You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Midnitewolf

Alexander Nevsky or Minotaur

21 comments in this topic

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

So I am thinking of using some FXP to climb to either the Alexander Nevsky or Minotaur.   I have played both on the PTS but since it is almost impossible to get anything resembling a normal match to actually test and get a feel for a ship I wanted to get some feedback from the community.

Thing I like/don't like about the Nevsky:

Like the decent armor

Like the projectile speed and flat trajectory

Like that both HE and AP are both viable options

Like the rate of fire

Don't like the Handling

Don't like the Concealment

Things I like/don't like about the Minotaur:

Like the very rapid fire guns.

Like the concealment

Like the smoke

Like the torpedo's

Don't like the high shell arcs

Don't like how fragile the ship is

Mixed feelings on it being AP only

The only real considerations I have is that push comes to shove, I don't think I would mind progressing up the RN CL line without using FXP at least not from what I have experienced so far from them.  As for the RUS CL line, there is not much there that interests me aside from the Nevsky which to be honest, is kind of a huge departure from the rest of the line and is kind of unique onto itself.   I would probably also be a bit more comfortable with the Nevsky due to it being a bit more resilient and able to function better as a traditional open water cruiser.   I do love the Minotaurs rate of fire though and that makes it a very fun ship at least from the limited testing I have done.

Anyway, what do you all think?   

Members
3,354 posts
17,140 battles

I hate the Mino. Show just the tiniest broadside and you are deleted in less than a second. I wish I had grinded another line. Get the Nevsky

• Funny 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,355 battles
38 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

You are missing a lot by not grinding the Russian CL line; some very playable ships live there, starting at tier 6, starting with Budyonny, and continuing on with Shchors at tier 7 and Chapayev at tier 8. And while many players have issues with Donskoi at tier 9, I enjoy playing her.

I have a Minotaur and it is also a fun ship, supported by other fun ships from tier 7 on up. Both are good lines and neither would be a bad choice.

[META_]
Members
1,660 posts
17,317 battles

Nevsky, minor has great stealth but unless behind an island they get deleted by random shots in the smoke..just my opinion 

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,057 posts
11,213 battles

Mino for me. Vastly different play styles from other light cruisers so I always enjoy something different. Sure each ship has its own nuances but the Nevsky doesn’t fill the void for something different like the Minotaur does for me

[WOLF9]
Members
112 posts
13,564 battles

I’m not a fan of FXP’ing thru a line because you loose the opportunity to learn how to make a particular ship line work.  Then you end up at TX stinking up the works and being frustrated with your results.  My recommendation is to patiently work your way through the lines - you’ll have more fun and success.

Assuming you ignore this advice, I recommend the Nevsky, as it is the more forgiving of the 2.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
2 hours ago, Purple_Dawn said:

I’m not a fan of FXP’ing thru a line because you loose the opportunity to learn how to make a particular ship line work.  Then you end up at TX stinking up the works and being frustrated with your results.  My recommendation is to patiently work your way through the lines - you’ll have more fun and success.

Assuming you ignore this advice, I recommend the Nevsky, as it is the more forgiving of the 2.

This is true in some cases but I would also argue that very often the preceding ships don't share anything in common with ship higher up the tier and therefore don't provide you with any useful experience with regards to the specific ship your now playing.   Within my very limited time testing the Nevsky on the public test server, I would say that the Nevsky has more in common with my Kronshtadt than my Kutuzov while the Kutozov actually plays more or less similar to the Shchors or Chappayev. Honestly the Nevsky seemed somewhere in between the two which means no other ship really gives you the skills to use the Nevsky without a learning curve.  That being the case, I honestly don't feel that playing ships that are really totally unrelated benefits me much.

As for the Minotaur, I kind of feel it is in the same place to a degree.   I haven't played the Edinburg or Neptune but I have played the Fiji and my testing of the Minotaur make me feel like the aside from some basic skills common to the RN CLs and quite a few destroyers, that the Minotaur feels quite different than most of the preceding ships in the line.

Also I have quite a bit of experience playing this game.  I have been around since Alpha and was a Supertester for a time.  I also have 55 premium ships of all tiers except Tier 10 though I am only 50k coal away from rectifying that deficiency.  That being the case I have quite a bit of experience with Tier 8 and 9 gameplay which often means Tier 10 gameplay.   I am not too worried about stinking up the works if I FXP a few lines up to Tier 10.  Also, it is not as if I have zero experience with either line as I am currently at Tier 7 on both.  

