You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shadow_Wolf7

WOWS Armory Upgrades

18 comments in this topic

[T3I0F]
Members
85 posts
4,631 battles

I've seen these upgrades in the armory and was wondering what lines or ships they would be useful on? Specifically what T10's it would be worth putting these on. Tried to find a video or something going through all these armory modules and what ships they are worth it on but couldn't find one. If you have one please send the link! My current thinking is:

Radar System Mod 1 - Basically replacing damage control mod 1 on radar cruisers. This seems worth it on basically all radar cruisers (especially soviet cruisers). Is there a radar cruiser/line where this wouldn't be worth it?

Hydroacoustic Search Mod 1 - I can see the benefit on German DD's with the 6km ship detection but would it be worth it on any other line? Maybe the German BB's or CA's as well?

Defensive AA Mod 1 - I really don't see where this is useful at all. In the ships that offer def AA or hydro I'd rather take hydro as it's useful all the time so I can only think of the Worcester to make it a real no fly zone but I'd probably rather take Radar System Mod 1 instead. Am I right or am I missing something?

Damage Control Party Mod 1 - This definitely seems worth it on Soviet BB's and maybe all BB's? The loss of main armaments mod or secondary armaments mod seems worth it for the gained survivability unless there are some top tier BB's whose turrets get knocked out frequently or maybe the German BB's if you build into secondaries?

Spotting Aircraft Mod 1 - Maybe worth it for the Yamato or Venezia?

Smoke Generator Mod 1 - This one really confuses me and I have no idea what ships this would be better in. It would be amazing with Italian cruisers but it specifically says it won't work with their exhaust smoke but I can see how that would be OP. Maybe this is useful on crawling smokes or British DD short burst smokes?

Engine Boost Mod 1 - I can see this being really useful on DD's without smoke like Halland and Kleber. I've only gone down one DD line (Daring) which doesn't have an engine boost. Is it useful on anything else or is engine room protection better for DD's? What about French Cruisers or BB's that have an engine boost?

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
19 minutes ago, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

What about French Cruisers or BB's that have an engine boost?

I'm only at Richelieu, but the speed bonus (~2.5 knots) doesn't seem like it's really enough to be worth it.

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,421 posts
17,182 battles

Just my thoughts (based on lines I've played as well as ones I haven't):

Radar  - I use it on both Moskva and Stalingrad (especially Stalingrad since it really benefits the supercruisers and, if your turrets are pre-aimed, gives potentially another salvo with radar), as well as Alaska right now (same reason as Stalingrad). The wiki recommends it on the Russian CA split, but I don't know if I'd consider it worthwhile for only a 3 second boost to radar. Sure, it gives you a little more wiggle room to aim but you're still only getting one maybe two shots off either way. Another potential use is Missouri, if you don't want to take damacon 1. If you're running a radar DD (Black/radar YY/Smaland), that could be another option if you want to give up engine room protection. Personally I don't have it on any of my US cruisers besides Alaska since their radar duration is longer to begin with and by the time your normal radar runs out anything caught by it is dead or gone anyway.

Edit to add an additional thought: If you’re building DM for competitive, having that extra 8 seconds of radar when it comes to cap control is very useful, especially in CB. Sure you can’t take engine room protection, but longer is better when it comes to radar duration in competitive.

Hydro - Definitely agree on the German DDs, and potentially the BBs and cruisers if you want to go that route, but I'd prioritize the destroyers first then the cruisers. Another viable option is the UK DDs to boost their already long duration short range hydro. Any other cruiser line with hydro that doesn't have radar (and would therefore take the radar mod first) could benefit from using it too, but I don't know if I'd spend the coal to put it on them.

DFAA - Probably the only ships I could see this being useful are the DFAA battleships (Thunderer, Hood, the US split depending on how they are on release). Pretty much anything else either isn't going to take DFAA over hydro (or engine boost for the US DDs) if the option is there or has DFAA in a separate slot (Salem, Stalingrad, US CLs) but has radar and will want to buff that first.

