Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kenrod_Melrocity

Problem with Potatoalert

8 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
221 posts
8,685 battles

I just updated my virus software (AVG). The update moved potatoalert (potatoalert_x64(1).exe) to quarantine "because it was infected with FileRepMalware". Now it won't launch or install. Anybody else out there run into this? Is it safe to remove from quarantine and/or report as a false positive? I haven't been able to find the contact info for the person who wrote potatoalert to ask, so thought I would try here. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,071
[FRR]
Members
820 posts
1 hour ago, Kenrod_Melrocity said:

I just updated my virus software (AVG). The update moved potatoalert (potatoalert_x64(1).exe) to quarantine "because it was infected with FileRepMalware". Now it won't launch or install. Anybody else out there run into this? Is it safe to remove from quarantine and/or report as a false positive? I haven't been able to find the contact info for the person who wrote potatoalert to ask, so thought I would try here. Thank you.

But why would you use Potatoalert in the first place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
221 posts
8,685 battles
16 minutes ago, ArmoredFrostX said:

But why would you use Potatoalert in the first place?

My reasons, my preference. I don't stat shame and nobody knows I use it or why I use it. And they don't need to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,663
[WORX]
Members
11,921 posts
19,472 battles
3 hours ago, Kenrod_Melrocity said:

I just updated my virus software (AVG). The update moved potatoalert (potatoalert_x64(1).exe) to quarantine "because it was infected with FileRepMalware". Now it won't launch or install. Anybody else out there run into this? Is it safe to remove from quarantine and/or report as a false positive? I haven't been able to find the contact info for the person who wrote potatoalert to ask, so thought I would try here. Thank you.

This is why, virus protection programs are losing their credibility... The mods in WOWS have been around for years, literally years... They're approved by WOWS so they know whats being downloaded. 

Recently, Virus software like AVG pray on people's fears then preventing actual treats.

  • Several 3rd party antivirus suites are known to flag this particular file as suspicious, but that doesn’t mean that the threat is real. Avast and AVG are notoriously known for triggering a lot of false positives when it comes to analyzing files that are supposedly infected with the FileRepMalware virus.

The real question IMO, Do you continue to trust your virus protection knowing its adding to your fears instead of actually protecting you from a threat ?


Web sites used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
221 posts
8,685 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

This is why, virus protection programs are losing their credibility... The mods in WOWS have been around for years, literally years... They're approved by WOWS so they know whats being downloaded. 

Recently, Virus software like AVG pray on people's fears then preventing actual treats.

  • Several 3rd party antivirus suites are known to flag this particular file as suspicious, but that doesn’t mean that the threat is real. Avast and AVG are notoriously known for triggering a lot of false positives when it comes to analyzing files that are supposedly infected with the FileRepMalware virus.

The real question IMO, Do you continue to trust your virus protection knowing its adding to your fears instead of actually protecting you from a threat ?


Web sites used.

Thanks for the reply. I've used AVG on this machine for the entire 4-5 years I've owned it and this is the first time it flagged something like this. I wouldn't describe it as "adding to my fears".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,663
[WORX]
Members
11,921 posts
19,472 battles
Just now, Kenrod_Melrocity said:

Thanks for the reply. I've used AVG on this machine for the entire 4-5 years I've owned it and this is the first time it flagged something like this. I wouldn't describe it as "adding to my fears".

Then how about, adding to your insecurity?

OR

Having trust issues because the program creates false positives ?

Either way, now you know your virus program have this issue.. Its good to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,133
[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts
3 hours ago, Kenrod_Melrocity said:

My reasons, my preference. I don't stat shame and nobody knows I use it or why I use it. And they don't need to.

You could have just replied with:

Because reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
221 posts
8,685 battles
10 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

You could have just replied with:

Because reasons.

Could've. Almost just blew it off with no reply. But my question was a request for software help and someone tried to sidetrack the post. I felt a bit more complete reply was in order. Because reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×