You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

Ever say this to yourself?

24 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

"Okay, I'm done with grinding for a while. I'll focus on enjoying the 62 ships that I already have instead."

\

:cap_yes:

Or are you obsessively always grinding for the next tier?

I spend much more time grinding than having fun. However, I'm now at a place where l have most of the ships I wanted. When I look at both the armory and store about the only ship that interests me is the Agir but at 77 muchachos, I'll pass until I win the lottery.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Members
2,439 posts
14,392 battles

Ironically, for me, once the grind is over and I have the ships I want, that's when I lose interest in the game.  I have a feeling that I am not alone, which is why games try to always have some carrot on a stick for you.

• Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,346 posts
9,637 battles
16 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

"Okay, I'm done with grinding for a while. I'll focus on enjoying the 62 ships that I already have instead."

I say that a lot, but then my interest in some line I left off or haven't tried yet picks up.

For example, I decided last week to maybe try the IJN gunboats, so I bought a Minekaze, plugged in a captain, and today I'm almost done with Hatsuharu. I'll probably get partway through Akizuki, and pause for awhile, and maybe go back and finish Richelieu.

I think the KM BB and CA lines are the only ones I've ground to T10 without being back burnered for awhile

16 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

When I look at both the armory and store about the only ship that interests me is the Agir but at 77 muchachos, I'll pass until I win the lottery.

I like Agir, you can get it for FXP too. I don't think it's quite as good as Alaska, (which I don't own) but it suits my playstyle better.  

[D33P6]
Members
563 posts

I don't grind.  My goal is to get every Tech Tree Tier X ship.  I will play the ship until I get a win for the extra XP bonus for the day.  Once I have the Tier X ship, I will on occasion play it but will ignore it for the most part.

I have almost every Tier X ships.  I haven't decided on what to do afterwards.

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts
5 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I have 37 premium ships. I didn't pay for 36 of them. My goal is to win 50 

You could write a book on how to do this.

Do you mean that you got them with coal, steel,  or FXP?  Or by buying Santa crates?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,783 posts
20,267 battles

With all the tech tree T10s that I'm moderately interested in already in port and 160+ ships, rare is the time that I actively grind.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,346 posts
9,637 battles
8 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Do you mean that you got them with coal, steel,  or FXP?  Or by buying Santa crates?

I've only got 16, 2 were from events, 2 from FXP, 1 from a campaign, 1 from an SC, and the rest from coal.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,346 posts
9,637 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

With all the tech tree T10s that I'm moderately interested in already in port and 160+ ships, rare is the time that I actively grind.

I'm kind of there too. 

I only have half the ships though lol.

I find that I don't always care to get to T10. For example, I stopped at Amagi, I don't feel like grinding through Izumo for Yamato, because I have Musashi. 

I may get Zao at some point, but Ibuki is pretty fun, so I'm probably good to stay there. (that's where the permacamo will sit, with the other one (if I get it) going on Alsace when I get that)

Going to T10 just because would also present me with captain problems, as I tend to keep a lot of the ships I grind.

Plus, other than my T9/10 premiums, T7-8 is where I make credits.

Members
3,354 posts
17,100 battles
1 hour ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

One for FXP, one steel, and five for coal and the rest I won doing events, missions, campaigns etc..

Also I won Alabama in SP two weeks ago and my Moskva was turned into a premium ship.

Edited by STINKWEED_

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,176 posts
18,835 battles

I haven't been grinding for about three years now.  I don't even do events.  I participate in the normal course of my daily play, but don't target anything in particular.  I might play a ship now and then that is part of a line that I haven't advanced, but that's just to play the ship.  I have several ships I enjoy a lot and play them a lot.  Jump into others now and then for some variety.  But no grinds for me.  No objectives...other than WINNING!!!!  Just some nice fun play at the end of my work day.  Try to get three or four games in a night.  Sometimes more...sometimes less.  I'm a fierce competitor, so I'm all in when I do play.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,313 battles
2 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I have 37 premium ships. I didn't pay for 36 of them. My goal is to win 50 

2 hours ago, Skpstr said:

I've only got 16, 2 were from events, 2 from FXP, 1 from a campaign, 1 from an SC, and the rest from coal.

I have 50; I bought a lot, I won a lot, and I earned a lot. I'm at the point now where I'm ready to quit playing line ships and only play premiums.

Beta Testers
3,281 posts
26,944 battles

384 ships and I only play when in the mood that's a lot less then it use to be ......................  

