Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Yesman1337

Weather Systems Visual and Frequency

30 comments in this topic

[EQV]
Members
126 posts
1,359 battles

I'd first like to say I would like to see more variations in the weather on the maps almost every match is just a nice sunny day could we get some night maps. Now what I really wanted to ask is even when there is weather I barely notice it. It claims there is a cyclone going on yet the map looks almost the exact same well darn if this ain't the quietest cyclone in the history of the world one moment I can see a ship the next I can't and I look around confused until I realize it says there is a supposed cyclone going on. Make the storms more fierce more rain cloudy skies etc have a flash of lightning now and then maybe make it a mechanic when in a rocky ocean because of the storm dispersion on shells is increased from the rocking or that CV squadrons have lower spotting distances for finding people and being found and maybe causing attack runs to have longer start up times. Finally for fun maybe throw in a monsoon or hurricane off to the side of the map just for some cool visuals to show where the weather is coming from.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,312 posts
37 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

I'd first like to say I would like to see more variations in the weather on the maps almost every match is just a nice sunny day could we get some night maps. Now what I really wanted to ask is even when there is weather I barely notice it. It claims there is a cyclone going on yet the map looks almost the exact same well darn if this ain't the quietest cyclone in the history of the world one moment I can see a ship the next I can't and I look around confused until I realize it says there is a supposed cyclone going on. Make the storms more fierce more rain cloudy skies etc have a flash of lightning now and then maybe make it a mechanic when in a rocky ocean because of the storm dispersion on shells is increased from the rocking or that CV squadrons have lower spotting distances for finding people and being found and maybe causing attack runs to have longer start up times. Finally for fun maybe throw in a monsoon or hurricane off to the side of the map just for some cool visuals to show where the weather is coming from.

For what's it's worth, "cyclone" and "hurricane" are simply defined by winds speeds.  They all start off as a cyclone (or tropical storm), a rotating storm that formed over tropical water.  Cyclone (or tropical storm) can become either a hurricane or typhoon as the wind speed builds, but they are the same thing, just different words depending on where on the planet they formed.

Monsoons are made by changing temperatures of land and air.

[EQV]
Members
126 posts
1,359 battles

I'm no meteorologist but interesting to learn classification system of it but still, I feel the storms could be beefed up a bit more and if it is just wind as you say why all of a sudden can my ship not see the other ship a 5 km away.

[A-D-F]
8,312 posts

18 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

I'm no meteorologist but interesting to learn classification system of it but still, I feel the storms could be beefed up a bit more and if it is just wind as you say why all of a sudden can my ship not see the other ship a 5 km away.

They do it for game balance.  If the ocean in the game were simulating real storm conditions, situations would exist where one ship was on the crest of a wave and another might be a few waves away in a trough.  One ship might be able to see and shoot at the the other, but the other ship might not be able to see the one shooting at it, even if both where in detection range.  This wouldn't be due an an intended mechanic like smoke, but completely random. 

Players would lose their minds.

Storms can reduce visibility due to greatly reduced sunlight, sea spray and ocean waves being in the line of vision, but the way it works now, it is done equally.

[EQV]
Members
126 posts
1,359 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

They do it for game balance.  If the ocean in the game were simulating real storm conditions, situations would exist where one ship was on the crest of a wave and another might be a few waves away in a trough.  One ship might be able to see and shoot at the the other, but the other ship might not be able to see the one shooting at it.  This wouldn't be due an an intended mechanic, but completely random. 

Players would lose their minds.

Storms can reduce visibility due to greatly reduced sunlight, sea spray and ocean waves being in the line of vision, but the way it works now, it is done equally.

Obviously not to those extremes of a typhoon covering ships but just add some more rain make the battlefield darker, the sea a little choppier if I am in a storm I'd like a little more storm.

[WORX]
Members
11,984 posts
19,501 battles

There is a lot of weather action in the game... In some maps its a permanent feature (snowstorms).

