Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Spiciest_Wolf

Waste of time and effort

42 comments in this topic

Banned
18 posts
1,521 battles

So, three/four days of playing, and the vast majority of matches sees me being the only real person playing on my 'Team', the rest idiotic and suicidal bots that either swarm and win the match before I can earn anything of value, OR swarm and lose the match before I can earn anything of value.

The absolute worse and most insulting?

All the matches where 'I' am literally the only real person playing the match, all the rest (teammates and enemy fleet), are idiotic bots.

So I quit two of these utter waste of my time and effort matches, in a row,,,,

only to be handed a punitve 'Co-op ONLY Matches', x 18?

You're seriously trying to prevent people from playing your game, aren't you WG'ing?

I've never seen this degree of stupidity and laziness from an MMO.

How many years have you been online now?

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,768 posts
20,220 battles

Somebody didn't get the message about protected newbie MM until he reaches a more appropriate number of battles played ...

If you quit battles and give up this easily I'm sure we didn't need you playing with people anyways.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,811 battles

If you quit a match already in progress for 25% of the length you will be penalized. Though, if you got 18 orange games, that sounds oddly high. You sure that's all you did? I've only ever seen 3 pink matches before.

[WORX]
Members
11,915 posts
19,462 battles
56 minutes ago, Spiciest_Wolf said:

only to be handed a punitve 'Co-op ONLY Matches', x 18

From a statistics POV in human behavior (mainly yours), is informing me in giant letters and in all caps... This ^^ is not the case...

If you're telling us the game gave you 9 games Co-op purgatory for just 2 games of leaving early?I say not possible under the current automatic system...

Now if you decide to withhold your misdeeds from us, that is your prerogative. The automated system has a %98 conviction rate to CO-op purgatory.

If I were a betting man or a man of numbers... Based on what I noted above, where do you think I would place my beats ???

Edited by Navalpride33

Members
3,643 posts
42,248 battles
21 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

From a statistics POV in human behavior (mainly yours), is informing me in giant letters and in all caps... This ^^ is not the case...

If you're telling us the game gave you 9 games Co-op purgatory for just 2 games of leaving early?I say not possible under the current automatic system...

Now if you decide to withhold your misdeeds from us, that is your prerogative. The automated system has a %98 conviction rate to CO-op purgatory.

If I were a beating man or a man of numbers... Based on what I noted above, where do you think I would place my beats ???

Beating man? I say 4/4 time and Michael Jackson's "Beat it".

As for what happened to OP. <200 battles. I am not sure they understand the game or the punitive system.🤔

OP, refer to several videos of the game play TK system and also the MM system for new players.🕵️

It seems you were not properly briefed. Then again, I hear some players play commando.😏 

I will neither confirm nor deny that I do the practice myself. 😏

I am stuck at work 👨🏻‍🔧😷

Day shift sucks when you are used to working graveyard for the past 14 years.

😪🧛🏻‍♂️🦇⚰️

[WORX]
Members
11,915 posts
19,462 battles
2 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Beating man? I say 4/4 time and Michael Jackson's "Beat it".

😪🧛🏻‍♂️🦇⚰️

Good catch, typo...It should be "betting" not "beating." Edited and fixed.

I suggest "eat it" from Weird Al Yankovic. Parody songs are fun too.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
496 posts
22,638 battles

OP, make lemonade out of the lemons.  It is true, a player never knows if his bot teammates are unicoms or potatoes.  But assume they are potatoes, and start the match playing conservatively.  If the green bots are good, it's true you will earn very little xp.  But if they are potatoes, then you have a chance to carry the match and earn really good xp as you have saved your hp and are in a position to carry the match for your AI teammates.  This is also a good barometer as to how you will do later when you are playing against experienced humans.

I love it when I'm the only human on the team in a co-op match.  Good luck and most importantly have fun!

Members
3,643 posts
42,248 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

Good catch, typo...It should be "betting" not "beating." Edited and fixed.

I suggest "eat it" from Weird Al Yankovic. Parody songs are fun too.

Wierd Al is a genius. And every artist he did a parody loved him for it.

