You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
commando_brian

The fate of 19 pt Commanders in the upcoming skills update

36 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
502 posts
19,171 battles

What will be the fate of 19 pt Commanders in the upcoming skills update? Will they still remain "elite" as in the ability to generate ECXP ? 

I have over 30 19 pt commanders and I think it would be a bit unfair to remove 19 pt. Commanders elite status by moving the goal posts up to 21pts. Will WOWS compensate those with 19 pt Commanders? Could we get some clarification on what is WOWS plans are @Hapa_Fodder  ?

• Thanks 1

[WOLF6]
Members
201 posts
8,564 battles

My guess, they will no longer be elite and you will have to grind out two levels. Or harvest unused captains for points. The way the new system will work, you'll need less captains because they can seemingly work on all ship types. 

On that note, why do people want compensation for WG adding 2 levels? The captains aren't going away or getting weaker. Thats like asking an MMO company to give you a max level character in new expansions when the cap is raised on levels.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1
  • Meh 1

[RST]
Members
565 posts
11,846 battles

I agree with @Ghawain the "compensation" in my view is banked commander XP, the fact fewer captains will be needed because they can shift ships (and presumably retraining will be less a factor), and you can "cash in" commanders to bank more commander XP to level up.  So with that many 19 point commanders I'd think you could cash in a few and take the commander XP you receive for cashing them in and use that to help level up. 

That would be my guess, but time will tell.

• Confused 1
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
Members
13,832 posts
6 minutes ago, Ghawain said:

My guess, they will no longer be elite and you will have to grind out two levels. Or harvest unused captains for points. The way the new system will work, you'll need less captains because they can seemingly work on all ship types.

To be precise its more that you need less commanders for premiums due to having separate skill trees for all ship types and not having to retrain for a premium ship. For tech tree ships you would still want a specific commander due to only being able to have the commander trained for one tree ship at a time.

• Cool 4

[SALVO]
Members
25,843 posts
28,206 battles
1 minute ago, RipNuN2 said:

To be precise its more that you need less commanders for premiums due to having separate skill trees for all ship types and not having to retrain for a premium ship. For tech tree ships you would still want a specific commander due to only being able to have the commander trained for one tree ship at a time.

Honestly, I don't think that there are all that many premium ships that seem to require their own specially built commanders.  Most premiums seem fine with captains from similar tech tree ships.

[SALVO]
Members
25,843 posts
28,206 battles
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

On this whole issue, WG hasn't had much to say at all (fate of 19 pt. captains).

They may not have even decided yet.

[HINON]
Members
13,832 posts
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, I don't think that there are all that many premium ships that seem to require their own specially built commanders.  Most premiums seem fine with captains from similar tech tree ships.

There are enough that this is helpful like having a secondary spec BB build for Georgia or having IFHE for a premium but not the same build for a tech tree ship of the same line etc etc.

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
20 minutes ago, commando_brian said:

Will WOWS compensate those with 19 pt Commanders?

I lost my 457mm Conquerer and its playstyle on the release of Thunderer and recieved no compensation.

What on earth means that your commanders *gaining* skillpoints means that you should be given them? You havent "lost" anything to be compensated for.
Grind them like everyone else, not like you'll even need to with 30 19pointers, thats like 20million something stupid exp that'll easily get over half to 21..

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
11,188 posts
10,423 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

They may not have even decided yet.

I don't think they have.

Maybe waiting to see which direction the wind (firestorm) blows.

Same with the points (ECXP) required.

Edited by DrHolmes52

[DOG]
Members
714 posts
12,788 battles
4 minutes ago, groomsiebelle said:

I agree with @Ghawain the "compensation" in my view is banked commander XP, the fact fewer captains will be needed because they can shift ships ...

This assumption is ONLY valid if you have specific captains for premium ships.  Each captain will still be limited to a specific assigned ship, so if you keep or have a lot of tech tree ships (and play them) you'll need captains assigned.  I don't see a need for less captains at all - this change gives you some flexibility with purchased high-value captains so that you can re-use them effectively on another ship class (or two).

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
25,843 posts
28,206 battles
1 minute ago, RipNuN2 said:

There are enough that this is helpful like having a secondary spec BB build for Georgia or having IFHE for a premium but not the same build for a tech tree ship of the same line etc etc.

Don't get me wrong.  I like having this new ability.  I was only pointing out that a premium like the Wichita is perfectly happy to use a Des Moines captain, or the Alabama using a Montana captain.  Flip side, the Atlanta/Flint really benefits from its own captain.   Ditto for the Smolensk.  I also find that the Leningrad, Gremmy, and Othotnik all benefit from having a captain trained for EM, which isn't something the Grozzy really needs, for example.  It's a very situational thing.