Damage control - Definitely useful on the Russian BBs because of their limited charge DCP, but potentially also useful on some cruisers and Warspite (all with 5 second DCPs). Especially tankier cruisers that will expect to be under constant fire like Hindenburg or Moskva. However I wouldn't prioritize this over another coal mod except for the Russian BBs unless you have lots of extra coal sitting around with nothing to spend it on.

Spotter - Potentially Venezia with a max range build, as well as Yamato and Musashi (although for both of them it's more if you're planning on CV sniping, otherwise the normal spotter duration should be enough). If you have it, I'd probably put it on Lazo because of its unique spotter plane for an extra 18 seconds of long range spam each charge.

Smoke generator - Mostly crawling smokes (Perth/Huanghe/Haida) or the UK DD short burst smokescreens. Potentially useful on Mino, especially if you're going for a 'cover the entire map in smoke' build with the UU and Smoke Screen Expert.

Engine boost - Not really worth it on the tech tree or premium French BBs because they only get an 8% boost (so just a few knots). I'd definitely take it on Kleber/Marceau, and possibly on Smaland with the short duration engine boost. Likewise for the French cruisers (although I don't know if I'd put any coal mod on Henri with the nerfed acceleration) if you're fine giving up engine room protection. I'd also put it on Georgia and Bourgogne since they get the mid tier French cruiser speed boost (15%) and can definitely make use of the extra time.

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Thanks 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,912 posts
15,585 battles
32 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I'm only at Richelieu, but the speed bonus (~2.5 knots) doesn't seem like it's really enough to be worth it.

BB speed boost is most useful in getting up to speed but a 7.8% boost in speed is nothing to sneeze at if you are running.

[WOLFG]
Members
1,227 posts
20,965 battles

Have the engine boost mod on my Marceau. It allows me to scoot around at 55 knots for 4 minutes 16 seconds instead of just three minutes. That makes a huge difference, even though I mostly play it in co-op to finish daily missions when having bad days for wins in Randoms. I'm sure it'd even be more helpful in Randoms, but I suck too bad at DDs in Randoms to know for sure, lol.

Edited by Colonel_Potter

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,507 battles
4 hours ago, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

I've seen these upgrades in the armory and was wondering what lines or ships they would be useful on? Specifically what T10's it would be worth putting these on. Tried to find a video or something going through all these armory modules and what ships they are worth it on but couldn't find one. If you have one please send the link! My current thinking is:

Radar System Mod 1 - Basically replacing damage control mod 1 on radar cruisers. This seems worth it on basically all radar cruisers (especially soviet cruisers). Is there a radar cruiser/line where this wouldn't be worth it?

Hydroacoustic Search Mod 1 - I can see the benefit on German DD's with the 6km ship detection but would it be worth it on any other line? Maybe the German BB's or CA's as well?

Defensive AA Mod 1 - I really don't see where this is useful at all. In the ships that offer def AA or hydro I'd rather take hydro as it's useful all the time so I can only think of the Worcester to make it a real no fly zone but I'd probably rather take Radar System Mod 1 instead. Am I right or am I missing something?

Damage Control Party Mod 1 - This definitely seems worth it on Soviet BB's and maybe all BB's? The loss of main armaments mod or secondary armaments mod seems worth it for the gained survivability unless there are some top tier BB's whose turrets get knocked out frequently or maybe the German BB's if you build into secondaries?

Smoke Generator Mod 1 - This one really confuses me and I have no idea what ships this would be better in. It would be amazing with Italian cruisers but it specifically says it won't work with their exhaust smoke but I can see how that would be OP. Maybe this is useful on crawling smokes or British DD short burst smokes?

Engine Boost Mod 1 - I can see this being really useful on DD's without smoke like Halland and Kleber. I've only gone down one DD line (Daring) which doesn't have an engine boost. Is it useful on anything else or is engine room protection better for DD's? What about French Cruisers or BB's that have an engine boost?

