Khafni

Forget about me, look at this!

6 comments in this topic

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,174 posts
22,715 battles

I had a good game but the opposing Halland? Dang, 98 planes shot down!! That is the most I have ever seen shot down by any ship. I know she is a good AA ship but I am nearly speechless.

image.thumb.png.e170fdebb91ef88fea6c665f919311d8.png

Last time I saw that ship she was on the other side of the map within striking distance of our CV. Our CV finally got her but it took her out of the fight, for nearly the entire battle, getting her.

I'm just not sure if that is good or bad. The Halland did sink one of ours but was made irrelevant after that and our CV's kill was the Halland leaving her unable to attack others, or provide air cover, after the first few minutes. 

Edited by Khafni

Members
3,664 posts
42,574 battles

Sometimes the counter cancels out itself and is unable to help the team later.

One less DD is one less spotter. One less CV is basically the same unless it was effective at striking ships.

So unless the rest of red capitalized, it's a moot situation.

When I used to sneak up on a CV in my shimakaze, I would harass with one spread and use the other two spreads to harass the reds from the back. Basically creating havoc. Even if I miss, I spotted while dark, and made the CV focus me in the process. 
It usually buys time for the team to get in a better position to fight. 

Sometimes, sacrificing damage for surveillance is not so bad if you win the match with that surveillance.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,174 posts
22,715 battles
13 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Sometimes the counter cancels out itself and is unable to help the team later.

One less DD is one less spotter. One less CV is basically the same unless it was effective at striking ships.

So unless the rest of red capitalized, it's a moot situation.

When I used to sneak up on a CV in my shimakaze, I would harass with one spread and use the other two spreads to harass the reds from the back. Basically creating havoc. Even if I miss, I spotted while dark, and made the CV focus me in the process. 
It usually buys time for the team to get in a better position to fight. 

Sometimes, sacrificing damage for surveillance is not so bad if you win the match with that surveillance.

Absolutely! I've given up a lot of damage to spot for the team. That pays dividends if your team can capitalize on your spotting.

I wish I had a ringside seat for this CV v. DD matchup. Not really, that would mean I was sunk - but it was probably worth watching!

Members
3,664 posts
42,574 battles
31 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Absolutely! I've given up a lot of damage to spot for the team. That pays dividends if your team can capitalize on your spotting.

I wish I had a ringside seat for this CV v. DD matchup. Not really, that would mean I was sunk - but it was probably worth watching!

It's a thing I do, because heavy radar is used at tier 10, so the cap is obviously covered, but those radars are usually not seen and a CV has trouble spotting. So I flank around skirting their radar.

Misdirection is key. Sometimes leaving a smoke near the cap is the diversion and radars can't resist taking a peek, but I trigger their alert but am well away from their turret aiming direction. Once they activate, I am already sailing out of range and they basically burned one.

I am slipping by them by the time they realize.

And they have a few choices, let me spot them from behind their cover out of radar range, go after me, ask for help, get their CV to find me, or panic.

It's usually one of those lines of thinking and I have a plan for most of those. The panic bit is the most unpredictable.

But give a BB a cruiser to hit and they will hit anything chasing you. Spot the CV, same. Sit right there and get set on fire and it will be over soon. Force BBs to dance wide to my team and again, I am a BBs best buddy.

Sometimes, just staying dark has it's advantages.

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
5,267 posts
6,659 battles

I don't think it's a matter of good AA, as much a matter of AA flak dodging on behalf of the CV. I had battles in Kidd where a single flak burst took down a whole squad, but that was just a mistake on behalf of the CV.

Bottom line, if at same tier and similar skill level, if a CV wants you dead, and focuses you,  you die eventually. Which is an improvement from being crossdropped in the first two minutes by a Hakuryu under the old system.

Sign in to follow this