You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HeidiAngel

Is AA Broken?

75 comments in this topic

[TIGRB]
Members
365 posts
1,716 battles

Hey all you crazies! Hope you all doing well.

Was in My tier 8 Tallinn, with whom I don't get along with btw. Lol. Anyways was in a co op game and enemy had a tier 8 Kaga CV. Not going to bore you with my ship smooshes [4 btw] cause it's co op. But the CV kept throwing planes at me. I thought I was in the Battle of Leyte Gulf cause I was shooting down a massive amount and was being Kamikazed! Smoke charred planes falling all around me and at least 2 hit my ship! No damage of course but at the end of the game I saw I had shot down 74 planes! As a team we did over 90. No way Kaga carried that many planes and I have never come close to shooting down this many planes so is the AA system broke or something? A Computer bug? Just asking. Have a great day!

Good Luck, and Good Smooshing!

Screenshot (51).png

Screenshot (52).png

Edited by HeidiAngel

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,949 posts

The AA system has deep flaws that are in desperate need of correction.

It's not simply a matter of OP or UP, it's actually broken.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Members
3,648 posts
42,267 battles

Congrats for shattering the skies. But yeah, its a work in progress. But look at it this way, you found a cruiser that can do the shoot down planes mission. Just find a Kaga player to division with you so you can harvest plans to your enjoyment. Seems you don't have a bad ship, just a misunderstood one. It doesn't like planes. LOL

• Haha 1

[WPORT]
Members
7,092 posts
12,076 battles

If you played in Co-op, then Kaga was played by a 'bot.  
That means they threw a lot of planes in your general direction and they didn't aim very well or be careful about plane preservation.

So, on behalf of the 'bots, "You're welcome" for the additional XP and credits earned in the battle from shooting down the planes.

Check out Kaga in the wiki of WOWs
https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Kaga

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
7,092 posts
12,076 battles
2 minutes ago, Gemlin said:

CVs have unlimited planes. 

BB's have unlimited ammunition.
How much of it can they actually fire during a 20 minute battle?

CV's have a 20 minute time limit, too, just like every other ship.
There are only so many planes they start with and/or can repair/regenerate in 20 minutes.
Do the calculations on your own, if you want.

• Meh 1

[KSC]
Members
837 posts
11,336 battles
20 minutes ago, HeidiAngel said:

Was in My tier 8 Tallinn, with whom I don't get along with btw. Lol. Anyways was in a co op game and enemy had a tier 8 Kaga CV. Not going to bore you with my ship smooshes [4 btw] cause it's co op. But the CV kept throwing planes at me. I thought I was in the Battle of Leyte Gulf cause I was shooting down a massive amount and was being Kamikazed! Smoke charred planes falling all around me and at least 2 hit my ship! No damage of course but at the end of the game I saw I had shot down 74 planes! As a team we did over 90. No way Kaga carried that many planes and I have never come close to shooting down this many planes so is the AA system broke or something? A Computer bug? Just asking. Have a great day!

Screenshot (51).png

Screenshot (52).png

The Kaga is a premium carrier, so she has a gimmck~  That gimmick is "Death by a Thousand Cuts"

The planes are under-tiered, and she starts the match with 96 planes (24 rockets, 36 torps, 36 bombs) with slow regen continuing as they get used.  It's a "wave of planes" thing.

-----

As for when you do Co-Op, the Carrier AI is very basic and will often fly into flak bursts.  Tallinn has some excellent flak, so it's not a surprise that you slaughtered many, many AI planes.

[CLUMP]
Members
1,172 posts
1,454 battles
19 minutes ago, HeidiAngel said:

Screenshot (51).png

Screenshot (52).png

The Kaga has a lot of planes however it's a tier 8 CV that has tier 6 planes that go up against tier 10 sometimes :Smile_hiding: Those Kaga's tier 6 planes are made out of tissue paper  so in tier 8 and up match they won't last long :Smile_sceptic: 

10 minutes ago, Gemlin said:

Ignorance is strong in this :Smile_teethhappy: 

6 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

There are only so many planes they start with and/or can repair/regenerate in 20 minutes.

Don't bother arguing with someone that's ignorant and knows nothing about CVs :Smile_popcorn:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[YORHA]
Members
5,192 posts
10,344 battles
36 minutes ago, Gemlin said:

No they don't.

• Boring 1

[TIGRB]
Members
365 posts
1,716 battles
31 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Well most BB's can fire 2 rounds per minute, per barrel. So an 8 gun Battleship fires 16 rounds a minute. So in 20 minutes 320 rounds. Some BB's carry 1,200 shells. 

• Cool 1

[TIGRB]
Members
365 posts
1,716 battles

Hey please. If someone is wrong, You can correct them without being a snob. Please be helpful instead of hateful.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,949 posts
11 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

No they don't.

It's a matter of technicalities. 

They do keep regenerating planes for as long as the battle lasts, they're hypothetically infinite.

But battles never last forever, so they're finite in any practical sense.

[TRU]
Members
711 posts
20,529 battles

AI CVs are pretty horrible.  Once in a while they can hit you, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.  

While regrinding a line it is great to have a team full of bots and let the bots ram into each other.  You can kill a few bot ships on your way to the CV and deplane it before finally destroying it.  

Someone already beat me to it - thank the AI for the extra XP!

Lastly, CVs don't have infinite plans, but in my own experience I have rarely been deplaned (and not fully) in randoms, although it is more likely if your a tier 8 CV facing tier 10 AA. 

[WPORT]
Members
7,092 posts
12,076 battles
6 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

It's a matter of technicalities. 

They do keep regenerating planes for as long as the battle lasts, they're hypothetically infinite.

Bingo.

[USCC2]
Members
6,271 posts
12 minutes ago, HeidiAngel said:

Hey please. If someone is wrong, You can correct them without being a snob. Please be helpful instead of hateful.

Unfortunately you have asked a question that will ultimately result in the I love CVs/I hate CVs argument amongst some forum members. It is inevitable and unfortunately there is nothing anyone can do about it. 

AA is in a bad place and I have no idea if WG intend to change it or have just walked away from the issue. The stock answer for most things WG wishes to walk away from is 'working as expected' or 'spread sheets (that you will never see) say everything is alright'. :Smile_honoring:

Members
609 posts
362 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The AA system has deep flaws that are in desperate need of correction.

It's not simply a matter of OP or UP, it's actually broken.

I often wonder when I see this said.

What would make AA satisfactory?

I’ve always had the feeling that most players want AA to make their ship completely invulnerable to air attack. That it will Always be to powerful for CV users or not powerful enough for the defending ships.

• Confused 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,949 posts
9 minutes ago, Ruthless4u said:

I’ve always had the feeling that most players want AA to make their ship completely invulnerable to air attack. That it will Always be to powerful for CV users or not powerful enough for the defending ships.

Members
1,969 posts
52 battles
1 hour ago, HeidiAngel said:

No way Kaga carried that many planes

CVs in this game do not carry the plane complement they did in real life. Kaga can bring well over 130 planes to bare in a match.

• Meh 1

[SBS]
Members
6,123 posts

I always like to laugh at how smug people can be about unlimited planes debate.  Planes will continually regenerate during a match.  They don't reach a certain number of planes and then stop regenerating.  The planes are unlimited.  Time in a match is limited to 20 minutes max.  Planes are unlimited, time is limited.  If you're going to be smug you should at least be right.  And stop responding to unlimited plane comments.  These people are almost always posting that just to trigger you.

11 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

What I find interesting is how defensive CV players get over this.  Ammunition is limited only by time in the same way planes are, and yet everyone sees ammo as unlimited.  But when you say planes are unlimited it triggers CV players.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,949 posts
9 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I always like to laugh at how smug people can be about unlimited planes debate.  Planes will continually regenerate during a match.  They don't reach a certain number of planes and then stop regenerating.  The planes are unlimited.  Time in a match is limited to 20 minutes max.  Planes are unlimited, time is limited.  If you're going to be smug you should at least be right.  And stop responding to unlimited plane comments.  These people are almost always posting that just to trigger you.

What I find interesting is how defensive CV players get over this.  Ammunition is limited only by time in the same way planes are, and yet everyone sees ammo as unlimited.  But when you say planes are unlimited it triggers CV players.

Some tests were run in training room, evidently there's a 10000 shot limit on main guns for some reason.

I suspect that at some point in development, there was going to be an ammo limit, and when that changed instead of recoding to not check ammo count they just removed the UI element and ramped all the values up to an unreachable amount.

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[WPORT]
Members
7,092 posts
12,076 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Some tests were run in training room, evidently there's a 10000 shot limit on main guns for some reason.

I suspect that at some point in development, there was going to be an ammo limit, and when that changed instead of recoding to not check ammo count they just removed the UI element and ramped all the values up to an unreachable amount.

Makes sense.

Members
623 posts
5,307 battles
16 minutes ago, Ruthless4u said:

well thats the problem with AA, most planes attacks can be done from a distance that avoiding them is nearly imposible so its leave us with 2 situations, either the ship AA can kill enought planes to make the carrier not want to attack it in wich case carrier experience is bad or AA is not strong enought and carrier can make couple runs in wich case ships experience is bad becouse they cant do much if anything against it other than stay within 3km from a couple of ally ships

[SBS]
Members
6,123 posts
12 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Yeah, I saw that test posted here a couple of years ago.  The point is no one views ammo as limited, its just accepted as unlimited.  When you say that about planes some people get all upset.  That's kind of funny to me.

I'm sure you remember the silly arguments about the unlimited plane debate.  CV players fought this tooth and nail on this because it was the only argument they thought they could win.  And everyone knows when you win a single point on the internet it proves you're always right about everything.  That then means CVs are perfectly balanced...

• Cool 1