You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Midnitewolf

That special saturation mechanic on French DDs is some serious [edited]

32 comments in this topic

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

Yes I am a bit salty because I just died to that special mechanic.   I was a full health Ostergotland with support from my team and decided to hunt down a Mogador with only 5k health.  I knew with his reload booster I would get hurt but what I didn't expect is to see multiple "hits" from my HE and even a couple hits from a friendly BB, hit the Mogador and do no damage.  What was worse was that I had him down to 56 HP of life, and like saw 3 of my shell hit him squarely and do no damage, giving him just enough time to finish me off.  Seriously, this special mechanic had to eat at least 5k of our damage that should have been done to him and at the end of the day, despite doing all the right things like actually hitting him, I died.  

All I got to say WG is that it is pretty pathetic when your balancing revolves around rigging a ship so that they take no damage despite being hit with shells that should do damage.  

• Haha 1
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 7

[RKLES]
Members
964 posts

You can play one too.

High detection,  no smoke they have a lot of things not going for them.

I think it is fine just the way it is.

Members
1,107 posts
4,792 battles
32 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

Yes I am a bit salty because I just died to that special mechanic.   I was a full health Ostergotland with support from my team and decided to hunt down a Mogador with only 5k health.  I knew with his reload booster I would get hurt but what I didn't expect is to see multiple "hits" from my HE and even a couple hits from a friendly BB, hit the Mogador and do no damage.  What was worse was that I had him down to 56 HP of life, and like saw 3 of my shell hit him squarely and do no damage, giving him just enough time to finish me off.  Seriously, this special mechanic had to eat at least 5k of our damage that should have been done to him and at the end of the day, despite doing all the right things like actually hitting him, I died.  

All I got to say WG is that it is pretty pathetic when your balancing revolves around rigging a ship so that they take no damage despite being hit with shells that should do damage.  

Mate, just, no.

The French DDs don't have anything else going for them to stop taking damage other than their speed. The Le Terrible and the Soviet Gunship DDs suffer from this problem as well, and at least the Soviets have a heal ( and Khaba, that stupid 50mm plating ) to mitigate that damage.

-Shrayes

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,631 posts
12,043 battles

If you're hitting ship components on any ship and they don't break, it'll do no damage. This isn't a feature of French ships, it's a feature on all ships.

image.thumb.png.8d18d790fa46fbee56763d6782864538.png

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
3,360 posts
18,314 battles

Give up the heal on Ikea boats and then maybe we talk about the saturation on French boats.   I don't like either idea...

• Boring 3

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,819 battles

Imagine believing that WG balances ships so the games are fair...

:cap_haloween:

Thats not how this works. Thats not how any of this works.

WG does NOT balance ships solely on combat performance.

• Cool 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,033 posts
11,066 battles
23 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

Use AP. I got a 6k salvo on a Mogador in my Z-46 with AP yesterday.

Very much this. Played against a Jutland yesterday in similar circumstances, me low health him near full health. We killed each other with our last salvos but if he had just used ap for one salvo he would have lived 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,562 posts
4,223 battles

Load AP, you'll always at least get overpen damage on a broadside.

[SCREW]
Members
390 posts
18,120 battles
1 hour ago, Compassghost said:

If you're hitting ship components on any ship and they don't break, it'll do no damage. This isn't a feature of French ships, it's a feature on all ships.

image.thumb.png.8d18d790fa46fbee56763d6782864538.png

You know this isn't what happened. 

[PHD]
Members
1,736 posts
7,123 battles
1 hour ago, Learux said:

You can play one too.

High detection,  no smoke they have a lot of things not going for them.

I think it is fine just the way it is.

Don't forget crap AA.

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,631 posts
12,043 battles
49 minutes ago, xTrowax said:

You know this isn't what happened. 

image.thumb.png.24d544a5aec797839dcdc8f31db3e374.png

Rounds definitely hit me.

[PVE]
Members
7,234 posts
23,080 battles
50 minutes ago, WernerHerzdog said:

The saturation gimmick is pretty dumb but saturation doesn't make shells do 0 damage anymore. You probably hit an AA mount or something like that.

It does on French DDs...that is their gimmick...no smoke but they do get actual saturation gimmick.

3 hours ago, Midnitewolf said:

But even w/saturation it is only saturated in the darkened areas...if you aim at the not darkened areas you will continue to do damage.

And what Herzdog said above about, "anymore"...that used to be standard on all ships...now it's just the French DDs.

But as I said...just aim at the lighter areas & all will be good.

[LWA]
Members
1,193 posts
4 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

This must be why the French love those old Jerry Lewis movies

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,694 posts
24,985 battles

The FR DDs need something.

Bad stealth, especially Kleber in Tier X who's concealment got nerfed.

No Smoke.

No Repair Party.

Terrible AA.

What are they supposed to use?  Harsh language?

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
171 posts
5,735 battles
22 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The FR DDs need something.

Bad stealth, especially Kleber in Tier X who's concealment got nerfed.

No Smoke.

No Repair Party.

Terrible AA.

You mean other than their good range, 50+Knt speed, good rudder shift, largest "DD" guns (not cruiser guns on a DD), best AP pen on DDs, and a reload booster that makes them the highest DD DPS while it is active? The french DDs have a lot going for them, just because they don't have traditional DD stats does not mean they need something more...

The special damage saturation gimmik on French DDs is interesting, but I personally do not like it. It does little to nothing against a veteran player who knows how to counter it (shoot the non damaged parts), but is overly strong against someone who does not know about it.

