You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Weekend Spree, 25-27 September 2020

23 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
22,410 posts
16,285 battles

Fairly accomplished weekend. Did Naval Battles, finished out Mission 4 of the Five Epochs campaign, did two livestreams, and got both my Weser and my Skane to just above 50,000 points.

Of course for the Skane that's just a shade under halfway, whereas, the Weser isn't even 33% to its goal, but no rush.

• Cool 3

Members
3,887 posts
14,038 battles

Productive overall weekend. Actually had to look at the missions for once. Kill/Cit BB mission, done with the Musashi/JB. Ship is growing on me. Fire/Torp dmg cruiser mission, done with the Atago/Goliath. 

Otherwise, only played to do that. Busy irl stuff, along with MTG expansion jank time. 

meh.jpg

[WOLFG]
Members
11,188 posts
10,423 battles

Spent most of the weekend getting state 3 of the 5 epochs done and building up elite commander XP.

Now I can run stage 4 (up to tier 9) while doing the next Anchorage directive.

[WOLF9]
Members
990 posts
21,760 battles

Congrats to all on the grinds.

Spent most of my weekend dealing with a disaster at work, but did manage to get a little bit of play in today as well as watch a few KOTS matches.

Biggest gain for my weekend was buying the Pommern just now.  I did have to throw in 400 steel, but with no coupon for another 3 months, I can't buy anything for steel right now anyway.  Wanted to make sure I got Pommern to get the 2 gift containers on the first win before that ends.

Not playing much more since I will be working on step 5 of the dockyard and campaign tomorrow before I leave town on vacation Wednesday.

[HELLS]
Members
2,754 posts
29,554 battles

Splurged a bit. Got Kagero to 34,000 XP this weekend, and had Lexington about the same level, so I examined what I wanted to do with my coal and FXP. I got Moskva with coal and FXP'd Yugumo, Shimakaze and Midway and kitted all of them out. I did not net much from the supercrates the T10s gave me. Then I looked at my other lines and bought Friedrich der Grosse as I had researched her eons ago but never bought her. Got Task 1 done in the low-tier campaign and got a decent head start on Task 2.

Then I did something else. Bought an N-scale GE Dash 8-40CM lettered for QNS&L, a railroad where I worked for 28 years where I operated these locomotives when they were brand-new, to go with the 3D ore car models I have built and will have 3D printed. Grandkids will love it when they see what I am doing!

Edited by GrandAdmiral_2016
  • Cool 2

[YARRR]
[YARRR]
Members
259 posts
5,485 battles

Gained a few ranks. Grinding random battles. About done with Hipper and La Galissonniere. Had some heroic defeats:

jb92720.thumb.jpg.b25a03b5f8325ffb91e3625729ee1124.jpg

mahan1.thumb.jpg.18a77bfb48cda40b5b66d31477ede593.jpg

lg1.thumb.jpg.028be99a6607f40ebc222318bfe0c355.jpg

[PVE]
Members
4,828 posts
21,205 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Fairly accomplished weekend. Did Naval Battles, finished out Mission 4 of the Five Epochs campaign, did two livestreams, and got both my Weser and my Skane to just above 50,000 points.

Of course for the Skane that's just a shade under halfway, whereas, the Weser isn't even 33% to its goal, but no rush.

Caught up on Epoch.

Got my 10 Naval Battles in.

Have 2.1 million in EXP pending the change to 20-21 point CPT's.  I figure 3 million will be enough.

Dockyard 28 million done today.  GoD, that took a long time.

Over 250 battles in the Munchen and I think our host has tinkered with her already........  Her handling has changed: where she was agile and now, after Wednesday, she's not as agile.  I've been playing her all day since she's been available.  I have no hard proof but, she's not the same ship from two weeks ago. 

Tomorrow, it starts all over again. 

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,052 posts
11,161 battles

Finished the standard naval battles. Friesland is a machine in ribbons.

contijued grind with podvoisky, fuso, Riga, Iowa, benson, and minekaze.

Completed  the grind for kleber and am very close to Halland! 

on a separate note my dad and I put some sweet built in shelves in my basement. Boom! 🤣

[WPORT]
Members
7,183 posts
12,195 battles

Just had this game.
Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.

