You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

New Italian BBs :o(

48 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

Why you do this, MrWeeGee?  Did some Italian kids back in school give you atomic wedgies and pin you to the floor to take your lunch money?

Years ago I purchased both Ducas and to my regret discovered that they were terrible. So i used them only in operations to build up their captain's skill points for the eventual release of the BB line. Now l might as well pinkslip both.  The new RM BBs sound as bad as the latest USN BBs.

:fish_panic:

Edited by TheGreatBlasto
Captains added
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,268 posts

I am looking forward to them.  They sound like they might be a fun play style.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,266 battles
6 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

The new RM BBs sound as bad as the latest USN BBs.

I thought they were getting SAP; if they do I'm thinking they should be awesome!

[-A-8-]
Members
510 posts
20,660 battles

Might be worth taking a look at Thursdays stream with Crysantos and a couple of    the devs. I was half listening in but believe they did cover this as it was a question posed by chat... a lot! Main reason they gave is the number of shells in the air (up to 16 I think) which could still give a similar damage output to other BBs at their tier.

That all said, they've not even entered testing yet so are bound to be tweaked as they go along. Personally it was the 38 second reload that I'm not looking forward to with them.

www.twitch.tv/videos/750680214

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts
4 minutes ago, hateboat said:

On paper they seem to represent a very easy SAP spammy playstyle, probably fun, until you get bored. 16 barrels of heavyweight SAP, are going to cause a lot of hurt among the dd and cruiser community.

You've played a lot of games in your first year.

:Smile_sceptic:

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,798 posts
28,042 battles
16 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Why you do this, MrWeeGee?  Did some Italian kids back in school give you atomic wedgies and pin you to the floor to take your lunch money?

Years ago I purchased both Ducas and to my regret discovered that they were terrible. So i used them only in operations to build up their captain's skill points for the eventual release of the BB line. Now l might as well pinkslip both.  The new RM BBs sound as bad as the latest USN BBs.

:fish_panic:

Blasto, I've found the Ducas to be playable.  They're challenging to use but playable.  If I have a problem with the Ducas, it's that their HE is so darned weak.  And of course, their gun range is low, particularly with the tier 6 Duca.  But I've had some good Random games with her too.  The best tactic I found was to try to support numerous tea mates so that I'd look like a less inviting target. 

[A-D-F]
8,268 posts
11 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

You've played a lot of games in your first year.

:Smile_sceptic:

People somtimes don't use their main account, to post with.

He isn't wrong, SAP cannot over pen.  It doesn't matter the armor of the target or the size of the shells. A DD that get's hit by BB SAP shells, is going to hurt, a lot.

• Cool 1

[OGF]
Members
65 posts
5,233 battles

Honestly these things could shoot meatballs with all the accuracy of a chicken cannon and they'd still be the most interesting line I've seen this year.  But I've been pretty starved for Italian BBs and when a man gets hungry enough he might get tempted to eat just about anything.  

[KWF]
Members
5,185 posts
6,659 battles

If they go as planned they might end up being the trolliest line in the game possibly. I can already see battles where RNG likes you and you pull off monster games, and others where everything goes to sh!t.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,708 posts
24,985 battles
6 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

If they go as planned they might end up being the trolliest line in the game possibly. I can already see battles where RNG likes you and you pull off monster games, and others where everything goes to sh!t.

If RNG Blesses and the SAP goes right, you're going to wreck someone.

If WG makes a "Ship Line of Romas" then well... Yeah... Get ready to see lots of splashes and overshoots :Smile_trollface:  Another thing Roma has is an exposed Citadel.  She is one of those High Tier BBs that can get 1-2 shotted.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
3,637 posts
42,248 battles

*Sings in opera voice

Italia BBs comma soonaaaaa,

Eh reloada slowa holy smokaaaaa.

Italia BBs hava Sapaaaaa.

Betta check witha signore Hapaaaa.

Whyo Wee Gee giva usa suckoooo,

Whata fooka wasa usa smokaaaaaaah.

O mama mia meyo heyooooo,

O pikachu desu messooooh ooooohhh

Oohhhh!

Citadel dohhhhhhhh!

1750 motha truckOOOOOO..ooooo! ohhh😪

Italia BBs noa sellooooo.

*Audience goes wild standing ovation, flowers 💐and sakura blossoms 💮🌸rain down onto the stage.

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman
  • Haha 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,451 posts
14,821 battles

They are not even in testing yet so don't get your panties in a bunch folks. I am really getting tired of CC's teeing off on ships even before they have entered testing and iChase should know better.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,862 posts
16,669 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

I thought they were getting SAP; if they do I'm thinking they should be awesome!

They are getting SAP rounds. granted you can't start fires but that's not really the goal/purpose for BBs now is it?:fish_book:

.......we won't mention conquerer.....that's ones just weird.

