Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
S7CentNickel

Haragumo or Minotaur?

20 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
418 posts

Have both unlocked but only enough for one.  Is the Haragumo much different from other Tier 10 DD? (already have Shima, Gearing, Halland, Daring)  I know the Mino isn't great in the current meta, but it does look interesting.  Would like to get one for the SC.

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,044 posts
11,131 battles

Mino is mad fun, high risk, high reward. If you are looking for something different fro what you listed mino is the choice. Don’t have a haru so perhaps I’m bias

Members
54 posts
19,224 battles

I have the Harugumo as well as the Z-52, but can't speak for the Minotaur.  I only really play it during ranked battles since it's expensive to play.  It puts out a firestorm of damage until people shoot back at it.  I've never defeated any of those other DDs you mentioned while using it.  I tend to treat it like a cruiser and not be aggressive with it early in a battle; it shines when there are cripples floating around toward the middle and end of a game.

[-A-8-]
Members
510 posts
20,660 battles

Having both I find I play the Mino a lot more. The Harugumo is OK but it's really a cruiser in disguise. The Mino, while only having AP, is a lot more nimble and benefits from hydro

[PVE]
Members
7,279 posts
23,158 battles
1 hour ago, S7CentNickel said:

Have both unlocked but only enough for one.  Is the Haragumo much different from other Tier 10 DD? (already have Shima, Gearing, Halland, Daring)  I know the Mino isn't great in the current meta, but it does look interesting.  Would like to get one for the SC.

Due to Haragumo not getting the break from AP damage (like the Khaba) it is considered less impressive than the T9 Kitakami despite the extra turret...whereas Mino is the upgrade to the Neptune by a bit (not that Neptune is a bad ship...but Mino is better).

You do have a week to grind (&/or sell stuff for) credits for the other 1 also.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[20CM]
Members
294 posts

This is tough one...how should I say this without offending anyone....ok here we go. Some of my friends like Harugumo, some of my friends like Minotaur, and I agree with my friends!

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[O7]
Supertester
344 posts
13,020 battles

Harugumo plays more like a CL than a DD. Excellent firepower at the cost of maneuverability. If you are good with positioning your smokes, you can farm tons of damage every game. Do not make the mistake of playing Haru like a standard DD. 

Minotaur plays more like a DD than a CL. Very good acceleration, but suffers from AP only ammo and severe citadel issues. She is one of the least forgiving ships in the game, so I do not recommend playing her if you can't dance around shells. 

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

Slimeball nailed it. 

Gumo isn't really any better than Kita in my opinion. You give up agility for that turret. 

Mino is easily the best of its line. I suck in mine but that's on me. It tears up lightly armored boats like few other ships. It has excellent concealment for a cruiser. Excellent AA. Really dangerous torpedos with good range and single fire nastiness. Can carry great smoke or surprise folks with radar. It has a humongous heal. It's easily damaged, handling is quick but fairly bizarre. I think mine is missing reverse gear entirely... Lol.

[PISD]
Members
1,665 posts
5,834 battles
1 hour ago, wildgooseman said:

Having both I find I play the Mino a lot more. The Harugumo is OK but it's really a cruiser in disguise. The Mino, while only having AP, is a lot more nimble and benefits from hydro

Well the Mino is kinda a DD in disguise ;-).

Mino is a beast with radar. Jumping on a DD 1km inside of your radar range is deadly, and you got 16 torps to play the oversized DD.  Less forgiving for sure, but higher skill limit.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
28,780 posts
25,041 battles

The Tier IX-X RNCLs aren't easy boats to play.  I did alright with mine but it's a stressful experience.  I already got that playing Des Moines trying to support the caps.

A good Minotaur player though can do quite a bit, especially if they go Radar Minotaur since almost nobody does that build.  It catches a lot of people by surprise.  Radar Minotaur has a very big Stealth Radar window.  Unlike some of those RU Cruisers that can Stealth Radar, Minotaur's version is the USN / RN version that lasts a long, long time.

If you did well and enjoyed Neptune you should be fine with Minotaur.  Just understand that it never gets easy in Tier X.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[BUOY]
Members
1,128 posts
15,570 battles

You still have 6 days to grind credits. I'd get one, grind credits and then sell off modules and etc. to get the other... because you never know if that next one will have the T9 premium / removed ship in it...

[ARGSY]
Members
22,308 posts
16,251 battles
9 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

especially if they go Radar Minotaur since almost nobody does that build.  It catches a lot of people by surprise.

