You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ohiro1

Is there a 'Jolly Roger' in WoWs?

26 comments in this topic

[TMP]
Members
23 posts
3,425 battles

If not, maybe War-gaming should add one. 

Why?   Maybe because of this:   https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/36644/heres-why-the-destroyer-uss-kidd-was-flying-a-huge-pirate-flag-as-it-pulled-into-port

Anybody know if there is one?   If not, what do you think of adding one?

Screenshot_2020-09-23 kidd-top jpg (WEBP Image, 1440 × 810 pixels).png

Edited by Ohiro1
Added picture

[O_O]
Members
6,905 posts
16,555 battles

Yes, but it is no longer available.  A Jolly Roger flag used to be awarded for reaching Rank 1 in Ranked.  WG abandoned that almost a year ago?

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
732 posts
6,016 battles

I seem to remember you get a jolly roger flag if you rank out.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
454 posts
10,422 battles

There was also one given during pirate day years ago can check the wiki on all the flags that are in the game

[WOLF9]
Members
174 posts
20,440 battles

They were giving one away for Talk Like a Pirate Day just a few days ago, the code was THARSHEBLOWS2020. Maybe it's still active! 

• Thanks 2

[FML]
Members
4,120 posts
16,057 battles
4 minutes ago, Capt_Scuttlebutt said:

They were giving one away for Talk Like a Pirate Day just a few days ago, the code was THARSHEBLOWS2020. Maybe it's still active! 

Wow, just worked! Thanks!

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,750 posts
25,011 battles
11 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

I think there was one for the Pirate community event awhile back...

Yeah but it's orange-red in color.  There were classic black ones but they were Ranked rewards.

PCEE012_SeasonFlag02.pngPCEE015_Jolly_Roger_2.pngPCEE049_Jolly_Roger_3.pngPCEE118_Jolly_Roger_4.png

The one below was for the "Talk Like a Pirate Day" event.

PCEE046_Pirate_Day_flag.png

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[TAZ]
Members
833 posts

The flag that came with the Kidd when it was in the premium shop was NOT a Jolly Roger; but a blue flag with a star, sword and pistol 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,750 posts
25,011 battles

Jean Bart, Kidd would have been nice candidates for pirate flags due to the men they were named after.  Wonder if there's others named after pirates and privateers.

[TMP]
Members
23 posts
3,425 battles
39 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Wow, just worked! Thanks!

How does that work?  (Although I've been playing almost a year I still don't know how to work most things about this game!)

[FML]
Members
4,120 posts
16,057 battles
Just now, Ohiro1 said:

How does that work?  (Although I've been playing almost a year I still don't know how to work most things about this game!)

OK, scroll up to the top of this page.  On the top right, there is your logged in username.  Click the pulldown menu, and select 'activate wargaming code'. It'll eventually take you to a page to type in the code (you may need to log in again).  Let me know if this is not sufficiently clear. 

• Cool 1

[TMP]
Members
23 posts
3,425 battles
6 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

OK, scroll up to the top of this page.  On the top right, there is your logged in username.  Click the pulldown menu, and select 'activate wargaming code'. It'll eventually take you to a page to type in the code (you may need to log in again).  Let me know if this is not sufficiently clear. 

That was incredibly helpful!   So THAT'S how that works!   Thank you so very much.   I was looking for some way in the Game itself or the YouTube Channel.    You've taken care of one of the million things I still don't know.   Thank you again. 

• Cool 1

[TMP]
Members
23 posts
3,425 battles
18 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Jean Bart, Kidd would have been nice candidates for pirate flags due to the men they were named after.  Wonder if there's others named after pirates and privateers.

The USS Kidd flew a classic Jolly Roger in WWII, and now, again...in it's latest incarnation!

That picture is literally the USS Kidd, flying a Jolly Roger!   Note to the Art Department:  The WWII Kidd actually had a painting of the 'original' Captain Kidd on it's stack. 