Each weather event,  does affect your decisions on a match. It also has the potential to take away a win from you. 

I dont think you mean weather affects in-game matches... If you're referring to visual weather? As in how the weather affects vs how you're feeling ? That IMO is a tall order to ask for a DEV for any gaming company to replicate... Must people dont have time (nor money in a pandemic) to be upgrading their gear for better weather affects..

Was that what you were referring to there OP?

[A-D-F]
8,312 posts
3 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

Obviously not to those extremes of a typhoon covering ships but just add some more rain make the battlefield darker, the sea a little choppier if I am in a storm I'd like a little more storm.

Another thing to keep in mind is the audience. I would imagine, that the constant rise and fall of the simulated horizon and a ship riding up and down the waves while the player is looking in the scope trying to aim, runs the risk of making some players actually sick.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,192 posts
4,766 battles
35 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

could we get some night maps.

There was a night Scenario -- Cherry Blossom -- that roughly recreated the actions in Empress Augusta Bay (Bougainville) in 1943 where you had to fight during the night to protect troops ashore from bombardment (as at Guadalcanal) and cover departing transports.  Then as dawn broke you received carrier backup and had to go offensive against some well-protected airfields.  IMO, the most fun Op of all.  But it's gone.

General night battle is problematic.  There are no searchlights in WoWs and radar is probably too well developed to recreate 1943.  Some variety in red spawn would have helped a lot, too.  But yes, night battle.

BRING BACK CHERRY BLOSSOM.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[EQV]
Members
126 posts
1,359 battles
2 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

There is a lot of weather action in the game... In some maps its a permanent feature (snowstorms).

Each weather event,  does affect your decisions on a match. It also has the potential to take away a win from you. 

I dont think you mean weather affects in-game matches... If you're referring to visual weather? As in how the weather affects vs how you're feeling ? That IMO is a tall order to ask for a DEV for any gaming company to replicate... Must people dont have time (nor money in a pandemic) to be upgrading their gear for better weather affects..

Was that what you were referring to there OP?

It snows on some maps? I do not think I have ever seen snow even on the arctic maps, and all I am asking for is merely a visual upgrade on the weather no gameplay changes required.

[EQV]
Members
126 posts
1,359 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

There was a night Scenario -- Cherry Blossom which roughly recreated the actions in Empress Augusta Bay (Bougainville) in 1943 where you had to fight during the night to protect troops ashore from bombardment and cover departing transports (as at Guadalcanal).  Then as dawn broke you received carrier backup and had to go offensive against some well-protected airfields.  IMO, the most fun Op of all.  But it's gone.

Night battle is very problematic.  There are no searchlights in WoWs and radar is probably too well developed to recreate 1943.  Some variety in red spawn would have helped a lot, too.  But yes, night battle.

BRING BACK CHERRY BLOSSOM.

That sounds awesome and I wish I had been able to play that. Imagine firing a star shell from some of your guns to light up and spot enemies at night (That may be a bit over the top). 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,192 posts
4,766 battles
1 minute ago, Yesman1337 said:

It snows on some maps?

Not only does it snow, but your binoculars begin to ice up and can eventually limit your vision.  IMO, it's easily the best weather effect in WoWs.

[EQV]
Members
126 posts
1,359 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

Not only does it snow, but your binoculars begin to ice up and can eventually limit your vision.  IMO, it's easily the best weather effect in WoWs.

I have never seen that, what maps does it happen on.

[A-D-F]
8,312 posts
5 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

It snows on some maps? I do not think I have ever seen snow even on the arctic maps, and all I am asking for is merely a visual upgrade on the weather no gameplay changes required.

Not my picture but, snow (and fireworks from a captain activating their skill).

shot-19_12.08_16.41_12-0902.jpg.9ee3f5c1c22bd963522e2035c4317ba4.jpg

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,192 posts
4,766 battles
1 minute ago, Yesman1337 said:

Imagine firing a star shell from some of your guns to light up and spot enemies at night (That may be a bit over the top). 

