehensive guide) iChase's How to get good at World of Warships - I wish this was around when I started!
  • (For New Players) - Wargaming's 'How It Works' series that explains the game's mechanics - important to learn these as it differs to real life.
  • (For New Players looking to become Intermediate) my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide to understand how to get the best out of your ship every battle and how to deal with enemy ships of the same type. 
  • (For Intermediate players) LittleWhiteMouse's guide to How to take control of your win rate:  https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/75077-how-to-control-your-win-rate/
  • For players at any level who are interested in personalised feedback on a particular battle, get in touch with Lord_Zath and his replay centre - its an amazing service that you should take advantage of.  
  • You are under absolutely no obligation to spend money on this game - it is entirely free to play including at high tiers. 
    • Understanding the economics of WoWS and tips for playing as free-to-play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDgwH2w-k7U
    • Still, if you are interested in buying a premium ship, a discussion on what premium ships are good value for newer players can be found on my New Player Guide Premium Ships for New Players.
      • The second post in this thread has some good advice on how to rapidly become a better player through teamwork and positioning - see Section 3 - its worth a read!
Edited by UltimateNewbie

Members
139 posts
2,000 battles
5 hours ago, Sinkthemall_2020 said:

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I will keep at it. Will probably be back for a pep talk now and then.

Best of luck mate! Feel free to add me in game if you ever want to div up, I’m not the best but still working on improving. If you got questions about a specific game you can also always post replays and usually somebody can take a look at it 

[KERMT]
Members
1,068 posts
14,467 battles
9 hours ago, Sinkthemall_2020 said:

Starting at the bottom is good, 
Because skipping to the higher tiers is what will cause you and your team mates losses. 
There is nothing shameful about starting at the bottom and learning the game from the beginning.

Tier 4-5 might hurt as Air Craft Carriers are very formidable 
But Tier 6 might put you in a match vs tier 8. 
The game is hard, but it is a good challenge so do not be disheartened 
Be tenacious and never give up. 
Good Luck sir 

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,510 posts
18,105 battles
8 hours ago, Sinkthemall_2020 said:

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I will keep at it. Will probably be back for a pep talk now and then.

The fact that you came to the forums to read up and ask for advice already puts you ahead of most random players so kudos for that +1.

I won't rehash what everyone said but I did notice that you purchased an Atago and are having some difficulties in it. Again Tier 8 ship and you should stay at the lower tiers yadda yadda. Also, to be blunt, while the Atago is still a great ship if played correctly it has been power crept quite a bit. Conversely I noticed that you also purchased the DeGrasse. I would recommend playing that for a bit as she is an excellent kiter and long range spammer while still being a threat if uptiered. Play that ship for a bit, use cover and concealment, exploit your excellent range and fire chance, and of course have fun if possible. 

Good Luck & God Bless, Everyone. - Lolcats - lol | cat memes | funny cats |  funny cat pictures with words on them | funny pictures | lol cat memes |  lol cats

[REVY]
Members
2,560 posts
13,777 battles
13 hours ago, Sinkthemall_2020 said:

13 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

^^ as everyone has said, this

You are literally Parks and Rec level and jumping essentially into a 'Pro' level. You are going to get clobbered.
Each Tier has a learning curve. Get proficient at a lower one before moving up.

[GRETA]
Members
439 posts
16,386 battles

Co-op tactics in random are a quick death.   

Higher tier ships means more good players with better weapons and stronger ships that will strongly punish of mistakes.   

This can be like having a year of Karate and fighting Bruce Lee.  OR a team of Bruce Lee's. 

Premium ship advantage is primarily in using fewer credits.  There are a few premiums that were removed from the game for being too strong.  Since they are removed you cant buy them anyway. 

There will regularly be a new "hot" premium ship.  Wait a month and people will have figured out a way to counter it.