You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

10 Pt Captains vs 15+ Pointers

20 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

Is there a noticeable difference in results? If there is I don't notice it.

Let me give you an example.  On my Bertie Wooster swapped out a 10 pointer for a 19 pointer.  The same crappy results continued uninterrupted.

I then put the 19 pointer into the Salem and gave the Wooster a 15 pointer. Again, it performed poorly as always.

So is there any perceptible diff when skill point differences are 5 or more?

• Sad 1

[PISD]
Members
1,710 posts
5,856 battles

10 pts is the peak in term of performance in general. Having the concealment module is the single most powerful buff a captain can give.

more pts are useful almost only for full secondary builds and to get some marginal buff.

[EQRN]
Members
2,170 posts
19,149 battles

When ifhe was a must, the difference between a 10 and 14 pt light cruiser commander was big.  I’m a fan of fire prevention and concealment on BBs, there is that as well.

• Cool 1

Members
3,354 posts
17,123 battles
33 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Let me give you an example.  On my Bertie Wooster swapped out a 10 pointer for a 19 pointer.  The same crappy results continued uninterrupted.

I then put the 19 pointer into the Salem and gave the Wooster a 15 pointer. Again, it performed poorly as always.

It just shows that you are consistent and predictable. I like that in a person.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,592 posts
14,320 battles
1 hour ago, Y_Nagato said:

10 pts is the peak in term of performance in general. Having the concealment module is the single most powerful buff a captain can give.

more pts are useful almost only for full secondary builds and to get some marginal buff.

I would disagree a little as 12 points gives you Adrenaline Rush as well as another 2 point skill which can really help. Or at least in my experience.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,213 posts
10,566 battles
2 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Having those extra points beyond 10 can make the difference in a battle, but it’s no substitute for player skill. If you are getting “crappy results” (your words) with a 10-pt captain, putting in a higher tier captain with better skills will be better, but it won’t drastically improve your performance if you struggle with the basic play of a ship. 

[SALVO]
Members
25,871 posts
28,228 battles
2 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

It depends on the ship.  If you're talking about an HE spamming CL, you're likely to need IFHE to do any useful damage. And then you're talking about a 14 pt commander.  OTOH, BBs can often reach a pretty decent level of performance at 10 sp.  Don't get me wrong.  More SPs help.  But much of the time, 10 sp will get the basics covered, unless there are some special circumstances, like the ship needing IFHE to be decent.

[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

It depends on the ship.  If you're talking about an HE spamming CL, you're likely to need IFHE to do any useful damage. And then you're talking about a 14 pt commander.  OTOH, BBs can often reach a pretty decent level of performance at 10 sp.  Don't get me wrong.  More SPs help.  But much of the time, 10 sp will get the basics covered, unless there are some special circumstances, like the ship needing IFHE to be decent.

He explained it pretty well...the first 10 is the basics...after that it's YOUR  specific build you want...if you are not seeing a wr increase you need to evaluate if you're not playing to your ships captain skills strengths or maybe change your build to another strategy..some wouldn't like my builds but I play specific tactics for my builds..my Youtube channel Meta_Man2002 has many different strategies, reviews and just fun  videos and if you find them helpful please subscribe...happy hunting captain 

[WOLFG]
Members
31,397 posts
9,655 battles

10 points gives you the most useful skill in each tier.

After that, it depends on the ship.

[CDOH]
Members
650 posts
7,679 battles

More skill points will make good players better.  More skill points will not likely help new or bad players much.   80% of the game is positioning.

Skill points is also ship dependent.  For instance Massa is not great with 10 points cause you cant get the secondaries fully online.  10 points in Jeanbart is fine cause she really does not need much other than concealment.

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts
3 hours ago, Meta_Man said:

He explained it pretty well...the first 10 is the basics...after that it's YOUR  specific build you want...if you are not seeing a wr increase you need to evaluate if you're not playing to your ships captain skills strengths or maybe change your build to another strategy..some wouldn't like my builds but I play specific tactics for my builds..my Youtube channel Meta_Man2002 has many different strategies, reviews and just fun  videos and if you find them helpful please subscribe...happy hunting captain 

I typically spec out the captain as per the wiki recommendations.

[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles
12 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I'm not that guy,lol..

Edited by Meta_Man

Members
760 posts
61 battles
11 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Do you understand what each "captain skill" does? Be sure to read up on what each one can do for you.

A free respec will be happening soon, it would be a good time to experiment and learn how to optimize skills for your playstyle and ship.

[A-O]
Members
1,047 posts
10,624 battles
8 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I think we all have a ship or two that we can not make work. For me it is Roon. I could prob put two 19 pointers on there and it still would not work for me :-)

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts
29 minutes ago, freggo said:

I think we all have a ship or two that we can not make work. For me it is Roon. I could prob put two 19 pointers on there and it still would not work for me :-)

Yeah, i finally had to give up on the Wooster after half a year of trying to make it work. OTOH the Salem rocks.

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts
33 minutes ago, hateboat said:

Do you understand what each "captain skill" does? Be sure to read up on what each one can do for you.

A free respec will be happening soon, it would be a good time to experiment and learn how to optimize skills for your playstyle and ship.

I think I do. If unsure I will watch Youtube vids by flamu and others to see what they recommend.  I actually devote time for serious research into builds and captain skills.

Good to hear about the free respec.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,878 posts
25,114 battles

Depending on a ship, the difference between 10-14 pt captains varies.

Heavy Cruisers, German CAs & CLs, Italian SAP Cruisers aren't demanding points wise.  10pts suits them just fine:

PT

AR

DE or SI

CE

And that's it.

For a Light Cruiser, 10pts means hard choices.  CE is a big deal for many Cruisers, but IFHE is just as critical if the CL wants to actually HE Pen stuff.  But with 14pts, the CL can take both IFHE & CE, do some actual HE Pens and still get Full Stealth Build.

Destroyers tend to demand lots of points.

Secondary Build Battleships are very demanding on points.

Some players with 10pts for a Battleship Survival Build may still feel vulnerable, but with 14 or so points, they can improve more things towards that.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway