Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RighteousRhyno

Are Khab players extinct?

30 comments in this topic

[PNP]
Members
493 posts
4,749 battles

I have not seen a single Khab for a couple of months now. Has the ship been powercreeped so much that its not worth playing anymore?

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,726 posts
24,990 battles

NA Server Weekly Stats 2020-09-26.

Tier X DD Battles Played;  Tech Tree only.

Halland 18,104

Harugumo 7,339

Shimakaze 20,780

Z-52 2,369

Kleber 2,470

Yueyang 1,848

Daring 4,508

Grozovoi 2,095

Khabarovsk 1,799

Gearing 13,718

Khab is definitely among the least played Tier X Destroyers.  I wouldn't attribute it to Power Creep.  It's the fact she's been nerfed into the ground.

Posts asking for buffs to her don't gain traction around here because a bunch still remember the days when Khabarovsk ran wild in Tier X.  Because of that, people had zero sympathy for her after WG stomped Khab into the dirt.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 3

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles

I stopped playing her after the DD pen changes.

Before that khaba could be fun to play against the right ships, if you wanted more khabas you'd need to increase her range again.

[THICC]
Beta Testers
967 posts
6,855 battles

She's extremely bad now.  BBs smash her and most other DDs can fight her fairly, so she has no real advantage.  Kleber in particular powercrept her very hard.  At the very least she needs 283mm+ protection, and Harugumo does too, given Kitakaze is better.  That new tier X Ru DD might be a replacement, since she appears to be a super Tashkent, we shall see.

• Cool 2

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
14 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

you'd need to increase her range again.

The UU does that and increases the rate of fire as well.

[PNP]
Members
493 posts
4,749 battles
19 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Halland 18,104

Harugumo 7,339

Shimakaze 20,780

Z-52 2,369

Kleber 2,470

Yueyang 1,848

Daring 4,508

Grozovoi 2,095

Khabarovsk 1,799

Gearing 13,718

Khab is definitely among the least played Tier X Destroyers.  I wouldn't attribute it to Power Creep.  It's the fact she's been nerfed into the ground.

Posts asking for buffs to her don't gain traction around here because a bunch still remember the days when Khabarovsk ran wild in Tier X.  Because of that, people had zero sympathy for her after WG stomped Khab into the dirt.

That is an abysmal number of battles for the Khab. But now that you mention it, I do remember years ago when people complained so much about it and it was a constant source of hate from the fourms, FB, and Reddit.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,726 posts
24,990 battles
37 minutes ago, RighteousRhyno said:

That is an abysmal number of battles for the Khab. But now that you mention it, I do remember years ago when people complained so much about it and it was a constant source of hate from the fourms, FB, and Reddit.

Back in the day before the RU DD split, she was a monster, but it wasn't apparent.

The RU DD Line is one of the first Post Launch Ship Lines.  German Cruisers and Russian Destroyers were the first 2 of such Lines, this was in 2015.

RU DDs were kind of marginal in popularity on the server.  Khab was strong but hardly anyone played her.  It took a long time for Khab's power and reputation to become apparent to all.  I remember a few people mention how powerful she was... But nobody played her.

Once it became common knowledge just how strong she was, that's when she became FOTM and everyone grinded to Khab.  She muscled her way into Tier X dominance.  She outmuscled Destroyers, trolled Cruisers and Battleships in her pre-nerf state.

When WG finally nerfed her she got no sympathy.  Still continues to this day.  Every now and then threads come up about buffs to Khab, but nobody cares, and it wouldn't surprise me if some still hold the old days against her, and would rather see her continue to live in squalor.

Edit:  I remember it took a very long time for WG to come around and nerf Khab.  She ran wild for a very, very long time.  Just more reasons why nobody has sympathy for her.

• Cool 1

[LSNB]
Members
200 posts
6,330 battles
57 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Halland 18,104

Harugumo 7,339

Shimakaze 20,780

Z-52 2,369

Kleber 2,470

Yueyang 1,848

Daring 4,508

Grozovoi 2,095

Khabarovsk 1,799

Gearing 13,718

Those numbers are actually quite surprising to be honest. 

Kleber is known tk he quite strong yet has only 600 or so more battles. 

Grozovoi, a very solid DD that I do quite well in, only 200 more. 

Even Daring, commonly thought to be one of the strongest T10 DDs still loses out to Harugumo and doesn't even approach the popularity of Shimakaze, Gearing, and Halland. 

[WOLFG]
Beta Testers
4,320 posts

I saw a couple today. They didn't do very well. Khabarovsk is a very average DD nowadays. People learned how to shoot it. DDs and Cruisers fire AP at the 50mm section instead of shattering HE there. The rudder nerf made it require Steering mod on Slot 5 and that means no 5% dispersion penalty from Concealment Mod to enemy shots. The loss of 10km torps to 6km made it incapable of deterring pushes into it in certain maps. AP full pens from high caliber guns are quite hazardous and it's DPM is not that impressive compared to many new things.

Kiev is more fun for a healing long range gunboat too. It's comfortable and is a much better ship at T8 than Khab at T10. There's little motivation to go all the way in that tech tree nowadays.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,726 posts
24,990 battles
31 minutes ago, dagger1013 said:

Those numbers are actually quite surprising to be honest. 

Kleber is known tk he quite strong yet has only 600 or so more battles. 

Grozovoi, a very solid DD that I do quite well in, only 200 more. 

Even Daring, commonly thought to be one of the strongest T10 DDs still loses out to Harugumo and doesn't even approach the popularity of Shimakaze, Gearing, and Halland. 

If you go to RU Server stats you'll see interesting stuff.  RU Server really like Shimakaze.

For fun, the same thing but this time for RU Server.  Remember they're a bigger server.

Halland 14,577

Harugumo 5,584

Shimakaze 27,105

Z-52 3,594

Kleber 1,835

Yueyang 2,556

Daring 2,612

Grozovoi 4,800

Khabarovsk 3,368

Gearing 8,466

EU Server!

Halland 35,461 - RIP CVs

Harugumo 11,057

Shimakaze 37,168

Z-52 7,667 German players are stubborn :Smile_popcorn:

Kleber 3,919

Yueyang 3,727

Daring 7,740

Grozovoi 4,098

Khabarovsk 3,157

Gearing 15,008

Asia Server!

Halland 17,223

Harugumo 4,902 - Surprised by her small presence despite JP players here.

Shimakaze 20,945 - Not surprised by this.

Z-52 1,634

Kleber 1,950

Yueyang 1,599

Daring 3,273

Grozovoi 1,304

Khabarovsk 1,040 Oof!

Gearing 6,279

It has to be noted that in terms of server size, in order of largest to smallest it goes:  RU > EU > NA > Asia

At least in Tier X DDs, EU Server has a very large presence with them given their server size.  But they play more of them than the even larger RU Server.

3 most popular DDs:  Shimakaze > Halland > Gearing

I can see why players gravitate to the different Tier X DDs the way they do, but as a Non-DD Main there's probably lots of details that pass me over.

Also:

4db3w2.gif

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Back in the day before the RU DD split, she was a monster, but it wasn't apparent.

Nobody saw what she was capable of indeed, You may attribute a large part of this to her spending the entire match stealth firing.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,726 posts
24,990 battles
1 hour ago, Akeno017 said:

Nobody saw what she was capable of indeed, You may attribute a large part of this to her spending the entire match stealth firing.

Did the RU DDs ever really have Stealth Fire going?  I'm not sure they did... If they did so, then the window wasn't really big.  USN & IJN DDs were the ones that profited the most from Stealth Fire.  I specifically do remember 2 Gearing players with Stealth Fire picking apart a Montana player who had no help around to spot the DDs.  Not only did he have to dodge torps, he was getting Stealth Fire Spammed by DD guns to death.

German DDs never had it because when they went Live, that was when Stealth Fire got taken out of the game.

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
11 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Did the RU DDs ever really have Stealth Fire going?  I'm not sure they did... If they did so, then the window wasn't really big.  USN & IJN DDs were the ones that profited the most from Stealth Fire.  I specifically do remember 2 Gearing players with Stealth Fire picking apart a Montana player who had no help around to spot the DDs.  Not only did he have to dodge torps, he was getting Stealth Fire Spammed by DD guns to death.

I specifically remember on hotspot being burned down by a ship firing 4 sequential shots at me, this would be way way back, close to when they introduced them. Ship was detected later and found to be a khaba, it then ate the gearing too.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,178 posts

Someone told me during an in-game chat a few months back she would be heading for permanent dry-dock soon. Recently, I've heard further talk of ahem, who is it, Octavia or Sub Zero? suggesting something quite similar. For me, it's the grind too far. I went the Groz tree, never felt the need to do the other branch. 

So you may expect her to leave the game sometime in the near future if all rumors are accurate. 

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
8 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Someone told me during an in-game chat a few months back she would be heading for permanent dry-dock soon. Recently, I've heard further talk of ahem, who is it, Octavia or Sub Zero? suggesting something quite similar. For me, it's the grind too far. I went the Groz tree, never felt the need to do the other branch. 

So you may expect her to leave the game sometime in the near future if all rumors are accurate. 

Like they did to Moskva?

It'd certainly be welcome from my perspective.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,178 posts
7 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Like they did to Moskva?

