You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

Italian Mid Tier Cruisers Just Sad

51 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
2,995 posts
24,097 battles

Thought I might resume my grind of Italian Cruisers and at the same time train up Sansonetti, so I have him in Trento and its been really painful, what is with the guns you cant cause any damage with either SAP or AP.

Fortunately I can now buy Zara and move my Admiral up now I'm thinking I made a mistake restarting this line, I don't want to free XP through Tier 7 /8 but I don't think I can handle more of this if the next 2 Tiers are just as bad.

Why is it that most launched ships get the short end of the stick while others that barely got to the slipway or drawing board seem to be blessed.  

WG do something about the Mid Tier Italian Cruisers please.    

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 1

Members
3,664 posts
42,552 battles
21 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Thought I might resume my grind of Italian Cruisers and at the same time train up Sansonetti, so I have him in Trento and its been really painful, what is with the guns you cant cause any damage with either SAP or AP.

Fortunately I can now buy Zara and move my Admiral up now I'm thinking I made a mistake restarting this line, I don't want to free XP through Tier 7 /8 but I don't think I can handle more of this if the next 2 Tiers are just as bad.

Why is it that most launched ships get the short end of the stick while others that barely got to the slipway or drawing board seem to be blessed.  

I think part of the problem is nobody is playing them. I played them 3 weeks ago. You might be the second such player that is even sailing the lower tiers right now.

The Italian line is that oddball one, you either do great or horrid. As in get 3 sunk and you can see the Italian women throwing hankies at you or you are given every offending hand gesture after being sunk in the first minute while being boo'ed in Italian. (While it might seem entertaining to be getting an earful by an Italian woman, it's actually not.)

But yeah, some ships are IL Sucko. The grind is as slow as a Roman march.

To be honest, the SAP does work on DDs well and can work well at range on BBs or cruisers. Catching a cruiser wide is rare in Randoms but AP around 8-10km is the go to.

AP is also effective against the secbats of some BBs but if you don't get immediate secbats destroyed, then try SAP..this pays off at range because you might have to get close to a BB.

The creeping smoke is the problem here. 1/4 speed is ideal to use it, but open water and you are sleeping with the fishes.

Initial start at battle is to head to cover, fire at targets approaching that cover, keep moving behind that cover to kite, and break off. During the break off, if you haven't used the smoke, then this is the best application as you can fire kiting at full speed until you are out of detection range.

Staying dark is your friend. So take advantage of smoke banks but don't move in or stop in them.

These cruisers can be nimble, but making red miss requires operating at longer ranges.

Avoiding CVs should not be a problem if you turn constantly and always never to be open to red.

To avoid a forced wide situation by a CV, try to avoid a cross fire situation.

My impression of this line is discretion with clever tactics applied. Being a pest but being prepared to charge in when you know you have the advantage.

DDs hate you, be prepared to have them try to spot you quietly from the shadows until you are whacked by their team. But even having one gun trained on a DD while retreating is enough to rattle them because that SAP hurts. 

Good luck 🍀

Chuck Norris approves this message 👍

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,191 posts
26,845 battles

If you don’t like the line then don’t play it.

If you don’t want to spend the fxp to skip ships you consider to be bad then don’t.

As far as I personally am concerned; WG’s repeated release of mostly garbage ship lines, in an attempt to drive players to the ‘good’ ships at high tiers, where the line’s ‘flavor’ really ‘stands out,’ has singularly de-motivated me to do so.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[KWF]
Members
5,263 posts
6,659 battles

Zara is where the line starts becoming decent so hang in there. Every step after Zara will feel like a marked improvement. 

4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

As far as I personally am concerned; WG’s repeated release of mostly garbage ship lines, in an attempt to drive players to the ‘good’ ships at high tiers, where the line’s ‘flavor’ really ‘stands out,’ has singularly de-motivated me to do so.

I blame pre-release ship containers for that. Most of the time  without having spent anything I get at least the tier V of a new line, more often the tier VI. Then you put in some work to stockpile the XP for the proper release and you get at least a tier VII when a tech tree goes live. I guess it's profitable for the container purchases, but also harms mid tiers.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,052 posts
11,174 battles

Amalfi, brindisi and Venezia where mad fun to grind for me. I didn’t play much mid to low tier randoms as I think I received a few of those ships in early access but the next ships in line are good and worth the grind imo

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

The low tier are pretty terrible...but, they prevent clubbing to a large extent. If the turrets actually turned and tracked through maneuver, if the RoF wasn’t garbage...they’d be strong enough to really be obnoxious. I’m on the T5 at the moment. I’ll form an opinion at some point, I’m sure. T5/6 are usually something fo a sweet spot for me cruiser wise, so we’ll see. 

[KRAK]
Members
1,474 posts
15,932 battles

Amalfi is so good, I rebought it after I got the Venezia. I think Amalfi is way more fun to play than the Tallinn, for instance. Both of these, though, are way more fun than Cleveland. I do like the Baltimore some, but Amalfi is fun like a TVIII version of FUJI would be. 

[KSC]
Members
2,263 posts
13,901 battles
4 hours ago, tm63au said:

now I'm thinking I made a mistake restarting this line

Yes.....yes you did........of all the lines to reset......

Pressing 'F' to pay respects.  Good luck mate!

[A-I-M]
Members
3,592 posts
14,485 battles
1 hour ago, Ericson38 said:

Amalfi is so good, I rebought it after I got the Venezia.

This right here.

Starting at Amalfi, you get enough barrels for your SAP to be the bane of any DDs existence, and it’s just onward and upward from there with Brindisi and Venizia. I still remember my 2nd battle in Venizia, devstriking a DD from 15km away with 15 barrels of SAP goodness.

I’m probably going to give Brindisi one of my earned T9 permacamos that are coming from the current campaign/collection.

And they have enough jiggle to their wiggle to make reprisals difficult, and can lay down enough consistent burst damage to be more than a nuisance.

And getaway smoke.

Their big lack is absence of hydro and radar tools. Someone generally has to see DDs for you, unless they get in a gunfight with your own DDs. If you’re positioned well when that happens, though, you’re the best friend your DD ever had - help him end it, smoke up & run without shame.

But yes, the days in the low tiers are evil days, be not deceived. I don’t call the T5 “Mont E. Coli” for nothing.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
6,035 posts
4,964 battles

The ships are a lot of fun to drive and dance beautifuly, when aimed properly, SAP does obscene damage, the deployable sea mines are surprisingly effective and you a get out of jail smoke. I really don't now what do you mean OP, this line is OK at mid tiers.

Guissano has one of the best AA at tier IV, something really big considering the infestation of CVs at that tier.

Montecuccoli and Trento are very nimble, granted low RoF and lack of DoT is a limit on how much impact damage wise you can have on the match, but it is a matter of applying that damage where it hurts the most, on DDs. 

Zara I'm finding more slugish, not as nimble as the preceding ones but still fun to sail around and more punchy and tanky.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,869 posts
25,098 battles
5 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

This has been going for a while now.  All the recent ship lines have been like this, where only the Tier IX-X are good to go.  Some of them the Tier IX isn't even that good.  It's actually kind of disturbing seeing that trend.

The last ship line added that had a bunch of good ships spread throughout was the RUBB Line.  Not even the RU Cruiser Split was all that despite the "Russian Bias" claims thrown around the boards.

Even the upcoming USN BB Split looks like a complete fail, except possibly the Tier X.  Which is a repeat of what's been going on for a while now.

[SALVO]
Members
6,035 posts
4,964 battles

5 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

This has been going for a while now.  All the recent ship lines have been like this, where only the Tier IX-X are good to go.  Some of them the Tier IX isn't even that good.  It's actually kind of disturbing seeing that trend.

Yet we players keep falling for it and keep playing into "their" hands by free XPing and bypassing the "ugly ducklings" and rushing to tier X.

As long as it works, they have no reason to do otherwise.

Members
1,326 posts
7,773 battles
6 hours ago, tm63au said:

Do you really want the Arizona to play like it did at Pearl Harbor? I've never understood the paper ship argument, as for the line I'm up to the Zara and so far I liked it and the Trento? you miss KOTS this weekend?  there were people using the t10, hell Searaptor talked about how much he likes it and he's a DD main no?