[From the cited article] "The crew of the [first] Kidd ... had also painted the famed buccaneer’s image high on the forward smokestack," according to a 2013 edition of the official newsletter of the current USS Kidd. "

Edited by Ohiro1
Expand

[TMP]
Members
23 posts
3,425 battles

You folks have all been so very helpful!   Thank you.  

Perhaps WG will see fit to provide an historically accurate alternate Kidd flag (I'm a total Idaho in DDs, and own no Kidd, but think it would be pretty cool).   The "Talk Like A Pirate Flag" UltimateNewbie showed me how to get is lovely addition.  As it's red perhaps I'll feel less like an Idaho, and more like a Yam.  :)

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,517 posts
18,105 battles

Since I don't have the intestinal fortitude to make it all the way to Tier 1 in standard ranked perhaps a Jolly Roger for those of us that rank out a number of times in Sprint. 

They even look good on subs. 

File:The crew of HM Submarine UNISON display their 'Jolly Roger' at  Plymouth, having returned from a successful 16 months in the Mediterranean,  10 October 1943. A19673.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,483 posts
9,751 battles
1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

Yes, but it is no longer available.  A Jolly Roger flag used to be awarded for reaching Rank 1 in Ranked.  WG abandoned that almost a year ago?

Really, you no longer get that flag? Shame if true. 

[VIGOR]
Members
106 posts
20,805 battles

The real USS Kidd had a jolly roger in their flag bag. it was used as a novelty. when ever she finished any along side evolution (hi line, refuel etc.) she would pop the jolly roger as she broke away. (pop- the flag was folded in such a way that it could be hoisted to the top of the signal lanyard and whith a tug on the lanyard the flag would pop open)

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Members
6,124 posts
1 hour ago, Ohiro1 said:

Note to the Art Department:  The WWII Kidd actually had a painting of the 'original' Captain Kidd on it's stack. 

That is modeled in the game.

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles

I got the red Jolly Roger flag but I don't remember how.

I not sure Roger was all that jolly. I think he was somewhat melancholy.

[TFLT]
Members
290 posts
13,856 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yeah but it's orange-red in color.  There were classic black ones but they were Ranked rewards.

PCEE012_SeasonFlag02.pngPCEE015_Jolly_Roger_2.pngPCEE049_Jolly_Roger_3.pngPCEE118_Jolly_Roger_4.png

The one below was for the "Talk Like a Pirate Day" event.

PCEE046_Pirate_Day_flag.png

There is one more that for some reason they didn't include in the Wiki page. Personally its the one I like the best. After they discontinued the above flags for a couple of Seasons they had this flag. Not sure why they discontinued that one either. Now they just give you a medallion for Ranking out...which bleh. How often do you even go look at that achievement page? I forget about them until I am poking around in there and see it. One of the biggest reasons I wanted to hit Rank 1 was to get the flag (and combat flags...remember when they used to give you a ton of flags?). I think it was a mistake to remove them. Can't imagine why they did really?1851166272_rankedflags.thumb.png.df2429dd47a0cc3afe0529cd19739e87.png

• Boring 1

[REVY]
Members
2,562 posts
13,808 battles
8 hours ago, Ohiro1 said:

The USS Kidd flew a classic Jolly Roger in WWII, and now, again...in it's latest incarnation!

That picture is literally the USS Kidd, flying a Jolly Roger!   Note to the Art Department:  The WWII Kidd actually had a painting of the 'original' Captain Kidd on it's stack. 

[From the cited article] "The crew of the [first] Kidd ... had also painted the famed buccaneer’s image high on the forward smokestack," according to a 2013 edition of the official newsletter of the current USS Kidd. "

The crew of the original USS Kidd did ask Admiral Kidd's Widow if they could have permission to fly the Jolly Roger as well as Pirate Kidd.
Permission was granted and thus eventually rescued Pilots were 'ransomed' back to their CVs......and USS Kidd became the only DD to have it's own ice cream machine.