Finally, lets be honest here.   More than half the ships in any given tech tree suck and are painful to grind through.  I don't know how much you get out of a ship that playing makes you eyes bleed and your teeth shatter hehe.

3 hours ago, Meta_Man said:

Nevsky, minor has great stealth but unless behind an island they get deleted by random shots in the smoke..just my opinion 

Yeah to be honest, that is one thing I don't like about the Minotaur, how fragile it is though the ship seemed very fun when I have tested it.

2 hours ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

Mino for me. Vastly different play styles from other light cruisers so I always enjoy something different. Sure each ship has its own nuances but the Nevsky doesn’t fill the void for something different like the Minotaur does for me

I have to admit this is a factor for me.  The Minotaur is very different from pretty much all the other ships which is appealing.  The Nevsky on the other hand kind of felt familiar and kind different at the same time though so does kind of scratch that itch too, to some degree.  

3 hours ago, Umikami said:

You are missing a lot by not grinding the Russian CL line; some very playable ships live there, starting at tier 6, starting with Budyonny, and continuing on with Shchors at tier 7 and Chapayev at tier 8. And while many players have issues with Donskoi at tier 9, I enjoy playing her.

I have a Minotaur and it is also a fun ship, supported by other fun ships from tier 7 on up. Both are good lines and neither would be a bad choice.

I have grinded though the Budyonny and Shchors but went on to the Tallinn from there.   I also have a Kutozov which kind of struck me as similar to the Chapayev which is part of the reason I don't feel liek I need to spend the time grinding out those ship.    As far as the Donskoi, I have heard the horror stories so rather than spend the credits on a ship that I am probably not going to like, it just seems it would be best to FXP up to the Nevsky if I decided to go that direction.

As far as the RN CL, yeah I am at the Fuji now and it seems fun so if I skip ahead to the Minotaur, I plan on grinding out the Fuji then skipping the Edinburg and Neptune though unlike the Rus CL line,  grinding the entire line might be fun as it seems all the ships leading to the Minotaur seem to have good reputations.

NOTE: One other thing guys.  Part of the reason I am thinking about using FXP is because I am actually grinding a couple other lines and just don't have the time to work on these lines too but would love to be able to just jump in and play both the Minotaur and the Nevsky since I don't actually have a Tier 10 cruiser.

Members
1,112 posts
4,792 battles

Minotaur. Nevsky's playstyle is far too boring, because it's just "sit at 17km and watch BBs burn as comedy relief", similar to Smolensk, but without the smoke.

Minotaur, on the other hand, is far more difficult to play, but when you play it right, it gives a satisfaction and adrenaline rush usually associated with DDs ( because it is one )

But objectively speaking, the Minotaur is still the better ship. The Minotaur is FAR stealthier, it has a much greater rate of fire, and it rips DDs apart in mere moments thanks to a maniacal rate of fire and mega-improved AP shells. It also has a very wide toolkit, with smoke, hydro, a superheal, good AA, a fairly hefty torpedo armament, and, should you choose, the ability to slot a 10km, 40 second radar that also happens to give the Minotaur a 900 meter stealth radar window. 

Nevsky does also have a toolkit, with the railgun ballistics that are even better than Stalingrad's railgun arcs ( somehow ), good AA, Hydro / DFAA, and 12km radar. However, the Nevsky also has very poor concealment and very poor handling for a light cruiser, meaning that, if you misposition, it is very hard to extricate yourself without getting obliterated.

-Shrayes

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,894 posts
25,145 battles

Minotaurs tend to play near the caps and hunt DDs.  Those are things that can greatly sway a match.  The problem for Minotaur is you f--k up just slightly, a teeny-tiny bit, and there's a realistic chance you won't survive to make another one that match.  She is prone to deletions.  Cruisers, Battleships, doesn't matter.  Most anything out there can 1-2 shot her and land multiple citadel hits.  Hell, Henri IV with her 240mm AP shells can Overmatch and Citadel Minotaur through the bow.