Radar: Definitely yes for the RU cruisers. I like it for the USN, but it's not quite as good due to the already long duration. But 36sec of 12km radar is evil.

Hydro: Definitely on ships where hydro is a main focus, German cruisers and DDs especially. Maybe on KMS BBs. Other ships with shorter hydro not so much.

DEFAA: Yeah no, that consumable is useless right now, no need to reinforce failure.

Damage Control: I don't like it, but my main line is the USN BBs. I can see it working maybe on RU BBs, but I'm not a fan.

Spotting Aircraft: Ehh, maybe for very niche builds, but not in general.

Smoke mod: Perth and Haida with the creeping smokes, it's awesome. Not so much for anything else.

Engine Boost: Georgia, 4+ minutes of boost is hilarious. Probably useful on French cruisers and BBs as well. I've tried it on some DDs, but don't love it there.

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,745 posts
14,258 battles
4 hours ago, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

Radar mod-Literally any ship in the game with Radar wants this.

Hydro mod-Any British or German cruiser or any destroyer that has Hydro, as well as the creeping smoke ships.

Defensive AA mod-Yubari. I also run it on Salem along with things to boost it's AA to give it greater play style separation from Des Moines, although if thinking competitively, Salem is better off with the Radar mod.

Damage control mod-? maybe on BBs that like to fight at mid and close range, but I have never thought this worth losing damage control 1 to actually use it.

Spotting Aircraft mod-Any cruiser that wants to mount a spotter, like Venezia

Smoke Generator Mod-Perth, Huanghe, Haida, Smoke Minotaur with legendary upgrade, Harugumo with legendary upgrade

Engine Boost mod-French destroyers, Russian gunboat destroyers

Edited by Shannon_Lindsey

Supertest Coordinator
7,217 posts
14,359 battles

Radar Mod is a viable option for something like Smaland. 4 extra seconds of radar may not seem like much, but it's 4 extra seconds for your teammates to shoot, and 4 extra seconds for you to shoot as well. When fights are decided in < 30 seconds in ranked, you can definitely squeeze everything out of it.

Members
1,872 posts

I use Radar Mod on Des Moines and Alaska to boost duration (up to 48s radar gives allies a lot of time to react).

Hydro mod is really good on UK DDs since they basically have 3.5 minutes of hydro at a time, ideal for pushing caps or screening for BBs. This also means you don't need SI for up to T8, since the almost 2 minutes cooldown means you more than likely won't be able to use more than 3 Hydros anyway, even in a 20 minute match, provided you don't spam it immediately. Jutland and Daring you wanna probably have SI for extra heal.

For RU CAs it might be worth it since you also give your allies a few extra seconds to react, which might be crucial.

Engine Boost mod is getting nerfed but it is/was borderline OP on Georgia.

[T3I0F]
Members
85 posts
4,631 battles
35 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Radar mod-Literally any ship in the game with Radar wants this.

Hydro mod-Any British or German cruiser or any destroyer that has Hydro, as well as the creeping smoke ships.

Defensive AA mod-Yubari. I also run it on Salem along with things to boost it's AA to give it greater play style separation from Des Moines, although if thinking competitively, Salem is better off with the Radar mod.

Damage control mod-? maybe on BBs that like to fight at mid and close range, but I have never thought this worth losing damage control 1 to actually use it.

Spotting Aircraft mod-Any cruiser that wants to mount a spotter, like Venezia

Smoke Generator Mod-Perth, Huanghe, Haida, Smoke Minotaur with legendary upgrade, Harugumo with legendary upgrade

Engine Boost mod-French destroyers, Russian gunboat destroyers

Thanks, that helps a lot! FYI Damage control mod takes up slot 1 so it would replace main armaments mod 1, auxiliary armaments mod 1 or magazine mod 1 so it wouldn't be replacing damage control 1 in slot 2 that's why I said it looks worth it for virtually every BB since I don't think main armaments mod, auxiliary mod or magazine mod are better on BB's (unless maybe on secondary battleships you might want to take auxiliary armaments mod to increase their survivability)

[T3I0F]
Members
85 posts
4,631 battles
53 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Radar: Definitely yes for the RU cruisers. I like it for the USN, but it's not quite as good due to the already long duration. But 36sec of 12km radar is evil.

Hydro: Definitely on ships where hydro is a main focus, German cruisers and DDs especially. Maybe on KMS BBs. Other ships with shorter hydro not so much.

DEFAA: Yeah no, that consumable is useless right now, no need to reinforce failure.

Damage Control: I don't like it, but my main line is the USN BBs. I can see it working maybe on RU BBs, but I'm not a fan.

Spotting Aircraft: Ehh, maybe for very niche builds, but not in general.

Smoke mod: Perth and Haida with the creeping smokes, it's awesome. Not so much for anything else.

Engine Boost: Georgia, 4+ minutes of boost is hilarious. Probably useful on French cruisers and BBs as well. I've tried it on some DDs, but don't love it there.

Thanks for the information don't have the Georgia but seen some replays and that does sound like a lot of fun. Why don't you like the damage control mod? To me the other slot 1 mods (main armaments mod 1, auxiliary armaments mod 1 and magazine mod 1) seem less useful for BB's than a longer damage con but haven't fully worked up a BB line so am I missing something?

Edited by Shadow_Wolf7

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,745 posts
14,258 battles
8 minutes ago, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

Thanks, that helps a lot! FYI Damage control mod takes up slot 1 so it would replace main armaments mod 1, auxiliary armaments mod 1 or magazine mod 1 so it wouldn't be replacing damage control 1 in slot 2 that's why I said it looks worth it for virtually every BB since I don't think main armaments mod, auxiliary mod or magazine mod are better on BB's (unless maybe on secondary battleships you might want to take auxiliary armaments mod to increase their survivability)

Thanks, for some reason, I thought it was also slot 2. I may have a look back at it now, although I still think main armaments mod 1 is too important, but maybe on the Germans it would be worthwhile.

Edited by Shannon_Lindsey

[T3I0F]
Members
85 posts
4,631 battles
4 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Just my thoughts (based on lines I've played as well as ones I haven't):

Radar  - I use it on both Moskva and Stalingrad (especially Stalingrad since it really benefits the supercruisers and, if your turrets are pre-aimed, gives potentially another salvo with radar), as well as Alaska right now (same reason as Stalingrad). The wiki recommends it on the Russian CA split, but I don't know if I'd consider it worthwhile for only a 3 second boost to radar. Sure, it gives you a little more wiggle room to aim but you're still only getting one maybe two shots off either way. Another potential use is Missouri, if you don't want to take damacon 1. If you're running a radar DD (Black/radar YY/Smaland), that could be another option if you want to give up engine room protection. Personally I don't have it on any of my US cruisers besides Alaska since their radar duration is longer to begin with and by the time your normal radar runs out anything caught by it is dead or gone anyway. 

Hydro - Definitely agree on the German DDs, and potentially the BBs and cruisers if you want to go that route, but I'd prioritize the destroyers first then the cruisers. Another viable option is the UK DDs to boost their already long duration short range hydro. Any other cruiser line with hydro that doesn't have radar (and would therefore take the radar mod first) could benefit from using it too, but I don't know if I'd spend the coal to put it on them.

DFAA - Probably the only ships I could see this being useful are the DFAA battleships (Thunderer, Hood, the US split depending on how they are on release). Pretty much anything else either isn't going to take DFAA over hydro (or engine boost for the US DDs) if the option is there or has DFAA in a separate slot (Salem, Stalingrad, US CLs) but has radar and will want to buff that first.

Damage control - Definitely useful on the Russian BBs because of their limited charge DCP, but potentially also useful on some cruisers and Warspite (all with 5 second DCPs). Especially tankier cruisers that will expect to be under constant fire like Hindenburg or Moskva. However I wouldn't prioritize this over another coal mod except for the Russian BBs unless you have lots of extra coal sitting around with nothing to spend it on.

