You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Midnitewolf

Wanted: New Quick Command Message...."WATCH OUT FOR FRIENDLY TORPS"

94 comments in this topic

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

To put it bluntly, I am so tired of teammates just blindly running into my torps......AFTER I WARN THEM THEY ARE HEADING INTO AN AREA WHERE I FIRED TORPS!!!!!

I am not talking about IDIOT danger close firing of torps which you shouldn't ever do, I a talking about torps that you fire only to see a teammate that was seconds ago going the other direction, sudden turn right into the path of your torps.  I am also talking torps that are far enough away from the friendly that you actually have time to type, "Jutland, your sailing into my torps turn away!!!" and he just continue sailing full 10+ second right into the path of your torps.

Of course, he probably had chat disabled which is the stupidest thing WG allows.  Despite toxic comments now and again, this is a team game and requires team communication at times.

Now, the penalty is rather small, unless in the subsequent 3 matches so other idiot doesn't pay attention and runs into your torps but I really don't like being penalize for intentional damage or sinking a friendly when it is entirely their fault.  Again not talking danger close idiot torps, talking torps fired well away of where you can even anticipate your team going.

• Cool 9
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 7

[YARRR]
[YARRR]
Members
259 posts
5,471 battles
5 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

To put it bluntly, I am so tired of teammates just blindly running into my torps

Don't even need to read the rest of this post to know the real problem here is you being reckless with torp launches.

"blindly running into my torps"
"heading into an area where I fired torps"

"just continue sailing full 10+ second right into the path of your torps"

"entirely their fault"

All translates to:

"I shoot torps at greens"

Edited by Epic_Baller
  • Cool 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Meh 3

[SNGNS]
Members
585 posts
6,841 battles

to translate what my colleagues up top want to say is that here, on this forum, the general attitude is "your torps, your fault".

i personally agree with that sentiment. but i do kinda agree with your idea. a general ping for "careful! my torps are getting close" would be neat.

• Cool 2

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,644 posts
12,047 battles

I never fire torps unless my forward 90 degree quadrant is clear. If I have to, I ensure that the player gets a "Get Back" and a verbal communication, and then I ping the torpedo attack direction on my map. Then I fire.

To this date, I have been pink once, because my friend received the warning and pulled a pro gamer move and made fun of me on Discord afterward for it :cap_horn:

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,268 posts

You think they are turning into them by mistake? :Smile_veryhappy:

Not firing torps near friendlies is not for their protection, it is for yours.  Do not fire torps, if the possibility exists that a friendly will be ABLE to run into them. 

This is the internet, a warning message isn't going to stop this from happening because it often wasn't an accident to begin with.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,304 posts
9,903 battles

Because having to slow down or turn to avoid friendly torps totally doesn't put your own teammates in precariously bad position against the enemy's ordinance which will do several more times the value of damage compared to reduced damage from friendly torps.

• Cool 4

[A-D-F]
8,268 posts
Just now, Sovereigndawg said:

Just don't get the Kitakami.

I am buying that thing within an hour of it's release.  No matter what time that happens to be.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[TIMT]
Members
1,105 posts
4,457 battles

While I wholeheartedly agree with the notion "your ordnance, your responsibility" the idea has some merit.

Their have been some situations where firing torpedoes would have been the right move but where a an unaware friendly might have sailed into them if they changed course or did some maneuvers. I am talking DDs sailing in formation or supporting a friendly about to getting rammed. In these circumstances having a hotkey for 'Watch out torpedoes [targetd ship]" might be handy, certainly quicker than typing and probably more precise. I have noticed players using the horn sometimes to alert others they are about to torp in tight spaces, might be a good thing to catch on.

• Boring 1

[A-D-F]
8,268 posts
2 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

While I wholeheartedly agree with the notion "your ordnance, your responsibility" the idea has some merit.

Their have been some situations where firing torpedoes would have been the right move but where a an unaware friendly might have sailed into them if they changed course or did some maneuvers. I am talking DDs sailing in formation or supporting a friendly about to getting rammed. In these circumstances having a hotkey for 'Watch out torpedoes [targetd ship]" might be handy, certainly quicker than typing and probably more precise. I have noticed players using the horn sometimes to alert others they are about to torp in tight spaces, might be a good thing to catch on.

The bottom line is that you accept the risk when you do it.  You move the trust from yourself, to others.  You can do that, it's not the end of the world, but then complaining that strangers on the internet didn't do the trustworthy thing, is rather entertaining for everyone else.