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
643 posts
5,664 battles
2 hours ago, Spiciest_Wolf said:

So, three/four days of playing, and the vast majority of matches sees me being the only real person playing on my 'Team', the rest idiotic and suicidal bots that either swarm and win the match before I can earn anything of value, OR swarm and lose the match before I can earn anything of value.

All the matches where 'I' am literally the only real person playing the match, all the rest (teammates and enemy fleet), are idiotic bots.

You're seriously trying to prevent people from playing your game, aren't you WG'ing?

Laziness. Interesting. You found the forums. Try the Wiki. It will explain the things you are complaining about. Or don't. 

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,082 battles
3 hours ago, Spiciest_Wolf said:

My, my, my! Pouty, pouty, pout! 5 years, enjoyed every minute of it so much that I have started over 5 times. I now enjoy it 6 times as much.

Go ahead and give up if you want rather than try to understand the game.

I am sure you will be missed! 

NOT!

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

Hey man, this game is an exercise in futility much of the time. Sort of like having discussion on this forum... AM I RIGHT fellas? Lol.

If you don't LOVE the small niche, warships from 20th century, then you won't have the stamina required to grind through some bad ships, endure the torturous MM shenanigans and play around some difficult game mechanics very long.

On the other hand. If you can just "shut up and color" the rest of your way through wows basic-training you might find the game to be something you really enjoy.

Good luck!

Edited by thebigblue

[BGSSC]
[BGSSC]
Members
2,630 posts
10,667 battles
3 hours ago, Spiciest_Wolf said:

First off, welcome to the game.  It is generally a good game with lots of stuff to learn if you want to get good.

Players get out of the lower tiers so fast these days, and when you factor in protected matchmaking for new players, they often find themselves as the only ones playing there when they first start playing the game.  That means you have to put up with the bots which may or may not provide much help.  However, they are often predictable.  Use it to your advantage.

If you quit any match before you die, you are considered AFK (Away From the Keyboard), and will be penalized for it.  It is the games way of preventing players from starting a game and then quitting if they don't like the match-up.  The same happens if you damage team mates.  The penalties are cumulative and generally don't mean much if you only do it a couple of times within a set time frame.  The first time it happens, you get pink status for 2 games.  The second time it happens, you get pink status for 3? games.  Each time it goes up a bit.  If you have an emergency or if your computer crashes, one or two afks won't do anything other than turn you pink.  If you keep accumulating AFKs or team damage, the game will transition you to orange status where you will only have access to co-op games until you play "accident free" for the required number of games.  

Since this is a "team" game, and I use that term loosely, quitting affects your team.  Don't do it.  Use the undesirable match-up as a learning tool.  You will also earn much more XP and credits playing the game than from being afk.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,100 posts
10,330 battles
4 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

If you quit a match already in progress for 25% of the length you will be penalized. Though, if you got 18 orange games, that sounds oddly high. You sure that's all you did? I've only ever seen 3 pink matches before.

Man, you have to work to get 18 games orange.

No, I've never done it, but there have been some stories around here.

[CHBK]
Members
1,041 posts
3,938 battles

Well, this is a welcome breath of fresh air from "everyone must be cheating because Im so bad".

To explain this OP, T1-T4 doesn't really have a huge player population.  WG can't force people to play those tiers.  So they often get filled with bots.

Considering your stats in T5 took a nose dive from how you were doing in T1-T4.  I'm going to go ahead and assume you are facing players at T5.

Edited by Taco_De_Moist

[1CVDV]
Members
233 posts
11,825 battles

my only input on this is,you have to crawl before you can run my little newbie commander!fighting bots in co-op is a breeze and sometime a much welcome break from playing with over-bearing people in randoms....you will see my friend,that is if you stop quiting...

Banned
18 posts
1,521 battles
7 hours ago, Mudd_H_F__XX said:

My, my, my! Pouty, pouty, pout! 5 years, enjoyed every minute of it so much that I have started over 5 times. I now enjoy it 6 times as much.

Go ahead and give up if you want rather than try to understand the game.

