Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
otakuben

A Minor Proposal: An Attempt to Differentiate Roma and Littorio

10 comments in this topic

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,373 posts
2,132 battles

So let it first be known that I'm a fan of the Italian ships. The Roma is by far my favorite battleship of all time both in and out of the game and it was great to see her in game. Yes she wasn't the perfect ship but she was fun and unique. So when they announced AL Littorio I was equally excited as it was another Italian BB to add to my shipyard. However to my outrage, and many others as well the Littorio was a carbon copy of the Roma. It was such a carbon copy that it was literally the Roma model, stats, and all. It even had the Roma name plate when you removed the camo.

For a while I've wanted to make changes but I had a hard time deciding how. So I'm making a proposition attempt on how to make the Littorio different from the Roma. I've decided on these subtle but important changes based on reading I've been doing on the Littorio class Battleships.

Changes to the Littorio

Speed - Increased from 30 knots to 32 knots

Hitpoints - reduced from 65,400 to 62,500

Turning Circle - reduced from 810 to 800

Secondary Armament -

152mm changed to 120mm /42 (a proposed dual purpose gun to use instead of the 152mm)

Base Stats - 120 mm/42 - 4 х 3 pcs

Firing Range - 5 km

Rate of Fire - 10 shots/min

Reload Time - 6 sec

HE Shell - 120 mm proiettili HE

Maximum HE Shell Damage - 1,800 

Initial HE Shell Velocity - 890 m/s

Chance of Fire on Target Caused by HE Shell - 5 %

AA Stats - 120 mm/42 - 4 х 3 pcs

Average Damage per Second - 151 

Firing Range - 5 km

Main Battery Reload - reduced from 30 seconds to 32 seconds

Main Battery Range - increased from 18.12 km to 19 km

Sigma - changed from 1.8 to 1.9

So what does this do for Littorio and why? Well the Littorio was built at the same time as Vittorio Veneto. Her displacement would actually end up being slightly lighter than the Roma as well as being a bit shorter as well. During gunnery exercises the Littorio was able to fire every 30.6 seconds but the average for the 15 inch gun was 45 seconds. Also the original design called from 6x2 152mm (with the 120 and a 130 being considered) and was later changed to the 4x3 152mm but non dual purpose.

I decided to keep the 4x3 to affect the model as little as possible. Instead the turret would change to one's suited for a dual purpose fire. You could probably keep them the same model and just shrink the barrels slightly. All of these changes amounts to the following difference.

The Littorio becomes more accurate, better AA, better sigma, better turn radius, slower reload, less hit points, worse ship versus ship secondary armaments.

• Thanks 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,215 posts
10,570 battles

While I too am disappointed that AL Littorio is a simple clone of Roma (unlike all the other AL ships, which are all different from their sisters in game to some degree), it remains a fact that AL Littorio is a premium ship and was sold for cash. Unfortunately, this means this proposal is DOA.

Giulio Cesare casts a long shadow, doesn’t she?

Edited by Nevermore135

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,373 posts
2,132 battles
22 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

While I too am disappointed that AL Littorio is a simple clone of Roma (unlike all the other AL ships, which are all different from their sisters in game to some degree), it remains a fact that AL Littorio is a premium ship and was sold for cash. Unfortunately, this means this proposal is DOA.

Premium ships can change as long as the change isn't a strict nerf. Not to mention I don't think a single player in the game would oppose a change.

• Confused 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,215 posts
10,570 battles
1 hour ago, otakuben said:

Premium ships can change as long as the change isn't a strict nerf. Not to mention I don't think a single player in the game would oppose a change.

The changes made to premium ships in the past were either global changes, strict buffs, or changes WG could rationalize as buffs (i.e. Hood’s AP change, which many argue was a nerf) or “global” changes (i.e. raising DoY’s citadel along with the rest of the RN BB line). What you are proposing would fundamentally change the characteristics of AL Littorio. IIRC, one of the reasons given for abandoning the effort to properly balance GC was the the “experience” of playing the ship changed or something similar. Besides, we’ve already seen what happens when WG attempts to alter premium content. I’m not going to get into a discussion about whether or not WG made the correct decision, but WG decided the negative fallout was not worth it.

As for who would oppose it, I’m certain there are players who wanted a re-skinned Roma, not to mention those who would oppose it on principle, arguing that this would be an effort to set some sort of “bait and switch” precedent. To think there would not be an explosion on the forums is naive.

This community has made their bed, and now we all have to lie in it. 

Edited by Nevermore135

Members
3,664 posts
42,592 battles
2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

This^^^^. Cant have cake 🎂 and eat case of Twinkies too.

[USCC]
Members
3,113 posts
14,656 battles
29 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Cant have cake 🎂 and eat case of Twinkies too.

Well, you can make a valiant attempt after 4:20 :Smile_hiding:

Members
3,664 posts
42,592 battles
7 hours ago, SpudZero said:

Well, you can make a valiant attempt after 4:20 :Smile_hiding:

I don't care much for cake unless chocolate covered lemon cake. A case of Twinkies I actually did once when a person a long time ago was smoking his 0-reganno of the hydroponic variety and the second hand smoke got to me.

After the initial Dr Evil laughs of about 25 minutes, I sacked a Walmart like a Visigoth and got 4 boxes of Twinkies and one box of ding dongs.

I only came to my senses after the second box of Twinkies and the smoker dude finished the others. That dude had some good stuff.

But the stomach paid the price and the sugar rush had me play AC4 for 5 hours straight.

Twinkies, the secret gamer's food. But you better be ready for the sleepy Head afterwards.😪

[NMKJT]
Members
2,857 posts
8,083 battles
18 hours ago, otakuben said:

GC cast a long shadow by making WG hesitant to buff premiums, cause if the change makes them too strong they won't be able to nerf them without widespread outrage.

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,373 posts
2,132 battles
1 hour ago, MnemonScarlet said:

GC cast a long shadow by making WG hesitant to buff premiums, cause if the change makes them too strong they won't be able to nerf them without widespread outrage.

I get that but you can make changes, supertest, and then release if it works okay. I don't think my changes affect it so much that it becomes nerfed or buffed.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this