You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_djv4ZCNmZ56F

Thunderer: A different approach

27 comments in this topic

Members
648 posts

My usual approach to playing BB is getting cruiser kills as soon as possible in order to give my team a DPM advantage and give my DDs some breathing room. To that end, I have always used AP predominately in my Thunderer unless I am engaging another BB.  Last night, I decided to try a different approach. It was a match with 3 bbs, 2 cruisers, 3 dds per side, so I decided to focus on HE spam to drive the enemy BBs away from the caps. Worked like a charm. I stayed back and burned their BBs. The kremlin stayed at the cap and went down, the Ohio and Kurfurst turned away, leaving the cap contested by a lone Harugumo. When Haru got spotted I blapped for 8k dmg. 

We won on points by achieving cap control. Ended match with 200k dmg and 16 fires. 

Im going to try to mix in more HE in the future as much for damage as for intimidating enemy BBs away from caps to leave cruisers and DDs unsupported. Thoughts?

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,197 posts

I don't have Thunderer but I watched a video on it and it has (I believe) a 63% fire chance? ... and, of course, super accurate guns from long distance.

Play it's strengths ...

• Cool 2

Members
3,354 posts
17,120 battles
34 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

I don't have Thunderer but I watched a video on it and it has (I believe) a 63% fire chance? ... and, of course, super accurate guns from long distance.

Play it's strengths ...

Does it have a higher fire chance than Conqueror at around 43% fire chance?   I doubt it

[1CVDV]
Members
235 posts
11,867 battles

no I just got thunder the dragon myself and yes it is 63% and with flags 65%.so yeah you can definitely burn some sh*t down to the waterline.and its he will citadel broadside cruisers....she has biiiiiggg guns...

[DRAC0]
Members
21 posts
2,000 battles
27 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Does it have a higher fire chance than Conqueror at around 43% fire chance?   I doubt it

Yes, a 20% higher chance.  Base is 63%.

Members
3,664 posts
42,517 battles
1 hour ago, mrieder79 said:

My usual approach to playing BB is getting cruiser kills as soon as possible in order to give my team a DPM advantage and give my DDs some breathing room. To that end, I have always used AP predominately in my Thunderer unless I am engaging another BB.  Last night, I decided to try a different approach. It was a match with 3 bbs, 2 cruisers, 3 dds per side, so I decided to focus on HE spam to drive the enemy BBs away from the caps. Worked like a charm. I stayed back and burned their BBs. The kremlin stayed at the cap and went down, the Ohio and Kurfurst turned away, leaving the cap contested by a lone Harugumo. When Haru got spotted I blapped for 8k dmg. 

We won on points by achieving cap control. Ended match with 200k dmg and 16 fires. 

Im going to try to mix in more HE in the future as much for damage as for intimidating enemy BBs away from caps to leave cruisers and DDs unsupported. Thoughts?

Well HE is also effective hitting cruisers from the side. You sometimes get citadels or destroy a lot of modules.

If you can competently shoot from distance and burn BBs down while taking the cap this way then you are way ahead of the game.

However, having said that, try not to overlook the AP. It's devastating in the right situation.

The tactic seems sound. If it keeps working, then hope nobody doesn't try to stop you. Usually, if a player remembered what you did last time, they will just tell their red team mates to take you down first.

Oddly, this has been the case when the game was young or a red team player would look up stats. And by using that data, the red team would remove the biggest threat first.

My advice is to keep the tactic as your primary option since it's successful, but be well prepared to use plans B and C. It's always a good idea to have backup plans. Varying your tactics makes you vastly unpredictable and most opponents hate that. 

Apply tactics based on threat assessment and you will be very successful. Assessment based on fleet makeup rather than skill based stats.

Because even the best players are caught in the wrong place to be effective. And ridding them of team support often puts more pressure on them. 

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
2 hours ago, mrieder79 said:

Had to be random match. If it was coop the destroyers would have rammed each other in 60 seconds and the battleships would have turned broadside and stopped. You wouldn't have gotten 200k because the match would have ended in 4 minutes. Good random match man!

[SRBL]
Members
534 posts
13,442 battles

I HE spam at distance and try to set as many people on fire, I have a 70% win rate with an average XP of 2,300. It prints Witherer, Confederate and High Caliber awards. 

• Cool 1

Members
3,354 posts
17,120 battles
45 minutes ago, Saxon29 said:

no I just got thunder the dragon myself and yes it is 63% and with flags 65%.so yeah you can definitely burn some sh*t down to the waterline.and its he will citadel broadside cruisers....she has biiiiiggg guns...