If you are going to accept the risk, when it goes wrong, you just have to write it off as your mistake, not theirs.

• Cool 1

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
42 minutes ago, Epic_Baller said:

Don't even need to read the rest of this post to know the real problem here is you being reckless with torp launches.

"blindly running into my torps"
"heading into an area where I fired torps"

"just continue sailing full 10+ second right into the path of your torps"

"entirely their fault"

All translates to:

"I shoot torps at greens"

See that is your problem.  You didn't read what I said.  If you had, you would understand the scenario I was talking about which isn't "Danger Close" torp'ing like too many idiots tend to do.   I am talking about when your teammate is obvious going the other direction and it is perfectly clear between you and the target, you fire and as soon as you do, your teammate who was previously sailing away decides to he wants your torps and he is going to do everything in his power to catch them like a dog seeing a squirrel.

To describe the scenario that prompted me to post.  I was sitting top center of the cap.  There was friendly Jutland and started off about mid cap probably bearing probably 200-210 degrees south of my position sailing due east on a course of 90 degree. away from my target.     There was an enemy BB sailing toward me just slightly east of due south probably at 170 degrees from my position sailing straight North.  I launched at 11 km out to intercept my target at probably the 9km range.  As soon as I sent torps, the Jutland turns directly west following a course of 270 sailing directly at the BB I was targeting.  I then see him cut in to try to get an angle on the BB and immediately realized his course would put him directly in the path of my torps.

At this point I type, "Jutland, watch out for my torps your sailing right into them".  I watch him continue sailing right into the path of my torps.  I start typing again, "JUTLAND!!! STOP!!" but it was too late.  He had a good probably 15 second of warning AT LEAST and it not like friendly torp aren't spottable.  All he had to do was look for them and either put on the breaks or turn away.  But Nope he sailed oblivious and he ate one of my torps.

Unfortunately this happens way too often and the people who get hit get pissed about it. 

The reason I suggest a new message is it takes too much time to try to type a warning and maybe if you spammed "WATCH OUT FOR FRIENDLY TORPS!!!" 2-3 times with a quick key, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, people would actually see the message and at least LOOK AROUND THEM for danger.

That is all it is, just SOMETHING, ANYTHING to get people to have some sort of situational awareness.  Hell I have been torped by friendly many times so such a message would also be beneficial to me when I have lost any sort of situationally awareness.  

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

[SALVO]
Members
5,933 posts
4,946 battles
1 hour ago, Midnitewolf said:

snip

Ok, I like your idea... replace "Oh, Neptune's beard" for the torp warning, it would be way more useful.

• Cool 2

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

I am going to say a lot of people just don't read.

Torps can have very, very long ranges.   10 km plus.   It is very easy to have no one appear to be anywhere close to your torps when you fire them only for by the time the torps are out there 7-8+ KM away from where you have fired them, someone from your team has sailed into their path.  What don't people understand about this?

Seriously, I am talking people sailing into your torps 30 second into their run time.  That isn't shooting at or even near friendlies.

The problem is people don't pay attention to chat nor have any sort of situational awareness and it is annoying when you do everything in your power to warn them but they are completely oblivious UNTIL your Torp hits them, then they are all pissed off. 

<Sigh>  There are just so many people who don't understand that there are times when it is actually your own fault when you get hit by friendly torps.  

• Thanks 1

[INTEL]
Members
3,363 posts
18,326 battles
2 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

Torps can have very, very long ranges.   10 km plus.   It is very easy to have no one appear to be anywhere close to your torps when you fire them only for by the time the torps are out there 7-8+ KM away from where you have fired them, someone from your team has sailed into their path.  What don't people understand about this?

Seriously, I am talking people sailing into your torps 30 second into their run time.  That isn't shooting at or even near friendlies.

4 out of 5 Yoshino drivers agree

• Funny 1

[-TKS-]
Members
271 posts
9,081 battles

I've turned myself pink a few times because i wasn't paying attention. But those of us that are in agreement with the post understand that teammates also don't pay attention to the map and their surroundings  and inevitablly will turn into torps or for some reason, EVERYONE here has had this happen to them, if you haven't you don't play with torps enough.

• Cool 1

Members
1,306 posts
7,142 battles
4 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

The problem is people don't pay attention to chat nor have any sort of situational awareness and it is annoying when you do everything in your power to warn them but they are completely oblivious UNTIL your Torp hits them, then they are all pissed off. 