Spoiler

shot-20_09.27_22_22.05-0613.thumb.jpg.19039058e554e70f3c0636c5e29df2e6.jpg
shot-20_09.27_22_22.16-0359.thumb.jpg.b12457219cc2fb11246e6c99fb9d06c5.jpg
shot-20_09.27_22_22.24-0875.thumb.jpg.604c47d6d70dac9fdc4416bce4c57fb6.jpg

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
38 posts
6,682 battles

This is a crazy post and i enjoyed reading it.  grats on the things you guys got done I unlocked the Daring Friday but didn’t have the silver to get it. Eventually I grinder enough silver to buy it for the super container I got 100 commander xp flags from it. Grinder the rest of the ships I had left for the anniversary flags. Got to rank ten but then back to 12 lol so gave up playing rank for a little bit. But the flag is nice gonna miss it when it’s gone. Finished the transformers missions ended up with two rumbles and 2 optimist primes sort of wanted a Magatron so bought a box for 3 bucks but got a permanent camo for the gerberkurferst this I think spelled it wrong. So I guess I need to finish grinding the Bismarck and work my way to that x ship. Who knows I might buy a few more boxes to see if I can get a magatron but it’s all a gamble.To the guy who said he put some built in shelf’s in his basement that’s wild because I also did that in my living room Worked on it this weekend And to the guy who got a new n scale locomotive that’s pretty cool I just got some Athearn railgons think they will go good with my csx 70ace pulling it. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
4,675 posts

Mixed results.

Friday was meh.   Too many over-as-soon-as-it-began  low damage matches.   And I lost interest quickly.

Saturday, I played .25% of one match.   I got stuck in the load in screen until 3/4 of the red team was dead.   When I finally did get loaded in,  I got 2 salvos off  (in Lion)  at ships that were about to die.   After that, it was just the CV left-  WAYYY out of my range, and with islands blocking ant possible shot.     I logged off the game in disgust and never looked back...

Couldn't care less about the pink.   I have no compunctions about leaving a hopeless trash match, and will do it again.

Sunday was more productive.

I began by FINALLY finishing the final mission of part 1 of the new campaign.   5500 base xp doesn't SEEM like much- but in tier 2-4 ships, in C0-op; in the current meta, it takes forever...  I had the best luck using Katori;  Yubari; Karlsruhe,  and Doogie Howser.   And one really nice game in the German tier 3 cruiser.   Matches were FULL of pinkies who went out of their way to prove they'd earned it the old fashioned way:   Playing DD's, and spamming torpedoes everywhere with no concern for any allies in the area.   More than once I had torps shot AT me by so called allies.   

Then switched to working on the final stage of part 4 of the dockyard.   The BB mission.    This is proving to be fiendishly grindy...  1.55 million damage with the main battery of RN or Soviet BB's.   The IJN- French option is even grindier.    As usual,  the too quick games and yolo torp spamming results in an epidemic of low damage matches.   And RNGesus was flipping me the double birdie more often than not, the rotter!    Thus, it is taking FAR too many games to complete.

Warspite and KGV both turned in some very nice results, though.

The Transformers missions are coming apace.   I should have most of them done soon.

-

I also discovered that while I did equip all the credit upgrades to Lion,  I did NOT  equip any of the modules, lol.   I've been sailing a stock hull ship, lol.    The funny thing is, I actually like the ship!

[ARGSY]
Members
22,410 posts
16,285 battles
9 hours ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Bought an N-scale GE Dash 8-40CM lettered for QNS&L, a railroad where I worked for 28 years where I operated these locomotives when they were brand-new

Now all you need is an N-scale model of YOU. That'll really give the grandkids a thrill!

9 hours ago, Epic_Baller said:

Had some heroic defeats:

I know how that feels. :Smile_trollface:

9 hours ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

I got Moskva with coal and FXP'd Yugumo, Shimakaze and Midway and kitted all of them out.

Lazy, lol. Okay, maybe I'm just jealous that you had enough credits to do all that in one shot.

The Yugumo grind was one of the most fun grinds I ever did. Do make sure you drive her.

[WOLF9]
Members
990 posts
21,760 battles
35 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The Yugumo grind was one of the most fun grinds I ever did. Do make sure you drive her.

I proved before I wasn't a DD player, BUT

I am trying the TB and I have reset the IJN cruisers and the RN CL lines.  I realize I HATE resetting lines I really want to keep, so I am trying DDs out again.

I looked around and decided on the two IJN DD lines.  I figure I can reset one a quarter and start grinding the one I reset while using the other line for the next reset and then alternate.

Well, I am currently at the T9s on both lines and I thought I would enjoy the torp DDs much more than the gunboats, but I find the exact opposite is true.  I am doing much better in the Kitakaze than the Yugumo.  That trend started at T8 and has gotten more pronounced at T9.  I enjoy the Yugumo, but the TRB on Kita really gives you a lot of options, and has been more fun.

Anyways, that's my story.