I am sure you will be missed! 

NOT!

The idiots are easily amused.
Take your bows darlin.

• Haha 1

Banned
18 posts
1,521 battles
4 hours ago, Taco_De_Moist said:

Well, this is a welcome breath of fresh air from "everyone must be cheating because Im so bad".

To explain this OP, T1-T4 doesn't really have a huge player population.  WG can't force people to play those tiers.  So they often get filled with bots.

Considering your stats in T5 took a nose dive from how you were doing in T1-T4.  I'm going to go ahead and assume you are facing players at T5.

Where did I say a damned thing about 'Cheating'?
Other than, of course, all these lovely little basement dwelling [edited][edited] IN Co-Op Gulag matches, that seem to enjoy firing on me becuase WG'ing put me in that lovely pink street-hooker dress, and cannot shoot back in self defense?
Reading through the replies has convinced me of something-
Far too many gullible and [edited]-kissing players choose to ignore or actively support stupid gaming mechanics, while offering nothing of value except insults.
Great way to attract and keep new players, all.

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,640 posts
12,047 battles

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics_(WoWS)#Low-Tier_.28I-V.29_Matchmaking_for_Random_Battles

The Matchmaker for NewcomersEdit

A newcomer is a player who has played at most 200 battles. World of Warships has a special queue for newcomers entering Random battle so they gain experience before moving on to general Random Battles. If any newcomers decide they are ready to fight with experienced players, they will be able to do that by playing Tier V+ ships:

• When playing a ship of Tier I–IV, a newcomer is put into the special queue for newcomers only.
  • When playing a ship of Tier V or higher, a newcomer is put into the general Random queue.
  • Players who have played more than 200 battles will always be placed in the general Random queue.
  • If the waiting time spent by the first player in the queue exceeds 3 minutes, battles are possible where there is only one live player mirrored by a bot. In this case, the rest of the player’s team will be filled out with bots, and the opposing team will also be filled with bots, mirroring the player’s team in terms of ship tiers and types.
  • A Division can be placed in the queue for newcomers only if all members meet the requirements above (not more than 200 battles, Tier I-IV ship).

[SVEN]
Beta Testers
225 posts
7,026 battles
6 minutes ago, Spiciest_Wolf said:

Other than, of course, all these lovely little basement dwelling [edited][edited] IN Co-Op Gulag matches, that seem to enjoy firing on me becuase WG'ing put me in that lovely pink street-hooker dress, and cannot shoot back in self defense?
Far too many gullible and [edited]-kissing players choose to ignore or actively support stupid gaming mechanics, while offering nothing of value except insults.

Sounds like you haven't learned anything.

You come onto the forums to complain about something you don't understand in the first place.  Fair enough.  However, when it is explained to you why it is the way it is and you are directed towards resources that can only benefit you and your play, you don't like the answers and attack those people who are replying to you.  And somehow we are the one's at fault for all of this?  Your logic escapes me.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,234 posts
9,589 battles
20 minutes ago, Spiciest_Wolf said:

You didn't.

He said that your post was a breath of fresh air because it wasn't about cheating, which is a common complaint from mew players.

A lot of forum dwellers are jaded, because it's the same complaints, all the time.

If you like the idea of the game, keep at it. Once you've either played the requisite amount of games and/or reached the requisite tier, (I don't know the specifics, they didn't have this when I started in OBT) all your matches (except T4 and under sometimes) will be without bots.

As I said, they didn't have any "newbie protection", or bots in low-tier games. But at that time, there were plenty of players queuing up for low-tier games, and there were very few "veterans" to seal club the newbies.

Now, it's a lot quicker to get out of low tiers, so relatively few play it. The bots are needed so that new players being protected don't have to spend more time in queue waiting for enough other newbies to start a game, than actually playing the game.

The "newbie protection" itself was deemed necessary because the veterans began to outnumber the newbies.

As far as being penalised for leaving, well, it puts your team down a ship, and enough people leave matches because they don't like the teams, that a deterrent was necessary.

