You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

ST 0.9.11, Ranked Battles Overhaul

50 comments in this topic

Members
464 posts
20 battles

They overhauled ranked battles - and they didn't get rid of the star system!!!  :Smile_amazed:

The absolute worst thing about ranked are stars, and in particular saving stars on losses.  This is what they need to fix.  Instead they change all the stuff around the crappy system, without actually changing what makes ranked so unpleasant in the first place.

Here's what they should have done.  Give everyone their own personal rating.  If they win, the rating goes up, if they lose it goes down.  The amount it goes up or down is dependent on the average personal rating of your team vs the average personal rating of the enemy team.  Then they can simply have the system be similar to clan battles and have your personal rating put you at a certain rank.  If you reach rank 1, you rank out of the system.

With this system, losing because you were put with a poor team would be much less punishing because you would lose far fewer rating points.  You would no longer have people playing only to save their star and not for the win (and that actually being the smartest way to play the mode, which is even worse).

This is not complicated.  How have they not done this? 

I'm not normally critical of the devs.  I support most of what they do, and really enjoy the game.  They've dropped the ball here though, and made a complete mess of this overhaul by completely missing the point of what needed to be overhauled!

• Cool 13

[BUOY]
Members
1,123 posts
15,507 battles
1 minute ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

No mention of the rewards scale for the different levels...

...more grind for less reward?

Do you really want new players?

TBF, it is a pretty radical overhaul and if they hopefully keep the current Sprint structure regarding # of stars and irrevocable ranks then a LOT more people are gonna rank out even from Gold League.

So imagine instead of the current 'up to 5500 steel and etc.' reward that only goes relatively easily to super unicums and otherwise demands a soul crushing slog of hundreds of games, the Sprint reward of 10k coal is instead converted to 1k steel but with the Sprint structure and continuous seasons that steel is actually reasonably attainable... and it's not like non T10 ranked awards the full 5500 steel anyway.

[TAZ]
Members
831 posts
17 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

They overhauled ranked battles - and they didn't get rid of the star system!!!  :Smile_amazed:

The absolute worst thing about ranked are stars, and in particular saving stars on losses.  This is what they need to fix.  Instead they change all the stuff around the crappy system, without actually changing what makes ranked so unpleasant in the first place.

Here's what they should have done.  Give everyone their own personal rating.  If they win, the rating goes up, if they lose it goes down.  The amount it goes up or down is dependent on the average personal rating of your team vs the average personal rating of the enemy team.  Then they can simply have the system be similar to clan battles and have your personal rating put you at a certain rank.  If you reach rank 1, you rank out of the system.

With this system, losing because you were put with a poor team would be much less punishing because you would lose far fewer rating points.  You would no longer have people playing only to save their star and not for the win (and that actually being the smartest way to play the mode, which is even worse).

I'm not normally critical of the devs.  I support most of what they do, and really enjoy the game.  They've dropped the ball here though, and made a complete mess of this overhaul by completely missing the point of what needed to be overhauled!

This^^^^

Plus what is this qualification stuff, playing and winning is NOT enough, now you have to add a qualification to the mix.    REALLY WG, this is the best you can come up with?  The whole problem with ranked is that it is not an accurate way to play because you can't force people to be responsible members of a team.

• Cool 1

Members
3,354 posts
17,013 battles

I'm not sure how it changes anything at all other than making it more complicated. Ranking is still 100% based on how lucky you are to not have a total potato team. It should be based on skill. The biggest problem is when you get to four stars. That's where most people stop playing. The new system is certainly not going to attract more players or keep others like myself from stopping midway. 

There's a lesson learned about keeping things simple and having them make sense. I'm afraid this is not addressing the problem. 

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,824 battles
23 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

TBF, it is a pretty radical overhaul and if they hopefully keep the current Sprint structure regarding # of stars and irrevocable ranks then a LOT more people are gonna rank out even from Gold League.

So imagine instead of the current 'up to 5500 steel and etc.' reward that only goes relatively easily to super unicums and otherwise demands a soul crushing slog of hundreds of games, the Sprint reward of 10k coal is instead converted to 1k steel but with the Sprint structure and continuous seasons that steel is actually reasonably attainable... and it's not like non T10 ranked awards the full 5500 steel anyway.

Or...they just move the big steel payout to gold league...a pittance to silver, and none at all for Bronze...

• Meh 1

[BUOY]
Members
1,123 posts
15,507 battles
18 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Or...they just move the big steel payout to gold league...a pittance to silver, and none at all for Bronze...

Maybe, but considering they have been moving in a direction of releasing more steel than less such as with the up to 40 per day I'd put my odds on this overhaul giving more steel even for those who do rank out every season thanks to the continuous nature of this.

The big trade off stated (so far) is the loss of the ranked economy flag.

Edited by lloyd1701

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,824 battles
3 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

Maybe, but considering they have been moving in a direction of releasing more steel than less such as with the up to 40 per day I'd put my odds on this overhaul giving more steel even for those who do rank out every season thanks to the continuous nature of this.

The big trade off stated (so far) is the loss of the ranked economy flag.

One can only hope...

...we will have to wait for more data, as always.

[KWF]
Members
5,197 posts
6,659 battles

Lots, lots of questions but I guess it's too early to ask.

What I just hope for, is that 5-6 months from now when this goes live we don't become nostalgic for the current, deeply flawed Ranked system.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,275 battles

The number of players involved in this season of Ranked must have tanked hard!

• Funny 1

[1984]
Members
4,452 posts
21,485 battles

To ensure quality matchmaking, Ranked Battles are not available during periods of low activity

this is extremely bad! If the thing will be limited to usa prme time many players will be unable to participate! Please consider allowing EU, and Australia prime times!

• Cool 1

[KSC]
Members
2,263 posts
13,901 battles
1 hour ago, Moggytwo said:

:Smile_great: This

[--K--]
Members
5,398 posts
18,125 battles

Finally WG is doing something about Rank....Reads Dev Blog....:Smile_sceptic:

You're Keeping the Star System, the progression system that is one of the major reasons Rank is a garbage game mode? Oh and you're making Rank more grindy? 

OEFxDWK.gif

WG, thank you for FINALLY deciding to restructure Rank. But this proposal doesn't give me a lot of hope in your understanding of Rank or why people are not playing it any more. 

So I applaud your effort to make changes but the Star Progression system that relies on a player getting lucky with a team not being a bunch of potatoes or having skills to 1v7 an enemy team Needs to be Dev Struck. Go back to your drawing board and try again. 

Here are some tips;

The Current Star Progression System is BAD. 

7v7 or 3v3 or 1v1 SAME Tier Battles are Good. 

More Grind IS BAD.

• Cool 5

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,309 posts

So, creating a Byzantine nightmare without addressing the actual issues that make ranked unpopular is your solution? Yes, I am sure this will work well. Now try adding screen doors for the submarines. 

• Haha 1

[WOLF6]
Members
201 posts
8,530 battles

Oh boy... after reading that I was excited up until the whole star system thing still being included. I also have this bad feeling that this new format will get rid of irrevocable ranks while progressing through the sprint towards qualification. I guess we will see soon enough.

Members
1,757 posts
11,714 battles
6 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

People have been asking for something like this for years so of course they're not going to do it. That's how it works, they listen to our feedback then do the opposite.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,565 posts
20,981 battles
  1. Ranked and Clan Battles are now going to compete for the same primetime slots. WHY?? It was already hard enough to do both, now we can't even do Ranked during the off hours!
  2. Sprints, which were the most fun mode in the game, are going away. AGAIN WHY?? You said 1v1, 3v3, and so on are moving into Brawls now, but Ranked Sprint also allowed for divs so we didn't have to go it alone... that was one of its best features, and now we won't have it.
  3. A lot of important information is missing about league structure.
    • Do the stars per rank go up in every league? Is Gold League going to take 5 stars x 10 ranks?!?!
    • Are tiers also going up in every league? Is Gold League going to be stuck with Tier X over and over again? Not cool if so.
  4. Credit where credit is due for getting rid of the "Rank 5 bottleneck" where not enough people are in the 5-2 bracket to spawn games for the first week or so of every season.
  • Cool 1

Members
1,171 posts
  • The mechanics of ranks and stars remain unchanged.

So basically nothing has changed.  Why bother?

"Overhaul" lmbo

Edited by n00bot

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,734 posts
7,251 battles

My Take FWIIW... so many will  gripe about this, as this crowd  always does,  about absolutely everything.  but a very viable alternative to random's has just been put forward...  Those hollering about skill based(???) MM just got the closest thing to it we've ever had and with the considerably increased frequency,  should give a more competitive game mode to standard randoms?   I think this sounds pretty good at its core?  Obviously there's still a lot of details to be considered.     

• Cool 1