You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
onegr8pony

Learn the role of the vessel you are piloting

68 comments in this topic

[TF_64]
Members
43 posts
14,227 battles

It has been my experience that players don't understand the role of the vessel they are piloting. In particular DDs. don't go downrange pop smoke and sit in it. You obscure the target when a larger vessel is following your advance. Sitting in your smoke says the only game you play is to have the enemy come into your trap while other vessels CAs and BBs are spotting for you.  Spotting and scouting is a DDs role. Are you not able to lay ambushes from behind islands? Learn it. Just my rant for today.

• Cool 3
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 4

[WORX]
Members
11,919 posts
19,472 battles
1 minute ago, onegr8pony said:

It has been my experience that players don't understand the role of the vessel they are piloting.

Dont blame the players, the meta has changed a lot.. Whatever you thought a good position was this game patch, may not work on the next game patch.

• Confused 2
  • Boring 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,843 posts
17,389 battles

Random since I began playing is more of a group of individual players playing with a lone wolf mentality rather than a team. If that is the point your trying to make. CB and it’s derivatives of clan based teams is the only place your reliably going to find actual team oriented matches.

[WMD]
Members
1,779 posts
10,120 battles
22 minutes ago, onegr8pony said:

It has been my experience that players don't understand the role of the vessel they are piloting. In particular DDs. don't go downrange pop smoke and sit in it. You obscure the target when a larger vessel is following your advance. Sitting in your smoke says the only game you play is to have the enemy come into your trap while other vessels CAs and BBs are spotting for you.  Spotting and scouting is a DDs role. Are you not able to lay ambushes from behind islands? Learn it. Just my rant for today.

There is more to DD gameplay than spotting for other ships, it all depends on the specific DD, and its strengths. 

While having a DD smoke up and block your view is frustrating, so is having a BB or CA sit in the back telling you how to play your ship. If you want good DD play, play a DD. 

• Cool 8
  • Meh 1

[TF_64]
Members
43 posts
14,227 battles
2 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

There is more to DD gameplay than spotting for other ships, it all depends on the specific DD, and its strengths. 

While having a DD smoke up and block your view is frustrating, so is having a BB or CA sit in the back telling you how to play your ship. If you want good DD play, play a DD. 

I play them all. I'm not telling you how to play your vessel. Just learn it. 

Edited by onegr8pony
  • Meh 1

[WMD]
Members
1,779 posts
10,120 battles
Just now, onegr8pony said:

I play them all. 

Fair enough, what I meant is: If you want to see a consistently well played DD in your matches, you need to be driving a DD, because only you know exactly how you want a DD to be played in every situation. You can take that same sentence and replace DD with any other ship type, as you are the only person you can count on to play each ship exactly the way you want it played. 

I started with cruisers, then switched to DDs because I was sick of my team's DDs all being dead in the first minute. Now I'm back to working on cruisers, because Hindenburg/Zao doesn't care about radar or CVs. 

[TF_64]
Members
43 posts
14,227 battles
10 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

because only you know exactly how you want a DD to be played in every situation. or any vessel.

I started with cruisers, then switched to DDs because I was sick of my team's DDs all being dead in the first minute. Now I'm back to working on cruisers, because Hindenburg/Zao doesn't care about radar or CVs. 

Thanks for the chuckle. I too see that DDs die 1st few minutes. (by players who don't know how to operate them") ( I am sometimes included in that list too.) I also am aware of other vessels not using their expendables which assist other players. I too forget that I have the ability to assist by using those expendables. I know the difference between each DDs capabilities and can exploit them if needed. There are also the ID10ts whom think that the game is their shooting match and run up and sit in the way of others and blocking shots and advantages when they can be leveraged. This is just a rant and I would truly like to see this game give rewards or advantage to players that focus on teamplay and not meplay.

• Cool 1

[WMD]
Members
1,779 posts
10,120 battles
Just now, onegr8pony said:

Thanks for the chuckle. I too see that DDs die 1st few minutes. (by players who don't know how to operate them") ( I am sometimes included in that list too.) I also am aware of other vessels not using their expendables which assist other players. I too forget that I have the ability to assist by using those expendables. I know the difference between each DDs capabilities and can exploit them if needed. There are also the ID10ts whom think that the game is their shooting match and run up and sit in the way of others and blocking shots and advantages when they can be leveraged. This is just a rant and I would truly like to see this game give rewards or advantage to players that focus on teamplay and not meplay.

