You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

KotS XI NA - most played/banned ships

89 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,173 posts
4,766 battles

I'll get most-played ships when I can.  Here are the most banned.

CVs, Slava, Puerto Rico, Smolensk are globally banned.  The most player-banned for NA (the other regions don't do ship bans):

unknown.png.867706d55930a92bfdd3c828c2f4ba88.png

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[FORM]
Members
1,959 posts
12,598 battles

I never paid attn to KotS, but just to make sure I'm understanding correctly: 

1) There's a "global ban" (by WG?) that says the: CVs, Slava, Puerto Rico, Smolensk can NOT be used. 

2) Teams are allowed to choose (a ship, or ships and if multiple - how many) to ban from a (any opponent? each match?)

2b) Do they know what the other team wanted to use and then they can ban it, or do they have to decide in advance? 

Tnx for info. Not at all surprised to see Stalin & Petra in there, I'm very surprised to see Monty, Ohio & Nevsky. 

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,491 posts
9,777 battles
18 minutes ago, TheArc said:

2) Teams are allowed to choose (a ship, or ships and if multiple - how many) to ban from a (any opponent? each match?)

2b) Do they know what the other team wanted to use and then they can ban it, or do they have to decide in advance? 

2 - two ship bans per team, taken in turn. The banned ship cannot be used by either team.

2b - they do not know what the other team would have used, but of course there is always the past match history (and/or counters to your strat).

• Cool 1

[-K-]
7,491 posts
9,777 battles

I hope NA teams are ready to adjust for world playoffs where there will be no bans, and have answers for things like the Petro spam.

• Cool 1

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles
2 minutes ago, vak_ said:

I hope NA teams are ready to adjust for finals, where there will be no bans, and have answers for things like the Petro spam. 

They could always change it to having bans though. Probably not going to happen, but it could.

[AP]
Members
1,373 posts
18,660 battles

this is incomplete

OO7 banned goliath against us, but goliath isnt on the chart

im also doubting that no one bans kleber at all

Edited by jason199506

[AP]
Members
1,373 posts
18,660 battles
1 hour ago, TheArc said:

Tnx for info. Not at all surprised to see Stalin & Petra in there, I'm very surprised to see Monty, Ohio & Nevsky. 

team 1 ban 1 ship, team2 bans 2 ship, then team 1 bans 1 more ship

each team gets 2 bans

bans are per map, teams re-ban the 4 ship every map

teams are allowed to waste their slot and say no ban(though i dont think anyone did this)

teams ban first, then each teams has like 5 to 10 minutes in the training room to come up with composition around each other's ban list

Edited by jason199506
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[SALVO]
Members
5,988 posts
4,946 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

I'll get most-played ships when I can.  Here are the most banned.

CVs, Slava, Puerto Rico, Smolensk are globally banned.  The most player-banned for NA (the other regions don't do ship bans):

unknown.png.867706d55930a92bfdd3c828c2f4ba88.png

Ducky, where are Kleber & Marceau? I saw some matches where they were banned...

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,173 posts
4,766 battles
54 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

They could always change it to having bans though. Probably not going to happen, but it could.

It well could next season.  MrConway openly supports bans.  Even Flamu is coming around.  EU viewers who stayed on the watch NA seemed surprised at how diverse the NA ship comps were.  A couple were vociferously against bans, but when pushed they were against the concept of rules.  (I'm sure we all know the type.)

One thing I found quite interesting watching some of the team-by-team bans is that most of the teams banned by ship type.  One team would ban Stalin/Petro, another DDs, e.g. Kleber, Daring, another DM/Salem, another Venezia/Wooster.  I think they were choosing based on what ships work best to counter their selected strategy for the upcoming map.

[SALVO]
Members
5,988 posts
4,946 battles

Since we are in this, Marceau was a more common pick than Kleber along the tournament. The "common knowledge" says Kleber gun performance and torps are superior than Marceau's, what comparative advantage brings Marceau to the table in order to become the preferred pick for top teams?

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,173 posts
4,766 battles
2 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Ducky, where are Kleber & Marceau? I saw some matches where they were banned...

This isn't an exhaustive list and I don't know what it includes or doesn't - it was posted by tournament officials in the discord.  It might include only the seeded rounds.

Kleber was banned on occasion, but teams played Marceau even when it wasn't.  From what I saw on EU, the ban patterns - esp. on DDs - would be quite different.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,950 posts
47,582 battles

Why can a tech tree ship be banned?  They are not 'buyable' like premium/special ships are.  I just feel its strange in a 'competitive' mode.