It'd certainly be welcome from my perspective.

More or less, yes.. though it hasn't been stated directly as such. 

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles
5 hours ago, RighteousRhyno said:

I have not seen a single Khab for a couple of months now. Has the ship been powercreeped so much that its not worth playing anymore?

Yes. It has been pretty garbage after the nerfs and then WG introduced several DD that gunbote better than Khab ever did.

To quote Flamu: “The only people you’re farming/killing in a Khab are potatoes that you could kill more quickly in any other ship.”

I pray the rumors are true. She’s a waste of a T10 grind that I regret immensely. It would be nice if they gifted me whatever replaces her... ;-)

Edited by Mahrs

[UN1]
Members
1,292 posts
4,040 battles
26 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

It was a purely opinion question asked to Sub Octavian in a 2 hour podcast he was interviewed in a few months back. They asked him what ship he'd remove from the game if he could, and he said Khab. Mind you, it's a purely opinion question and no different from what ships we think should be removed. That said, he felt the ship didn't fit and didn't do T10 proper justice.

I don't think player would think too much if it but there's a T10 Russian DD in test that's a candidate to replace it, just like they replaced the Moskva with the Nevsky. 

So who knows. 

• Cool 1

[UN1]
Members
1,292 posts
4,040 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

If you go to RU Server stats you'll see interesting stuff.  RU Server really like Shimakaze.

For fun, the same thing but this time for RU Server.  Remember they're a bigger server.

Halland 14,577

Harugumo 5,584

Shimakaze 27,105

Z-52 3,594

Kleber 1,835

Yueyang 2,556

Daring 2,612

Grozovoi 4,800

Khabarovsk 3,368

Gearing 8,466

EU Server!

Halland 35,461 - RIP CVs

Harugumo 11,057

Shimakaze 37,168

Z-52 7,667 German players are stubborn :Smile_popcorn:

Kleber 3,919

Yueyang 3,727

Daring 7,740

Grozovoi 4,098

Khabarovsk 3,157

Gearing 15,008

Asia Server!

Halland 17,223

Harugumo 4,902 - Surprised by her small presence despite JP players here.

Shimakaze 20,945 - Not surprised by this.

Z-52 1,634

Kleber 1,950

Yueyang 1,599

Daring 3,273

Grozovoi 1,304

Khabarovsk 1,040 Oof!

Gearing 6,279

It has to be noted that in terms of server size, in order of largest to smallest it goes:  RU > EU > NA > Asia

At least in Tier X DDs, EU Server has a very large presence with them given their server size.  But they play more of them than the even larger RU Server.

3 most popular DDs:  Shimakaze > Halland > Gearing

I can see why players gravitate to the different Tier X DDs the way they do, but as a Non-DD Main there's probably lots of details that pass me over.

Also:

4db3w2.gif

So basically DDs that don't have to go racing into a cap to contribute to their team haha.

Shim is a no brainer cause she's an oldy and still goody. Who doesn't like 15 dev striking torpedoes?

Halland is the new Shim, trading smoke and speed for no-fly-zone AA and better guns. Her torps may not hit hard, but they're fast and super easy to hit stuff with. This ship may be too strong. 

Gearing can be a great torp boat, too. 

Everything else is more cap contesting territory except Kleber, Khab, and Z-52. I have the Daring and I enjoy it, but it's moreso the proliferation of radar, specifically Russian 12km radar combined with their super high speed, that makes it tough to play these. CV's are easy to counter. You really gotta know your surroundings to do well. 

There's just a lot of stuff that can spot you in a cap. 

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

All things considered, I've always wondered how Khabarovsk would be in today's meta if her nerfs were rescinded....

• Cool 1

[LANCE]
Members
844 posts
6,289 battles
Just now, Ace_04 said:

All things considered, I've always wondered how Khabarovsk would be in today's meta if her nerfs were rescinded....

I’d really like to see as I got my Khaba after the nerf wrecking ball!

One thing to remember is back in the day most ships she fought against had slow-floaty shells (DM as an example and all the BB’s) so was very hard to hit with Khaba’s “high -speed”. Now we have a couple of lines with almost laser speed ballistics so bringing her back to pre-nerf would probably be a fair balance.

• Cool 1

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,644 posts
12,047 battles

It's critically endangered. I personally think removing its full pen and replacing it with half pen would be a step in the right direction (so instead of 33% or 10% like most DDs, it'd be 16.5%). Harugumo is still seeing lots of play despite its weakness since it has comparably different play so I'm not sure if I'd suggest the same for it.

[SBS]
Members
6,123 posts
11 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Khab still averages the highest damage of all DDs, so its hard to say its been nerfed into the ground.

Sign in to follow this