[RLGN]
Members
15,141 posts
26,760 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Blasto, I've found the Ducas to be playable.  They're challenging to use but playable.  If I have a problem with the Ducas, it's that their HE is so darned weak.  And of course, their gun range is low, particularly with the tier 6 Duca.  But I've had some good Random games with her too.  The best tactic I found was to try to support numerous tea mates so that I'd look like a less inviting target. 

This?

Oh how I hated Duca a’Costa when I first got it.

2-ish years later I took it out for a reason I can’t recall (maybe Ribbons NB or some task/mission needing Italian cruisers,(*)) and had a pretty good game in it. Enough so I don’t dislike it any more.

Bellive I did what Crucis said; played support and rained fire down on anyone in range.

(*) On reflection, I may have used it because it has normal HE, instead of that SAP garbage.

[A-D-F]
8,268 posts
6 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

This?

Oh how I hated Duca a’Costa when I first got it.

2-ish years later I took it out for a reason I can’t recall (maybe Ribbons NB or some task/mission needing Italian cruisers,(*)) and had a pretty good game in it. Enough so I don’t dislike it any more.

Bellive I did what Crucis said; played support and rained fire down on anyone in range.

(*) On reflection, I may have used it because it has normal HE, instead of that SAP garbage.

I actually like SAP.  Yes it doesn't start fires but it hit's like a truck and it cannot over pen, ever.  It's takes a lot of the RNG out, that you have with HE or AP.  It's reliable damage.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
984 posts
21,611 battles

I am looking forward to the Ita BBs.

I know their dispersion and sigma will be poor, but they do have a lot of things going for them:  Speed, manuverability, good armor, good (but short range) secondaries.  

And yes, I like Roma also.

When I first got the 2 Duca cruisers, I wasn't a fan of them either.  Played both a good bit and had some food games in them.  They are ok - not great, not bad.  I dust them off from time to time.

[BBICT]
Members
3,886 posts
4,243 battles

I must admit that I am interested in these crazy things....My Italian must be showing...My Great Grandfather died in his sub during the fight for the Med. My Grandmother came here as a war bride.

But yeah, having big freaking SAP shells, and lots of them, AND smoke? I think its the fact that they are well....kind of weird that makes me interested....  But to each their own.

Caio Italia!

Now I oddly want a Roma...

Edited by Sir_Davos_Seaworth

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,266 battles
1 hour ago, BladedPheonix said:

They are getting SAP rounds. granted you can't start fires but that's not really the goal/purpose for BBs now is it?:fish_book:

Not for me it won't be; it will be getting spaghetti bowls full of damage with every shot.

Members
3,637 posts
42,248 battles
1 hour ago, BladedPheonix said:

.......we won't mention conquerer.....that's ones just weird.

Yes, wierd that conqueror is a ship that caters to pyrotechnic behavior. If only other ships would pull him aside and tell him: " Hey, fire 🔥 is wrong. Don't do it. Everytime you miss, it ruins the environment. Think of the bears man, think of the bunnies, and fluffy cats in the woods. Think of the wolves and reptiles. Oh the humanity, don't you have a heart ❤️?"

Conqueror: "I don't understand, I likes to burn it down. I don't have a problem, you have a problem. I am normally burning stuff down, it's my nature. "🔥🔥🔥🔥

*Fire department knocks on door.👩‍🚒

Conqueror: "I got to go.". *Jumps through the window and down 3 flights to ground. Runs away and gets in a flaming red Plymouth Grand Fury.

🔥🔥🔥🔥Off to the next match Christine!

• Funny 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,108 posts
11,023 battles

This is how I suspect the Italians will play. They have amazing survivability and amazing potential damage from their SAP, but it is inaccurate, meaning to be devastating, it has to be close. Well, these battleships have great detection range and smoke. If they know where you are, they can get to the edge of their detection range and then pop smoke, holding fire until they are right in your face, deleting you in one shot if you're a destroyer or cruiser. Worried about taking damage due to being so close? No problem, because they have both the Russian icebreaker and the German turtleback. They will survive.

Members
463 posts
20 battles

So if you landed every SAP shell on a DD with the T10, you'd do over 67000 damage. Obviously T10 DD's don't actually have 67000 health, so conversely, it will take 5 shell hits to kill your average T10 DD from full health, out of your 16 gun salvo.  Most reasonably well aimed salvos should hit more than 5/16.

SAP can't overpen, so unless they extend the BB AP rule to BB SAP, have fun getting one shot consistently by RM BB's.

Against any ships though, the SAP will be brutal. They have 96mm pen, so imagine hitting a cruiser with SAP, even if you only hit half your shells that is a 33k salvo (assuming zero citadels).  Basically cruisers will now know the pain of fighting a Venezia in a DD!  Also, If your CL has a main belt of less than 96mm with no spaced armour (Smolensk and Colbert come to mind), then a hit on the citadel armour will pen the citadel, and remember as SAP never overpens, those shells will always be citadels, up to 70-80° angle.

These ships are in for a few nerfs before release, and most certainly will need the BB AP 10% damage to DD's rule to apply to BB SAP as well, or they will break the game.