<Sigh>  There are just so many people who don't understand that there are times when it is actually your own fault when you get hit by friendly torps.  

This is called second line torping and it is, in general, a very bad thing to do. Ships closer to the enemy often need to maneuver. Those ships may need to change course. They should be able to do those things without having to worry about whether a friendly has launched torpedoes that will cut off their path and limit their freedom of movement. Particularly since the players firing those torpedoes rarely have any understanding of what the friendly ships ahead of them are likely to do or trying to accomplish. Torpedoes fired in the situations you're talking about have very little chance of hitting the enemy and are more hazardous to the teammates in front of you than the enemy. 

Just don't launch them. And yes I know about that time you launched at a target 15km away with two friendlies in front of you away and dev struck him for the last minute win or how you regularly get 100k damage with your long range second line torps and I'm going to say it again: just don't launch them. Or do but recognize the risk you are assuming when you launch. 

• Cool 3

[WOLFG]
Members
11,111 posts
10,336 battles
11 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

People are reading.  They just don't agree.

Some people have chat turned off.  Others don't pay attention to chat.  

Same goes for noticing torps, whether you warn them or not.

And we can argue all day about instances where the torpee is the one at fault, but the torper always gets penalized.

[KERMT]
Members
1,068 posts
14,467 battles
14 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

See that is your problem.  You didn't read what I said.  If you had, you would understand the scenario I was talking about which isn't "Danger Close" torp'ing like too many idiots tend to do.   I am talking about when your teammate is obvious going the other direction and it is perfectly clear between you and the target, you fire and as soon as you do, your teammate who was previously sailing away decides to he wants your torps and he is going to do everything in his power to catch them like a dog seeing a squirrel.

To describe the scenario that prompted me to post.  I was sitting top center of the cap.  There was friendly Jutland and started off about mid cap probably bearing probably 200-210 degrees south of my position sailing due east on a course of 90 degree. away from my target.     There was an enemy BB sailing toward me just slightly east of due south probably at 170 degrees from my position sailing straight North.  I launched at 11 km out to intercept my target at probably the 9km range.  As soon as I sent torps, the Jutland turns directly west following a course of 270 sailing directly at the BB I was targeting.  I then see him cut in to try to get an angle on the BB and immediately realized his course would put him directly in the path of my torps.

At this point I type, "Jutland, watch out for my torps your sailing right into them".  I watch him continue sailing right into the path of my torps.  I start typing again, "JUTLAND!!! STOP!!" but it was too late.  He had a good probably 15 second of warning AT LEAST and it not like friendly torp aren't spottable.  All he had to do was look for them and either put on the breaks or turn away.  But Nope he sailed oblivious and he ate one of my torps.

Unfortunately this happens way too often and the people who get hit get pissed about it. 

The reason I suggest a new message is it takes too much time to try to type a warning and maybe if you spammed "WATCH OUT FOR FRIENDLY TORPS!!!" 2-3 times with a quick key, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, people would actually see the message and at least LOOK AROUND THEM for danger.

That is all it is, just SOMETHING, ANYTHING to get people to have some sort of situational awareness.  Hell I have been torped by friendly many times so such a message would also be beneficial to me when I have lost any sort of situationally awareness.  

Again, you are the issue not your team mates. Your inability to self analyze is stopping you from progressing any further as you are continuing to think the fault is external.

The fault is you and they way you are playing. 
This is also reflected in all the feedback you are getting. 

Read the writing on the wall. It is you.

[A-D-F]
8,268 posts
25 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

We read it.

You have a mini map that shows you where all of your teammates are.  They are not hidden or invisible to you. The general rule is that you should not fire torps, if they can hit a teammate.  At all. Do not click.

This is to protect both you and them.  Most often you though, because a warning message isn't going to change anything.  Like I said, not everyone that runs into your torps, did it by accident. 

You have it backwards. It isn't "Oh no!  Can I get out of the way of these torps?".  It's "I wonder if I can run into those friendly torps before they get by me....  (Rudder hard over) let's find out lulz.".  The warning message will not save you, but it might make people start looking around to see if they CAN run into them. :Smile_teethhappy:

Torps get a lot longer range than 10K.  20K torps exist in the game.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,949 posts

OP,  regardless of what you've actually been doing, prepare for a storm of posts and downvotes accusing you of being careless.