Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
shinytrashcan

Adjust the tech tree description of older ships

7 comments in this topic

[TIMT]
Members
1,101 posts
4,457 battles

Just noticed that Des Moines is said to have "excellent protection" in the ship description of the tech tree.

I mean she might have had that, but nowadays in game her protection is meh at best compared to a) the guns out there at T10 overmatching all her armor, and b) other cruisers having much better protection. Borderline misleading.

• Cool 2
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,571 posts
4,223 battles

Des Moines actually does have decent protection though, for a cruiser. She has sufficient deck armor to bounce 16" shells which isn't bad for a cruiser. She's not Stalingrad levels of tanky, but excellent protection for a CA isn't a high bar.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
994 posts
1,387 battles

Des Moines has excellent protection, that's not inaccurate. It just doesn't matter in this situation:99 New Yamato Wallpaper Combination - Cameeron Web

[TIMT]
Members
1,101 posts
4,457 battles

30mm deck armor is nothing special anymore, every tech tree CA has that, or 40mm if not 50mm. She is one of the few with a 27mm bow, but so does Hindenburg and several ships have ice breaker bows with 40mm or more (Venezia, Hindy, Nevsky, Petro). Even tech tree CLs at T10 should have 30mm deck (but not sides), with some exceptions.

Bottom line, her armor is certainly not "bad" by comparison, but "excellent" sounds to me like something special, which all of her armor is not: neither turtleback, nor spaced-armor, nor thicker deck, and no ice breaker. She is not bad, maybe rather good, but certainly not 'excellent'. Excellent sounds to me like Petro or Hindy level of armor.

I am sure there are other anachronisms in the descriptions which might mislead new players, so I would suggest to clean those up a bit. Especially with the advent of even more SAP and 457mm overmatch rifles into the game.

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
349 posts
5,636 battles

You should see how the game is presented in spanish, with the developers clearly using google translate and having errors such as "Torpedps" instead of "Torpedos", in the Jean Bart description.

[WOLFC]
Members
520 posts
7,737 battles
38 minutes ago, Torenico said:

You should see how the game is presented in spanish, with the developers clearly using google translate and having errors such as "Torpedps" instead of "Torpedos", in the Jean Bart description.

That would actually be funny if the company were only 4 guys in a St. Petersburg apartment.

It's too bad they don't have an office somewhere with a sizable Spanish speaking population....:Smile_trollface:

[PVE]
Members
7,238 posts
23,105 battles
59 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

30mm deck armor is nothing special anymore, every tech tree CA has that, or 40mm if not 50mm. She is one of the few with a 27mm bow, but so does Hindenburg and several ships have ice breaker bows with 40mm or more (Venezia, Hindy, Nevsky, Petro). Even tech tree CLs at T10 should have 30mm deck (but not sides), with some exceptions.

Bottom line, her armor is certainly not "bad" by comparison, but "excellent" sounds to me like something special, which all of her armor is not: neither turtleback, nor spaced-armor, nor thicker deck, and no ice breaker. She is not bad, maybe rather good, but certainly not 'excellent'. Excellent sounds to me like Petro or Hindy level of armor.

I am sure there are other anachronisms in the descriptions which might mislead new players, so I would suggest to clean those up a bit. Especially with the advent of even more SAP and 457mm overmatch rifles into the game.

Gotta admit...after the IFHE "normalizations" he has a good point.

Sign in to follow this