Can't argue against that, it is frustrating how little spotting is rewarded. 

• Cool 1

[TF_64]
Members
43 posts
14,227 battles

Spotting isn't rewarded enough but it has put me in top scores more than once. " and without kills" Many a time I have held top score and was not  certain until I started counting the spots.

• Cool 2

Members
997 posts
1,387 battles
1 hour ago, onegr8pony said:

. In particular DDs. don't go downrange pop smoke and sit in it. You obscure the target when a larger vessel is following your advance. Sitting in your smoke says the only game you play is to have the enemy come into your trap while other vessels CAs and BBs are spotting for you. 

Normally I pop smoke

• behind me while I go spotting, for friendly ships
  • when in the cap
  • when I'm on really low HP or a nearby teammate is on really low HP
  • if the enemy is between me and friendly ships with a clear line of sight to them(slugging match going on, or I'm closer to the enemy spawn than the enemy ships)
Edited by black_hull4
left out one

[TF_64]
Members
43 posts
14,227 battles
4 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

Normally I pop smoke

• behind me while I go spotting, for friendly ships
  • when in the cap
  • when I'm on really low HP or a nearby teammate is on really low HP
  • if the enemy is between me and friendly ships with a clear line of sight to them(slugging match going on, or I'm closer to the enemy spawn than the enemy ships)

thank you. Just don't sit in it.

Edited by onegr8pony
  • Thanks 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,592 posts
14,320 battles

Some teams also do not know the role of certain DDs as well. Like the previous season of Ranked I never would know if my team would praise me or chew me out for playing Akizuki like a CL. Which that line T8-10 really are like CLs in how they move, concealment, and how they fight. Other DDs like dedicated torpedo boar DDs are not meant to go deliberately gun it out with gunboat DDs. And finally some of the gunboat DDs are not meant to try and play torpedo boat the entire match when they are meant for playing fast gunboat roles.

Although have to admit you have excellent point on the DDs blinding their team with very badly layed smoke. That is something I long have known not to do lol.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,002 posts
12,479 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

Dont blame the players, the meta has changed a lot.. Whatever you thought a good position was this game patch, may not work on the next game patch.

You kidding? The meta hasn't changed at all since open beta. CVs were and continue to be the ultimate scout that allows their teams DDs play both more aggressively and provide that much needed flanking or screening tr cruisers and BBs need. 

DDs have always been that immediate screen and decisive ambush class everyone fears and even more dispise.

If a Cruiser isn't protecting a BB from the little ships, they better be backing up the DDs doing their thing; with or without hydro and radar.

Nothing has changed, nothing has changed at all other than what ships are played and why. Hydro and Radar are too temporary to impose that disguise.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

Members
395 posts
7,169 battles

:fish_book: Meta has change a lot of DD players gameplay that's all  :cap_tea: so don't expect too much.

• Boring 1

Members
4,358 posts
4,615 battles
46 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

Can't argue against that, it is frustrating how little spotting is rewarded. 

Spotting rewards need to be reworked. It needs to not be divided among everyone who can now see the target and fire/flood damage started by allies need to actually count towards the damage count.  

• Cool 2

[NG-NL]
Members
353 posts
10,082 battles

You understand nuance, but plenty of players don't. I lost count of how many times someone demanded I go fight a cap in Friesland, or "get close and spot for us" in Khabarovsk.
Ignorance of a ship's role is not limited to players in that ship type. It just takes more work to show it. :Smile_bajan2:

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,691 battles
2 hours ago, onegr8pony said:

What did you do to communicate with the vessels ahead of you? When I load into a match if I am not divved, I chat with the DD in front of me and tell him I will be backing him. Or I ask him to cap or tell him not necessary to cap, depending on the radar and CV situation. I sometimes tell DDs to smoke and I will spot for them in my BB.

Communication is the key to teamwork. What are you doing to further it?

[TF_64]
Members
43 posts
14,227 battles

Communication is the key to teamwork. What are you doing to further it?

listening to others say "you can't tell me what to do." But yes communication is key, the quick keys are limited and sometimes that is all I have in the "heat of battle". I am really annoyed by the players when you send the cap area A communication and you get negatives from players that are on the far side of the map and would not reach that area in the time allotted by game play. If you can't reach that area or (worse) are not going to try - dont respond. Just a waste of time.