Really?  I've been playing both Conqueror and Thunderer but assumed they have the same fire chance since they are practically the same ship. 

Members
3,354 posts
17,120 battles
17 minutes ago, Tom_Greg said:

I HE spam at distance and try to set as many people on fire, I have a 70% win rate with an average XP of 2,300. It prints Witherer, Confederate and High Caliber awards. 

Replace your commander with Andrew Cunningham  and expect it to get even better

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,747 battles
3 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Really?  I've been playing both Conqueror and Thunderer but assumed they have the same fire chance since they are practically the same ship. 

Nope. And Thunderer AP is god tier. You can cit Yammies out to 19 kms, Monty and Thunderer past that. Never mind the devastation you can wreak on cruisers. 

[SALVO]
Members
2,704 posts
6,797 battles

I don't want to promote endless HE spam from BBs but what you are describing is exactly what should be done with the thunderer.  Recently a buddy of mine brought it a few times in our div  with me being the DD. The Thunderer is absolutely excellent at putting down enormous pressure on the enemy in this manner. 

[SRBL]
Members
534 posts
13,442 battles
Just now, STINKWEED_ said:

Replace your commander with Andrew Cunningham  and expect it to get even better

He's in Daring right now for Ranked. If this captain respec comes in as expected I'll have him set up for both since I run SE and RDF on him. 

[1CVDV]
Members
235 posts
11,867 battles

yeah I just got thunderer a few days ago.i feel generally wg gives a tad extra rng on first outings but I did a co-op for the quick sc and did 135k in damage in a co-op I thought that pretty good results.the sc wasn't worth a sh*t,but im not going to whine about it.i don't remember but I believe had 2 maybe 3 citadels.

[1CVDV]
Members
235 posts
11,867 battles

once you get the aiming right,like they say on forged in fire:"this boat will kill".lol

• Funny 1

[DRAC0]
Members
21 posts
2,000 battles
37 minutes ago, Saxon29 said:

once you get the aiming right,like they say on forged in fire:"this boat will kill".lol

100%.  I think I had a 160k game first round in it.  The guns really are just flat out amazing... 200k without using a single AP volley isn't out of the question.

[UNC]
Members
852 posts
6,196 battles

Honestly for me, Thundy's AP is where she really shines... But mostly because many players don't expect it.  They see a Thundy and just assume it will be shooting HE for that ridiculous fire chance.  I have so many reds show me their side its not even funny.  If you can anticipate those turns and have AP loaded you will ruin their day in a hurry.  Thundy is just great either way, but if you can manage your shell selection it is almost broken levels of good.

0 posts
21 hours ago, thebigblue said:

Had to be random match. If it was coop the destroyers would have rammed each other in 60 seconds and the battleships would have turned broadside and stopped. You wouldn't have gotten 200k because the match would have ended in 4 minutes. Good random match man!

Was actually a ranked match, which made the 200k win even nicer. 

[WOLFG]
Members
31,378 posts
9,655 battles
On 9/23/2020 at 10:25 AM, eviltane said:

I don't want to promote endless HE spam from BBs but what you are describing is exactly what should be done with the thunderer.  Recently a buddy of mine brought it a few times in our div  with me being the DD. The Thunderer is absolutely excellent at putting down enormous pressure on the enemy in this manner. 

If you don't use any AP though, you're missing out.

This is probably the first BB I've played where I actually feel that EL is necessary, instead of a dump skill.

I'm the opposite of the OP. I started out HE spamming, and am trying to use more AP, because it's fantastic. Especially for punishing far away broadside ships that aren't paying attention.

Just imagine Georgia with 2 more guns, cruiser dispersion, and 4 more km of fully usable range.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,378 posts
9,655 battles
On 9/23/2020 at 11:16 AM, Jeebu said:

100%.  I think I had a 160k game first round in it.  The guns really are just flat out amazing... 200k without using a single AP volley isn't out of the question.

Same here. I don't use AP for more damage in general, but because, depending on circumstances, I can do more damage right now.

[DRAC0]
Members
21 posts
2,000 battles
On 9/24/2020 at 5:11 PM, Skpstr said:

Same here. I don't use AP for more damage in general, but because, depending on circumstances, I can do more damage right now.

