Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CankedTank

Alexander Nevsky or Petropavlovsk?

14 comments in this topic

[GNOME]
Members
82 posts
6,155 battles

I have enough XP to unlock the next ship in one of the two lines.  So far I've found the Schors enjoyable, if a bit touchy.  I know each line has different characteristics and uses, but really I'm asking about which line is more enjoyable to grind up?

[FRR]
Members
820 posts
19 minutes ago, CankedTank said:

I have enough XP to unlock the next ship in one of the two lines.  So far I've found the Schors enjoyable, if a bit touchy.  I know each line has different characteristics and uses, but really I'm asking about which line is more enjoyable to grind up?

I have both. But I enjoyed the grind to Nevsky more than the grind to Petropavlovsk.

Chapayev and Donskoi are more fun for me than Talinn and Riga.

However, I enjoy playing Petropavlovsk more than Nevsky. 

[POP]
Members
4,748 posts
12,813 battles
4 hours ago, ArmoredFrostX said:

I have both. But I enjoyed the grind to Nevsky more than the grind to Petropavlovsk.

Chapayev and Donskoi are more fun for me than Talinn and Riga.

However, I enjoy playing Petropavlovsk more than Nevsky. 

I more or less agree. I loved Chapy during my first grind through that line to Moskva (even though my stats don't necessarily reflect that due to being a squishy cruiser in pretty much nonstop t10 battles) and still love playing it. In fact, my Chapy captain was my third 19 pointer, even before my Moskva/Stalingrad captain. At t9 I think I enjoyed the Riga grind more than the Donskoi regrind because of the better tankiness of the 35mm plating, although Donskoi was definitely more consistent to play and do damage with. Definitely enjoy playing Petro more than Nevsky though.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,703 posts
36,224 battles

I prefer Petro over Nevsky and play both.

[GNOME]
Members
82 posts
6,155 battles

So far it's sounding like Petropavlovsk is the way to go.  I'm assuming she needs IFHE to fight well?  I would love to hear what sorts of captain builds people are putting on their Petros!

[GOCRY]
Members
639 posts

For those that enjoy Petro more, can you explain why?  I haven’t ground the RU CA line because I didn’t really enjoy Moskva’s play style, and assume Petro plays similarly.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
On 9/25/2020 at 12:55 AM, CankedTank said:

I am kind of at the same point you are. I just finished the grind through the Shchors and can't say I had a bad time in it but she was a bit too squishy for my tastes and I don't always like kitting.  Now I am faced with the Chapy and trying to decide if I should grind it or just bypass it.  I already know I am skipping the Dom based on its reputation.  I also know I will like the Nevsky because last PTS I used it quite extensively.

So yeah, the Chapy.   From what it looks like, it is going to be the same as the Shchors, only worse because it is going to have to face Tier 10s and as we all know, the power jump from Tier 9 to Tier 10 is pretty huge.  I just don't know if I have it in me to grind 200k XP playing what for all intents and purposes is going to be a worse Shchors at least when you compare the fact that Chapy is going to face Tier 10s and often. 

[GOCRY]
Members
639 posts

I hated the Shchors, but loved Chapayev!  It is absolutely NOT a worse Shchors.  Yes, it is just as fragile as the Shchors, but the radar makes all the difference.  It gives you the ability to pressure caps and hunt DDs, which gives you more ability to influence the game. If provides you stand-off capability against DDs so you can go dark when you need to.

I’d also recommend against skipping the Donskoi.  If you liked playing the Nevsky, then you should enjoy Donskoi.  Of course, if you’ve got a bunch of extra FXP, then it would save you the credits of buying the Donskoi.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
2 hours ago, SeaGladius said:

I hated the Shchors, but loved Chapayev!  It is absolutely NOT a worse Shchors.  Yes, it is just as fragile as the Shchors, but the radar makes all the difference.  It gives you the ability to pressure caps and hunt DDs, which gives you more ability to influence the game. If provides you stand-off capability against DDs so you can go dark when you need to.

I’d also recommend against skipping the Donskoi.  If you liked playing the Nevsky, then you should enjoy Donskoi.  Of course, if you’ve got a bunch of extra FXP, then it would save you the credits of buying the Donskoi.

OK, maybe not a worse Shchors but aside from Radar it doesn't seem like it has that much more to offer than the Shchors. I mean it has the same amount of guns with the same reload and is just as fragile.  The only thing I can see better about it is I think has a bit lower detectability and a bit more range though at the expense of being even less manuverable than the Shchors.  I guess it does have 25mm more belt armor but I doubt that means much.  Then you have the fact your facing Tier 10s in it.  I guess at best I kind of feel it is just a continuation of the Shchors with no significant differences except radar which while useful for sure, still isn't as useful as it could be considering your going to probably want to stay out at around 15 km away from the enemy in this ship. I guess late game the radar would be meaningful though so there is that.  Don't get me wrong, I actually had a fair amount of fun in the Shchors, more than I expected to be honest but I don't know if I want to grind another 200k plus XP in such a similar ship.

As far as the Donskoi, .  I have just heard so many people complaining about it and saying isn't not really much fun.  It does finally have enough armor to not get totally obliterated from any angle though which would be a nice change of pace.

I also have to admit that credits are a real issue for me right now.  I tend to play very wide and by coincidence, I am finishing the grind on multiple ships all at the same time and am short about 40-50 million if want to be honest it about it.    Saving credits is something to consider though if I am going to grind though the ship, I will likely make up the credits and spending 7.5 million for the Chapy is a lot cheaper than spending 17.5 million for the Nevsky.

In any case, I am still undecided.  If I decide it will be fun to grind to the Nevsky, I could use the FXP to get the Des Moines or bypass the horrible mid-tier Italian cruisers or even jump directly to the Minotaur instead.  Decisions, Decisions.

[GOCRY]
Members
639 posts

Brother, I hear you!  I have researched the Worcester, Amagi, and Sinop, but don’t have the credits.  I’ve been grinding the American, British, and European DDs as well, which is where all my credits have been going.  I’m up to the Mahan, Icarus, and Vasteras.

So it’s not so much a matter of whether the RU CLs will be worth the grind - they definitely are, IMHO - but what line to prioritize. That, I’m afraid I can’t help you with.  Pick the line that will support some other objective, like a campaign.

Regarding the RU CLs though, I thought they all played pretty similarly.  Radar is a trap if you try to use it in the early game, so play smart and try to keep your ship alive.  Late game, the radar and hydro lets you just bully DDs.  The 180s on the Donskoi lets you punish cruisers that give you broadside, and you can get some decent hits on BBs that do the same.  I had a blast playing Donskoi, with about a 57% WR before I unlocked Moskva.  These ships are just really effective at pushing DDs off the cap, which often lets your team gain the advantage and win the match.

[PIZZA]
Members
17 posts
18,405 battles

This isnt even a question:  Get the Petro.  The Nevsky is GARBAGE.  Look at global stats if you dont believe me.  The Petro sits lower in the water, harder to hit/kill.  does way more damage.  Turrets swivel 360.  Way more fun to play.  Nevsky is poo.  It's like the smolly with down syndrome and no smoke.   Rutter shift is garbage so even at range its easy to hit, not to mention slow to get to speed.  You cannot play it close up as it has paper armor.   17% fire starting chance is crap.  I have all the T10 boats and Nevsky is by far the worst of them all.  Do not grind this boat or you will be sorry.

• Haha 1

[KRAK]
Members
1,473 posts
15,916 battles

I can trade salvos with a Nevsky with the Moskva and not regret it. Only try that against a Petro when I'm headed out of the game anyway. I have 1.4 million XP in Moskva, and know what I'm talking about. Petro is hard to CIT, and will CIT the Moskva in a New York minute.

[GOCRY]
Members
639 posts
On 10/4/2020 at 10:59 PM, boots11234 said:

This isnt even a question:  Get the Petro.  The Nevsky is GARBAGE.  Look at global stats if you dont believe me.  The Petro sits lower in the water, harder to hit/kill.  does way more damage.  Turrets swivel 360.  Way more fun to play.  Nevsky is poo.  It's like the smolly with down syndrome and no smoke.   Rutter shift is garbage so even at range its easy to hit, not to mention slow to get to speed.  You cannot play it close up as it has paper armor.   17% fire starting chance is crap.  I have all the T10 boats and Nevsky is by far the worst of them all.  Do not grind this boat or you will be sorry.

Well, at the very least you kind of answered the question I asked earlier, in that you gave some reasons why you like the Petro better.  Global stats for Petro are better than for Nevsky, particularly WR, but they would also indicate that Nevsky is far from being garbage.  Plenty of Tier 10 cruisers doing worse than the Nevsky, including Smolensk. Plus, I don’t feel dirty when I play the Nevsky.

Does the Petro play like Moskva?  I did not enjoy Moskva, so if Petro plays the same, it doesn’t really matter to me how great she is, because it won’t be as fun for me.  Regardless, I’m glad that different ships for different tastes exist.

Sign in to follow this