Spotter - Potentially Venezia with a max range build, as well as Yamato and Musashi (although for both of them it's more if you're planning on CV sniping, otherwise the normal spotter duration should be enough). If you have it, I'd probably put it on Lazo because of its unique spotter plane for an extra 18 seconds of long range spam each charge.

Smoke generator - Mostly crawling smokes (Perth/Huanghe/Haida) or the UK DD short burst smokescreens. Potentially useful on Mino, especially if you're going for a 'cover the entire map in smoke' build with the UU and Smoke Screen Expert.

Engine boost - Not really worth it on the tech tree or premium French BBs because they only get an 8% boost (so just a few knots). I'd definitely take it on Kleber/Marceau, and possibly on Smaland with the short duration engine boost. Likewise for the French cruisers (although I don't know if I'd put any coal mod on Henri with the nerfed acceleration) if you're fine giving up engine room protection. I'd also put it on Georgia and Bourgogne since they get the mid tier French cruiser speed boost (15%) and can definitely make use of the extra time.

Thanks for the info, really interesting point you bring up about the radar. I guess it wouldn't be worth it for the extra 3 seconds on the Petro and although I haven't gotten to one of the U.S. radar cruisers yet 40s does seem to be enough already since most DD's will flee long before then if they know what's good for them. Seems like the sweet spot is radars that are 25s - 35s or so. Possibly with the exception of radar DD's especially with 20s radar on the Smaland and 25s on the Yueyang the mod would only add 4 seconds to Smaland and 5 to Yueyang but they also have a much faster reload than cruisers or battleships so this time could be another 2-3 salvos.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,507 battles
1 hour ago, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

Thanks for the information don't have the Georgia but seen some replays and that does sound like a lot of fun. Why don't you like the damage control mod? To me the other slot 1 mods (main armaments mod 1, auxiliary armaments mod 1 and magazine mod 1) seem less useful for BB's than a longer damage con but haven't fully worked up a BB line so am I missing something?

Like I said, I run mostly USN BBs with a 20 sec duration, if that's not enough something else is wrong. Also, main arm 1 definitely makes a difference, incredibly irritating to lose a turret. I'm also working on the RU BBs, and haven't run into an issue either running out or wanting longer duration. Also remember that USSR duration is 10 sec, so the boost only gives you 14 sec total. Extra turret HP vs 4 sec extra damage control duration just isn't worth it IMO.

Members
198 posts
19,481 battles
7 hours ago, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

I agree

I agree, as well as Friesland, Loyang, possibly RN DDs

Maybe Stalingrad, as its DEF AA consumable lasts so long. Maybe

No, it's useless.

Perth, Lazo

Perth, Haida, Huang He, Legendary smoke Minotaur

Yes anything French. 4m20s engine boost duration, 4 charges, do the math.

Edited by MeglaGnome

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,421 posts
17,182 battles
2 hours ago, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

Thanks for the info, really interesting point you bring up about the radar. I guess it wouldn't be worth it for the extra 3 seconds on the Petro and although I haven't gotten to one of the U.S. radar cruisers yet 40s does seem to be enough already since most DD's will flee long before then if they know what's good for them. Seems like the sweet spot is radars that are 25s - 35s or so. Possibly with the exception of radar DD's especially with 20s radar on the Smaland and 25s on the Yueyang the mod would only add 4 seconds to Smaland and 5 to Yueyang but they also have a much faster reload than cruisers or battleships so this time could be another 2-3 salvos.

The one thing I would change in my original post though is DM. In competitive the extra radar duration is very useful for cap control, and in some CB teams may expect you to have it if you’re going to be playing DM. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

Members
198 posts
19,481 battles

I do run the radar mod on Petro, as it means I mostly get 2 shots off, instead of hardly ever. Almost a 100% buff to damage dealt during radar.