No doubt about it.  Especially with the quick reload, you can fire off a 10k salvo of HE, start a fire, and still have time to switch over to AP and cit the bejeezus out of anything broadside.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,327 posts
5,810 battles
On 9/23/2020 at 7:51 AM, DocWalker said:

Play it's strengths ...

63% base, reduced to 31.5% against other Tier Xs.  Ships have an innate fire resistance and the higher tier they are the higher that innate resistance is, up to 50% at Tier X.

On 9/23/2020 at 8:26 AM, STINKWEED_ said:

Thunderer has 457mm guns and they have a higher fire chance per shell, but Conqueror fires 50% more shells.  When Conqueror had the 457s as a option they had a 63% fire chance as well.  This isn't new.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,844 posts
25,079 battles
On 9/23/2020 at 7:24 AM, Taichunger said:

Nope. And Thunderer AP is god tier. You can cit Yammies out to 19 kms, Monty and Thunderer past that. Never mind the devastation you can wreak on cruisers. 

457mm AP has definite power but this size AP just demolishes Cruisers.  There's a bunch of Cruisers in Tier X with 30mm deck and upper belts.  A savvy player could use that to angle and tank against anything under 430mm AP.  But 430mm+ just crushes it.

Thunderer goes above and beyond the current stock of 430mm-457mm armed Battleships because of her accuracy, reload, rifle count.  The others have some deficiency or just isn't up to par with Thunderer.

- Georgia has gimmicked up, real nice gunnery.  Reload is good, power is good.  The problem is 6 rifles still leave plenty of room for RNG to screw her over.

- Kremlin is monstrous but gunnery at range can be off.  Not to mention she's been getting some nerfs of late.

- Republique has a decent rifle count and she shoots very fast.  Still has the same benefits Overmatching Cruisers as the 457mm Big Boys despite "only" having 430mm guns.  But the one bad thing she has is FR BB accuracy, which is now the worst BB dispersion in the game.  Not even the Germans are there anymore, just the French.

* Upcoming Vermont has massive firepower but her Sigma isn't good and the reload is punishingly long.

- Ohio IMO is the closest rival of these ships to Thunderer.  But in terms of gunnery, Thunderer >>> Ohio.  When these two ships were WiP together, at first, Thunderer sucked and Ohio was Godly OP.  Late in their WiP phase, WG swapped their gunnery around.  Ohio got Thunderer's / Old 457-Conqueror gunnery while Thunderer got Ohio's Godly Gunnery.  For those not familiar, the reason WG did this was Ohio was better rounded in armor, Mega Secondaries that Thunderer didn't have.  So giving Ohio God Tier Gunnery would have been totally unbalancing.  She still is good, but not quite the pure gunner Thunderer is.

A comparison of the Conqueror 419mm AP vs Thunderer 457mm AP.  Shell flight characteristics are pretty close and in terms of Penetration, the 419mm isn't that far off. 

qwG8fSe.jpg

But the size of the 457mm shell gives Overmatch benefits as stated earlier.  A Des Moines, Hindenburg, even a Zao can angle and bounce for a while that 419mm AP by using their 30mm deck and upper belt armor.  Risky, but doable.  But if those same Cruisers try that against a 457mm armed Battleship, they're going to get rocked.

Hard.

With Overmatch there are zero bounce checks, so those Cruisers are getting crushed.

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,370 posts
10,281 battles
On 9/23/2020 at 7:53 AM, mrieder79 said:

You should only be switching to AP when you know you'll get a broadside shot on a BB or cruiser. Thunderer has great AP and great accuracy (better than Yamato).

However its HE is king and lord. Why fire AP which probably will do mostly overpen plus ~4k total damage on a regular pen when you can lob HE for 5k-12k depending where it lands AND damn good chance of setting fires?

I have the range mod on mine. At battle start I fire one turret at every target that pops up. I keep doing this until the battle gets to medium ranges and then I swing to the rear and start focusing on individual ships. The initial single-turret-per-target is to start setting fires on multiple ships.. it helps your team big time by having them burn off HP or have to use a damage control to remove it. Most of the time the targets will remain visible and you can see when they use the damage control ..and thats when you give them a full salvo which usually lands 2 fires on them. Thats a lot of damage.

Thunderer and Conqueror are the only true counters to soviet bias BBs and cruisers at tier 10. They cannot code in anti-HE and anti-fire code to help them...and its fantastic to see them whine and cry about you keeping them lit and killing them before they can get to pushing at close range. :)

• Cool 1