• Funny 1

[AP]
Members
1,373 posts
18,660 battles
3 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

It well could next season.  MrConway openly supports bans.  Even Flamu is coming around.  EU viewers who stayed on the watch NA seemed surprised at how diverse the NA ship comps were.  A couple were vociferously against bans, but when pushed they were against the concept of rules.  (I'm sure we all know the type.

and then there's this WG staff replying to player's request of making a poll on whether bans should be introduced to other region

"no poll, we collect feedback"

we all know what that means in WG language

(i.e. search feedback form for keyword ban, any feedback form contain this word is automatically deleted before feedbacks were viewed)

Screenshot_2020-09-28-13-27-29-234_com.discord.jpg

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,173 posts
4,766 battles
2 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

Why can a tech tree ship be banned?  They are not 'buyable' like premium/special ships are.  I just feel its strange in a 'competitive' mode.

Bottom line is, that's what the players wanted.  Ship bans on NA have been in effect for 4? seasons and I haven't seen a gripe from NA yet.  Many EU folks just don't seem to get it, though.  Haven't heard from SEA (NA on too late for them?) or CIS (who type in Klingon Cyrillic Russian).

[AP]
Members
1,373 posts
18,660 battles
4 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

there are 2 types of ban

1 is ban from KOTS orgs, these include ships no longer available or are too new and considered hard to obtain(slava, smolensk, peurto rico, etc.)

2 is between teams, and this is where the strategies comes in. each team bans enemies from using the ships that best counter their line up, and teams work around enemies' bans to still counter their lineup

[KMS]
[KMS]
3,683 posts
12,249 battles
1 hour ago, vak_ said:

I hope NA teams are ready to adjust for world playoffs where there will be no bans, and have answers for things like the Petro spam.

catch the stupid thing broadside.  That how you settle the spam.

Members
3,664 posts
42,437 battles

To be honest, I didn't watch any of these since inception years ago. But I find it hilarious that there are ship band.

It's akin to keeping two Ladies from wearing the same shoes.

Now imagine the training room is a dressing room and players are tightening their corsets only WG just said: "The pointy corsets are banned on account it could take an eye out."

Then mass confusion as the mad scramble for the non-pointy one is found.

Then WG says: "Due to overwhelming demand, it's been decided to go with the bustier. It seems some players have too many pointys on one team and not enough non-pointys on the other. But everyone has the bustier. "

Thanks, I am glad I ducked out of watching this and instead watched an actual streamer that is fun and engaging. At least the streamer knows how to shoot. Their battles are sheer heart attack dramatic and never a dull moment.

Yep, I will keep ducking KOS. Because the streamer at least quacked me up.

*Ducks a huge boulder thrown at me.

All in the reflexes.😏

• Funny 1
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 1

[-K-]
7,491 posts
9,777 battles
29 minutes ago, Nachoo31 said:

catch the stupid thing broadside.  That how you settle the spam.

Easier said than done at high level play

• Cool 2

[WORX]
Members
11,960 posts
19,495 battles

I'am not surprised..

The KOTS have amplified IMO, how upper tier matches (especially tier X matches), after the changes starting in the games patch series 0.7, are fundamentally flawed.

Having a need for a "ban" ships system, in order to force the matches to project in-match fairness or diversity of play-style., just shows me WOWS is failing...

I am with the KOTS org. on this one, in where WOWS fails, KOTS will have to fix their screw ups.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 2

[NONE]
Members
3,757 posts
47 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I'am not surprised..

The KOTS have amplified IMO, how upper tier matches (especially tier X matches), after the changes starting in games patch series 0.7, are fundamentally flawed.

Having a need for a "ban" ships system, in order to force the matches to project in-match fairness or diversity of play-style., just shows me WOWS is failing...

I am with the KOTS org. on this one, in where WOWS fails, KOTS will have to fix their screw ups.

You're right in principle, of course, but we might as well hope for the Martians to send us a COVID cure and free beer before WG either owns their mistakes or takes remedial action. That's why things like KOTS exist in the first place.

[WORX]
Members
11,960 posts
19,495 battles
2 minutes ago, Balon_Greyjoy said:

You're right in principle, of course, but we might as well hope for the Martians to send us a COVID cure and free beer before WG either owns their mistakes or takes remedial action. That's why things like KOTS exist in the first place.

From a spectator POV, seeing the same play-style in a match over and over again... Does make the whole experiance of the KOTS, uneventful..

Props to the KOTS admin for at least making it spectator friendly.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
5,988 posts
4,946 battles
1 hour ago, hateboat said:

sounds like they were being kind.

Believe it or not, a Goliath b!tch slapped them in one match. It was epic...  Mega Heal FTW.

• Funny 1