[LSNB]
Members
200 posts
6,327 battles
2 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

It does on French DDs...that is their gimmick...no smoke but they do get actual saturation gimmick.

No, their gimmick is that their midsection, unlike other destroyers, can be saturated. 

Ships in WoWs actually have more HP than their listed max HP. 

Generally you have a few thousand for the bow, stern, and superstructure each, a bit more for the casemate, if it has one, a "vital ship part," the citadel for everything except DDs and has the same amount of HP as the max HP. And finally, a component that's worth a decently big percentage of the max HP, usually 80-90%, the hull. 

All shells do only 1/6 of their listed maximum damage, unless it damages a citadel. The thing is, the shell will damage both the hull component as well as the specific ship part, leading to the 1/3 normal penetration damage we see. 1/6 + 1/6 = 2/6 = 1/3.

However, if a part like the bow loses all its HP, any shell that penetrates will onl deal damage to the hull component, leading to the 1/6 damage we see in saturated components. 

A citadel hit will ignore damage to the hull component, but will deal 100% of the shell damage to the citadel. 

DDs don't have citadels, so this doesn't happen, but their midsection, their "vital ship part" as displayed in game, has the same hit point distribution as a citadel. It has the same HP as the max in game displayed HP or the ship. So there is no way to reduce the hitpoints of the midsection without sinking the ship. 

Not so with the French DDs. Their midsection has less HP than normal, so it can actually saturate. Any penetrating hit will only deal damage to the hull component. 

Finally, note that AP overpenetrations do not deal compartment damage and will just deal 1/10 of its damage to the hull component. 

• Cool 3

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,694 posts
24,985 battles
6 minutes ago, JimmyTheRealPirate said:

You mean other than their good range, 50+Knt speed, good rudder shift, largest "DD" guns (not cruiser guns on a DD), best AP pen on DDs, and a reload booster that makes them the highest DD DPS while it is active? The french DDs have a lot going for them, just because they don't have traditional DD stats does not mean they need something more...

The special damage saturation gimmik on French DDs is interesting, but I personally do not like it. It does little to nothing against a veteran player who knows how to counter it (shoot the non damaged parts), but is overly strong against someone who does not know about it.

LOL there's other DDs out there with serious FIREPOWER and they have the benefit of Smoke.

You already forget Akizuki, KITAKAZE, Harugumo?  They have insane HE Pen, super fast firing guns, and they still got SMOKE to bail them out.  It even lets them farm people.

Speed is nice until you come across someone that knows how to lead.  Even worse, if they got a ship firing shells with fast velocities and low shell arcs (i.e. German and Russian Cruisers).

Members
171 posts
5,735 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

LOL there's other DDs out there with serious FIREPOWER and they have the benefit of Smoke.

You already forget Akizuki, KITAKAZE, Harugumo?  They have insane HE Pen, super fast firing guns, and they still got SMOKE to bail them out.  It even lets them farm people.

Speed is nice until you come across someone that knows how to lead.  Even worse, if they got a ship firing shells with fast velocities and low shell arcs (i.e. German and Russian Cruisers).

By that logic, smoke is useless because someone can just radar it, heal is useless because someone can just kill you in one or two torps, and AA doesn't matter since CVs are not in every match (excluding lower tiers).

Besides, those ships might have good damage and smoke, but they lack the ability to reliably hit DDs at range, have super long turn radius's, and are fairly slow moving. Not to mention I believe french DDs out DPS them when their reload boost is active.

Also, thank you. These forums would lose their charm if it wasn't for players who judge ships solely on the bits and pieces of ships that support their arguments, while completely ignoring everyone thing else about that ship.

Members
729 posts
10,104 battles
22 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It is not trivial to hit a Kleber that knows what it's doing, even in a ship with fast shells.

If you honestly think the only way it can dodge is by going really fast and hoping that you're too dumb to lead it correctly I don't think there's anything anyone can say to you.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,694 posts
24,985 battles
3 hours ago, JimmyTheRealPirate said:

By that logic, smoke is useless because someone can just radar it, heal is useless because someone can just kill you in one or two torps, and AA doesn't matter since CVs are not in every match (excluding lower tiers).

Besides, those ships might have good damage and smoke, but they lack the ability to reliably hit DDs at range, have super long turn radius's, and are fairly slow moving. Not to mention I believe french DDs out DPS them when their reload boost is active.

Also, thank you. These forums would lose their charm if it wasn't for players who judge ships solely on the bits and pieces of ships that support their arguments, while completely ignoring everyone thing else about that ship.

3 hours ago, WernerHerzdog said:

It is not trivial to hit a Kleber that knows what it's doing, even in a ship with fast shells.

If you honestly think the only way it can dodge is by going really fast and hoping that you're too dumb to lead it correctly I don't think there's anything anyone can say to you.

If you smoked up within Radar range of the enemy, you deserve what you get.

Well I do hope the FR DDs are good for something since they got no Smoke, no Repair Party.

Someone's got to keep you guys in line.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[A-I-M]
Members
3,571 posts
14,437 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yes, “you tiny-minded wipers of other person’s bottoms! Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!”

Members
171 posts
5,735 battles
7 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

If you smoked up within Radar range of the enemy, you deserve what you get.

Well I do hope the FR DDs are good for something since they got no Smoke, no Repair Party.

Someone's got to keep you guys in line.

How does the saying go? Something about not judging a fish based on how well it can climb?