[WOLF9]
Members
989 posts
21,721 battles
4 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Ironically, for me, once the grind is over and I have the ships I want, that's when I lose interest in the game.  I have a feeling that I am not alone, which is why games try to always have some carrot on a stick for you.

You are not alone.  I finished grinding all of the tech tree lines I wanted and I was like 'Now What?'  This was one reason I am trying the RB.  Also, I set up an alternate list of 'to dos', like getting 2 19 pt captains for all 7 major nations, fully equipping all of my T10s (done), T9s (halfway), and T8s (only those I play regularly), building up credits and FXP for the cmdr skill rework, etc.

[PHD]
Members
1,746 posts
7,132 battles

I think I have about 56 ships, just picked up two tonight. I  have several I like to play and find interesting. I need a reason to move up a line. I  don't like grinds or deadlines. If I wanted that I would just go into work,  it pays better.

[-CFI-]
Members
367 posts
3,781 battles

93 ships. I have... 43... premiums. I bought about 1/3 of them with cash or doubloons. A few I acquired with coal or Free XP. The rest I won from crates or ground out in events.

I'm pretty sure I have ships I've never played. I know I have ships I've never played in Randoms, especially at Tiers 6 and 7, though I did take the opportunity to play quite a few of those in Asymmetric.

After this Dockyard event is done, I'm going to work on grinding my first 19 point captain. I have three potential candidates, one at 15 and two at 14. And then I'll just hope I get to enjoy him for a little bit before the captain skill rework hits.

But to answer the question, yes, I take time from the grind to play for fun sometimes. Often that's cycling through my Tier 2 and Tier 3 ships. I like the brawling and chaos down there. I don't think I'm quite good enough to count as a seal clubber, besides which it often seems that everyone down there these days is a seal clubber. Except for the bots.

Edited by Incomitatus
  • Funny 1

[ALLY]
Members
351 posts
19,763 battles

To all:

I will not say that WG has never received any money from me, but I have never paid for a ship from money out of my pocket.  I am not sure how many premium/special ships that I have, but I know if you count the ARP and other event ships it is a lot.  I have gotten 3 premium ships from SCs (Atago, Molotov, and Huanghe).  I save up my gold dubloons, FXP, RB, coal and steel.  I did spend the dubloons to get Odin, but they were ones that I received in SCs, the events where you can get 50 if you log on enough and ranked battles usually give me some.  I will spend to get the Anchorage and will be down to 6100 dubloons and will start saving again.  The one thing that I do spend money on is premium time when it is on sale usually around Christmas.  I currently have 2 T10 ships that I need more silver to fully equip, I have a T10 and a T9 ship researched that I am saving up silver to buy.

I do grind the lines, but I do not rush through. I take my time and try to learn the ships and their unique way of play.  For instance I am currently working on the EU DD line, the British CA line, and the RU CA line.  I will probably start grinding the German CV line at some point.  Besides that I reset the German CA line and I will need to reset at least one more line to get the Ohio which is the ship I want first from the RB.

I just enjoy playing the game and trying to become a better player.  I know my win rate is around 50%, but that is a heck of a lot better than when I had a 43% win rate with 9000 battles played so I believe that I have gotten better.  Is there still more for me to learn, heck yeah!  I learn slowly and I will probably be learning when the game either goes off the net or I quit for some reason.

So just imagine Van Halen performing the old Roy Rogers song when I type "Happy Sails to you, until we meet again.  Happy Sails to you, keep smiling until then."

C130 signing out

[BBICT]
Members
3,886 posts
4,243 battles

Interesting question... I have 55 ships in port now. I was a grind Monster when I started playing, and was on the fast track to Montana...which I still don't have lol. Turns out I have ships A.D.D. and kept getting sidetracked, and stopped the grind at the N.C. I do have 3 tier 10s: Republic, Mino, and HIV...I wanted to do clan wars...but then quit for a year and half, so such for that.

I really don't see myself grinding anymore. I oddly do want some things, like the Italian CA, and even the RN CA, but everyone says there are both terrible lines to grind, so I've talked myself out of them. I MIGHT try for the Vermont...unless they suck as bad as people say they will, then who knows, maybe I'll get that Montana anyway...but that is about it as far as grinding.

I am hording coal, in the hope they add more coal ships, but not in a hurry.

Real money? I still think I want a Hood, because HOOD. But that has nothing to do with gameplay and everything to do with what I find interesting. I said I wasn't gonna spend money if I came back and so far I've haven't...but since I'm "impossible" to buy for, maybe a family member might buy her for me.  For some reason the Viribus Unitis is interesting to me...I think I just like the design, but again, that has nothing to do with trying to play the game with her.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,579 posts
14,473 battles

I spend most of my time NOT grinding. At 166 ships, my fleet is large enough, and varied enough that I do not NEED to grind every new line. I pick what lines are interesting/ entertaining to me (like the Italian cruisers). I participated heavily in the Russian CA split early access event specifically to avoid as much of the line grind as possible.

