Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArIskandir

Suggestion to improve Dockyard engagement

13 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,599
[SALVO]
Members
5,915 posts
4,946 battles

Ok, I understand Dockyard is meant to be a fixture for the game in the long run, it is a nice extra layer of content and generates revenue, but as it is now there are some limitations to being really engaged in the dockyard dynamic.

IMO the more evident are: Reward ship being uninteresting for many players, and time constraints when added to the rest of the events, missions and grinds.

My proposal is turning Dockyard into a permanent fixture, to have a Dockyard Tab in your port screen and there you select which ship you want to build from a list of suitable ships from different tiers, in order to keep revenue up, a proportional fee in doubloons could still be required to "launch" the ship (as it is now). Construction process requirements could vary from ship to ship to have a fair degree of variability and keep things fresh, for example you could need some "base resources" in the form of coal, steel or even research points, you can even throw in some modules from the tech tree that required to be unlocked and bought to be "fitted" into the ship, and also some the usual "labor" of completing tasks and mission. Anyway, that's just extra and could be adjusted, the main thing here is to be able to select which ship to build and to remove the time limit to completion. 

By making it more interesting and accessible to every player, you could guarantee an increased revenue from the Dockyard mechanic, some players that don't partake in the Dockyard event would be enticed to use it to build ships of their choice, and some "hardcore" players could even be able to build many ships in the time span of a regular Dockyard event. 

  • Cool 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,160
[SBS]
Members
6,123 posts

I like your idea, its sort of like the campaigns but for ships as the rewards. Maybe once the newness of the dockyard concept wears off it might turn into something more like what you are describing.  For the immediate future I see the dockyard continuing on with the fear of missing out/hamster wheel model to help drive sales.    

Edited by Slimeball91
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
71
[O_S_D]
Members
174 posts
17,451 battles

I like this idea too, and it would work if the animation was just a generic ship type. The animators couldn't do it for every ship, too time consuming with no reward for WG, but generic would work. Make it so you would have to spend some type of gold and resources depending on Tier. Something to think about WG.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,605
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,564 posts
4,223 battles

Sounds like a good idea. But I think a first step to encouraging people to use the dockyard would be not taking 2 minutes to load the damn thing. Every time I try and claim some rewards I have to look at the loading wheel of doom for a couple minutes.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,599
[SALVO]
Members
5,915 posts
4,946 battles
3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Sounds like a good idea. But I think a first step to encouraging people to use the dockyard would be not taking 2 minutes to load the damn thing. Every time I try and claim some rewards I have to look at the loading wheel of doom for a couple minutes.

Lucky you, at least you manage to get in. 4 out of 5 times I just can't. Fully agree that would be a nice and easy first improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
264
[SCREW]
Members
390 posts
18,120 battles

Sounds like you wanna turn the dockyard into a more grundy version of the old UU system. Thing is, the reason there's a time limit on the dockyard is because players are far more likely to out money into it to complete the ships faster if they know they won't be there for very long. It kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing on wargamings end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,390
[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,680 battles

This is a great idea. It would be awesome if we could move premium ships we wanted to the dockyard and then build them. Perhaps set up a system of coupons that could be obtained via missions or the Research Bureau that would give you the choice of moving a ship to the dockyard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,599
[SALVO]
Members
5,915 posts
4,946 battles
27 minutes ago, xTrowax said:

Sounds like you wanna turn the dockyard into a more grundy version of the old UU system. Thing is, the reason there's a time limit on the dockyard is because players are far more likely to out money into it to complete the ships faster if they know they won't be there for very long. It kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing on wargamings end. 

They would need to evaluate the revenue they will loose from "hurry up" expenditure due to time running off against the increase derived from a greater participation. In the end the final fee will still be "unavoidable", and spending to hurry up completion would still be an option. I think not having a time limit to end the grind would entice many players (for example me) to "build" the ship. They may even split the doubloon fee in half, like half in advance to "lay the keel" and hook people into finishing the grind, and the other half when finishing, to "launch" the ship.

Speaking as a potential customer, I'm more likely to depart from my money if I'm not being "pushed" but given a free fair choice. 

Edited by ArIskandir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,099
[4HIM]
Members
3,243 posts
14,262 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

Sounds like a good idea. But I think a first step to encouraging people to use the dockyard would be not taking 2 minutes to load the damn thing. Every time I try and claim some rewards I have to look at the loading wheel of doom for a couple minutes.

Or just make it such that it doesn't nuke my GPU every time I go to the dockyard. My fans go to warp speed when I pop in to claim a reward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
264
[SCREW]
Members
390 posts
18,120 battles
4 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

They would need to evaluate the revenue they will loose from "hurry up" expenditure due to time running off against the increase derived from a greater participation. In the end the final fee will still be "unavoidable", and spending to hurry up completion would still be an option. I think not having a time limit to end the grind would entice many players (for example me) to "build" the ship. They may even split the doubloon fee in half, like half in advance to "lay the keel" and hook people into finishing the grind, and the other half when finishing, to "launch" the ship.

I think you underestimate the "it'll still be there later" mentality. I have a few clanmates who had little interest in the missouri, musashi, and Jean bart until they were announced to be removed, and suddenly those clanmates were grinding out and buying everything they needed to get them. Black friday sales are a pretty good example of this as well. Lots of players go real deep in their wallets for deals like that, and i suspect it's because it isn't always gonna be there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,313
[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles

I like the premise- 

Even if you don’t put a time limit on it plenty of whales will still dump money on it since most don’t have much time to play... they’ll play a little and feed the dollars in to speed up the process. One thing about many whales is they’re impatient... and have disposable income to get the things they want since that’s the whole point. 
 

I also like the idea of being able to choose from different ships... maybe from the coal / steel genre and not just unique botes reserved for the dockyard... Okay maybe not steel but it would provide another way to grind the coal ships... 

As it is right now speaking for myself only I have little to no interest in the anchorage but it was something to do... and was more accessible than the time limit on the commander event.

There is really nothing going on now that is enticing me to want to spend money... the couple things I’m interested in are lame [edited]coal Grindy things that I can’t throw money at- otherwise I probably would. 
 

If there was a little less “shotgun everything at once, all the time- no rest!” and instead focus on developing  individual events that had more diversity in what type of reward you’re working towards I think it would be better but then I’m sure the spreadsheets say otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,599
[SALVO]
Members
5,915 posts
4,946 battles
6 minutes ago, xTrowax said:

I think you underestimate the "it'll still be there later" mentality. I have a few clanmates who had little interest in the missouri, musashi, and Jean bart until they were announced to be removed, and suddenly those clanmates were grinding out and buying everything they needed to get them. Black friday sales are a pretty good example of this as well. Lots of players go real deep in their wallets for deals like that, and i suspect it's because it isn't always gonna be there. 

Well. I might be wrong. They have the data, they call the shoots... I'm just giving a tip on how I could be enticed to spend in the Dockyard and not just getting what I can get for free, that's what I'm doing now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×