Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
murder_0ne

Camo bonuses: something other than concealment? DPM, range, consumable bonuses...

7 comments in this topic

[LZ1]
Members
332 posts
6,451 battles

Camos are very one dimensional. What if we could further modify our ship stats via camos? I think it would be much more interesting and move the game away from "concealment is king".

Some suggestions:

radar/sonor range

gun range/dpm

Torpedo reload/speed/stealth

total ship hp/heal increase

consumable reload/action time

I'm sure you get the idea. Thoughts? I think it would be great to further specialize according to a player's play style. And it's an opportunity to further promote play styles other than sniping in the back and HE spamming. Maybe a camo that provides -90% to all CV damage? :D

[WMD]
Members
1,780 posts
10,126 battles

While on paper this seems interesting, I don't think it would change the way the game is played much at all. Concealment will be king so long as offensive firepower trumps armour. A slightly longer range radar won't prevent a DM from getting deleted if it shows its side to a Yamato. 

The other side of this is we already have signal flags to do much of what you are proposing camos do, so would we lose the signals, or would the proposed camo changes stack with modules and signals?

[CK5]
Members
1,497 posts
15,944 battles

Camo buffs are mostly passive and tied to economic and XP improvements.  The only real exception might be concealment and dispersion and even those are very minor.  No camos are giving offensive buffs and rightly so.  I understand why the OP wants to add something a little different (I assume just for the sake of variety), but it is the first step to another arms race.  Players are already complaining about power creep, why make it worse?

Edited by PrairiePlayer
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
7,341 posts
23,226 battles
1 hour ago, murder_0ne said:

Camos are very one dimensional. What if we could further modify our ship stats via camos? I think it would be much more interesting and move the game away from "concealment is king".

Some suggestions:

radar/sonor range

gun range/dpm

Torpedo reload/speed/stealth

total ship hp/heal increase

consumable reload/action time

And it's an opportunity to further promote play styles other than sniping in the back and HE spamming.

Removing a 3%detection buff won't stop back line sniping/HE spam...it's not like those ships stay undetected while doing that...unless they are behind islands & then the 3% detection is irrelevant.

Some of those (specifically the radar range/gun range & dpm) would promote back line sniping & HE spam.

The concept isn't bad but think the standards are standards for a reason.

[SALVO]
Members
25,892 posts
28,263 battles
3 hours ago, murder_0ne said:

I don't think that changes to camo would have any effect on the "camo is king" meta.  That meta is too strong to be altered.

HOWEVER, I do agree that it would be nice if there was more variety in the bonuses that camos brought.  A very simple idea, for starters.  Maybe instead of all camos giving +4% dispersion and -3% concealment, what if those numbers varied a little.  Some camos might give a larger dispersion bonus but a smaller concealment bonus, while others could be the opposite.  Having said that, I'm not entirely sure that providing some camos that gave even better concealment at the expense of dispersion would be a good thing (as in, too much of a good thing), though the opposite (better dispersion, weaker concealment) seems just fine.  

2 hours ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Camo buffs are mostly passive and tied to economic and XP improvements.  The only real exception might be concealment and dispersion and even those are very minor.  No camos are giving offensive buffs and rightly so.  I understand why the OP wants to add something a little different (I assume just for the sake of variety), but it is the first step to another arms race.  Players are already complaining about power creep, why make it worse?

I pretty much agree with this, Prairie.  That's why I try looking for ideas that don't buff offense.  

[UNC]
Members
859 posts
6,231 battles

What if you could customize the bonuses for a camo?  Given certain restrictions, what if we could pick which bonuses we wanted?  Keep the 3/4% concealment and dispersion buffs as they are now, but put the economic bonuses on sliders.  Choose a camo with an appearance you like.  You can then choose any or all of the normal bonuses:

• -post battle cost
  • +credits earned
  • +XP
  • +captain XP
  • +FXP

Not sure if I've forgotten any, but say for the credit modifiers you get 20% to play with; for the various XP modifiers you get 250% to work with.  Adjust the sliders to suit.  For example:  -10% post battle cost, +10% credits, +50% XP, +100% captain XP, +100% FXP.  Numbers can all be adjusted for balance; perhaps even offer different tiers of camos with higher or lower total bonus 'pools' and camo cost.

Just a thought.

Sign in to follow this