Edited by khorender_1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,384 posts
9,655 battles
40 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

That's always been my take too, and was when the Italians were released, and I had a couple games in Raimondo. 

I went back a bit later, determined to at least try some bigger guns, so I ground through to Trento. Once I got to know Raimondo a little better, I found it actually pretty decent, biggest problem being the reload.

Now that I have played some games in Trento, with a reasonable reload for 8" guns, I'm really starting to like it.

If the line supposedly doesn't start getting good until T7-8, and I like it as much as I do now....

[SALVO]
Members
6,035 posts
4,964 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

Once I got to know Raimondo a little better, I found it actually pretty decent

IDK man, that guy looks a bit kinky...

NsDBuGz.jpg

Spoiler

[LSNB]
Members
200 posts
6,345 battles

Trento was quite nice after the disaster that was the 152mm cruisers, and Zara was quite enjoyable aside from the low speed because your guns start gaining some decent SAP damage and shell velocity. Amalfi was a joy because the SAP and shell velocity increases even mroe and it is incredibly fast.

I've heard good things about Brindisi, but im my experience that ship ate citadels from the weirdest angles and that soured the experience for me.

And Venezia is just a treat at T10, 15 barrels of SAP never gets old.

Members
1,326 posts
7,773 battles
7 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Both Ducas are a ripoff. I only play them in Ops if at all.

For their tier I like them better than the line, between smokes is waaay too long and I'd rather have hydro myself.

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The last ship line added that had a bunch of good ships spread throughout was the RUBB Line.  Not even the RU Cruiser Split was all that despite the "Russian Bias" claims thrown around the boards.

Even the upcoming USN BB Split looks like a complete fail, except possibly the Tier X.  Which is a repeat of what's been going on for a while now.

On one hand:

I thought Italian cruiser were rough until Brindisi and Venizia.

I thought Brit Cruisers were rough (except Devonshire) until GOLIATH.

On other hand:

Pan Euro DD all good.

French DD all good.

Both Russian cruiser lines are quite decent (although I def prefer CA).

Russian BB all good.

On other other hand:

New US BB line is gonna be an epic suckfest  from bottom to top unless a couple major or several minor adjustments made.

Edited by thebigblue

[-H-]
Members
210 posts
6,448 battles

I've stopped using them in random altogether. Now I patiently wait for the next ranked season for their tier and use them only then. Otherwise with the way things have been in ranked with nothing but one sided blowouts, it's been a waste of time for me.

[CHBK]
Members
1,041 posts
3,938 battles
8 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Zara is where the line starts becoming decent so hang in there. Every step after Zara will feel like a marked improvement. 

Thats basically where I started, I got the Zara from an event, so I have no idea how the earlier tier italian cruisers play.

[SALVO]
Members
6,035 posts
4,964 battles
26 minutes ago, Concept6 said:

I've stopped using them in random altogether. Now I patiently wait for the next ranked season for their tier and use them only then. Otherwise with the way things have been in ranked with nothing but one sided blowouts, it's been a waste of time for me.

Really? I find them to be natural Random animals. Imo, for ranked they lack utility, flexibility and DPM to be be able to impact the match early on unless you blap a DD early on, particularily the medium tiers are not carry animals, they depend heavily on team play to perform at full potential.

Also poor for Coop due to low dpm.

Members
3,889 posts
14,039 battles
5 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Really? I find them to be natural Random animals. Imo, for ranked they lack utility, flexibility and DPM to be be able to impact the match early on unless you blap a DD early on, particularily the medium tiers are not carry animals, they depend heavily on team play to perform at full potential.

Also poor for Coop due to low dpm.

They are not bad for co-op, they smash DDs. And you get alot of XP for doing the lion's share of dmg to the DDs. Then just yolo torp a BB after killing a couple DDs.

The Venezia is sort of the exception to the line, but they all smash DDs. From T6 and up. Hello @Efros

shot-20.09.03_17.09.24-0351.jpg

• Cool 1