As far as attitude, you generally get what you give around here. You start a vitriolic rant, you're going to get flamed. Ask questions and act respectable, you'll get polite answers. (ok, some will still flame you, but every village/forum has its idiots lol)

Just calm down, and figure out what you need to do to get into the actual game.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,234 posts
9,589 battles
15 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

Players who have played more than 200 battles will always be placed in the general Random queue.

Do you know if that's 200 battles total, or 200 Random battles?

[WOLFG]
Members
31,234 posts
9,589 battles
14 minutes ago, utgotye said:

Sounds like you haven't learned anything.

You come onto the forums to complain about something you don't understand in the first place.  Fair enough.  However, when it is explained to you why it is the way it is and you are directed towards resources that can only benefit you and your play, you don't like the answers and attack those people who are replying to you.  And somehow we are the one's at fault for all of this?  Your logic escapes me.

To be fair, we've had people start out like this, and mellow out with experience.

For example, I remember that @Col_Nasty was quite salty when he first began foruming, now he's just crusty! :Smile_trollface:

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,640 posts
12,047 battles
6 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I don't know, and I don't think I have the requisite sanity to find out. :cap_fainting:

[FML]
Members
4,118 posts
16,057 battles
11 hours ago, Spiciest_Wolf said:

Hi, welcome to WoWS. 

As you are still in newbie protection, the game hasn’t thrown you into the deep end yet against more experienced players. This is a great opportunity to get more familiar with the game. 

I have copied some information below that may be of interest if you would like to improve. But, like all games, you’ll need some resilience as you learn and you shouldn’t be expecting to win every battle. And don’t quit partway through, ever, because that screws your teammates.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

For new players, I recommend the following nations and tech tree branches as easy to learn and to play: 

• Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Light Cruiser line (ending in Minotaur) - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships: 
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
    • French: Low tier these ships arent anything special; however, by mid tier they become multi-barrelled shotguns and by T8+ they become (less armoured) speed demons - a truly varied line that might help you determine what kind of ship you like playing. I found them fun.  
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at.  However, as a general principle Royal Navy carriers are easier to play but less impactful on the battle - seek out enemy ships that have just used DCP in order to set lots of fires that stick.  USN carriers are the most traditional and grasping these will transfer to other nations' carriers - they are a bit tricker to play but have more impact on the battle than Royal Navy carriers.  Japanese carriers do far more direct damage with their AP bombs and heavier torpedo plane squadrons, but they are harder to play and you need to understand AP bomb pen mechanics and search for citadels. German carriers are quite different, are the hardest to play and require a skilled hand as they are unlike the others.  See iChase's video guide to get a grasp of the basics of CV play.  Also, TopTier's example shows how to play low tier carriers well - in particular, where you should drive your carrier to stay alive. 

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

• How to set up your game client to get the information you need to win: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSCb96CLCs4
  • (For brand New Players - a full comprehensive guide) iChase's How to get good at World of Warships - I wish this was around when I started!
  • (For New Players) - Wargaming's 'How It Works' series that explains the game's mechanics - important to learn these as it differs to real life.
  • (For New Players looking to become Intermediate) my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide to understand how to get the best out of your ship every battle and how to deal with enemy ships of the same type. 
  • (For Intermediate players) LittleWhiteMouse's guide to How to take control of your win rate:  https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/75077-how-to-control-your-win-rate/
  • For players at any level who are interested in personalised feedback on a particular battle, get in touch with Lord_Zath and his replay centre - its an amazing service that you should take advantage of.  
  • You are under absolutely no obligation to spend money on this game - it is entirely free to play including at high tiers. 
    • Understanding the economics of WoWS and tips for playing as free-to-play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDgwH2w-k7U
    • Still, if you are interested in buying a premium ship, a discussion on what premium ships are good value for newer players can be found on my New Player Guide Premium Ships for New Players.
      • The second post in this thread has some good advice on how to rapidly become a better player through teamwork and positioning - see Section 3 - its worth a read!

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,133 posts
4,766 battles
9 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

All modes.

2 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

As you are still in newbie protection,

He was, but he's not any more.

Edited by iDuckman

Sign in to follow this