Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
USS_Taylor_Swift

Suggestion: capture ribbon rework

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles

Just throwing out this idea for a rework of the capture ribbon mechanics. As it is now, you only get credit for being in a cap if you successfully take the cap. There are many occasions in this game where you're sitting in the contest cap (and often taking damage for doing your part) but get forced out for some reason or are never able to take it. However, during that time, you were doing a valuable service for your team by either denying the enemy team the taking of the cap, or denying them the points of the cap that they already had. I think the system should award a "Cap contestor" ribbon for say every 15 or 20 seconds you are in the cap rather than a "capture" ribbon for actually taking the cap. Does it make sense that a DD or cruiser that diligently denied the red team the capture point be awarded nothing for his time spent in the stand off? Does it make sense that a dude can sail into a cap in the last 2 seconds right before it pops and be credited for "capture assist?"

Edited by USS_Taylor_Swift
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
5,943 battles
Just now, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

Just throwing out this idea for a rework of the capture ribbon mechanics. As it is now, you only get credit for being in a cap if you successfully take the cap. There are many occasions in this game where you're sitting in the contest cap (and often taking damage for doing your part) but get forced out for some reason or are never able to take it. However, during that time, you were doing a valuable service for your team by either denying the enemy team the taking of the cap, or denying them the points of the cap that they already had. I think the system should award a "Cap contestor" ribbon for say every 15 or 20 seconds you are in the cap rather than a "capture" ribbon for actually taking the cap. Does it make sense that a DD or cruiser to diligently denied the red team the capture point be awarded nothing for his time spent in the stand off? Does it make sense that a dude can sail into a cap in the last 2 seconds right before it pops and be credited for "capture assist?"

Signed.   Half or more of the capping mechanic isn't covered by the XP algorithm.  That's very poor design.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,451
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,454 posts
14,821 battles

No because all of your progress goes away when you leave the cap for whatever reason. If it stayed I would be fine with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,484
[KIA-C]
Members
3,576 posts
15,755 battles

Let's just start by making capture/assist capture reward XP and not just some credit/XP multiplier.

 

But it's WG we're talking about, a company that said "We're nerfing cap because all DD only focuses on cap and doesn't support the idiotic player hugging the border on A10"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
503
[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,602 posts
4,804 battles

Easy fix.  You do something like that and get the "assisted capture" ribbon for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

No because all of your progress goes away when you leave the cap for whatever reason. If it stayed I would be fine with this.

and all of your progress goes away if an enemy hits you. But why shouldn't you be credited for the time you spent contesting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,451
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,454 posts
14,821 battles
5 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

and all of your progress goes away if an enemy hits you. But why shouldn't you be credited for the time you spent contesting?

You do earn experience and all does not go away unless you haven't earned much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
5,943 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You do earn experience and all does not go away unless you haven't earned much.

Part of the issue may be that some of that is hidden in the algorithm.  All the player has to go on are the ribbons and the score page which leaves a lot of the details out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles
4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You do earn experience and all does not go away unless you haven't earned much.

Is that true? I've never heard about it. Not doubting, but is there somewhere we can see this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,451
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,454 posts
14,821 battles
Just now, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

Is that true? I've never heard about it. Not doubting, but is there somewhere we can see this?

Try a training room, you don't lose it all and there is a cool down for losing more but you can lose it faster than you are earning it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
5,943 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Try a training room, you don't lose it all and there is a cool down for losing more but you can lose it faster than you are earning it.

Capping is the win mechanic in this game.  All aspects of it need to be right in the player's face on the score card or the ribbons somehow.   

You shouldn't need the training room and a spread sheet to get that sort of feedback.  If the game is really interested in improving player performance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles
9 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Try a training room, you don't lose it all and there is a cool down for losing more but you can lose it faster than you are earning it.

wait, are you talking about capping progress? Because I know you don't lose it all unless you take a lot of shells. But I thought you were talking about some hidden xp earned for partial caps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,451
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,454 posts
14,821 battles
10 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

Capping is the win mechanic in this game.  All aspects of it need to be right in the player's face on the score card or the ribbons somehow.   

You shouldn't need the training room and a spread sheet to get that sort of feedback.  If the game is really interested in improving player performance. 

 

5 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

wait, are you talking about capping progress? Because I know you don't lose it all unless you take a lot of shells. But I thought you were talking about some hidden xp earned for partial caps.

Yep, I was talking about capping progress and while the data is not accessible for players it seems that you do earn experience just from trying to cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,613
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,570 posts
4,223 battles

I'm pretty sure you do earn XP for uncompleted caps. In the details page of post battles results there's something called capture points that shows the total points your team took (I think) and the number you got. I'm guessing there are certain set points in the capture process, and if you reach them you get a certain amount of XP regardless of the result of the cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
5,943 battles
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Yep, I was talking about capping progress and while the data is not accessible for players it seems that you do earn experience just from trying to cap.

