You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CaptainZade_NA

Question about the Montana

12 comments in this topic

[127MM]
Members
94 posts
335 battles

First post in here so please tell me if something's wrong with this post.

I'm mostly a new player, started with the US BBs since most people said it was good, the New Mexico was fine, I loved the Colorado but matchmaking kept putting me in higher tier games but eh, it's fine,  genuinely loved the North Carolina because it was accurate, and now I'm in the Iowa, I had low expectations for it since people said that the maneuverability was bad but I played it all fine, but I'm not sure about getting the T10 though, my friends said Montana's good but I'm scared since there's a lot of HE spammers in T10 and they were unbearable even in T8 and T9. Should I get the Montana or just go do another line? Check my stats if you want, doesn't matter.

Members
3,898 posts
14,048 battles

You can not be afraid. If you want to know, you must try. Even if you fail, cant figure out, or dont like it; only you will be able to determine that. Yes, the higher tiers can be spammy. But it's spammy for everyone.

If you've reached the Iowa and enjoyed it, may as well finish it. You can always start a new line if you dont like it.

Also finally, I would high suggest playing in the mid tiers more first; learn how to apply positioning, and increasing situational awareness as you play. It will greatly benefit your effectiveness at the higher tiers. But that is up to you as well.

Ive only played one game in the Montana, but I liked it; just dont particularly have any reason to play it over my other ships.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
7,337 posts
23,195 battles

110 battles (not counting the premium Warspite & half a dozen cruiser battles) to get through Iowa w/a 63% WR (& a 70k average damage...not just in Iowa but overall).

Uhhm...is this really a new player (or does using the word "mostly" change the standard definition of the term "new player" by that much)?

Or are we being trolled by a serious unicum reroll?

If the former there are some top level clans that surely wanna recruit you ASAP...he may actually be able to single handedly take on 07 for the NA KOTS champ (but he's probably gonna need that Montana as he has no other T10s to compete against them with).

Well...seeing as it didn't matter.

But the fact is I had to "want to" check out his stats because w/153 games to Montana I surely didn't need to...unicum was understood.

Or in this case maybe it was the unicorn (a fictional being...like a new player w/153 games to Montana) that was understood.

Is that what unicorn means when you see people use it in the forums...is it another name for a unicum that's posing as a new player...or is it just a fun way of mispronouncing/misspelling it...which is what I always thought when I seen it... I'm gonna have to start paying attention now

(-: it's a fun analogy so I'm gonna have to start using it that way from now on :-)

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,603 posts
4,223 battles

Once you're at T8 you've seen the worst WOWS can throw at you. It doesn't get worse going up from T8 to T10. Quite the opposite as your ship gets better. Monty is great. Little slower than Iowa, but extra guns and armor.

• Cool 1

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
1,190 posts
11,117 battles

@CaptainZade_NA

Take another line.

IMHO -

1. no point playing at tier X any more, as the Legendary Upgrades are now Unique Upgrades (and unlocked from the RB).  There are some exceptions e.g. Clan wars, as there is usually 1 BB (or no BB with a CV) having a Monty is not a great choice for CW.
  2. If it's your 4th tier X and you want to unlock the RB (Research Bureau)  - Only needs to be researched, not brought
  3. Otherwise the credits are better off being saved
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[POP]
Members
4,750 posts
12,813 battles

Montana is still good in its role, and I still enjoy playing mine. That said, it has definitely been powercrept over the years since the game’s release. If you enjoy playing Iowa, Montana is very similar (more guns, slightly lower speed). 

• Cool 1

[CDOH]
Members
650 posts
7,696 battles

Montana is a good boat.  Its slower than Iowa but more guns.  Its rudder shift is not good, but i counter this with legendary module.  Use a John/George Doe captain or Halsey to Quickly switch between ammo types and get great turret traverse.  Use the spotter plane and learn to smoke fire cruisers.

Edited by Rothgar_57
  • Cool 1

[NFJF]
Members
700 posts
10,621 battles

Montana is still my favorite tech tree ship in the game. She is very general purpose in that she isn't really the best at any one thing, but she does everything either decently or exceptionally well. Pretty much all other T10 BBs are more specialized in one playstyle or another, but Montana can be played well in multiple scenarios.

Edited by admiralsexybeast
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,448 posts
12,406 battles

as someone whose eyes fell onto Montana when they first started this game and finally made her their first T10 and felt the power she can bring, go for her, she's worth it

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,780 battles
21 hours ago, CaptainZade_NA said:

First post in here so please tell me if something's wrong with this post.

I'm mostly a new player, started with the US BBs since most people said it was good, the New Mexico was fine, I loved the Colorado but matchmaking kept putting me in higher tier games but eh, it's fine,  genuinely loved the North Carolina because it was accurate, and now I'm in the Iowa, I had low expectations for it since people said that the maneuverability was bad but I played it all fine, but I'm not sure about getting the T10 though, my friends said Montana's good but I'm scared since there's a lot of HE spammers in T10 and they were unbearable even in T8 and T9. Should I get the Montana or just go do another line? Check my stats if you want, doesn't matter.

Of course get Montana. If you were fine in Iowa you will be ok in Monty.

Get it because T10s are good for snowflake events, so one way or another you must have it. Do a tank build on it for the inevitable HE spam.

• Cool 2