That was actually modeled!  If you sailed into a pool of light (or one appeared around you) you got focus fired.  I don't recall that bombardment gun flashes were modeled for detection, as daytime gunfire is for the rest of the game.  Which is kind reasonable.  At Savo Island the second cruiser division saw the flashes across the sound but didn't even recognize them as gunfire!

[A-D-F]
8,312 posts
2 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

I have never seen that, what maps does it happen on.

It happens often on frozen maps.  I think you just aren't noticing.

Members
1,326 posts
7,773 battles
21 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Another thing to keep in mind is the audience. I would imagine, that the constant rise and fall of the simulated horizon and a ship riding up and down the waves while the player is looking in the scope trying to aim, runs the risk of making some players actually sick.

When I came over from tanks I would get sick after a few games , still do when I switch back and forth, there is no way I want wave actions in the game, I'm a true landlubber.

[WMD]
Members
1,779 posts
10,120 battles
32 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

For what's it's worth, "cyclone" and "hurricane" are simply defined by winds speeds.  They all start off as a cyclone (or tropical storm), a rotating storm that formed over tropical water.  Cyclone (or tropical storm) can become either a hurricane or typhoon as the wind speed builds, but they are the same thing, just different words depending on where on the planet they formed.

You're about 90% accurate on this. 

A Hurricane, Typhoon, and Cyclone are all names for the same type of storm, depending on where you are in the world. In the Atlantic and Eastern Pacific they are called Hurricanes, in the Western Pacific they are called Typhoons, and in the Indian Ocean that are called Cyclones. The basic characteristics are they form in the tropics, have a defined eye, and sustained winds of greater than 63Kt. Winds below that speed are a Tropical Depression(<34Kt), or Tropical Storm(34-63Kt).  

[WOLFG]
Members
31,369 posts
9,649 battles
1 hour ago, Yesman1337 said:

Problem is, if you make it too nasty in there, people are going to start running into things, or not being able to make out orientation of spotted enemies.

While that sort of thing would be cool and help immersion, I imagine a number of people would be upset.

And if it means that games would randomly be a chore because you have to squint to (hopefully) make things out, you're less likely to play.

What I would like to see in the case of cyclones, would be a reverse of what happens at the start of many matches, where it's storming, but gradually clears. All cosmetic basically.

• Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,369 posts
9,649 battles
52 minutes ago, Yesman1337 said:

Ah ok, I misunderstood.

In that case, I heartily agree!

[WMD]
Members
1,779 posts
10,120 battles
Just now, Skpstr said:

What I would like to see in the case of cyclones, would be a reverse of what happens at the start of many matches, where it's storming, but gradually clears. All cosmetic basically.

I'm actually surprised WG hasn't tried it. It could be a lot of fun at the 6 min mark to find yourself 9km away from an enemy BB you had no idea was there. 

Edited by VeatherVitch

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,192 posts
4,766 battles
1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

runs the risk of making some players actually sick.

Femennenly was one of the most bad-[donkey]ed CV players ever.  She can't play the reworked CVs now for long without getting motion sickness.  Some people get vertigo on the space maps.  It's a real consideration.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,192 posts
4,766 battles
1 hour ago, Yesman1337 said:

well darn if this ain't the quietest cyclone in the history of the world

There's a mod for that!  Aslain's pack has a Rough Seas mod that simulates a higher sea state at all times.  I ran it for a while; it's kinda fun.  No the ship doesn't pitch.

[SALVO]
Members
25,838 posts
28,189 battles
1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

Actually, I thought that cyclones, hurricanes, and typhoons are the same thing, with the only difference being which ocean they occur in.  Cyclones occur in the Indian Ocean, Typhoons occur in the Pacific Ocean, and Hurricanes occur in the Atlantic Ocean.

Sign in to follow this