• Cool 1

[_TKS_]
Members
1,268 posts
9,912 battles

This weekend I fall further and further in debt. In but the span of a month I’ve gone from 127 million credits to 19 million, the cost of purchasing and grinding multiple lines and high tier ships. I went back and sold ships I know I’d never use (like Lion) and I find myself sitting at a comfortable 46 million. However that amount will go down again once I purchase Haragumo before my line reset.

Aside from that the weekend went alright. Accomplished Epoch Directive 4 and unlocked Anchorage as well. I am hopefully going to set myself up for finishing Epoch Directive 5 early in the week.

• Cool 1

Members
384 posts
15,196 battles

Played sporadically all weekend.  Still working on my snowflakes; hopefully have them finished before they disappear with the next update (only have the camo's at T6 and T5 to go; and have most of the T6 ones done I think).  Almost finished the 4th mission of the Epoch campaign, and continued getting progress on the Dockyard.  Nothing special really, but continued to play.

• Cool 1

[HELLS]
Members
2,754 posts
29,554 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Now all you need is an N-scale model of YOU. That'll really give the grandkids a thrill!

That's not a bad idea. At that scale the cabs are not large enough to detail with DCC gear in the locomotive, but standing on the ground is an easy-to-do model using commercial figures properly repainted.

2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Played with both Yugumo and Shimakaze after kitting them out. Strong ships, even when facing radar at those tiers. I have been sunk so often by Shimakaze's long-range torps that I figured grinding the line was worth the time and effort after five years in the game. And the guns are not as bad as they are made out when used properly.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,410 posts
16,285 battles
6 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

At that scale the cabs are not large enough to detail with DCC gear in the locomotive,

I long for the day when experts in microsurgery and 1:72 or 1:144 scale modellers get together to discuss each other's problems and play with each other's equipment (no, not that way, you filthy-minded pervs!). :cap_haloween:

[HELLS]
Members
2,754 posts
29,554 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I long for the day when experts in microsurgery and 1:72 or 1:144 scale modellers get together to discuss each other's problems and play with each other's equipment (no, not that way, you filthy-minded pervs!). :cap_haloween:

Eye candy of the 3D models I have built of the equipment that I use in the Open Rails simulator. I have simplified the ore cars (they are detailed full-size models) and reduced the scale to 1:160 N scale size. All I have to do now is get a prototype carbody printed out. If that works I will look at costing a fleet of 50 loads and 50 empties. I already know that trucks and couplers are going to be eight bucks a pop for each car. I also did models of Cliffs Natural Resources close-top cylindrical ore hoppers that ran as three-packs on the same territory when I worked there. I need 24 of those. No need for loads in a closed-top turnaround on this territory. Regular freight cars can be commercial, as well as passenger equipment, Budd RDC's in my time. 230$ for an undecorated pair that I will have to properly paint and decal. Don't need more that about 15 freight cars as my idea is to simulate line ore haul over a 36-mile subdivision at the north end of the railway, and allow both 1980s interchange at Ross Bay Junction or modern-day run-through operations. I intend to use KATO Unitrack for reliability and simplicity of build. If I do the interchange I am going to need at least 3 Alco low-nose RS-18s painted for Wabush Lake Railway. I already need at least 3 QNS&L-decorated SD40-2s that do not exist commercially as it is. Ouch $$$!

I can do it on a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood framed as a table or on a 38 x 84 hollow door with folding legs. I prefer the latter as it takes less space and is mobile if properly built. Building and discarding track layouts using design software until I get a configuration that works. The kiddies might not be able to come over to grandpa's for another year due to COVID-19. They live in Germany!

Open Rails 2020-09-28 10-29-31.png

Open Rails 2020-09-28 10-28-47.png

• Cool 2

[HELLS]
Members
2,754 posts
29,554 battles
36 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

@GrandAdmiral_2016, oh, I see, you're one of THOSE model train enthusiasts. :Smile_veryhappy:

I found 1:72 airplanes enough of a challenge. 1:160 trains? No, thanks. :cap_fainting:

Also a lifetime professional railroader as well for 50 years. My grandsons got into HO because they were aware of my professional background and getting on a passenger train is a daily occurrence for them. They run top-of-the-line German Marklin equipment. Take a look at Z-scale 1:220. You need magnifiers and jewelry tools to work on that stuff! Try 1:1250 cast warship modelling! At least 1:200 or 1:350 warship kits are workable. Done my share of those as well.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,410 posts
16,285 battles
1 hour ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

getting on a passenger train is a daily occurrence for them.

For a while I lived in Melbourne, Australia and in a country town called Traralgon about 160km east of it. I spent a LOT of time on both metropolitan and intercity trains on the VicRail network.