Edited by onegr8pony

Members
3,648 posts
42,290 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Random since I began playing is more of a group of individual players playing with a lone wolf mentality rather than a team. If that is the point your trying to make. CB and it’s derivatives of clan based teams is the only place your reliably going to find actual team oriented matches.

And even then, you will find a meta of humping islands that is comical to see. Imagine a Stalingrad bow in and just jiggling the telegraph forward and back for 15 minutes 😏. I think most married couples would envy that.🤣

[TF_64]
Members
43 posts
14,227 battles
2 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

And even then, you will find a meta of humping islands that is comical to see. Imagine a Stalingrad bow in and just jiggling the telegraph forward and back for 15 minutes 😏. I think most married couples would envy that.🤣

That is funny.

[HARU]
Beta Testers
117 posts
6,445 battles

I am confused. It looks like over 95% of your battles are in co-op. That should be specified in the OP if you are suggesting to other folks how to play their ships in general. Co-op DD driving is NOTHING like Random or other modes.

Co-op is a banzai kill fest that is 90% over in less than 5 minutes. Little strategy there at all other than try not to be the guy the bots are shooting at. The DDs are popping smoke to try to survive the initial spots from enemy bot DDs which charge straight forward. Gives them a chance to survive when all nearby bots immediately target them for being closest and a low hp DD(both priorities for bots). Once the bots have shot then CLs and BBs can keep spotting for friendly DDs until proximity spots begin at 2km. It is self serving but so is everything in co-op, it is just a race for points.

BTW, no ship types are uniform. DDs are no longer just there to be your eyes. Those phrases where created when the game began to help people get a feel for what the ships should generally do. While spotting and screening are important in randoms that need just does not exist in co-op.

Gotta go, have fun!

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
3,648 posts
42,290 battles

I hate to break this to you, but unless you can get two other players to practice a lot before,  then be a part of your division for those matches with excellent comms like voice chat, because in game chat is not useful, you are going to struggle with the competitive modes.

Players in competitive fall in many categories.

The inexperienced, grew too fast. Can't hit a darn thing if they were even up close.

The farmers, don't want to win, just farm XP because they are dead set against spending money needlessly just to play..ahem.... cooperatively to achieve the goal of winning. Often sit in the back with a Thunderer and sling fire as if they left their AP at home with their dignity. 

The ignorant, refuse to use the blasphemous word strategy and like to play ships like tanks because the rationale is"it works" even if it doesn't look right. Will rant, cry, troll, and roll on the floor like a frustrated child that got their toys taken away.

The Khan Noonien Singhs, obsessed with destroying a ship type because they somehow believe that type physically hurt them in the backside so much that they are still using cream to treat it since back in the RTS days. Refuse to WASD and are still struck by CVs with comical regularity and their comeback is a vitriol single finger at the heavens because a ship type removed their alleged appendage that is often useless if they have a 💩 attitude.

The seriously serious players that believe a mythical god will grant them immortality the moment they are declared the best of all time, that the pressure is so palpable and that they will do almost anything, and I mean anything, including getting caught violating the EULA in that ridiculous pursuit.  Are often wearing capes and yelling Cobra Kai!

The filthy casual, the fun one,  that plays for fun and their friends love them for it, no matter the outcome because they played their heart out and faced the insurmountable odds that they seem to be always able to get a victory every now and then by snatching it from an overconfident foe that failed to take this filthy casual seriously because of their carefree attitude or gender. Typical foe is above.

The unicum loner that doesn't give a hoot about the salt, sees things others can't see, does things others can't do, has shaken the pillars of heaven so many times that the Almighty sent him a bill, just sails in getting some, might lose, but at least they lose like a warrior poet with bagpipes playing during their death scene. They will appear when a damsel is in distress and often have unusual fans. They take social distancing to the extreme by never divisioning or joining clans, might crack a pun or jest, will devstrike with sarcasm, may be confused with Rhett Butler or Loki, but are really more akin to John Paul Jones or Han Solo. Definitely Emo. Will only help you if you ask nicely, just don't expect them at parties. They drink alone. 

And then there are the furries. I won't go into detail. That would be long.

[FML]
Members
4,120 posts
16,057 battles
3 hours ago, onegr8pony said:

I understand your frustration. Rather than ranting about it, though, I wrote a guide instead. Feel free to distribute it!! :-)

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/187335-quick-reference-guide-understanding-your-ships-role-and-how-to-defeat-all-enemies/

• Cool 1