You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WM1957

N3 and G3 ships

10 comments in this topic

[PHD]
Members
247 posts
7,623 battles

I think these would be excellent additions as premium ships at T8 (since Hood, which preceded them is at T7). N3 could even be a T9 premium ship since it would be armed with 457mm guns. We already have Amagi and Kii at T8.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,457 posts
16,322 battles

I'd like to see how the American Mega-Colorados perform before I'd think about putting N3 in the game. Imagine a Nelson with 18 inch guns but less friendly gun arcs, at Tier 9.

I get the feeling that Nelson captains at Tier 7 would not be very pleased to have to go up against the ship's very large, brutish big cousin. You would face not-unjustifiable backlash from people who think that one ship with nine 18-inch guns at Tier 9 (Musashi) is quite enough, thank you, and who were very pleased when she was withdrawn from availability.

• Boring 1

Members
3,354 posts
17,140 battles
17 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'd like to see how the American Mega-Colorados perform before I'd think about putting N3 in the game. Imagine a Nelson with 18 inch guns but less friendly gun arcs, at Tier 9.

I get the feeling that Nelson captains at Tier 7 would not be very pleased to have to go up against the ship's very large, brutish big cousin. You would face not-unjustifiable backlash from people who think that one ship with nine 18-inch guns at Tier 9 (Musashi) is quite enough, thank you, and who were very pleased when she was withdrawn from availability.

They can add HMS Rodney with the 18 inch guns to tier 9. 

They keep adding more T9 radar HE spammers so how's adding another T9 ship with 18 inch guns going to make a difference? Besides, the majority of my Musashi battles are tier 10 where it's matched against Yamato and Thunderer  etc. 

[ARGSY]
Members
22,457 posts
16,322 battles
20 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Rodney is Nelson's sister-ship. They both had 16-inch.

Comparing 18 inch gunned BBs to radar HE spamming cruisers is a non-sequitur. 

Most of my T9 battles are also against equal or higher tier ships, but when I am Tier 7 I see occasional T9 in the queue more often than I would perhaps like.

[HELLS]
Members
2,757 posts
29,573 battles
17 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

They keep adding more T9 radar HE spammers so how's adding another T9 ship with 18 inch guns going to make a difference? Besides, the majority of my Musashi battles are tier 10 where it's matched against Yamato and Thunderer  etc. 

Rodney has no wheels and would be an easy kill even if you only stick your nose into the fight because she cannot get out of the way and you cannot give her any realistic improvements in armor or citadel. I am aware that the proposed (and cancelled) prewar rebuild would have upgraded her machinery and made her good for 25 knots, but even that is a stretch. Best fit is at T8 if they are dumb enough to do it.

Members
3,354 posts
17,140 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Rodney is Nelson's sister-ship. They both had 16-inch.

Comparing 18 inch gunned BBs to radar HE spamming cruisers is a non-sequitur. 

Most of my T9 battles are also against equal or higher tier ships, but when I am Tier 7 I see occasional T9 in the queue more often than I would perhaps like.

I'm confused. Aren't they both N3 Class battleships? Aren't you talking about it having 18 inch guns in tier 9? 

Adding more 18 inch gun BBs is no different than adding more radar spammer ships. It's not a comparison, it's a statement.

I play T7 quite often. In the past two months or so the majority ( over 75%) of my T7 ships end up bottom tier. It seems that they sacrificed T7 to make T8s happy. MM problem didn't go away it just transferred tiers. 

• Boring 1

[REVY]
Members
2,580 posts
13,901 battles
32 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I'm confused. Aren't they both N3 Class battleships? Aren't you talking about it having 18 inch guns in tier 9? 

Nelson's are  about 10,000 tons lighter then the propsed N3 dreadnought.

Speed-wise and gun layout they are similar.

N3 was to have 18in guns instead of Nelson's 16in.

Basically the Nelson is smaller, revised N3. The Nelson's design is actually the O3.

Members
3,354 posts
17,140 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Nelson's are  about 10,000 tons lighter then the propsed N3 dreadnought.

Speed-wise and gun layout they are similar.

N3 was to have 18in guns instead of Nelson's 16in.

Basically the Nelson is smaller, revised N3. The Nelson's design is actually the O3.

So basically a massive target with 18 inch guns and perhaps slower?  I don't see any advantage for this ship

Members
445 posts
7,916 battles

The Nelson-class were what the British settled for once the Washington Naval Treaty nixed the N3 and G3 concepts.

N3 is just a 1920s design battleship with 9 x 18 inch guns in a similar pattern to Nelson (but with the third turret behind the bridge.)  A ship like Wargaming's USS Vermont would have been the American counter to a N3 style British battleship.

G3 is the real monster.  A 1920s fast battleship that could give the 1940s fast battleships a good run.  She was deceptively heavily armored, fast, and had 9 x 16 inch guns (same guns as the Nelsons got).  On paper she seemed like a battlecruiser much like Hood.  But the difference was in the British details about how the armor was laid out, which they didn't give to Jane's so that world powers wouldn't be too worried about it.  HMS Hood, in the 1920s was a proto-fast battleship.  The G3, would be the real deal.   And, at least for the United States Navy, there was no counter for such ships.  On paper, the USN could counter all the Royal Navy battleships on some level.  The battlecruisers like Repulse and Renown were problematic, but most could be killed at range due to their thin hulls, and American plunging fire.  HMS Hood was the only one the Americans had no counter for at all.  Even the Lexington-class battle scouts wouldn't be able to counter her directly.  They had the firepower and speed, but not the armor.  They would need to use numbers of Lexingtons to do the work along with the fast destroyer and cruisers to maybe torpedo Hood while she's busy with the American heavies.   A G3....nothing the Americans had could match that.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

Members
949 posts
2,321 battles

Some of the only historical high tier paper BB monsters WG is yet to release. I'd buy them especially G3.

If N3 is well armored I'd be more excited about that design than most regardless of the speed as more I've played the more comfortable I've found I am in the 20-25 knot range. Was excited to get Kansas before I figured out it had the belt armor of a protected cruiser. 

Edited by Aristotle83