You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

My biggest mistake

24 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

...ever.

Long story short, a couple of weeks ago I purchased four 10 point captains including the Frenchie.  I quickly found ships for them all except the latter. 

So last night FXP up to the T7 Vanquelin, purchased, and equipped it. I then fully trained the captain.

Before my first game, I discovered to my horror that it didn't have smoke.  I then play three games where I am deleted in minutes.

After that I sell the ship in disgust and don't even want to think about how much FXP was lost.

The only silver lining to this sad tale is that I discovered that Le Fantasque doesn't have smoke either.

Oh well, I'm done with the French DD line.

Ce la vie.

Aurevoir.

:Smile_facepalm:

PS  For those wondering, no I won't file a ticket this time.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 5
  • Meh 3

[WPORT]
Members
7,215 posts
12,216 battles

So, not researching the ships before you purchased them was not your biggest mistake *ever*?  :Smile_teethhappy:

Thanks for sharing the lessons from your experiences.

And, the Aigle does have smoke-screen consumable.

• Thanks 4

[RST]
[RST]
Beta Testers
169 posts
9,960 battles

The French DD line takes a certain amount of finesse.  You cant play them like other DD lines.  Their strengths are guns and SPEED. Try hitting a high tier French tier DD at range?  GL with that.  I'm not a big fan myself of them even though I'm a DD main.  I'm only at T8 and debating to buy the T9.  You just have to play them differently and be mindful of your detection values.  They generally can hold their own against other DDs but when it comes to cap takers/holders, that's more for mid-late game than early game.  I guess it's all about your playstyle.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,445 posts
16,308 battles
45 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Before my first game, I discovered to my horror that it didn't have smoke.  I then play three games where I am deleted in minutes.

The ships have been in the game for over a year and you realise this only AFTER blowing the FXP? 

Excuse me if my sympathy for you is lacking.

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The ships have been in the game for over a year and you realise this only AFTER blowing the FXP? 

Excuse me if my sympathy for you is lacking.

It was my first and last French DD.  I just wanted the Le Fantasque.

[HELLS]
Members
2,756 posts
29,564 battles

I have not bothered with the MN DD line except those that could be had for free, and I do not play them often. Most of my MN ships are premiums anyway. I just blew my FXP to get Midway and to the top end of the IJN torpedo boat line with Yugumo and Shimakaze. Then I took a look at the FXP and coal ships and got Moskva. Three T10s and a T9 in a single go and I still have over a million FXP and 300,000 coal left. I wanted to get the best bang for my buck with this long resource grind and, given the limited quality of coal and FXP ships, figured this was a decent compromise. I have enougfh credits to fully equip everything I bought with upgrades, with 700 million left over. The worst penalty is having to buy doubloons to get permacammos for four ''Free'' ships (my Lexington does not have one) and respecing the 10-point captains from my reserve for each ship, but in the meantime I have thousands of free cammos that I can use. I had enough dubs left to respec four captains. No hurry for permacammos. It pays to think about how you spend hard-to-get ''Free'' resources before you make any selections. I sprung for Friedrich der Grosse as well because I had researched her eons ago but never bothered to grind up the DKM BB line to Grosser Kurfurst. Something to do for the time being while learning how to play with my new toys.

Now I await something more British....not enough premium RN DDs and the new version of Belfast won't be worth the cost if it stays as it is currently in testing. I'll keep my old one if their is no trade-in allowance and some improvements on the current test ship...

[META_]
Members
2,255 posts
7,485 battles
1 hour ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

...ever.

Long story short, a couple of weeks ago I purchased four 10 point captains including the Frenchie.  I quickly found ships for them all except the latter. 

So last night FXP up to the T7 Vanquelin, purchased, and equipped it. I then fully trained the captain.

After that I sell the ship in disgust and don't even want to think about how much FXP was lost.

The only silver lining to this sad tale is that I discovered that Le Fantasque doesn't have smoke either.

Ce la vie.

Aurevoir.

watch a couple @Meta_Man videos about how to play French DDs. 

it saved this game for me.

spud

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles
51 minutes ago, Spud_butt said:

watch a couple @Meta_Man videos about how to play French DDs. 

it saved this game for me.

spud

Thanks for the endorsement spud, the frenchies have no smoke , no AA and poor concelment . What you do have is the fastest ships in the game , bar none , the highest dd dpm in the game during reload booster  , bar none....The French are a lightning war type of ship....you use smoke to disengage from mistakes..in frenchies you use speed...if a dd sneaks up on you and fires you're happy,  they aren't. If they don't run , they die. My Youtube channel Meta_Man2002 is mostly on dds and showing strategies and tactics specifically for said national flavor..if the videos are helpful please subscribe...the vauqeliin has 700 km shell velocity  , after that the rest the frenchies have 840 km shell velocity, huge upgrade..happy hunting captain :cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

[LANCE]
Members
846 posts
6,314 battles

I hated Le Terrible when I 1st played it and for a few games after but since playing some “kiting” cruiser I.e. hit and run I thought I’d try again. I got the Guepard (sp?) and hated it but wanted to try others before hanging up the gloves on the French DD. Having the Marceau also sparked my interest. I FXP’d from the tier 6 to the Mogador (already had Le Terrible) so why not and love it!! Still trying to master it of course it it can be a beast and late game is great for getting caps especially when you kill off the enemy DD’s.

Give Mogador a chance and you might change your mind! Why not, you’ve already burnt through a load of FXP/EXP (for the Capt). You might be surprised!!

Beta Testers
755 posts
5,299 battles
On 9/27/2020 at 9:43 AM, TheGreatBlasto said:

...ever.

Ce la vie.

Aurevoir.

You played this game for 4 years.....and DONT keep up with the ship lines.....please just stop posting.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,038 posts
4,975 battles

Being impulsive and not bothering to research before acting isn't a mistake... it is a personality trait :cap_tea:

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,392 posts
9,655 battles
4 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

It was my first and last French DD.  I just wanted the Le Fantasque.

I dunno, I just finished grinding Jaguar, wanted to try a smokeless DD.

It's not half bad. Kind of like a Russian DD, except you trade the better periodic concealment of smoke for better default concealment.

[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles
18 hours ago, Bravo4zero said:

I hated Le Terrible when I 1st played it and for a few games after but since playing some “kiting” cruiser I.e. hit and run I thought I’d try again. I got the Guepard (sp?) and hated it but wanted to try others before hanging up the gloves on the French DD. Having the Marceau also sparked my interest. I FXP’d from the tier 6 to the Mogador (already had Le Terrible) so why not and love it!! Still trying to master it of course it it can be a beast and late game is great for getting caps especially when you kill off the enemy DD’s.

Give Mogador a chance and you might change your mind! Why not, you’ve already burnt through a load of FXP/EXP (for the Capt). You might be surprised!!

I agree with most of this but there is a catch....at tier 8 is where they really shine..they get the 840 shell velocity upgrade and le fantasque goes to 6.4 concealment le terrible 6.6 another upgrade...... at mogador you go to 7.5 concealment...i love the french and post videos often for them but I would advise Taking plenty of time at tier 8 and have her down pat first...that 7.5 can be a growing pain so the OP doesn't get discouraged....

• Cool 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,191 posts
18,864 battles

If you're interested in IJN DDs, check out the Asashio.  It has smoke and REALLY cool torps that will surprise the hell out of ya...if you don't do your research.

On a more serious note, if you want French with smoke, get Aigle.  It's a really good gunboat DD.

[LANCE]
Members
846 posts
6,314 battles
10 hours ago, Meta_Man said:

I agree with most of this but there is a catch....at tier 8 is where they really shine..they get the 840 shell velocity upgrade and le fantasque goes to 6.4 concealment le terrible 6.6 another upgrade...... at mogador you go to 7.5 concealment...i love the french and post videos often for them but I would advise Taking plenty of time at tier 8 and have her down pat first...that 7.5 can be a growing pain so the OP doesn't get discouraged....

I’d agree with you regarding the tier 8 even though I didn’t play the tech tree version (Le Terrible is very close).

To me it seems that most lines (there are exceptions) don’t really get their “identity” until tiers 7-8

[CO-OP]
Members
2,347 posts
26,854 battles

If this was your biggest mistake ever, you're ahead of the pack.  I know people with multiple ex-wives/alimony/child-care payments.  Not to mention that guy who make the fateful mistake of driving home after drinking.

• Funny 2

[WOLF9]
Members
4,675 posts
26 minutes ago, Dr_Drunk_AKA said:

Your biggest mistake is writing off the MN DDs.  They're amazing ships.

True!   And really fun to play.

Ignore the DD tag, and play them like tiny, stupidly fast, light cruisers.   That'll  go a long way towards getting you over the no smoke hump.    These are speedy run n gun ships, not cappers, smoke sitters, or torpedo spammers.    The torps are for those oh ship moments when something with big teeth is too close.

Otherwise, your job is to blast the hell out of things with your excellent guns!    I can tell you, it's VERY enjoyable to shoot red DD's to pieces;  or to annoy and harass BB's into foolishly chasing you into/around islands- and into a faceful of your torpedoes.    And citadelling CV's never gets old!

I've loved all of them so far.  I'm on the tier 7 right now.    Also own Aigle; Le Terrible; and Marceau.    Never really understood the disdain for Le Terrible- when I first got and played it, the only problem was ME, and my lack of clue as to how to properly use it.   Once I got said clue, it became a big favorite!   Easily as rude and nasty as Cossack.   Aigle is also a beast, and as it predates the DD line, it has smoke.  (which I rarely use, because it's French and I forget it's there...)   I only have a couple matches in my Marceau, thanks mostly to the dockyard directives and the nation requirements therein,  but it already shows much promise of being just as nasty a beast as all the rest.

But, hey- we all have our favorites.

Imo, these ships took what I liked most about the Soviet gunboats, esp Podvoisky and Minsk- and made them even better for my style of playing.    As a cruiser and BB guy, I tend to be gun focused anyhow...

[NG-NL]
Members
354 posts
10,110 battles

Hey, I can think of a more expensive way to spend Free XP and get a Destroyer that doesn't have smoke!

Edited by imaginary_b

[JHF]
[JHF]
Members
273 posts
5,019 battles

Well you will make free exp again.  This is not bad at all.  I mean, you have a line of ships you can use for certain events in the future.