If you play Alexander Nevsky at range as all RU Cruiser should normally be doing, you'll be fine.  It's a duller game I guess?  But a lot less hazardous than Minotaur or even Des Moines' dangerous lifestyle of being closer to the action.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[GOCRY]
Members
639 posts

I don’t think Nevsky is all that different than the rest of the RUCL line. I hated Shchors, but then it all clicked with the Chapayev, and I’ve loved the line ever since.  The line is going to feel like Kutuzov when your smoke is on cool down, so it sounds like you have a feel for it already.  In order to sway matches in the Nevsky, you need to find the balance between staying far enough away to dodge incoming fire, and being close enough to land most of your shells on target.  It’s a hairy edge, and I don’t find it boring at all.
I think the Nevsky is a better choice, because it’s not as situational as the Mino, but then, I don’t have a Mino, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

[DRAC0]
Members
21 posts
2,000 battles
On 9/25/2020 at 2:01 PM, Midnitewolf said:

So I am thinking of using some FXP to climb to either the Alexander Nevsky or Minotaur.   I have played both on the PTS but since it is almost impossible to get anything resembling a normal match to actually test and get a feel for a ship I wanted to get some feedback from the community.

Thing I like/don't like about the Nevsky:

Like the decent armor

Like the projectile speed and flat trajectory

Like that both HE and AP are both viable options

Like the rate of fire

Don't like the Handling

Don't like the Concealment

Things I like/don't like about the Minotaur:

Like the very rapid fire guns.

Like the concealment

Like the smoke

Like the torpedo's

Don't like the high shell arcs

Don't like how fragile the ship is

Mixed feelings on it being AP only

The only real considerations I have is that push comes to shove, I don't think I would mind progressing up the RN CL line without using FXP at least not from what I have experienced so far from them.  As for the RUS CL line, there is not much there that interests me aside from the Nevsky which to be honest, is kind of a huge departure from the rest of the line and is kind of unique onto itself.   I would probably also be a bit more comfortable with the Nevsky due to it being a bit more resilient and able to function better as a traditional open water cruiser.   I do love the Minotaurs rate of fire though and that makes it a very fun ship at least from the limited testing I have done.

I don't own either, but I've played against each of them enough.  Depends on what playstyle you like... Nevsky is going to have longer range guns, higher alpha but slower reload, and the ability to be quite tanky when angled.  Minotaur is more of a glass cannon, shorter range/high arc on the shells but unreal with the HE spam.

Positioning is always important, but it's extremely important for the Mino... being able to find cover and rain HE on targets is really going to make or break the experience for you.  Nevsky is far more forgiving of small mistakes.  Personally, if you're confident of your skill the Mino is a good choice, but I'd take the Nevsky all day.  Not that it matters, but it's also a much better choice for competitive and PVE as well.

I haven't been up the British line at all, but honestly... the Russian cruiser line isn't that bad.  It takes a little adjustment but from T5-T8 I've at least somewhat enjoyed the ships.  Not a huge fan of the Chappy at T8 but the AP on the Tallinn has been a blast.

Edited by Jeebu

[USCC]
Members
3,113 posts
14,656 battles
21 minutes ago, Jeebu said:

Positioning is always important, but it's extremely important for the Mino... being able to find cover and rain HE on targets is really going to make or break the experience for you.

I'm sure you meant glorious British AP right? Could you just imagine if it did have HE? the river of tears from burning BB's would be deep.

[DRAC0]
Members
21 posts
2,000 battles
30 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

I'm sure you meant glorious British AP right? Could you just imagine if it did have HE? the river of tears from burning BB's would be deep.

Meh, that's what I meant.  That short fuse kind of works the same, but yeah, the HE would be something special with the extra fires.

[PSA]
Members
5,113 posts
3,732 battles

Nevsky's long range HE spam is better in the current meta. And it's AP is pretty nasty against broadsiding cruisers. But long range HE spammers get boring fast.

Mino is VERY high risk/reward. But it's definitely one of the most fun ships in the game hands down.

[BTLST]
Members
687 posts
10,769 battles

I am a below-average player who has played since 2017.   I have all the Tech Tree Tier 10 Cruisers except the Goliath (which I don't really want after playing it in Public Test) and ground each line out fully, except for the Russian CL line where I did use FXP.   I enjoy playing my Minotaur though often it is a very short game for me.    I have a tendency of once shooting at a ship to be like a bulldog and bite and hold it until it is dead, which often gets me killed quickly.    Nevsky is also a tender ship but one I enjoy playing a great deal and it usually produces good results for me.    If I could only have one I'd stick with the Nevsky over the Minotaur.   I do love fast shooters and have the Smolensk, Worcester, and Atlanta.    

I enjoy playing Operation Naria and using Atlanta, Helena, and then Fiji with each one a solid producer because of their high rate of fire and their number of guns.  If Minotaur was a Tier 7 I would use it as well as it would work great in that operation.    