I think those are the only grinds I undertook to completion during this calendar year.

I started re-grinding Colorado for the US BB split. I “adapted and overcame” by just dropping it, as I am not a fan of the new line.

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,448 posts
21,647 battles

I'm just short of 200 ships, quite a mix of premiums with only 3 bought. I spend real money in premium time and flags.

As I have almost all lines at tier 8 or above, I find myself playing those I enjoy the most while grinding.

I'm stuck at Izumo and Oland as I don't enjoy playing them. Yamato is THE ONE ship I wanted since I started playing more than 5 years ago (I started on Closed Beta) but after Nagato the line got worse for me. Not to mention I found the Pan EU line awful.

I have Jean Bart, and Richelieu feels so lacking.

RN DDs were done in a blink, and enjoying Jutland as hell. I really love when I grind without feeling it's a grind.

So yes, actually without paying attention I play the ships I enjoy the most, while always trying not to abandon other ships.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,579 posts
14,473 battles

Actually , there are non-ship grinds that I (and probably “we”) never get entirely away from:

1) Coal grind. Dailies, pile some up, little by little, day by day.

2) Steel. Now viable in dailies, dribbles and drabs here and there. Limited ranked participation (for some of us). But my clan is moribund, so no more Clan Battle steel.

Then there are/were UU grinds. In the last week, I got the Zao UU (knowing it was trash), via missions,just to say I did. But I like the Zao, and it was never a grind to take it out. Also in the last week, I got the Yamato UU, also via missions.

But I think I’m done with UU mission grinds, despite having eight more that I could complete.

I guess there is an “implicit” captain grind always going on - I play the ships I like, all of which have 19-point captains. I distribute that to other priority captains, getting them up to snuff to get added to my regular ship play rotation.

But I don’t know, freedom/liberty to go through a large selection of ships I want to play, when I want to play them, already in top configuration, can hardly be characterized as a grind.

I guess that is why I resent the advent of the 21-point commander so much, it makes an explicit grind out of my “implicit” grind - a grind I never volunteered for, a mountain I had already climbed - has been thrust upon me anew.

Members
1,483 posts
17,719 battles

Does the grind ever really end?

Even if we have all the ships we currently want do they all have 19pt commanders to reach their full potentials? That goal will soon increase to 21pts.

No my friends the grind is never supposed to end... that's the way the game is designed.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,351 posts
16,264 battles
20 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Or are you obsessively always grinding for the next tier?

I  pick my battles carefully, although sometimes I end up surprising myself regarding what I go for.

It was a long time before I started grinding seriously for the Yamato because Tier 10 BBs are expensive to run, especially in co-op. But when the High School Fleet collaboration made a return last year, I did the collection and got the event perma-camo for it. Not quite as economically lucrative as the regular permacamo, but good enough. So suddenly that became something I wanted to do eventually. 

Then they announced the imminent transformation of Moskva into a coal ship, without which I would probably still be muddling around in the Shchors once or twice a month. A one-time chance to get a Tier 10 coal ship for grinding a tech tree? Yes, please (and I got a Kraken in the Donskoi en route).

Audacious was a useful tool in the finishing of the Strong-Willed campaign. I free XP'd that one the last 125K in order to get to it early, but I figured future campaigns might want a T10 carrier and I consider it a worthwhile expenditure.

Daring had always been on my list of ships to get, but I kept on dragging my feet until the Strong-Willed campaign came in this year and offered the perfect set of requirements in which to finally get out of the Lightning and start my climb through the Jutland. I don't quite know what happened there, but a grind I planned to complete at Christmas finished a couple of weeks ago.

Shimakaze was NEVER something I thought I would grind to (I had thought to stop at Kagero), but a while ago I found that the Angler camo from the Filth event last year was available in game. My kids really liked that camo, and so I thought "You know what? Now that I know I can get it, I can almost feel their soulful little eyes on me, begging me to get it for them." I was rather shocked at how quickly I got through that, but I was right to push on past Kagero. Yugumo is so much fun I didn't want to move her captain out of her.

Until a couple of days ago, I thought there was nothing left to whet my appetite for Tier 10 (except maybe Vermont in some distant future). But given my Italian ancestry, there's no way in hell I'm stopping before I get to Cristoforo Colombo.