You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

The Missing CVs

9 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

Just curious ads to what carriers were removed as a result of the great CV redesign.

I only started playing CVs this month.

I remember the Bogue preceded the Langley.  What other carriers were there in the USN and IJN lines?

:cap_yes:

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,308 posts
16,251 battles

US carriers:

T5 Bogue - removed from the game.

T7 Ranger - replaced Independence at Tier 6. Independence retired to long-term reserve, pending a carrier line split (hinted at one stage, but nothing heard of since).

T7 Saipan (Premium) - elevated to Tier 8.

T9 Essex - retired to long-term reserve, pending a carrier line split (see above)

IJN carriers:

T5 Zuiho - retired to long-term reserve as per Essex

T7 Hiryu - as per Zuiho, Essex

T7 Kaga (Premium) - elevated to Tier 8.

T9 Taiho - as per Zuiho, Essex.

With the exception of the premium Graf Zeppelin, the British and German carriers all post-dated the rework.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,307 battles
11 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I remember the Bogue preceded the Langley. 

Then you remember wrong; Bogue followed the tier 4 Langley at tier 5.

[DMGS]
Members
81 posts
6,221 battles

The Bogue is still the game, she is just not playable. In the Raptor Rescue Scenario you can see a friendly Bot one. It has functional planes too!

This makes me wonder if these ships are merely hidden and awaiting changes to be reintroduced...

[WOLFG]
Members
31,329 posts
9,629 battles
2 hours ago, Firewalk said:

This makes me wonder if these ships are merely hidden and awaiting changes to be reintroduced...

Likely as premiums of some sort.....

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,310 posts
6,380 battles
4 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Just curious ads to what carriers were removed as a result of the great CV redesign.

I only started playing CVs this month.

I remember the Bogue preceded the Langley.  What other carriers were there in the USN and IJN lines?

:cap_yes:

Oink! They are working on "something different" for those CVs. Guess first we should have the Soviet CV line, including a TX with jet fighters. So you will see those CVs in 2028-31.Be patient. Goltz. 

Members
1,005 posts
1,395 battles
6 hours ago, Firewalk said:

The Bogue is still the game, she is just not playable. In the Raptor Rescue Scenario you can see a friendly Bot one. It has functional planes too!

There is sometimes a Zuiho in port when you attack Canada for Operation Killer Whale.

Members
445 posts
7,878 battles

So there are six (technically seven, if Shinano is a thing) missing carriers.

Technically enough to do a line split for the US and IJN, but I wonder if any of them could handle being a Tier higher than they are now?  Or would they drop down?  Shinano becoming a second line Tier X IJN carrier, and...on I don't know, USS United States (CVA-58) as the new second line American Tier X carrier?   It was laid down in 1949 and cancelled in favor of more long range bombers (the B-39s, which as far as I know never saw combat), the CVA-58 concept was refined with the laying down of USS Forrestal CVA-59 three years later.