But in Random Battles stick with the Nevsky.    Neither the Nevsky nor the Minotaur is strong in Clan Battles, though of the two of them the Nevsky seems to do better.   Rarely do I see a Minotaur successful, or make much of an impact in a clan battle game.

[WOLF4]
Members
895 posts
12,330 battles

I like them both - both are very strong in their respective roles.

I have to say, I find Mino to be a more match influencing ship - she can absolutely deny caps to the reds, while being quite capable of taking caps and quickly deleting any red DDs within range.

Full disclosure, though - I only got Nevski yesterday, and only have a handful of matches in her.  I've been playing her in a traditional role (at range), and she does a great job of it - but setting BBs on fire is not much in the way of match influence.  So far, while I've had some good matches in terms of damage numbers - both my WR and PR numbers in her are pretty low (solo randoms).  I need to try some matches with aggressive positioning - try to exercise a bit more cap influence and use her AP to more advantage.

Anyway - get both - they are both fun ships to play, in their own right - but I think I'd tip my hat to Mino strictly in terms of overall effectiveness.  She is a fragile ship, but that can be absolutely mitigated by positioning and selected skipper skills.  However - this is a line that should not be free XP'ed - you'll need to grind through those lower tier ships to learn how to play Mino effectively - there is no substitute (and no short cut) for hands on expieriance with the British CLs.  I feel like some of those that struggle with Mino may have rushed up to her, without learning the lessons taught by the lower tier ships.

Edited by ddoubletapp1

[KAG]
Members
75 posts
10,805 battles

Alexander Nevsky is far better at locking down a flank's push due to its flight times and range. But I'd say Minotaur has the potential to be the more influential ship over the course of the game. Especially if you run Minotaur with radar.

All that being said Minotaur is by far the harder ship to play. If you're an average or below average player, go for Nevsky. It's much more player friendly (though Nevsky's armor is not strong. It's extremely easy to damage and dev strike as well).

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,894 posts
25,145 battles
On 11/4/2020 at 1:46 PM, MitoUchiha said:

Alexander Nevsky is far better at locking down a flank's push due to its flight times and range. But I'd say Minotaur has the potential to be the more influential ship over the course of the game. Especially if you run Minotaur with radar.

All that being said Minotaur is by far the harder ship to play. If you're an average or below average player, go for Nevsky. It's much more player friendly (though Nevsky's armor is not strong. It's extremely easy to damage and dev strike as well).

Mino can be influential, but one mistake, or a single occasion of an opponent getting the upper hand from smart play, then Mino is going down quickly.  3/4 HP -> "Back to Port HP" can very easily happen.  Mino can be rekt so quickly that her powerful Repair Party almost becomes irrelevant.  It doesn't mean anything if someone can land 6 Citadel hits on you in a salvo.

I actually prefer Neptune over Minotaur.

[KAG]
Members
75 posts
10,805 battles
On 11/13/2020 at 4:44 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Mino can be influential, but one mistake, or a single occasion of an opponent getting the upper hand from smart play, then Mino is going down quickly.  3/4 HP -> "Back to Port HP" can very easily happen.  Mino can be rekt so quickly that her powerful Repair Party almost becomes irrelevant.  It doesn't mean anything if someone can land 6 Citadel hits on you in a salvo.

I actually prefer Neptune over Minotaur.

Frankly if you're playing Minotaur, you know what you're getting into. You should know how to position yourself in a way that you don't get dev struck. I normally run radar Minotaur and its been a while since a battleship or cruiser has one shot me. Sure, I've gotten citadeled. But one shot? No. As for Neptune, as far as I can tell the only thing it has over Minotaur is its tier. Tier 9 gets the best matchmaking, but other than that it just seems worse in every way.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,894 posts
25,145 battles
On 11/14/2020 at 11:01 AM, MitoUchiha said:

Frankly if you're playing Minotaur, you know what you're getting into. You should know how to position yourself in a way that you don't get dev struck. I normally run radar Minotaur and its been a while since a battleship or cruiser has one shot me. Sure, I've gotten citadeled. But one shot? No. As for Neptune, as far as I can tell the only thing it has over Minotaur is its tier. Tier 9 gets the best matchmaking, but other than that it just seems worse in every way.

Minotaur is better in practically every way, especially concealment.  But yes, she plays in a more dangerous environment.

Mino can be in a game where a Massachusetts is the weakest BB in the match.

Neptune can be in a game where 356mm armed Battleships are her foes.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway