You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
You13

hybrid ships and flying submarines?

34 comments in this topic

[YOU]
Members
146 posts
12,541 battles

I was going through the WG videos and they mentioned something about Hybrid ships that you can launch airplanes from the hybrid ships while stationary. While we are at it can I request the WG to also include flying submarines and submarine CVs.

Thank you

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,057 posts
11,230 battles

Well the latter of this request never actually existed, even on paper.  The former, however, did actually exist in rl.

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
2,365 posts
26,916 battles
12 minutes ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

Well the latter of this request never actually existed, even on paper.  The former, however, did actually exist in rl.

I think you got this backwards:  the latter (submarine aircraft carriers) did exist (e.g. I-400.)  Outside of the TV, there aren't any flying submarines. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,918 posts
25,163 battles

The IJN had the I-400-class submarine carriers.

I400_2.jpg

3 of them were completed and were taken by the US after the surrender of Japan for examination.

Here is a link on the story of one USN submarine officer who would be part of the crew bringing I-400 to the USA.  It also covers some interesting aspects as they arrived in Japan after the surrender and he gathers examples of IJN technology like the Oxygen Torpedoes, as well as interaction with naval personnel.

fig02f.jpg

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[SNGNS]
Members
589 posts
6,875 battles
Just now, HamptonRoads said:

I think you got this backwards:  the latter (submarine aircraft carriers) did exist (e.g. I-400.)  Outside of the TV, there aren't any flying submarines. 

depends on your definition of submarine. i bet there are some planes that got very deep.

Members
445 posts
7,924 battles

What I want are a few cruiser-subs.   Ones with real guns.  Or annoyingly huge alternatives to torpedoes (the M-class British submarines with the single 12 inch gun for example)

• Cool 1

[MEIST]
Members
1,505 posts
5,746 battles
8 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

A 3D render of a Soviet thought back in the 1930's, of coarse never built.

flyingsubmarine001-3_full.thumb.jpg.5986bcf72c6e5c4105bd518cc2c41afa.jpg

[YOU]
Members
146 posts
12,541 battles

The power of sarcasm.  funny to see how people respond

[CO-OP]
Members
2,365 posts
26,916 battles
7 minutes ago, You13 said:

Actually, there was some discussion about hybrid sub-carriers back when WG announced testing Tone and Ise, so sarcasm aside this is a real issue.

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,057 posts
11,230 battles
31 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

No I got it I believe. The subs didn’t fly tho, they had some planes on them that could. But the sub lacked the lighter than aircraft ability

Members
1,326 posts
7,773 battles
27 minutes ago, You13 said:

Because sarcasm never works in print, I mean the written language has been around awhile and people still don't get that, amazing.

[LRT]
Members
163 posts
9,358 battles

There was a IJN submarine that carried a plane in it and launched it off the Oregon coast. The plane dropped two ascenery bombs in the forrest and started a small fire.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,918 posts
25,163 battles
1 hour ago, ithekro said:

What I want are a few cruiser-subs.   Ones with real guns.  Or annoyingly huge alternatives to torpedoes (the M-class British submarines with the single 12 inch gun for example)

We got ya, fam!

French Submarine Surcouf!  203mm x2!

Surcouf_FRA.jpg

2560px-Surcouf-outlines-1940.svg.png2560px-Scale_model_of_Surcouf-MnM_31_MG_

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,338 posts
2 hours ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

No I got it I believe. The subs didn’t fly tho, they had some planes on them that could. But the sub lacked the lighter than aircraft ability

A lighter than aircraft, aircraft.  My head hurts. :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
445 posts
7,924 battles
9 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

A lighter than aircraft, aircraft.  My head hurts. :Smile_teethhappy:

Helium lift bodies with wings.  Cause sure.

[ICLAD]
Beta Testers
115 posts
14,217 battles

I dont count the subs with planes as CV's.  They carried a few floatplanes like cruisers carried a few floatplanes.  Hell, some merchant ships carried planes.  The floatplanes were not the sub's main weapon and they didn't have a deck to land on.  The subs that actually existed used them mostly as scouts.

[SIMP]
Members
1,610 posts
30 minutes ago, Airacobra said:

I dont count the subs with planes as CV's.  They carried a few floatplanes like cruisers carried a few floatplanes.  Hell, some merchant ships carried planes.  The floatplanes were not the sub's main weapon and they didn't have a deck to land on.  The subs that actually existed used them mostly as scouts.

Huh, according to the Forumites that is EXACTLY what a hybrid is! i.e. Tone (scout crusier with float planes) and Ise (scout BB with (mostly) floatplanes).

But most IJN floatplanes were able to dive bomb  - and for some reason Wee Gee (at least for testing) has them as TORP planes. Go figure.:cap_book:

[SALVO]
Members
4,542 posts
20,890 battles
7 minutes ago, capncrunch21 said:

Huh, according to the Forumites that is EXACTLY what a hybrid is! i.e. Tone (scout crusier with float planes) and Ise (scout BB with (mostly) floatplanes).

But most IJN floatplanes were able to dive bomb  - and for some reason Wee Gee (at least for testing) has them as TORP planes. Go figure.:cap_book:

Just wait that means everybody's going to get a hybrid.....