Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

Protecting DD Engines

14 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

I don't play a lot of DDs, but when I do I normally max out engine protection with both Engine Room Protection and Last Stand. I should add that I mostly play stealthy IJN DDs with long torp ranges and not the gunboats.

A month or two ago I purchased the Asashio and due to a skill shortage had to choose between the two instead of taking both. I went with Engine Room Protection and passed on Last Stand for the first time ever.

As you might have guessed, the engine now gets knocked out every third game or so. 

So I'm asking myself if ERP is worth the slot it takes up.  Sadly the only other option for that slot is DCS Mod 1.

BTW, I went with Exp Marksman in place of Last Stand in order to improve my knifefighting ability.

You guys got any ideas?

[WMD]
Members
1,779 posts
10,120 battles

I'd drop EM , and go back to LS. You'll never make an IJN torp boat a great knife fighter, but you can run away and use the rear turrets to hurt anything that pushes you. 

I also try to drive my IJN boats a bit like Warspite, I turn the ship to put my guns on target rather than turn to turret, or as I normally say it to my div mates; I drive the ship around the guns, not the guns around the ship. 

Edited by VeatherVitch
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,592 posts
14,320 battles
10 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I don't play a lot of DDs, but when I do I normally max out engine protection with both Engine Room Protection and Last Stand. I should add that I mostly play stealthy IJN DDs with long torp ranges and not the gunboats.

A month or two ago I purchased the Asashio and due to a skill shortage had to choose between the two instead of taking both. I went with Engine Room Protection and passed on Last Stand for the first time ever.

As you might have guessed, the engine now gets knocked out every third game or so. 

So I'm asking myself if ERP is worth the slot it takes up.  Sadly the only other option for that slot is DCS Mod 1.

BTW, I went with Exp Marksman in place of Last Stand in order to improve my knifefighting ability.

You guys got any ideas?

My #1 Rule on DD Captain builds is NEVER LEAVE PORT WITHOUT LAST STAND SKILL!!! Lol your engines or steering are going to get knocked out in battles it’s not a question of if, but instead how often. I actually have advised new players that if you only had a 3 point captain to use on a DD you pick a 1 point skill, then add Last Stand after that. Because having 50% speed and steering gear use when hit is a whole lot better than a totally jammed rudder or being dead in the water.

I also use Last Stand on case by case basis on CAs as well. Like oddly enough my Graf Spee will take engine or steering hits just often enough fir me to have LS onboard as well as a few other ships. But then my higher tier CAs do not usually need the skill.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
7,284 posts
23,174 battles

5.4 detection & he specs for knife fights...:Smile_amazed:

Might as well take gun range mod on the Shima...:Smile_izmena:

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,660 posts
12,069 battles

Go for Last Stand. For knife fights, steer your boat and fire when your guns bear. Should be faced at an angle away from the enemy so your rear arcs are clear.

[KIA-C]
Members
3,580 posts
15,792 battles

IJN DD aren't supposed to knife fight to begin with.

Yes you take LS but you don't need EM. That doesn't mean you should never use your guns, that just means you take fight while having your rear pointed at the enemy ship.

The main IJN DD line has the best concealment of all DD as well as 66% of their firepower located at the rear. It should give you a hint about how you should pick your engagement.

Edited by AlcatrazNC

Members
465 posts
20 battles

I'd take LS on Asashio.  She's pretty good at counter-DD stuff so long as you pick your battles so you have more and closer friends - her concealment allows you to do that.

Having said that, there are a heap of DD's I don't take LS on.  Most fast gunboats don't need it, and instead i take ERP in slot 2, and the Preventative Maintenance captain skill (preferably with a captain that has the bonus to that skill).  This significantly reduces the amount of times you will get your engine or rudder knocked out.  I have played hundreds of battles recently in various DD's without LS, and I don't recall it ever getting me killed.

In general, if you have a gunboat that you want to use regularly for cap contesting and knife fighting, I would use a standard gunboat build.  This is 1 - PT, 2 - AR/LS, 3 - SE/BFT, 4 - AFT/CE.  If you want to use your gunboat as a second line ship (so a km or two behind where you'd play a knife fighting DD), then the best choice is to go a pure gunboat build.  This is 1 - PM, 2 - AR, 3 - SE/BFT/SI/DE, 4 - AFT.  You also should use ERP1 in slot 2.  This build basically drops LS and CE for SI and DE.  I use this on ships like Z-52, Friesland, Tashkent, Udaloi, etc, and it is a far more effective build for these ships. 

[RKLES]
Members
12,592 posts
14,320 battles
3 hours ago, BarnacleCollector said:

Does anyone know how much Preventive Maintenance actually helps a destroyer? I'm thinking of switching from it to Priority Target so I can do some shooting in the open.

Well considering how thinly armored or even unarmored DD modules are. I consider Preventative Maintenance to be a very good idea on DDs.

Members
503 posts
209 battles
8 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

You guys got any ideas?

If you're taking stealth IJN DD's and getting hit... you're doing it wrong.

Members
0 posts

I love when I meet a DD who doesn't have last stand. Break engine, repair, break again, dead DD. Stuff breaks a lot at high tiers where all the ships are super powerful. Get yourself radared or hard spotted and junk is going to start breaking in a hurry. The great thing about LS is that when you get radared, and your engine gets broken, you can still coast at a decent clip, that way when radar runs out, you repair and get out of there.

Edited by mrieder79

[WMD]
Members
1,779 posts
10,120 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Well considering how thinly armored or even unarmored DD modules are. I consider Preventative Maintenance to be a very good idea on DDs.

I take PM over PT on most of my DDs, I just assume all 12 enemies are shooting at me any time I'm spotted. 

[-TKS-]
Members
271 posts
9,087 battles
7 hours ago, BarnacleCollector said:

Does anyone know how much Preventive Maintenance actually helps a destroyer? I'm thinking of switching from it to Priority Target so I can do some shooting in the open.

i do not run priority target on any dd and very few cruisers, If i'm detected that means someone is shooting at me, if more than 1 person is shooting at me i'm in major trouble, doesn't matter if its 2 or 12

Sign in to follow this