Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sir_Davos_Seaworth

Book review: The Ghost ships of Archangel

1 comment in this topic

[BBICT]
Members
3,886 posts
4,243 battles

I found this little book on Saturday at my local Costco...I'm on vacation and my wife said I needed something to read.. Well it lasted till Sunday afternoon. Yep, a quick read for even me and my ADD, lol. 

Ye ole Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Ships-Archangel-Arctic-Voyage-ebook/dp/B07H72GF88/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1528I9Q7X7JYO&dchild=1&keywords=the+ghost+ships+of+archangel+by+william+geroux&qid=1600722073&sprefix=the+ghost+s%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-1 

Most of us know about the infamous "artic convoy run" and its part in the battle of the Atlantic. Here is an eye witness account of what it was like to ride along on a merchant ship on such as mission. Not just any convoy however. This is about PQ-17, which some of you might already know about. 

I won't rehash the whole book, but I will talk about a couple things I found very interesting: 

A few "game ships" do make themselves known. The Edinburgh had just been sunk on the previous convoy run, and the Wichita was part of the distant cover force. But the one that takes the biggest role in this story is none other than the "big bad wolf" that is the Tirpitz on one of her rare sorties. A Spitfire recon flight found that she had left her hiding spot, and everyone was sure she was about to sink the whole convoy by herself. This lead to the disastrous order to scatter the convoy. 

As you can guess, the U boats and bombers had a field day. 

One humorous thing I found hard to believe, but seems to be true: The convoy was being "bird dogged" by one of those Blohm and Voss seaplanes, which was flying around the ships in endless big circles. One of the ships signaled the plane and asked him to fly in the opposite direction, as the lookouts where getting dizzy... So he did. :cap_wander: 

Lots of good stuff in this one, and like I said, a quick read for all us ship nerds. Worth you picking it up. 

Good luck on the high seas gang.

Davos :Smile_honoring:

Edited by Sir_Davos_Seaworth
  • Cool 2

Sign in to follow this