Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DocWalker

Zao Unique Upgrade

9 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,511
[WOLFC]
Members
3,195 posts

The Zao Unique Upgrade just completed in the background ... I haven't thought much about it since the Rudder Shift nerf. 

Was already on the fence about giving up 8% range for a little more accuracy ... the Zao's pretty accurate already.  And the nerf finally killed any interest.

I doubt if anything changed in this short time, but please give a shout out if I've overlooked something.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
184
Members
419 posts
7,710 battles

I tried it for a while then ended up getting rid of it. The Zao's strength is ranged fire at the start of a match and it's range isn't all that great to begin with so losing that 8% just isn't worth it imo. As you said it's accuracy is excellent as it is. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,819
[A-I-M]
Members
3,572 posts
14,450 battles
55 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

The Zao Unique Upgrade just completed in the background ... I haven't thought much about it since the Rudder Shift nerf. 

Was already on the fence about giving up 8% range for a little more accuracy ... the Zao's pretty accurate already.  And the nerf finally killed any interest.

I doubt if anything changed in this short time, but please give a shout out if I've overlooked something.

 

I don’t think you’ve missed anything - the UU is simply an invitation to have to fire from shorter range (by virtue of having to surrender the “normal” range upgrade to mount the UU), with no maneuverability improvement to offset the fact that you’re giving up distance/time to evade incoming fire.

At least the UU abbreviation readily lends itself to a more suitable name:

Untenable Upgrade

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,484
[KIA-C]
Members
3,577 posts
15,764 battles

The UU change was questionnable but Zao itself isn't really good or anything right now:

-lowest HP of all CA

-Concealment negated by CVs

-30mm plating which used to be a gimmick of that ship is now the norm for T10 CA

-The increases of BB with guns>430mm making 30mm less relevant

 

The only thing Zao has is DD dispersion formula which isn't bad, but with the exception of Petro and Nevsky, cruiser are accurate enough to consistently land hits on a small target at 17+km.  Competition wise, I don't really see a point in bringing Zao (especially with CV being added to CB) and for fun in randoms, why play Zao when Venezia or Des Moines exist ? If I need an HE spammer I guess I'll play Worcester, Smolensk or Nevsky. Hell even Yoshino is more fun to play than Zao.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
332
[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,038 posts
11,094 battles
2 hours ago, DocWalker said:

The Zao Unique Upgrade just completed in the background ... I haven't thought much about it since the Rudder Shift nerf. 

Was already on the fence about giving up 8% range for a little more accuracy ... the Zao's pretty accurate already.  And the nerf finally killed any interest.

I doubt if anything changed in this short time, but please give a shout out if I've overlooked something.

 

I’ve actually stopped grinding the zao UU several months ago. She’s not a bad ship but there are others better than her in what she does. No sense trying to grind a UU for me, so I put other ship lines ahead of her while she sits still selected as a primary ship but largely unused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,015
Members
2,440 posts
5,404 battles
1 hour ago, AlcatrazNC said:

The UU change was questionnable but Zao itself isn't really good or anything right now:

-lowest HP of all CA

-Concealment negated by CVs

-30mm plating which used to be a gimmick of that ship is now the norm for T10 CA

-The increases of BB with guns>430mm making 30mm less relevant

 

The only thing Zao has is DD dispersion formula which isn't bad, but with the exception of Petro and Nevsky, cruiser are accurate enough to consistently land hits on a small target at 17+km.  Competition wise, I don't really see a point in bringing Zao (especially with CV being added to CB) and for fun in randoms, why play Zao when Venezia or Des Moines exist ? If I need an HE spammer I guess I'll play Worcester, Smolensk or Nevsky. Hell even Yoshino is more fun to play than Zao.

You got to admit though, sneaking up on a broadside CA or CL with AP is very nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
729 posts
10,104 battles

Rudder shift is an overrated stat and 20% rudder shift isn't that significant. A Zao nerf in 2020 doesn't make sense and the module already had a meaningful tradeoff, but a second and a half of rudder shift won't change how you play the game. You can try the legendary upgrade if you want, but it probably wouldn't be worth research bureau points if you didn't have the mission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,484
[KIA-C]
Members
3,577 posts
15,764 battles
1 hour ago, Legio_X_ said:

You got to admit though, sneaking up on a broadside CA or CL with AP is very nice.

 

Way too situational. It's a nice strenght but currently, CV negate your concealment and with the increases of BB with high caliber as well as overall low HP, you don't really want to get close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×