I had the depressing and dubious privilege of running into one a short while ago in my Yugumo grind. I was all set to do filthy things around a cap, and then along comes that ONE Minotaur driver who both runs radar in Randoms (instead of Clan Battles) and knows how to go about it. I do mentally check the Mino as a potential radar at the beginning of every T8-10 DD game I play, but this time the potential became actual... and my colleagues were either disinclined or not correctly positioned to shoot at him. You can guess that didn't end well. 

I happily ground to the Minotaur, and after a very dubious introductory period I learned to like her. Conversely, I am currently at the Akizuki with no desire to go higher.

Members
709 posts
72 battles
12 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

Mino is very hard to master, but when you do its great ship. Flambass has many great Mino videos on YT. Haru is Nothing like any other T10 DD. Think more like a mini-Smolensk with strongest 12 km IJN torps with reload booster. A ship that can murder all the ships who are supposed to counter it like radarcruisers etc.

• Cool 1

[VAST_]
Members
146 posts
4,592 battles

I'm on Neptune working toward Mino. Stuck at work a lot lately for long hours. What is being referred to re: "only a few more days" to grind? Is some dread change being introduced? :cap_look: I'm out of the loop here lately.

[PSA]
Members
5,113 posts
3,732 battles

Mino is one of the most fun ships I've ever played. The whole RN CL line is. Great concealment, great agility, can stealth torp with a ton of fish, and absolutely embodies Death By A Thousand Cuts. It's very high risk and high reward. Just be aware that the upcoming captain skill changes, as currently written, really hurts these ships as there's no longer a way to upsize your smoke cloud nor reduce it's cooldown, both of which are buffed by Dunkirk.

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,765 posts
5,406 battles

I generally play the mino however it can be deleted any anything bigger at any time. However it erases DD's so fast....

And that Radar. If you are hounded or chased and detected marker in your screen with no apparent cause, turn on radar. Reveal enemy DD. Spam same finished.

And if the enemy team is stupid and forgot about the Mino, you can harvest them for lack of a better term. Just be warned, it may take 10 minutes to kill a BB with the pitiful turrets. SOMETIMES you find that the human driver has had enough of his or her health just evaporating and turn away. Usually torps are on the way by then.

You can get deleted. That hull is the worst in the game. Poof.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,662 posts
10,837 battles
15 hours ago, thebigblue said:

Slimeball nailed it. 

Gumo isn't really any better than Kita in my opinion. You give up agility for that turret. 

Mino is easily the best of its line. I suck in mine but that's on me. It tears up lightly armored boats like few other ships. It has excellent concealment for a cruiser. Excellent AA. Really dangerous torpedos with good range and single fire nastiness. Can carry great smoke or surprise folks with radar. It has a humongous heal. It's easily damaged, handling is quick but fairly bizarre. I think mine is missing reverse gear entirely... Lol.

I dunno - I feel like Leander and Fiji are just as effective as the Mino.  Mind you, my favourite aspect of Mino is being able to single fire vast number of torps...

disclaimer - I'm kinda sucky with Mino.   I can have amazing games, but my experience is that you really need to pick your initial positioning well, and be super vigilant as to the flow of the match.   Step wrong and BAM. 

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
4 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

I dunno - I feel like Leander and Fiji are just as effective as the Mino.  Mind you, my favourite aspect of Mino is being able to single fire vast number of torps...

disclaimer - I'm kinda sucky with Mino.   I can have amazing games, but my experience is that you really need to pick your initial positioning well, and be super vigilant as to the flow of the match.   Step wrong and BAM. 

Agree totally with Fiji. My best boat of the line followed by Neptune. I'm just not clicking with my Mino. My assessment of its prowees isn't personal experience but rather based on years of seeing and being torn up by them. You're spot on with the battle flow awareness requirement. 

As an owner of Gumo I know for sure it's a side grade to Kita.

Edited by thebigblue

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

All I can say is the Haragumo terrifies me.  Don't get wrong, the Mino can be scary too but it doesn't terrify me because the Mino slips up for a second, it can be blapped out of existence.  It is also easier to spot and know where it is at all times.  The Haragumo it terrifying with those 10 guns firing at something like 1 round every just over 2 seconds with captain build and mods.  They also have that oddly special 30mm base pen on their HE which means either with an IFHE build or just a base Demo Expert build, it puts out a terrifying amount of damage.  To be honest though, it probably isn't that much of a change from the Kitakaze in terms of playstyle or fun factor.

The Minotaur on the other hand, is a pretty huge upgrade over the Neptune so I think you would notice a pretty huge fun factor jump by going the Minotaur first.  Honestly that is they way I would probably go just because it would be a nice change of pace from what you have been grinding previously.

Sign in to follow this