I certainly don't consider myself an expert on the experience calculations and such.   But I do a fair bit of capping and I always thought it was an all or nothing thing.  It's really cool that it's not but it doesn't really help if a player can't discern it and in fact reaches the opposite conclusion. 

But, this is WG after all.  Opposite conclusions are sort of par for the course lol....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
71
[O_S_D]
Members
174 posts
17,451 battles
2 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

Just throwing out this idea for a rework of the capture ribbon mechanics. As it is now, you only get credit for being in a cap if you successfully take the cap. There are many occasions in this game where you're sitting in the contest cap (and often taking damage for doing your part) but get forced out for some reason or are never able to take it. However, during that time, you were doing a valuable service for your team by either denying the enemy team the taking of the cap, or denying them the points of the cap that they already had. I think the system should award a "Cap contestor" ribbon for say every 15 or 20 seconds you are in the cap rather than a "capture" ribbon for actually taking the cap. Does it make sense that a DD or cruiser that diligently denied the red team the capture point be awarded nothing for his time spent in the stand off? Does it make sense that a dude can sail into a cap in the last 2 seconds right before it pops and be credited for "capture assist?"

I totally agree that you should get some extra xp & credits for trying to cap per second. Someone that comes along at the last 2 seconds to get an assist in capping is not as important as someone who is trying to cap and keeps getting damaged or chased away!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
5,943 battles
12 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

I'm pretty sure you do earn XP for uncompleted caps. In the details page of post battles results there's something called capture points that shows the total points your team took (I think) and the number you got. I'm guessing there are certain set points in the capture process, and if you reach them you get a certain amount of XP regardless of the result of the cap.

I'm almost certainly wrong because I never really looked into it.  But i always thought that was "successful" capture points.  IOW, the capture points that you did actually capture.  It's probably false memory but I seem to recall situations where I I've done a ton of capping but just never actually got the cap and didn't get any points. 

But again, it's always been a bit of a mystery to me why it worked that way and so I may have just not noticed or was misled in some way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
5,943 battles

The one that really yanks my chain is when you're sitting in cap you already own, denying the enemy that cap and, as far as can tell, you really get no benefit from that experience wise.  

If you actually do get experience, that's fantastic.  But you really need to let the player know somehow.  Otherwise players are just going to take on the assumption that that is lone wolf/"asking to get focused" type play as opposed to the most basic of capture the flag counter strategy.

Somehow I get the feeling that WG would really like to make sure the game is as dumbed down as possible and so maybe that has something to do the apparent lack of reward for this sort of "advanced" type play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
264
[SCREW]
Members
390 posts
18,134 battles

I could get behind this. Although I am a little concerned that some players might try and use this to get some quick xp before dying stupidly. I don't think that you should be rewarded for that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,451
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,454 posts
14,821 battles
11 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

what are you basing this on?

From earning far more experience than you would expect from fighting in or near caps or my targets are. They purposely don't want the details of what besides damage earns experience to avoid abuse of the experience mechanisms. Look at DD's they cause much less damage than other ships but their experience earning is very close to that of other ships, yeah they are last but not by much, they are picking it up other places than from damage which means they are getting it from spotting, capping, defending caps, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,643 posts
12,047 battles

I think a cap contest ribbon would be good, with a hard limit. No sitting for 15 minutes and farming ribbons. Perhaps a max of 5 contesting ribbons for every 30 seconds on a contested point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

From earning far more experience than you would expect from fighting in or near caps or my targets are. They purposely don't want the details of what besides damage earns experience to avoid abuse of the experience mechanisms. Look at DD's they cause much less damage than other ships but their experience earning is very close to that of other ships, yeah they are last but not by much, they are picking it up other places than from damage which means they are getting it from spotting, capping, defending caps, etc.

DDs are often the ones doing damage to other DDs which yields more XP. We get ribbons for spotting, captures, and defended caps, and we get a tally for spotting damage. None of that is hidden from the player so it seems odd that they would have a hidden XP count for time spent in caps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,451
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,454 posts
14,821 battles
2 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

DDs are often the ones doing damage to other DDs which yields more XP. We get ribbons for spotting, captures, and defended caps, and we get a tally for spotting damage. None of that is hidden from the player so it seems odd that they would have a hidden XP count for time spent in caps.

A buff for being in/near caps or your targets definitely seems to exist. You really only notice it if you have a very poor damage match but still get big base experience. I don't have the exact numbers but I had a Fuso domination match where I did something on the order of 26k damage which is well below the ship's or my own average with it but still got close to 2k base. The only thing that seemed to apply was I was near the center cap for the majority of the match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×