Members
10,754 posts
18,476 battles

So if I set my commander for each ship type does it still cost retraining when I switch from a BB to a DD?

[WOLFG]
Members
11,188 posts
10,423 battles
4 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

So if I set my commander for each ship type does it still cost retraining when I switch from a BB to a DD?

Not if premium.

[SF-13]
Members
522 posts
8,031 battles

I always wondered why WG chose the number 19 to begin with for elite captains.  It seems to make more sense if they were 20 point captains max.  That way, you could get two skills from each level, or whatever combo you want if that doesn't appeal to you.  Why 21 points?  Does WG like odd numbers?

Also, I think that out of fairness, a 19 point captain should be able to immediately use the Ship XP of the ship he is specialized in to level up as far as he can.  I think that would help solve the problem for a lot of people who are afraid of losing their elite commanders and not being able to generate Elite XP for lesser captains on other vessels.

I cannot comment on the issue of transferring captains because I saw no discussion of that during the video broadcast.  It may be that the captions for the Deaf were not shown or something, but all I saw was elite captains at 21 points, cashiering other captains, and something about a new skill tree (a different one for each ship type or just different skills?).

If someone knows exactly what was said about the new skill tree, I'd sure like to know.

Thanks!

[WOLFG]
Members
11,188 posts
10,423 battles
3 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

"Cashing in" 19 point captains:  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (whew!)  Heh, heh.  

Someone's cashing in.

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,839 battles
43 minutes ago, Ghawain said:

On that note, why do people want compensation for WG adding 2 levels? The captains aren't going away or getting weaker. Thats like asking an MMO company to give you a max level character in new expansions when the cap is raised on levels.

The captains will get weaker because of the skill rework...

...but anyway, this is just us waiting for WG to disclose what will actually happen.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,363 posts
16,976 battles
38 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

:Smile_great:

36 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

On this whole issue, WG hasn't had much to say at all (fate of 19 pt. captains).

35 minutes ago, Crucis said:

33 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

33 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I don't think they have.

Maybe waiting to see which direction the wind (firestorm) blows.

Same with the points (ECXP) required.

:Smile_great:All of these are good questions and here's another thats been raised what happens to the special commanders like those seen below or the more ordinary legendary commanders?Will these commanders skills be used or are they borked like the way the game was borked with the CV//AA Rebork?

30 minutes ago, dashtardly said:

This assumption is ONLY valid if you have specific captains for premium ships.  Each captain will still be limited to a specific assigned ship, so if you keep or have a lot of tech tree ships (and play them) you'll need captains assigned.  I don't see a need for less captains at all - this change gives you some flexibility with purchased high-value captains so that you can re-use them effectively on another ship class (or two).

:Smile_great:image.thumb.png.f4a0d1326211d1410b34184a2e90e0e8.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Valkyrie Chooser of the Slain#7.png

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
502 posts
19,171 battles
51 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

I lost my 457mm Conquerer and its playstyle on the release of Thunderer and recieved no compensation.

What on earth means that your commanders *gaining* skillpoints means that you should be given them? You havent "lost" anything to be compensated for.
Grind them like everyone else, not like you'll even need to with 30 19pointers, thats like 20million something stupid exp that'll easily get over half to 21..

If you have over 30 19 pt commanders you have a lot of XP earning power, if its been taken all away in one move its rather harsh 

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,327 battles
1 hour ago, Ghawain said:

My guess, they will no longer be elite and you will have to grind out two levels.

That's what happened last time they did this.

Members
3,354 posts
17,120 battles

The ability to train for multiple ship types is only effective if you move your commander between different premium ships of the same nation. Otherwise it's completely useless as retraining is costly. Most players don't have enough premiums to make any use of it therefore it's another gimmick to get people buying premium ships.

Start hoarding your elite commander xp before the update. You're going to need plenty to top off to 21 points. 

• Cool 3
  • Confused 1

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
28 minutes ago, commando_brian said:

If you have over 30 19 pt commanders you have a lot of XP earning power, if its been taken all away in one move its rather harsh 

Then use that "earning power" to stockpile exp to make them 21 pointers...

Its not like Conquerer's 457mms, you aren't losing anything here and you have all the things you need to come out better off.
The more 19 pointers you have, the more elite exp you have to make 21 pointers.
The people who gain most are the ones who have too many elite captains, while those without are unable to make any 21 pointers and suffer the most, if anything those without elite commander exp deserve compensation for the ever wider disadvantage they'll get.

I don't even know how many 19 point captains i have, maybe 1/3rd of yours and the only way i was able to drain the supply was retraining my GK/harugumo captains using the exp for each regrinded ship in my slava lines.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,338 posts
26,840 battles

This is the reason many of us are stockpiling ECXP in anticipation of needing up "upgrade" our 19 point captains to 21 point captains. 

• Cool 1